2006 Step 1 Score Estimator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aaron A

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know about this USMLE Step 1 Score Estimator tool that a few guys (including myself) made a while back. The way it works is you enter your Q-bank, NBME paid test, USMLE free test, or MCAT scores and it will calculate an estimated Step 1 score based on regression models.

This tool has been bounced around our medical school for some time now and has so far been quite useful and popular. Hopefully you all will agree.

Please let us know what you think and if you have any suggestions for improvements.

Here’s the website:

http://www.medfriends.org/step1_estimator

Thanks and good luck on Step 1! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, but how many data points are the estimates based on?

Aaron A said:
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know about this USMLE Step 1 Score Estimator tool that a few guys (including myself) made a while back. The way it works is you enter your Q-bank, NBME paid test, USMLE free test, or MCAT scores and it will calculate an estimated Step 1 score based on regression models.

This tool has been bounced around our medical school for some time now and has so far been quite useful and popular. Hopefully you all will agree.

Please let us know what you think and if you have any suggestions for improvements.

Here’s the website:

Long Dong said:
Hey this is a cool thing.

it was very accurate based on qbank. not so accurate with mcat. i couldn't recall my nbme scores so i did not enter that. but it was dead on with qbank

Members don't see this ad :)
deringer,

It is actually a little more complicated than the pure number of data points. You see, the models give more weight mathematically to the most recent anonymous score submissions. The models were originally seeded with step 1 scores that seem to fit the inclusion criteria that were posted on websites. The models also use raw data from some of the academic publications that investigate the predictive value of some of the standardized tests out there. Given the variability in the original seed data sources, the model is designed to also give more weight mathematically to anonymous score submissions compared to the other sources. The original seed data pairs for each of the different preparation measures exceeded 100 points. The anonymous score submissions have been increasing quite rapidly and are most likely the current dominant factor.

Your point is well taken. It would probably be helpful to put a data counter or something on one of the pages. We just need to find the time...

deringer said:
Just curious, but how many data points are the estimates based on?

Aaron A said:
Hi Everyone!

Here’s the website:

Very cool. The program was within +/- 3 points of my step I score using my Qbank avg. MCAT was a little further off..... Good going. I'll have to pass this on to the MSIIs at my place.

-PB

According to my estimated MCAT, my estimated Step1 score is 249...lol

McGillGrad said:
According to my estimated MCAT, my estimated Step1 score is 249...lol

This score estimator is definitely an ego booster. I'd rather have the fear of god put in me for motivation...instead I'm looking at > 90%.

Is it just me, or does entering an NBME score into a score estimator seem a little redundant? :rolleyes:

Not bad- got me within 2 points based on the MCAT. Way off based on the NBME (but i'm an exception for that)

i tried all the way down to mcat 10 and it predicted 195. somehow that doesn't seem accurate. :confused:

footcramp said:
i tried all the way down to mcat 10 and it predicted 195. somehow that doesn't seem accurate. :confused:

They are assuming that you were accepted to a medical school and successfully passed your basic science courses. That and the fact that the MCAT may not be the ultimate indictaor would explain the results.

Totally overestimated my Step 1 score, but the prediction from my MCAT score EXACTLY predicted my Step 2 score. :D