2 withdrawals back to back, kiss of death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuppiedoctor89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in need of some advice. I graduated from university in 2011 with a 3.3 gpa. I started my formal career changers post bac in June 2015 and that first semester I made a 3.67 gpa. I quit my job and just focused on school and did pretty well.

Last semester, I couldn't get a cosigner for my loans, so I decided to take a few classes via community college route in the meantine. I plan on finishing my upper divison classes in my formal post bacc.

So here are my issues: I withdrew from Gen Chem II last semester and this semster I nust withdrew from CalculusI. This was my second attempt with Calculus I. The first time I took Calculus I made a D in it.

So here is my question, am I screwed for getting into an allopathic medical school? I have withdrawn from 4 classes total: 2 undergrad and 2 since I've started my informal post bac in community college. How bad is it that I have 2 Ws in a post bac and back to back semester.

I know that I have to course correct. I have weak math skills and weaker study skills. I have never taken college algebra, so I was thinking of taking it next semster and pushing back Calculus I until my math skills are stronger. I thought community college would be easy, but honestly my post bac was "easier," not because of material but because there was support there. At community college no one helps each other and although I tried to participate in study groups, most of my classmates were uninterested in working together.

I have started to think that I just have too many blemishes on my record and that maybe I should give up on my dream, but I just can't. What should I do? Anyone in a similar boat? Anyone had to overcome those obstacles?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

You are certainly reaching the limit on W's. You will need to course correct and make sure that you apply to both MD and DO programs. I'm sure others will chime in with better advice, but for now I suggest you google "Paul Dawkin's Math Notes". I used his material extensively when I was taking AP Calc and Diff Eq - absolutely amazing teacher. He also has algebra notes as well.