2008-2009 Morehouse Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you are truly Slick, Nick!
congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats with us? or anything you believe was special about your application that made them want to interview you.

I'll be brief

Lots of extracurriculars
Extensive research experience
Tons of clinical experience (volunteer+employment)
Did a summer enrichment program
Many employment experiences
Very dense resume
Athletics
Hobbies

Same old same old....I'm not sure if any of this makes me stand out. I believe I'm a well-rounded applicant. Check the MDapps account I just created.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On HOLD! Actually, I was so happy just not to get rejected right off the bat. :laugh: I mean, I still might in a few wks or months or however long... but at least, it's not today, not now.

But... does anyone know what a "hold" from Morehouse means? Is Morehouse one of those schools that basically uses hold to mean eventual rejection? Or do a good amt of ppl get interviews out of hold stage?

Also, is it a good idea to send an update letter or LOInterest letter now ?

im not sure if they really are rejecting people right now, as i haven't seen or heard of anyone rejected as of yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Mr Matt, Congrats on New MCAT scores
Met u at the FIU interview. Persistence is the key.

I had my morehouse Interview sept 26, Love the school, the faculty, atmosphere. They really prepare u to be successful on the boards and in life.Great opportunities to do research and also contribute to your community.
I Love it to so much I sent in a letter of Intent to the School. It's my first choice. With 4 interviews so far and 2 more to go, I think I have an idea of where I will fit in the best and be successful and Morehouse is the best "fit" for me.
I cant continue to rave about the school.It's a gem. I am grateful for the interview and will love to attend the school.

From what I ve heard about the hold, most schools usually relook the ppl in february to consider for invites.It might be different at morehouse but I think when there is still light at the end of the tunnel, you should be thankful. Good Luck evryone in this cycle.

I sent AMCAS Monday got the secondary yesterday and completed it today. Hopefully, there will be some good news. Gluck everyone

wow, complete on 10/13, interview invite today.

I wish i could hear if I'm in or not already. The waiting is killing me.

Hola everyone. It looks like I'll be interviewing December 5. I got an email notifying me of my complete status on 10/15 and got an interview invite (via email) the following day! At this point I am very grateful for any medical school to be interested in me. But I must say that it would be great to stay in Atlanta. I applied EDP to MCG and was rolled over to regular admissions. The facilities were great and the school had a nice atmosphere to it, but I wasn't terribly excited about the location. Plus, I am a big fan of Morehouse's mission to address health disparities in underserved communities. To those waiting to hear back, keep up the faith. And to those that have interviewed, care to inform us as to how the day went? Many thanks and take care.

Paz,
Alex

I just got the hold email today. i was complete at 10/07/08.

i just had my interview there today. it went great-this is really an amazing school!! check out the interview feedback for more details. they said that they will send out acceptances around thanksgiving time. im keeping my fingers crossed. :luck:

Pre-interview hold. I was complete less than two weeks ago. I'm just glad it wasn't a rejection. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone actually get rejected?

i don't think anyone has gotten rejected...which makes this hold scenario a little more negative. i think it's way too early for them to reject people, hence the hold.

Hola everyone. I was initially invited to interview on December 5, but due to a previous engagement I requested an earlier date. After speaking with the kind folks at the admissions office, they asked me if I would like to come in this past Friday and interview. Well, I really can't say enough good things about the experience. First of all, EVERYONE affiliated with that school was so incredibly nice. It seemed as though each and every student we saw made an attempt to stop by and say hello. And it never seemed forced or anything but truly sincere. Also, all the students I interviewed with were great. If any of you are reading this by the way, best of luck on the interview trail, and I hope that we'll be seeing one another next fall!!!!!!! To those waiting to interview, don't fret at all. It was the most relaxed environment you could possibly imagine. Take care.

Paz,
Alex

It is a little quiet in here!!! I was offered and interview YEAH!!!! There have only been a few post from students this year or last year about interview advice. Anyone want to offer anything?

It is a little quiet in here!!! I was offered and interview YEAH!!!! There have only been a few post from students this year or last year about interview advice. Anyone want to offer anything?

seriously-not to sound corny but just be yourself. this was the most laid back and nice interview. make sure that you know what you wrote in your AMCAS application because they ask questions from there. also make sure you know why you want to go to Morehouse!:luck:

seriously-not to sound corny but just be yourself. this was the most laid back and nice interview. make sure that you know what you wrote in your AMCAS application because they ask questions from there. also make sure you know why you want to go to Morehouse!:luck:

Yeah, my interviewer asked me what I learned from my Critical Thinking class that I took back in 2004! Out of all classes! In a nutshell, I told him that the class taught me how to formulate my claims, supporting evidence and conclusion to an argument or discussion. Pretty much the class taught me to think about what I say before I say it. He replied that Sarah Palin should have taken a class in Critical Thinking. :nod:

I just smiled...

Yeah, my interviewer asked me what I learned from my Critical Thinking class that I took back in 2004! Out of all classes! In a nutshell, I told him that the class taught me how to formulate my claims, supporting evidence and conclusion to an argument or discussion. Pretty much the class taught me to think about what I say before I say it. He replied that Sarah Palin should have taken a class in Critical Thinking. :nod:

I just smiled...

That brings up a good point. If you are a Republican, don't wear it on your sleeve at this school. I am not a Republican, nor do I think they would necessarily hold it against you but it definitely will not win you points in the interview. I know they strive for diversity but I got the feeling that they may draw the line here. Just my own opinion.

I REALLY enjoyed the interview there and pray that I get the opportunity to matriculate there.

anyone else interviewing on the 21st?? i'm so excited :)

thanksgiving is almost here-almost time to find out if i made a good impression or not. im so excited!

ariana. I interview on the 21st as well! i'm very excited. good luck

I'm going to be sitting on pins & needles for the next week or so. Come on Morehouse, show me some love!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back.

Paz,
Alex

I've been complete for 2 weeks (today) and have not heard anything. In the email, they said they will send me a letter in the mail to determine whether or not I get an interview. Does this mean that I didn't get an interview?

I'm going to be sitting on pins & needles for the next week or so. Come on Morehouse, show me some love!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back.

Paz,
Alex

I am in the same boat! I am trying to keep myself busy to keep my mind off of it. I would be sooooooooooo happy to get in. Let the LORD make a way. I will pray for you...

I am in the same boat! I am trying to keep myself busy to keep my mind off of it. I would be sooooooooooo happy to get in. Let the LORD make a way. I will pray for you...

Many thanks. You and all those waiting to hear back as well will be in my thoughts and prayers. Just try and relax; we've already done the hard part :)

Paz,
Alex

has anyone heard of someone or been rejected by this school as of yet? i don't think i've heard of any rejections from this school...

Ariana85 and 2blessed,

How did your interview go yesterday????? Did they ask you to write something about yourself on an index card? Did you have one or two interviewers?
I interviewed in October and yes the 3rd or 4th year students ask you to write something unique about yourself that is not in your AMCAS app on an index card before they give you a tour. Also, everyone has 2 interviews.

has anyone heard of someone or been rejected by this school as of yet? i don't think i've heard of any rejections from this school...
i haven't heard anything negative from anyone, but i know some of us are supposed to hear from them around thanksgiving regarding our post-interview status. :eek:

Ariana85 and 2blessed,

How did your interview go yesterday????? Did they ask you to write something about yourself on an index card? Did you have one or two interviewers?

Interview day was awesome, the school is really amazing! Yea, we had to write something on an index card that we wanted the admissions comittee to know about us, and there were 2 separate one-on-one interviews. Morehouse's website doesn't really give much info about the school other than its mission, so the interview day was super informative. I loved everything about Morehouse & am praying for some good news soon!! They also said that they aren't notifying applicants about post-interview decisions til december 5th

Someone with a MSAR, can you tell me the ratio of students interviewed to students accepted at Morehouse?

Someone with a MSAR, can you tell me the ratio of students interviewed to students accepted at Morehouse?

For the 07-08 class it says 248 interviewed, 52 matriculated. It does not say how many accepted. Probably twice that 52. You probably have a 50/50 chance after being interviewed. Just guessing...

GOOD LUCK,

I hope we are in the upper 50

Thanks Beerog2003,

I hope we are all part of the 52!! Some should know soon!

For those that interviewed - how long after you were complete did you find out anything?

I was accepted to my top choice osteopathic school, so I'm definitely excited about that. However, if I get an invite to Morehouse I'm definitely going. I've only been complete for about a month, but I would love to hear something in the next month or 2.

I was complete by my measure on Oct. 30th, however I received a complete email from Morehouse on Nov. 5th (~ noon) and received an interview invite that afternoon (~5:00). Have you received an email saying you were complete? I hope that all works out well and that you hear something soon. Congrats on your DO acceptance, where did you get accepted?

Interview day was awesome, the school is really amazing! Yea, we had to write something on an index card that we wanted the admissions comittee to know about us, and there were 2 separate one-on-one interviews. Morehouse's website doesn't really give much info about the school other than its mission, so the interview day was super informative. I loved everything about Morehouse & am praying for some good news soon!! They also said that they aren't notifying applicants about post-interview decisions til december 5th

Do you think this means that everyone who interviewed before Thanksgiving will find out in December and everyone after Thanksgiving will find out in the spring? The websit says that they give acceptances in December and March, however previous post indicated more like December and February.

I interviewed 9/26 and Dr. Roaf said no later than Dec. 10 would I have a decision.

I interviewed 9/26 and Dr. Roaf said no later than Dec. 10 would I have a decision.

I am pretty sure you will get in umean, me on the other hand (keeping my fingers crossed). You are gonna make a great doctor. Get out there and change the face of medicine.

I am pretty sure you will get in umean, me on the other hand (keeping my fingers crossed). You are gonna make a great doctor. Get out there and change the face of medicine.

Beerog2003 stay positive. One of the most beautiful things about Morehouse is that they really do look at the person and their interest not just at the numbers. I'm sure you will be a great doctor and I will pray with you that you get good news in the weeks to come. Remember, at this one school numbers are not everything and I thank God for that. It just works out that numbers are not everything at my top choice school. I'm sure this makes for a class of people who really care.

Beerog2003 stay positive. One of the most beautiful things about Morehouse is that they really do look at the person and their interest not just at the numbers. I'm sure you will be a great doctor and I will pray with you that you get good news in the weeks to come. Remember, at this one school numbers are not everything and I thank God for that. It just works out that numbers are not everything at my top choice school. I'm sure this makes for a class of people who really care.

Thanks for the words of encouragement...

Hey is everyone excited? Those who have already interviewed should find out if they got accepted soon! Lets keep one another company. I have not interviewed yet but it is still nice to have someone to talk to that is going through what I will go through in a few months.

Hey is everyone excited? Those who have already interviewed should find out if they got accepted soon! Lets keep one another company. I have not interviewed yet but it is still nice to have someone to talk to that is going through what I will go through in a few months.

Yeah, all of my friends that were applying with me have dropped out of this cycle. I am still holding the torch over here trying to keep it lit.

when i interviewed on october 17th, Dr. Roaf said that they would be sending the letters of acceptances out right after thanksgiving. and if we dont hear back by the 2nd week of december to give them a call to find out whats going on. i have been on pins and needles checking my mailbox and still have nothing. this is driving me CRAZY!!:bang:

Congrats LottaLuv
Morehouse is my #1 school frm all my interviews.The price isnt bad for the solid education.Hope I hear good news too.
What date did it show it was mailed out?

I got a letter today in the mail from Morehouse...ACCEPTED!!! :) Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back.

congrats! :luck:
now im MORE nervous than before-i just checked my mail. nothing yet.

what state do you live in? maybe thats it.... i know im trying to rationalize it. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.