2008-2009 Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please share with us your thoughts on specialties and how you plan to choose yours (limit of 250 words).

The admissions committee requests that you write another essay that provides us with some insight into you as a person. The content should NOT repeat anything that we can learn from the AMCAS essay. However, other than that you may discuss any topic you choose. The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

Members don't see this ad.

If I get screened out, I'm seriously going to cry...

According to my status page my application hasn't been screened yet.
dont worry about it...they said that it may take several weeks for the initial review of the application, my bet is you hear something the middle of next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what percentage of applications do they usually screen out before secondaries? Thanks

Does anyone know what percentage of applications do they usually screen out before secondaries? Thanks

Last year roughly 50% were screened; I believe about 5,500 applied, and 2,500 were offered secondaries.

VCU has graciously granted me access to their secondary now. In it they want you to click on classes that fullfill their requirements. Now, I have bio classes in which I got a lot better grades than those in the basic series. Can I use those or should I just use the basic series ones?

VCU has graciously granted me access to their secondary now. In it they want you to click on classes that fullfill their requirements. Now, I have bio classes in which I got a lot better grades than those in the basic series. Can I use those or should I just use the basic series ones?

Most schools that ask you to prove that you have fulfilled their requirements have a disclaimer explaining that you are not judged based on these classes. I think that the schools are more interested in know if you have taken enough courses to meet their requirements than the grades that you got in them. Therefore I would just use the most basic courses that you have that fulfill the requirements and go from there.

Is anyone else also not sure what to write for the second essay? I wish they were a little bit more specific...

anyone know VCU's outlook on multiple MCATs? Do they take the latest, average, highest from each section?

have many people heard back form vcu? do they email you? do they tell you either way?

have many people heard back form vcu? do they email you? do they tell you either way?

I received an email at 6pm, stating to log onto the application page for an update. I was given permission to work on and submit the secondary application. Unsure what they sent/say if you are rejected. I think this process began today, but I could be wrong on that.

Can someone tell me the exact LOR requirements for VCU???

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email at 6pm, stating to log onto the application page for an update. I was given permission to work on and submit the secondary application. Unsure what they sent/say if you are rejected. I think this process began today, but I could be wrong on that.

On a federal holiday? Man, they're dedicated...

so I got a secondary....I guess that means someone is atleast somewhat interested,.

Seems like maybe they are still working on that first batch of applications they received on the 24th... I know ChubbyChaser was in that batch, what about the other guys who have received secondaries, when were you verified?

Seems like maybe they are still working on that first batch of applications they received on the 24th... I know ChubbyChaser was in that batch, what about the other guys who have received secondaries, when were you verified?

I was verified 6/9. I think that puts me in the first batch.

Oh God, the memories. Do they still make you do a handwritten essay? For some reason I can still remember writing mine in the kitchen where I was housesitting. It involved a pediatric autopsy that I witnessed on a kid who died from complications relating to a house fire. Somebody must have liked it.

Anyone else painfully afraid they're going to accidentally hit the "Withdraw Application" button on VCU's status page? :eek:

I'm sure you'd have to verify your decision, but it's quite ominous looking.

Anyone else painfully afraid they're going to accidentally hit the "Withdraw Application" button on VCU's status page? :eek:

I'm sure you'd have to verify your decision, but it's quite ominous looking.
hahah you have to type some code to verify it....I already trieditout.

Thanks for nearly taking one for the team!:laugh:
No prob...

And since some ppl are already getting rejections...does that mean itis now time to start the dreaded *official "I have been rejected from..." 2008-2009 thread????

No prob...

And since some ppl are already getting rejections...does that mean itis now time to start the dreaded *official "I have been rejected from..." 2008-2009 thread????

You are a brave one....

I was verified late June, I got the status page from VCU, but also do not have a secondary...

that cant count as a rejection already....can it:confused:?

You are a brave one....

I was verified late June, I got the status page from VCU, but also do not have a secondary...

No, it's waaaay to early to count a non-response as a rejection. They'll tell you if they're rejecting you at this stage.

You are a brave one....

no...someone earlier posted that they got a rejection

PS. they wont screen out a 32/3.9 unless you killed someone of course.

Can someone tell me the exact LOR requirements for VCU???

Thanks!

no...someone earlier posted that they got a rejection

PS. they wont screen out a 32/3.9 unless you killed someone of course.

Thanks mate, I needed that. Sounds weird but going through MDapps and seeing so many great people, scores, and random rejections, really makes a man get hard on himself. I've been cursing this entire week for not getting at least an 11 in bio....and i took my test MONTHS ago. I am really hoping for some good news from somebody.

Your not an ADCOM, but you did make me feel a little better. :oops:

....just glad I didnt kill that guy a few years back.....

So someone in the AMCAS Secondaries thread already got screened out and rejected w/ a ~3.3 and 33? I'm still waiting for verification to submit my list of schools and now I'm thinking to save $30 if that's cutoff for VCU?

So someone in the AMCAS Secondaries thread already got screened out and rejected w/ a ~3.3 and 33? I'm still waiting for verification to submit my list of schools and now I'm thinking to save $30 if that's cutoff for VCU?

I dont think they have a standard formula, and if they do a 3.3 probably is below the standard, but a 33 is definitely above the standard. However, it makes me wonder when people got secondary invites on a federal holiday.

to someone asking about the MCATs they look at the last one or best one, there's no averaging

I got the secondary even though they don't have my MCAT in yet. Probably because I'm in-state.

I was shocked and a bit offended when it only took a day for VCU to reject my application; especially since I am a virginia resident. I got the first email to sign into their application service and then got a second email the next day for a status update that told me I would not be receiving a secondary application because they felt that I was not competitive enough. It was very disheartening. I think it may have been my mcat (26L) because my gpa is strong (3.55 overall, 3.51 science), but I was expecting them to wait for my new scores from july 18th before kicking me out. It's a rough start to an already rough process, but I still have six schools in the mix.

I was shocked and a bit offended when it only took a day for VCU to reject my application; especially since I am a virginia resident. I got the first email to sign into their application service and then got a second email the next day for a status update that told me I would not be receiving a secondary application because they felt that I was not competitive enough. It was very disheartening. I think it may have been my mcat (26L) because my gpa is strong (3.55 overall, 3.51 science), but I was expecting them to wait for my new scores from july 18th before kicking me out. It's a rough start to an already rough process, but I still have six schools in the mix.

I think it's b/c you go to tech

yeah I'm kidding in case you were wondering

Last edited:
Really it is probably due to a few factors. I say this because each year there are a few people who do get secondaries and interviews to MCV with a 26. I even know of a few acceptances. The fact that they didnt even wait for the new MCAT leads me to believe there was some sort of red flag.

The factors that may have played a part:
1) not enough clinical experience or the clincal experience you had was weak. This is becoming more and more of an issue. You really need to prove that you have experienced what medicine has to offer. If you have very little, even with solid scores you would have been put in the discard pile

2) The MCAT: yeah it was probably a factor.

3) Mediocre PS. VCU/MCV is one of the few schools that really takes a look at your personal statement. If yours came off as arrogant, poorly written or threw up a red flag it could have added insult to injury.

4) Mediocre ECs: not a lot of diverse experiences to speak of (only pre med stuff) is a big turn off

5) Criminal record

Really it is probably due to a few factors. I say this because each year there are a few people who do get secondaries and interviews to MCV with a 26. I even know of a few acceptances. The fact that they didnt even wait for the new MCAT leads me to believe there was some sort of red flag.

The factors that may have played a part:
1) not enough clinical experience or the clincal experience you had was weak. This is becoming more and more of an issue. You really need to prove that you have experienced what medicine has to offer. If you have very little, even with solid scores you would have been put in the discard pile

2) The MCAT: yeah it was probably a factor.

3) Mediocre PS. VCU/MCV is one of the few schools that really takes a look at your personal statement. If yours came off as arrogant, poorly written or threw up a red flag it could have added insult to injury.

4) Mediocre ECs: not a lot of diverse experiences to speak of (only pre med stuff) is a big turn off

5) Criminal record

Informative post - thanks! :thumbup:

anyone having trouble with the format of their supplemental essay questions...It seems that no matter what I do...It just bunches my Paragraphs together.

anyone having trouble with the format of their supplemental essay questions...It seems that no matter what I do...It just bunches my Paragraphs together.
UVA's did the same thing. It's annoying, but I think they can tell where new paragraphs start.

It says on the application not to worry about the formatting. The formatting you typed in is what the committee will see.

I would think that'd be more of an issue with UVA. :O Does VCU have a big thing against the hokies as well??

He's probably a former Hoo, haha. :)

My primary app still hasn't been reviewed by the committee.

I was verified first day possible by AMCAS...

I'm OOS. Perhaps that's it?

Just wondering. VCU is definitely one of my favorites.

It says on the application not to worry about the formatting. The formatting you typed in is what the committee will see.

My primary app still hasn't been reviewed by the committee.

I was verified first day possible by AMCAS...

I'm OOS. Perhaps that's it?

Just wondering. VCU is definitely one of my favorites.

VCU is a great school and I'm really hoping I'd get in. The new Critical Care Tower is really nice. Richmond is pretty cool, too.

When was your app verified? Mine was verified on 6/30. I think that they review them in the order they were received. I just got an invite for the secondary tonight (6:04 pm). I'm so relieved I wasn't screened out!

VCU is a great school and I'm really hoping I'd get in. The new Critical Care Tower is really nice. Richmond is pretty cool, too.

When was your app verified? Mine was verified on 6/30. I think that they review them in the order they were received. I just got an invite for the secondary tonight (6:04 pm). I'm so relieved I wasn't screened out!

I was verified 6/9 and still hoping.

I was verified 6/9 and still hoping.

It could possibly be that IS students are given a preference during the screening process and are expedited through.

As a side note, they have a deadline! It's 60 days from receiving the secondary (although they state in the instructions that it's only 45 days). My deadline is 9/5/2007, but I should have it completed by the end of this week.

VCU LOR Requirements

When you have completed the online application, please have your letters of recommendation sent to us. Name and AAMC ID are required on all letters of
recommendation.

a. If your school has an established premedical committee, your letter must come from them. The Admissions Committee policy is that students who attend schools that have formal premed advisors or premed committees must have a letter from that advisor or committee. Failure to provide this letter can be considered grounds for not pursuing the file further or for evaluating the candidate as less competitive than others. The committee believes those students whose undergraduate institution provides such a service is better able to evaluate the candidate in the context of that schools entire applicant pool. They also believe that students who have not availed themselves of the service may be less well prepared for medical education than those who have participated.

b. If you are not using a premedical committee, we require three letters of recommendation: two from faculty who have taught you in the sciences who can speak of your academic abilities and one in an ancillary (minor) field. The third letter may also come from someone who has worked with you, preferably in a healthcare related area. The purpose of submitting letters from science professors is to give the committee some sense about your academic ability and performance in the sciences. The Committee is interested in comments about your academics, about your skills as a participating member of the class and about your personal interactions with faculty. Letters are therefore reviewed by staff in the Admissions Office to be certain that the committee will find them useful. If you are notified that we have judged a letter as "nonscience" it is usually because the writer did not address issues of your academic skills and abilities in scientific subject matter.

You are welcome to appeal decisions by the office about whether or not a letter is "science" but keep in mind that granting this appeal will not bind the committee in any way and they will make their decision without regard to the waiver. Committee members may decide against an interview based upon their inability to judge your scientific prowess. The purpose of the "nonscience" letters is to give the Admissions Committee the assessment of someone outside the sciences who may have excellent knowledge about you. Their letter should discuss your personal attributes. Nonscience letters are most frequently from faculty outside the sciences, former employers, research mentors and academic advisors.

c. Information for NonTraditional
Candidates: If you have done graduate work since graduating from undergraduate school, it is extremely important to include a letter from either the program director, your advisor or a faculty member who taught you in your graduate program. If you have been out of undergraduate school long enough that you do not know faculty or the premed advisor, you may request a waiver of the requirement to have a committee letter. Under those circumstances the committee is comfortable with letters from those who have taught you recently as you prepared for your medical school application.

d. Information for MD/PhD Candidates: In addition to the three letters of recommendation or premedical committee packet requirement, the
MD/PhD candidates must also submit an MD/PHD Reference Letter using the format provided on the Instructions/Forms page. The form must be completed by a person who is familiar with your research background and experience.

Any correspondence sent to this office should include your name and AAMC ID # and be addressed as follows:

Admissions Office
School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University
1101 East Marshall Street
P.O. Box 980565
Richmond, Virginia 232980565

So I was rejected today, blah! One down, lol :)

VCU LOR Requirements

When you have completed the online application, please have your letters of recommendation sent to us. Name and AAMC ID are required on all letters of
recommendation.

a. If your school has an established premedical committee, your letter must come from them. The Admissions Committee policy is that students who attend schools that have formal premed advisors or premed committees must have a letter from that advisor or committee. Failure to provide this letter can be considered grounds for not pursuing the file further or for evaluating the candidate as less competitive than others. The committee believes those students whose undergraduate institution provides such a service is better able to evaluate the candidate in the context of that schools entire applicant pool. They also believe that students who have not availed themselves of the service may be less well prepared for medical education than those who have participated.

b. If you are not using a premedical committee, we require three letters of recommendation: two from faculty who have taught you in the sciences who can speak of your academic abilities and one in an ancillary (minor) field. The third letter may also come from someone who has worked with you, preferably in a healthcare related area. The purpose of submitting letters from science professors is to give the committee some sense about your academic ability and performance in the sciences. The Committee is interested in comments about your academics, about your skills as a participating member of the class and about your personal interactions with faculty. Letters are therefore reviewed by staff in the Admissions Office to be certain that the committee will find them useful. If you are notified that we have judged a letter as "nonscience" it is usually because the writer did not address issues of your academic skills and abilities in scientific subject matter.

You are welcome to appeal decisions by the office about whether or not a letter is "science" but keep in mind that granting this appeal will not bind the committee in any way and they will make their decision without regard to the waiver. Committee members may decide against an interview based upon their inability to judge your scientific prowess. The purpose of the "nonscience" letters is to give the Admissions Committee the assessment of someone outside the sciences who may have excellent knowledge about you. Their letter should discuss your personal attributes. Nonscience letters are most frequently from faculty outside the sciences, former employers, research mentors and academic advisors.

c. Information for NonTraditional
Candidates: If you have done graduate work since graduating from undergraduate school, it is extremely important to include a letter from either the program director, your advisor or a faculty member who taught you in your graduate program. If you have been out of undergraduate school long enough that you do not know faculty or the premed advisor, you may request a waiver of the requirement to have a committee letter. Under those circumstances the committee is comfortable with letters from those who have taught you recently as you prepared for your medical school application.

d. Information for MD/PhD Candidates: In addition to the three letters of recommendation or premedical committee packet requirement, the
MD/PhD candidates must also submit an MD/PHD Reference Letter using the format provided on the Instructions/Forms page. The form must be completed by a person who is familiar with your research background and experience.

Any correspondence sent to this office should include your name and AAMC ID # and be addressed as follows:

Admissions Office
School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University
1101 East Marshall Street
P.O. Box 980565
Richmond, Virginia 232980565

Thanks for the post!!! :love:

So I was rejected today, blah! One down, lol :)

wow...that sucks mate. goodluck with other schools.

Seems like they are finally looking at OOS. I was verified mid june; i am also still hoping....

Status
Not open for further replies.