2008-2009 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just adding myself to the pre-interview hold list. Weird how ppl with super high stats are getting put on hold though. What the heck? Ooh, and I'm IS

Members don't see this ad.

When were all of you guys complete? Before Aug 1st?

Hold me hold me.

Woohoo Hold. I mean Doh! Stupid hold :eek:

Complete 7/22

Members don't see this ad :)
btw I am also IS and I was put on hold... so its not only oos

Complete 8/5

I don't get it though - looks like some ppl in this thread have super competitive stats. Why would SUNY put them on hold?

Complete 8/5

I don't get it though - looks like some ppl in this thread have super competitive stats. Why would SUNY put them on hold?

Maybe Upstate feels like they are being used as a backup school by them and will wait till later in the season once some acceptances have gone out then will invite some to interview to see if they are still interested, who knows. My stats aren't that great and I am not on hold yet. Hopefully it says that way*crosses fingers*.

Maybe Upstate feels like they are being used as a backup school by them and will wait till later in the season once some acceptances have gone out then will invite some to interview to see if they are still interested, who knows. My stats aren't that great and I am not on hold yet. Hopefully it says that way*crosses fingers*.

You're probably right. This process dumbfounds me. haha anyway, looks like you're still in the running - good luck!

I also got a pre-interview hold today and I'm IS and I think my application is pretty ok. Not trying to destroy your theory. Just putting in my 2 cents for what it's worth. Kinda strange there's so many holds right?

pretty okay my ass. your effin unbelievable

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current student at Upstate. A classmate of mine said that the applications to the school have increased dramatically this year, so the admissions office may take a little longer to review everyone's applications and interview people. I wouldn't worry too much at this point about not getting an interview though. I was an OOS student and didn't interview until February when I applied.

I am not onhold yet, and I am OOS. Hopefully it doesn't mean this will turn into my very first rejection letter.

EDIT: my application is completed way early, like 7/15 or something.

They received everything of mine, and it is listed on their website that they have, but I am still "Incomplete"... ? Also, do they accept LORs in addition to the committee letter? If so, and they haven't set mine as complete yet, I will send in two more LORs. Thanks.

They received everything of mine, and it is listed on their website that they have, but I am still "Incomplete"... ? Also, do they accept LORs in addition to the committee letter? If so, and they haven't set mine as complete yet, I will send in two more LORs. Thanks.
I'm still incomplete too and I don't know why. It's really odd.

So can/should we send update letters in a few months or something? It said we would be reviewed "one more time after THE ENTIRE APPLICANT POOL HAS BEEN RECEIVED" !!!! Does this mean any updates are pointless since they wont look at our app anyways until their deadline 6 months from now?

I phoned admissions today and they said that people on hold won't be looked at again until January or February. :eek:

Pre interview hold...hopefully I can withdraw soon.

for the essay, are most applicants that aren't taking time off suppose to leave the essay blank?
reason asking is I am a rising senior so i still have 1 year before matriculation but i applied this cycle....you guys just list activities ur doing as a senior in undergrad?

I am not sure how I got an interview being oos...any current student knows how I can get in touch with students willing to host prospective students...?

I received an e-mail saying I was complete on 7/31.

I am not sure how I got an interview being oos...any current student knows how I can get in touch with students willing to host prospective students...?

I would e-mail the admissions office. They e-mailed the current students about a month ago asking for students to host people interviewing, so they should have a list of people available.

Anyone's application also showing up as 'incomplete' even though everything else has been received?

Although the 'status' box beside each item is empty for some reason :confused:

Mine says complete but the status box is still empty...i don't know why they're there. no email either

Last edited:
I would e-mail the admissions office. They e-mailed the current students about a month ago asking for students to host people interviewing, so they should have a list of people available.

thanks Meli

Does anyone know how long it takes them to email instructions on accessing the secondary? My AMCAS app was sent to SUNY on 8/11/08 and I haven't received one yet.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how long it takes them to email instructions on accessing the secondary? My AMCAS app was sent to SUNY on 8/11/08 and I haven't received one yet.

Thanks!

Mmm, my AMCAS was verified 7/21(ish?) and I got their secondary the next day. They're probably more swamped now though, so who knows.

So how long did it take for you guys to have your letters of rec received? I sent them from Interfolio 8/15 electronically but they still sent me an email about missing items today. :confused:

I was verified several weeks ago but still haven't recieved the secondary for upstate either. Got it for all the other SUNYs though.

The essays for the interview are supposed to be submitted within a week before the interview, right? Or can we submit them within a week after the interview?

I submitted everything at the beginning of August. I sent my Interfolio packet on the 6th and got an email today that I was not complete. This is frustrating, why are they taking so long to get LORs entered?!?

All of my required documents have been received.

However, the status still show as: Incomplete.

Any idea how long it would take for that to change?

Preinterview hold as well. Technically, Im OOS(CA), but Ive been in NY since 2007. Who got an interview so far?

Does anyone know if the supplemental essays (that are given to interviewees) are meant to help guide the interview? Will the person interviewing us use/see these essays?

I was marked complete last week. I check my stat page again today and it shows that there are two applications created. In one of the app, I am marked complete (They have received: Secondary App, fee, and LORs). In the second app, I am marked in complete (They have only received college transcript).

Note that there was no line on the bottom for college transcript in the completed app. Anyone else get the same thing?

And what is application preference?

I was marked complete last week. I check my stat page again today and it shows that there are two applications created. In one of the app, I am marked complete (They have received: Secondary App, fee, and LORs). In the second app, I am marked in complete (They have only received college transcript).

Note that there was no line on the bottom for college transcript in the completed app. Anyone else get the same thing?

Mine is still complete with one app, and has been that way for awhile. Did you send an update transcript or something to them?

Mine is still complete with one app, and has been that way for awhile. Did you send an update transcript or something to them?

Nope, I checked with my other friend. She had the same thing. I was marked complete on 8/28

Nope, I checked with my other friend. She had the same thing. I was marked complete on 8/28

I had the same problem and just called to see what was going on.

Apparently, it was created due to an error and they are now going back and deleting these duplicate applications.

I've actually had a different problem. Before today my status read "complete" now I do not even have a section for status. I emailed them about this, but I have not heard back yet. Hopefully, this does not mean a rejection :(

*Update* They just emailed me that I am on Pre-interview Hold...well, this is still better than a rejection (pink instead of red on my spreadsheet).

Last edited:
i am out of state, got the complete email 8/13, nothing since then, is this a rejection?

Did it take awhile for the supplemental fee to be processed? They have my secondary & LORs but it still doesn't say I paid (but I paid via credit card on the 28th). Is this normal?

Does anyone know if the supplemental essays (that are given to interviewees) are meant to help guide the interview? Will the person interviewing us use/see these essays?

I am not sure but I think you should definitely know what you wrote and why.

To your other question, I think the essays are definitely due one week before the interview.

Did it take awhile for the supplemental fee to be processed? They have my secondary & LORs but it still doesn't say I paid (but I paid via credit card on the 28th). Is this normal?

Took a few days for my fee to post.

Also, the site marked me complete for awhile, I finally got the complete email today (10 days after).

If anyone wants to know:

Essays for applicants receiving interviews:

As part of the personal interview, you must submit the answers to the following essay questions and upload your document here (please only submit one document).
Question #1 - Identify four of your major interests and describe how these have shaped your character and will contribute to your success as a physician.

Question #2 - An effective physician is a good problem solver. Describe a problem that you faced and the steps that you took to arrive at its solution.

Note: Your essay must be in either doc or pdf format. Essays must be submitted within 1 week (7 days) of the interview.

Was I just rejected? My status field on my application disappeared a few days ago (from complete to.. nothing) so I emailed them about it. Today I received the following reply:

'A decision has been reached regarding your application. You will be notified of that decision as quickly as possible."

My application page hasn't changed... am I right to assume that this is probably a rejection and it's being sent via snail mail?

i actually had been offered an interview, posted my essay but for some reason no longer have access to the interview link. my interview is next week and today was the day the essays are due but anyone have an idea? maybe ill call them

Was I just rejected? My status field on my application disappeared a few days ago (from complete to.. nothing) so I emailed them about it. Today I received the following reply:

'A decision has been reached regarding your application. You will be notified of that decision as quickly as possible."

My application page hasn't changed... am I right to assume that this is probably a rejection and it's being sent via snail mail?
when my complete disappeared it was accompanied by a pre-interview hold email

Status
Not open for further replies.