2 semesters of research worth it??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally really dislike research, I don't really have a specific reason why; It just doesn't click with me.
so I've been kind of shying away from it until now, but I feel like I should really do it to add to my application

I was wondering though, does 2 semesters of research really matter?
I heard from many friends that research is meaningless unless the same research has been pursued for over a year.
also that research has very little weight unless you're applying to a research oriented medical school (which I will not be)

Do you think that my time maybe better spent working at a clinic/hospital, which I enjoy??

I know in the end, the decision is up to me and I'm not asking you guys to decide for me.
But it'll be nice to have some knowledgable answers :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Most medical schools are fairly research-based and research is basically a must by now. Also, two semesters= one academic year. If you're applying next year, you can include Fall + Spring + Next Summer + Maybe this Summer. I know people get in without research, but I don't see a reason to immediately put yourself at a disadvantage.

If anything, the easy 8 Units of an A that counts into your BCMP should appeal to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools "grade" research credit P/F, so don't count on the GPA bump. Also, spending more time in a lab will increase the chance of schools expecting a LOR from the PI, and PIs can often tell who is in lab just to list it on an application.

I personally really dislike research, I don't really have a specific reason why; It just doesn't click with me.
so I've been kind of shying away from it until now, but I feel like I should really do it to add to my application

I was wondering though, does 2 semesters of research really matter?
I heard from many friends that research is meaningless unless the same research has been pursued for over a year.
also that research has very little weight unless you're applying to a research oriented medical school (which I will not be)

Do you think that my time maybe better spent working at a clinic/hospital, which I enjoy??

I know in the end, the decision is up to me and I'm not asking you guys to decide for me.
But it'll be nice to have some knowledgable answers :oops:

So this suggests that you've done research and just don't like it. If that's the case, don't do more research unless you think there's a good chance you'll change your mind. If you haven't done research and you're saying this, well then, you're just saying this out of ignorance (not meant to be offensive, everyone does this from time to time, I'm just pointing it out) and I think you should do the two semesters of research.

The point is, I think all students who are interested in science careers (including medicine) should give research a shot. If you don't like it, quit and don't do it again unless you really want to. If you like it, excellent, keep doing it! I happen to love research, but I can completely understand why someone might not like it, but you've really got to try it before you can make that decision.