2008-2009 Rosalind Franklin Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! I haven't heard of anyone else getting a phone call at this stage. Maybe that's the way they're doing things this year? I also wonder if they're still sending out rejection letters.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm headed to SGU unless I hear otherwise. But thanks for the well wishes - you seem genuine. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
SGU is actually a much better school facilitywise than Rosalind Franklin. That was my backup plan in case the BMS program didn't work out. Just work hard, get that 270 on the boards, and you should be fine in terms of getting whatever residency you want.

20 years down the line, nobody's gonna care what school you went to

SGU is actually a much better school facilitywise than Rosalind Franklin. That was my backup plan in case the BMS program didn't work out. Just work hard, get that 270 on the boards, and you should be fine in terms of getting whatever residency you want.

Please can you explain better how SGU is much better facility-wise? I got in there too and I've seen the pics they send to me, and I've been on tours in RFU, and SGU does not look better to me.

Please can you explain better how SGU is much better facility-wise? I got in there too and I've seen the pics they send to me, and I've been on tours in RFU, and SGU does not look better to me.

There's a whole lot about SGU that is much better than RFUMS. SGU is one of the first schools that have used the same types of cadevers that have been prepared by plastination (What Body World uses). In addition their facilities are top notch. Their anatomy lab especially is state of the art. In addition to that the lecturers that are invited come from top notch research school like hopkins, harvard etc that are their on holiday. They also have live physiology labs where you actually get to see various animals being affected by adminstration of different drugs

RFUMS does not have any of that. They are video anatomy labs are pretty good, but other than that the school has not made any improvement with respect to infrastructure. The exam rooms are from 60s.

If the island had some of the same facilities like U.S i.e nightclubs, malls, etc. I would have definately without a doubt have gone there.

In addition, if you are a workout enthusiast, their gym is ****ty as well. I am, so it applies to me. I had to get an L.A fitness gym membership last year.

OFFS. Any US allopathic school >>> SGU

OFFS. Any US allopathic school >>> SGU

If its the case, that you care about where you went to school, you probably shouldn't go to RFUMS. It was on probation a few years ago.

I'm of the opinion that the only thing that really matters is your board scores. If you can get a 260+ on Step 1, no residency director is going to question you. you could get whatever residency you want, even if you went to Basket weaving medical school

If its the case, that you care about where you went to school, you probably shouldn't go to RFUMS. It was on probation a few years ago.

I'm of the opinion that the only thing that really matters is your board scores. If you can get a 260+ on Step 1, no residency director is going to question you. you could get whatever residency you want, even if you went to Basket weaving medical school

Upon all the benefits of SGU over RFU you still picked RFU?

You make a valid point on the board score, but that is easier said than done. By going to the carrib, you will have to do way better than your mates in US schools. You might be able to make it with some not so stellar score in the US, but that might not cut it as an IMG. Though the school you went to might not matter to residency directors, they do give a lot of preference to students from US schools. People in US allo find it tough as it is to survive, then when you add the stress of living in a Caribbean island, you have something else, because believe me, the comfort level is not close to what is in the US. A lot of the things people take for granted in the US will become appreciated in the Caribbean.

Last edited:

You also have to realize that working hard does not automatically give you that high a score in step 1. Many people work the hardest they've ever worked in their life and still find themselves struggling to pass.

You also have to realize that working hard does not automatically give you that high a score in step 1. Many people work the hardest they've ever worked in their life and still find themselves struggling to pass.

Sure it does. I had pretty bad grades in ugrad and on the MCAT. I managed to get a 4.0 in the BMS program, probably one of the few.

The difference, I worked hard and had a strategy. I'm sure if i can continue with this I hope to God I can get a 260 on the boards and get plastics. Move to Beverely Hills, and date a model with plastic body parts and drive a ferrari.

Sure it does. I had pretty bad grades in ugrad and on the MCAT. I managed to get a 4.0 in the BMS program, probably one of the few.

The difference, I worked hard and had a strategy. I'm sure if i can continue with this I hope to God I can get a 260 on the boards and get plastics. Move to Beverely Hills, and date a model with plastic body parts and drive a ferrari.

More power to you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
JUST A FEW EXAMPLES

New Jersey Medical School to Pay $2-Million to Settle Fraud Case ...
10 Jun 2009 ... New Jersey Medical School to Pay $2-Million to Settle Fraud Case. The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey has agreed to pa://chronicle.com/news/article/6616/new-jersey-medical-school-to-pay-2-million-to-settle-fraud-case

Medicare fraud at UW. (Shorts).(University of Washington Medical ...
Since 1999, Seattle's University of Washington Medical School has been the focus of federal investigation for Medicare fraud

Two Accused of Medical School Fraud - Los Angeles Times
AUGUSTA, Ga. - Dr. Richard Borison and Bruce Diamond appeared to have it made at the Medical College of Georgia. The two had published widely and won dozens ...
articles.latimes.com/1997/sep/21/news/mn-34607

Cornell settles NIH fraud lawsuit :The Scientist [10th March 2009]
The fraud charges first came to light after an undisclosed ... In 2005, the New York City-based medical school paid a $4.4 million ..

Medicare Fraud Settlement Causes Oncologists To Lose Income, USA
8 Dec 2005 ... Medicare Fraud Settlement Causes Oncologists To Lose Income, USA ... Reed Army Medical Center; and the Eastern Virginia Medical School. ..

1) Are you another of John Ragster's sockpuppets?

2) Did you even read the article?

The Usual Suspects is one of my favorite movies of all times :).

I guess getting in somewhere is better than nowhere. I just wanted to let you guys know what you are getting into.

If I didn't scare you off, I look forward to meeting all of you at orientation. Me and my buds are definately planning on hosting a keggar in the woodlands. Will send an invite to everybody.

Peace :)

Something recently came to light. I know of a person who was in the BMS program prior to me who recently got in. He had Cs in biochemistry and neuroscience. His parents donated thousands of dollars to this school the year after and he did research for and got in this year

I'm glad i got rejected from this school, I think it might be good to be not associated with such a corrupt evil institution that spits on the hard work of ordinary students such as myself who do not have rich parents. It is blessing in disguise

With these new finding that have come to light, I am proceeding with my lawsuit. I plan on retiring after I bankrupt this piece of ****

Wow lots of bitter, rejected people from this thread... conceited enough to think that Rosalind Franklin was their ultimate safety.

Wow lots of bitter, rejected people from this thread... conceited enough to think that Rosalind Franklin was their ultimate safety.

The consensus on this thread is that this kid is a psycho and I agree with that but I can't help but agree with some of the things he/she has pointed out. I think that anybody that that thinks that admissions process at many private medicals schools is completely fair is either naive, ignorant, or stupid.Even state schools such as the UofI have gotten into trouble for clout. And, Rosalind Franklin is a private school that is not scrutinized as heavily as state schools. Having said that RFUMS has gotten into trouble with the LCME for "misappropriating" funds. And, having been here for a year in the BMS program, let me tell you there are a lot of *****s at this medical school who I don't know how on God's green Earth managed to get in.And, I research at Rush University for 2 years, and was friends with a lot of the med students there, and there is a huge difference between the students there and here.And, the "rumor" that this school has amazing usmle step 1 scores is just a rumor. I haven't found anything on the internet to confirm this rumor. Their match list is on par with the average medical school

Last edited:
I really don't know why I'm still participating in this pointless discussion, but look at the stats for CMS vs Rush in the latest MSAR.

The consensus on this thread is that this kid is a psycho and I agree with that but I can't help but agree with some of the things he/she has pointed out. I think that anybody that that thinks that admissions process at many private medicals schools is completely fair is either naive, ignorant, or stupid.Even state schools such as the UofI have gotten into trouble for clout. And, Rosalind Franklin is a private school that is not scrutinized as heavily as state schools. Having said that RFUMS has gotten into trouble with the LCME for "misappropriating" funds. And, having been here for a year in the BMS program, let me tell you there are a lot of *****s at this medical school who I don't know how on God's green Earth managed to get in.And, I research at Rush University for 2 years, and was friends with a lot of the med students there, and there is a huge difference between the students there and here.And, the "rumor" that this school has amazing usmle step 1 scores is just a rumor. I haven't found anything on the internet to confirm this rumor. Their match list is on par with the average medical school

I really don't know why I'm still participating in this pointless discussion, but look at the stats for CMS vs Rush in the latest MSAR.

I did...Why don't you go look at that report and tell me what difference you see. you piece of **** ******

I did...Why don't you go look at that report and tell me what difference you see. you piece of **** ******

I don't see any difference. The MCAT and GPA of accepted students is virtually identical at both schools. You were the one who said that:

...let me tell you there are a lot of *****s at this medical school who I don't know how on God's green Earth managed to get in.And, I research at Rush University for 2 years, and was friends with a lot of the med students there, and there is a huge difference between the students there and here.

I don't see any difference. The MCAT and GPA of accepted students is virtually identical at both schools. You were the one who said that:

that can't be true. That means RFUMS is fudging the numbers. I had 2.8 and a 25 on the MCATs and there were people with worse than these in the BMS program that matriculated into CMS.

I knew this was a pretty shady school, no wonder people with my ugrad stats got in. hahahah

Not to mention I was also referring to the NBME report. Not the MSAR, the MSAR report has no relevance to USMLE Step 1 scores. It only lists matriculants GPA + MCAT scores.

Obviously your pea sized turkish brain won't understand that. Why don't you go kill some innocent Armenians and then deny it, ya freak.

that can't be true. That means RFUMS is fudging the numbers. I had 2.8 and a 25 on the MCATs and there were people with worse than these in the BMS program that matriculated into CMS.

Damn, you must've been one of those ******s you were talking about:

bizlove1234 said:
And, having been here for a year in the BMS program, let me tell you there are a lot of *****s at this medical school who I don't know how on God's green Earth managed to get in.And, I research at Rush University for 2 years, and was friends with a lot of the med students there, and there is a huge difference between the students there and here.

Just in case any prospective students were concerned, it is certainly, without a doubt, better to go to Rosalind Franklin (or any accredited US med school) than a Caribbean med school with respect to obtaining a residency position.

I spent some time over the summer working for a student from a Caribbean school. He had done very well on Step 1 (236) and had done his rotations in the US, but told me that his chances of getting into any competitive residency were low. Several of the programs he wanted to apply to had unreasonable requirements placed only on IMG applicants (e.g. must have at least a 240 on Step 1, must be the first author of multiple publications in the field you are trying to obtain a residency position in).

Every med student coming from a US accredited school is virtually guaranteed a residency position. Definitely not the case for IMGs. Also, Rosalind Franklin always does pretty well in the match.

Those are nothing but lies that have been perpetuated by the medical establishment who are afraid to relinquish control. Carribbean IMGs are taught the same material that U.S allopathic students are being taught. How dare you question their credentials?????????????? I bet I can whoop the **** out of anyone of you on the boards

Those are nothing but lies that have been perpetuated by the medical establishment who are afraid to relinquish control. Carribbean IMGs are taught the same material that U.S allopathic students are being taught. How dare you question their credentials?????????????? I bet I can whoop the **** out of anyone of you on the boards
Please take it easy, NKat was only saying that it is much harder to obtain a residency position for Caribbean IMGs and that there are additional hoops that one must jump through in order to succeed as opposed to attending a lower-ranked US MD school. He in no way questioned their credentials or validity.

I'm sorry if you're used to having to defend Caribbean IMGs, but this thread is not where it's happening. Ease up.

I was certainly not aiming to offend anyone. I know that students at Caribbean schools are taught the same material, and I think it's ridiculous that an IMG who gets an excellent board score may have a very hard time getting a residency position in a competitive field.

But I wanted to make it clear to people reading this board that, unfair as it may be, that is the case. It is undeniably harder to get residency positions as an IMG. If you are accepted to both a US school and a Caribbean school, your chances of getting any residency position will be higher if you go to the US school, regardless of which school it is, regardless of whether the Caribbean school has better classes and facilities, unfair as that may be.

I was certainly not aiming to offend anyone. I know that students at Caribbean schools are taught the same material, and I think it's ridiculous that an IMG who gets an excellent board score may have a very hard time getting a residency position in a competitive field.

But I wanted to make it clear to people reading this board that, unfair as it may be, that is the case. It is undeniably harder to get residency positions as an IMG. If you are accepted to both a US school and a Caribbean school, your chances of getting any residency position will be higher if you go to the US school, regardless of which school it is, regardless of whether the Caribbean school has better classes and facilities, unfair as that may be.

word.

Status
Not open for further replies.