2007 Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll go ahead and get this party started!

University of Pittsburgh :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Are you guys traditional 4th years, or non-traditional?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats to both of you....how exciting!!!!!!

I'm currently a categorical general surgery intern. Decided a few months ago that I'd be happier making the switch - hence I didn't have to go through the match, which was nice (you should only have to go through that gauntlet once)! Happy trails everyone, and keep the posts coming as you find out where you matched (or pre-matched if you took a spot outside the match)!

How did you manage that?

I left anesthesia for various reasons and have had to reapply through the match, and I am worried about not matching.

How did you end up with a prematch? Pitt didn't even interview me (although I did interview at Allegheny and loved it). I would have loved to avoid this whole process again.

How did you manage that?

I left anesthesia for various reasons and have had to reapply through the match, and I am worried about not matching.

How did you end up with a prematch? Pitt didn't even interview me (although I did interview at Allegheny and loved it). I would have loved to avoid this whole process again.

The program may be interested in him more than you. Allegheny is a solid program too.

The program may be interested in him more than you. Allegheny is a solid program too.

It was a rhetorical question, I'm well aware that the program was more interested in him than in me.

I was just inquiring as to how he went about getting a spot outside of the match in terms of technical details, whom he called, what information he used, etc.

I went through ERAS, which favors 4th year medical students for obvious reasons and puts people like me at a disadvantage.

Hey Vaderize.

If you look at my reply on the other thread , you'll read what I did. Good luck with the Match.

Hey Vaderize,

I'm in a similar boat. I'm a family intern looking to switch, and I didn't get any outside the match offers. The rundown I got from the places that I've interviewed is as follows: Temple has a brand new program director, and he seems a bit gunshy about offering outside the match; Jefferson is pretty traditional and apparently doesn't go outside the match; Drexel was probably willing to, but I had a bad interview experience which bumped them down on my list; Hershey had already taken one person outside the match at the time of my interview and didn't want to take any one else for fear of hurting their "street cred" (those were about the exact words that the program director used); Both Pennsylvania Hospital and UMDNJ-RWJ only have one opening for next year and wanted to fill it in the match. So that's the impression I got from where I interviewed. As for ERAS favoring the 4th year students, I'd have to disagree. I did not fell as though I was at any disadvantage.

Good luck in the match.
-PRD

Hey Vaderize,

I'm in a similar boat. I'm a family intern looking to switch, and I didn't get any outside the match offers. The rundown I got from the places that I've interviewed is as follows: Temple has a brand new program director, and he seems a bit gunshy about offering outside the match; Jefferson is pretty traditional and apparently doesn't go outside the match; Drexel was probably willing to, but I had a bad interview experience which bumped them down on my list; Hershey had already taken one person outside the match at the time of my interview and didn't want to take any one else for fear of hurting their "street cred" (those were about the exact words that the program director used); Both Pennsylvania Hospital and UMDNJ-RWJ only have one opening for next year and wanted to fill it in the match. So that's the impression I got from where I interviewed. As for ERAS favoring the 4th year students, I'd have to disagree. I did not fell as though I was at any disadvantage.

Good luck in the match.
-PRD

Thanks!

I know temple pretty well, the new PD is going conservative this time around, and I don't blame him, it's his first year in charge of the program. Jefferson-agreed, and they I'm sure have dozens of qualified applicants. Pennse actually might have two spots, but I didn't interview there, I'm just going by what I saw on NRMP. RWJ does only have one spot but may have as many as four next year (or so I was told), and they are definitely going through the Match. Hershey did prematch one spot, and the PD there told me the same thing. My interview there was quite fun, and there were several other individuals who had switched to pathology from anesthesiology, including the PD, which I thought was awesome given that that is my intended path (no pun intended).

The 4th year thing was actually told to me by a PD who said that the Match actually did favor 4th year students, and that it was better for a postgraduate to not match than a medical student, as a postgraduate has more options. It makes sense that way; I have a license and currently am employed as a critical care daylighter. If I wanted to reapply if I failed to match and/or scramble, I have this job for another year. A med student has far fewer options. I did discuss the possibility of prematch with Allegheny, my first interview, but I did not follow up on it as it was my first interview and I wanted to see what else was out there to compare (even though I really loved their program).

Thanks, and good luck to you as well. I only ranked 4 programs for family and geographic constraints (can't be more than 2 hrs from philly this year), so I hope I match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say goodluck to all the fourth years! I hope you all match on Monday, and get your first choice on Thursday! :luck:

Is anyone else really freaking out at this point? Ahh! :scared:

I think I've gotten used to the ambiguity of the last few weeks. I do want to know, but for fear of disappointment I'm ok with not knowing. I hope once the shock has worn off, that it will be a huge weight off my shoulders because Thursday is coming slowly but surely.

perhaps i won't be some calm in a year when i'm going through this, but i hope everyone matching this week is able to relax and enjoy things. nothing you do now, including worrying, is going to help. thursday is going to come in due time. best of luck to everyone, and i'm looking forward to seeing the results posted in this thread later in the week.

Just wanted to say goodluck to all the fourth years! I hope you all match on Monday, and get your first choice on Thursday! :luck:

Same here! :luck:

perhaps i won't be some calm in a year when i'm going through this, but i hope everyone matching this week is able to relax and enjoy things. nothing you do now, including worrying, is going to help. thursday is going to come in due time. best of luck to everyone, and i'm looking forward to seeing the results posted in this thread later in the week.

thanks...the love is contagious on this board. :love:

i'll post on thursday IF i remember to after celebrating with my friends.

T-MINUS EIGHT HOURS...START DRINKING!

:clap:

Good luck everybody, hope it is an awesome day!

:D

Party on,
Sean

University of Pittsburgh!!!

Congratulations anencephalic!

Drinks all around!

Hey Jon-

It looks like we're going to meet in person!

Match at my #1.....Indiana University!

Congratulations!

Shanon

congratulations cmz and randomlogik! you guys made an excellent choice! utsw's department of pathology will be having a MATCH PARTY tonight in honor of our new residents! there will be 10 of you coming to join us in july (we filled all our spots) - 8 AP/CP and 2 CP-only. once again, congratulations. if you have any questions about finding an apartment or a house here in dallas, please let me know.

congratulations click! the party will be at the faculty club, same place where we took you guys to lunch when you interviewed with us. this is a yearly tradition for utsw. we have no idea yet who matched with us and so later today (starting at 5 pm), we will be opening envelopes, similar to the medical school match day party. since you guys are not here, we honor your resident hosts instead. the resident host then introduces you to us - medical school, where from, interests, hobbies, etc. it is fun and we are all looking forward to tonight!

STANFORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

First choice... UVA !!! :D

Congrats to all! Sounds like Matches Made In Heaven!
(sorry, couldn't resist...)
:D

Seriously, lots of congratulations...

The Brigham :D

I'll see you in July! :D

This is my first post. I've been lurking on SDN for a while, but I couldn't hold it in any longer...

Congrats to all!

Matched Orlando Regional Medical Center = #1!