2008-2009 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure they only meet once a week and that that day is Tuesday or Wednesday where they review the applicants of the week before. I interviewed on 10/1 and was reviewed three weeks after (10/22) which is when I looked at my Application Status and it said "Decision Made." You interviewed the week after me, so I would say don't worry about it until next Wednesday at the earliest. I think they're trying to have 3-4-week turnarounds. You should get something in the mail by Saturday (maybe later; I live in NY so it didn't take too long to get to me). Good luck!

I think he's worrying more because I interviewed on the same day and have already received a decision. :oops::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i was put on pre-interview hold today as well, has anybody figured out any stats on this as to how many end up actually getting interviews?

Pre interview hold. Why can't they just reject us instead of this bull****?

Pre-interview hold

I refuse to lose hope before the actual rejection :oops:

Pre-interview hold

I refuse to lose hope before the actual rejection :oops:

How do you know if you are put on pre-interview hold? Do they send an email or is it on the status-page?

How do you know if you are put on pre-interview hold? Do they send an email or is it on the status-page?

E-mail. And you're not put on pre-interview hold, but pre-interview HOLD. They make sure to capitalize the word HOLD multiple times throughout the e-mail as if each time you see it its like hitting you in the face with a golf club.

I got an e-mail and my "complete" status on the status page disappeared as well

That seems to be the trend

Is there a high priority as well as a regular hold??

Last edited:
E-mail. And you're not put on pre-interview hold, but pre-interview HOLD. They make sure to capitalize the word HOLD multiple times throughout the e-mail as if each time you see it its like hitting you in the face with a golf club.

Does it feel like a driver or pitching wedge hitting you in the face?

Also put on hold today... I was feeling down for about half an hour til i got my invite to minnesota! I must admit a hold is better than a reject. Just something about the words "will not consider your application further"...

For everyone that was put on hold today, when were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
:)

I was complete 9/26

I don't know if there is a high priority hold...I know there's a high priority waiting list.

I got an e-mail and my "complete" status on the status page disappeared as well

That seems to be the trend

Is there a high priority as well as a regular hold??

Also put on hold today... I was feeling down for about half an hour til i got my invite to minnesota! I must admit a hold is better than a reject. Just something about the words "will not consider your application further"...
hey when were u complete at minnesota? and are u a ny resident? thanks!

also, does anybody know if there is a statistics for what % of people with interviews get accepted at each school?

hey when were u complete at minnesota? and are u a ny resident? thanks!

also, does anybody know if there is a statistics for what % of people with interviews get accepted at each school?

When I interviewed at Upstate they told me they accept about 350 out of 800 interviewees (out of about 5000 apps). The rest are either rejected or put on one of two hold lists. They said if you're put on the secondary hold consider re-applying because they never make it to that list.

When I interviewed at Upstate they told me they accept about 350 out of 800 interviewees (out of about 5000 apps). The rest are either rejected or put on one of two hold lists. They said if you're put on the secondary hold consider re-applying because they never make it to that list.

what are the two holds? i am on pre-interview hold, do they get to that one?

Are the two list you are referring to: pre-interview hold versus post interview hold (aka waitlist)?

Are the two list you are referring to: pre-interview hold versus post interview hold (aka waitlist)?

yea, pretty sure it meant if you are a pre-interview hold, you should re-apply because they never take anyone off of that list. I'm in that group :(

yea, pretty sure it meant if you are a pre-interview hold, you should re-apply because they never take anyone off of that list. I'm in that group :(

me too ... why don't they just reject more people then!?!?

guys

when it said decision made before interview on status page it means rejection???:(

I actually thought they were talking about post-interview holds - the waitlists and not the pre-interview holds.

I actually thought they were talking about post-interview holds - the waitlists and not the pre-interview holds.

ohhh maybe, I assumed 'secondary hold' means pre-interview hold. I didn't think there was a difference between waitlist and post-interview hold. Well, if they don't even get to the post-interview hold ppl, then they definitly don't need pre-interview hold ppl.

thanks. so if you take into account all the people who are waitlisted but ultimately accepted, then it should be >400/800?

Sorry for the confusion. There are two post-interview hold groups- a "high priority" and "low priority." They told me they haven't made it to the low priority group in years. They didn't mention anything about pre-interview holds but I would think it would be very different with people coming off that list at a different rate- I really don't know though.

As for how many they accept- I think the 350/800 was the final number of acceptances? It could get up to 400 I suppose. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed...

Did anyone else who interviewed on 10/6 hear back yet??...i still haven't and my status page still says "congratulations on being accepted for an interview"...I don't know what to think because my interview was almost a month ago and it still says that...

Did anyone else who interviewed on 10/6 hear back yet??...i still haven't and my status page still says "congratulations on being accepted for an interview"...I don't know what to think because my interview was almost a month ago and it still says that...

Nope, I interviewed on the 6th also, but when I called the Admissions office last week, they told me to wait a few weeks because my file had not gone to committee yet...

Hi, I have an upcoming interview on the 24th. Did anyone use an overnight host or did you all stay in hotels? Anyone care to weigh in which option they preferred?

Nope, I interviewed on the 6th also, but when I called the Admissions office last week, they told me to wait a few weeks because my file had not gone to committee yet...

You still haven't heard back?? Man, I wonder what I did so wrong to get myself an insta-waitlist. :(

Well, actually I think I know what it was, but I wonder what other factors may have been considered and how. :oops:

Yikes- I thought the turn around was about 3 weeks for them. My interview was 10/20 and i was hoping to hear by Thanksgiving- is that unrealistic?

You still haven't heard back?? Man, I wonder what I did so wrong to get myself an insta-waitlist. :(

Well, actually I think I know what it was, but I wonder what other factors may have been considered and how. :oops:

I did send my 3rd year choice paper thing to them at the really close to the two week deadline, but besides that, I cannot think of a single reason why I have not heard anything... I am going to stop caring, because every school I start obsessively caring about hearing back from end up either rejecting me or waitlisting me...

I did send my 3rd year choice paper thing to them at the really close to the two week deadline, but besides that, I cannot think of a single reason why I have not heard anything... I am going to stop caring, because every school I start obsessively caring about hearing back from end up either rejecting me or waitlisting me...

i sent mine close to the deadline too. is our application only marked complete until they've received that?

i sent mine close to the deadline too. is our application only marked complete until they've received that?

I think that might be the reason why. I remember at the interview that they said that they will not make a decision until they get the paper back. So that might be the reason? Atleast that is what I keep telling myself...:laugh:

Does anyone have any definitive answers about the pre-interview hold?

Does ANYONE come off of it??

Does anyone have any definitive answers about the pre-interview hold?

Does ANYONE come off of it??

From what I have read in posts from previous years... it does happen. The question is how many people generally come off hold... most comments seem to be pretty negative :(

That 3rd year choice paper can't be the reason guys...i handed mine to the secretary on the way out of the building on the same day...either they lost it or the adcom is just taking forever...

That 3rd year choice paper can't be the reason guys...i handed mine to the secretary on the way out of the building on the same day...either they lost it or the adcom is just taking forever...

I guess they are backlogged right now?

I faxed it back on the Sunday before the 'deadline,' and got an insta-waitlist, but I think that may have more to do with sending in the un-garbled essays at the same time...:oops:

Hey kids,
I go here, and though I'm no official, I did go through this process last year, so I'll try to help.

First off, congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! If you are waiting on a response post interview, hang tight, they took about three weeks at this point in the cycle and four weeks later on. However, they have changed up their meeting schedule so I'm not sure if the timetable will be exactly the same. In any case, if it says decision made pre-interview, you did not get in. If it says decision made post-interview, you should find out within a week.

To all of you with pre-interview holds, you probably won't get an interview, but a few will, however it won't be scheduled until maybe March. So yeah, it could happen, but don't hold your breath.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about the school! It's a great place, I love it!

I'm just glad we didn't have to write those essays...

Hey kids,
I go here, and though I'm no official, I did go through this process last year, so I'll try to help.

First off, congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! If you are waiting on a response post interview, hang tight, they took about three weeks at this point in the cycle and four weeks later on. However, they have changed up their meeting schedule so I'm not sure if the timetable will be exactly the same. In any case, if it says decision made pre-interview, you did not get in. If it says decision made post-interview, you should find out within a week.

To all of you with pre-interview holds, you probably won't get an interview, but a few will, however it won't be scheduled until maybe March. So yeah, it could happen, but don't hold your breath.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about the school! It's a great place, I love it!

I'm just glad we didn't have to write those essays...

I understand, but Monday will be the 5 week mark... I am just wondering what the hold up is? Oh well, whenever a school tells me a decision will be made in X amount of weeks, it has ended in Sadness (SF, Mayo, Vandy:() I should just keep waiting and hope for the best, because I really liked Upstate and Syracuse!

I faxed it back on the Sunday before the 'deadline,' and got an insta-waitlist, but I think that may have more to do with sending in the un-garbled essays at the same time...:oops:

What exactly happened with your essays?

I understand, but Monday will be the 5 week mark... I am just wondering what the hold up is? Oh well, whenever a school tells me a decision will be made in X amount of weeks, it has ended in Sadness (SF, Mayo, Vandy:() I should just keep waiting and hope for the best, because I really liked Upstate and Syracuse!

If it hasn't gone to committee yet, don't worry. They just need your campus choice before they make a decision, and since they say it hasn't gone to committee, no decision has been made. In fact, the day after it has been reviewed your status page will have a new line that says "decision made". If you got in you should receive a phone call within about a week. If you were waitlisted you will receive a letter.

They say that the Interview Essays must be submitted within 7 days of your interview date. Can I upload them now if I am already done even though my date isn't till December 1st? I'm sure I can but I just wanted to see what others have done..

Thanks

They say that the Interview Essays must be submitted within 7 days of your interview date. Can I upload them now if I am already done even though my date isn't till December 1st? I'm sure I can but I just wanted to see what others have done..

Thanks

Nothing like being proactive! If you are worried about it, just call them sometime next week.

Interviewed 10/20... accepted 11/10

:) yay Upstate

Status
Not open for further replies.