<200 step score = death sentence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alundra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I slipped up and didn't push my Step 1 Score as I should have. I'll just have to live with the fact that I scored a 199 and work from there. I tried to search through these forums to see what others have done in my instance but I couldn't find anything useful. I'm really looking to gain perspective on my options. I've demonstrated an interest in psych since first year (and college if that even matters) e.g. research, conferences, student groups. Can anyone shed some reality on me? Thanks.

Also how important is individual performance on the Psychiatry clerkship if you plan to do a sub-i later?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be fine if you are a US MD grad

I would recommend you do a sub-i in psych to show residency PDs that you really are interested in psych and also to secure a solid rec or two from a psych attending

Members don't see this ad :)
I slipped up and didn't push my Step 1 Score as I should have. I'll just have to live with the fact that I scored a 199 and work from there. I tried to search through these forums to see what others have done in my instance but I couldn't find anything useful. I'm really looking to gain perspective on my options. I've demonstrated an interest in psych since first year (and college if tha even matters) e.g. research, conferences, student groups. Can anyone shed some reality on me? Thanks.

I should also add that I slipped up on another account. I got forced into a Psychiatry rotation first. I'm slipping up a lot but my resident understands it's my first one. How important is individual performance on a psych rotation? I'm prepared to blow the shelf away at the least.

The 199 will be an issue if you want to go to one of the most competitive programs. Not to say you have no shot to overcome that at one of the most competitive programs, but it's going to be very tough.

But there are a number of programs that some would say have really good names and are considered good programs that you probably still have a good shot at if the rest of your app is good and you are an amg.

Thanks. It's good to hear I didn't just blow my entire MD's tuition away on one exam. I'll try to do really well on my clerkships. I still wake up feeling immediately worried about my score but knowing that I at least have a shot at other places makes me feel more optimistic.

edited due to lack of relevance to thread

The 199 will be an issue if you want to go to one of the most competitive programs. Not to say you have no shot to overcome that at one of the most competitive programs, but it's going to be very tough.

But there are a number of programs that some would say have really good names and are considered good programs that you probably still have a good shot at if the rest of your app is good and you are an amg.

Agree with Vistaril

Agree with Vistaril

Me too. Are we in the twilight zone? ;)

If you truly have an interest in psych and can show it, you'll be fine at the majority of middle of the road, solid university programs.

Appreciate the two previous responses BobA and Digitlnoize. I'm thankful to have already demonstrated a genuine interest in psych the previous two pre-clinical years. I'll try my best to add to those experiences this year in whatever way I can. Are there threads in this forum specifically about what students can do to strengthen their application? I couldn't find any but I don't mind searching harder if you do recall there specifically being any.