2008-2009 Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, good luck to everyone that is still waiting. I'm pulling for all of you:luck:

For those of you who have been accepted, or who might get accepted last minute, I wanted to let you know that I will have a vacancy at my house for the first semester. The house is really, really nice (granite counter tops, hard wood floors, your own bathroom, etc.) and it is within walking distance from MCV. For more information, and to see pictures, PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
Has anyone heard anything from the Financial Aid Office ragarding loans or possible grants/scholarships yet?

And do you know when we have to pay them the tuition by?

*Maybe those who went to the FA Workshop have an answer for me :). Or current students of course.

Thank you much in advance..

Hey Guys,
Has anyone heard anything from the Financial Aid Office ragarding loans or possible grants/scholarships yet?

And do you know when we have to pay them the tuition by?

*Maybe those who went to the FA Workshop have an answer for me :). Or current students of course.

Thank you much in advance..

I'm not sure what the due date is to pay tuition, I think it's usually the first day of classes, but if you are using Federal Direct or Grad PLUS loans they will automatically be credited to your student account before tuition is due and then student accounting will cut you a check for the difference. Or you can set up direct deposit for your bank account and it will deposit there.

Members don't see this ad :)
The class of 2013 will arrive later this summer. Here is a peek into their class profile: Total applicant pool: 6,222 194 confirmed acceptances toward total class of 200 46% female & 53% male 112 are from Virginia 82 non Virginians Ave MCAT--29.3 Ave GPA--3.6

Hey,

I can't seem to find the link to the site for matriculating students with information about the orientation schedule. Is it somewhere on the VCU Applicant Website?

thanks!

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone is still looking for a roommate or an apartment. I am looking for a female to share a two bedroom apartment. There are two apartments available for rent starting Aug first week: at American Heritage and American Tobacco center. I am looking to put the apartment on hold this week. Please message me for more details. Thanks.

I didn't know people still posted in these 2008-09 threads... why not switch to the 09-10 ones?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone is still looking for a roommate or an apartment. I am looking for a female to share a two bedroom apartment. There are two apartments available for rent starting Aug first week: at American Heritage and American Tobacco center. I am looking to put the apartment on hold this week. Please message me for more details. Thanks.

Hi

I am looking for Apt from August 09, walking distance to MCV.either studio or 1 bed room.I am from Southern California. I will be in Richmond around August 7, 09. I will appreciate to share any Info. you have for Apt finding.

Hi

I am looking for Apt from August 09, walking distance to MCV.either studio or 1 bed room.I am from Southern California. I will be in Richmond around August 7, 09. I will appreciate to share any Info. you have for Apt finding.

Ok walking distance apartments which are either studio or 1 bedroom run around 700-800 if you are looking at Apartment Highrise or Buildings. I did find cheaper studios but they were above a very popular bar and restaurant. Those were for around 600. Most will include stuff like water, sewage, trash and tv. Parking is mostly extra with almost 40 for a lot or 90-100 for a garage or you can park on the street for free. I am not that comfortable parking on the street due to safety reasons.
Some of the places I looked at were:Shockoe properties (Shockoe hearth is the one above the bar, William Hill and Europa were fine others were too expensive too even consider), Genesis Properties (American Heritage is 4 blocks away), American Tobacco Ctr( the same people have another building Shockoe Commons which is much closer to MCV). American Heritage and Shockoe Commons are between 12th and 13th street and on Main Street. This area is quiter since it is where the Capital Building is and all the other state office. After hours are safe according to residents since there is a heavy Capital Police presence.
American Tobacco Center is on a relatively ok part of town. Keep in mind that streets in Richmond change from one block to the other. I did see other properties so if you have more questions let me know. You might want to try houses in churchhill for rent with other people. Those would be cheaper. Or try the Fan area but you would have to take the bus which can be a good 30 min one way on busy days.

Ok walking distance apartments which are either studio or 1 bedroom run around 700-800 if you are looking at Apartment Highrise or Buildings. I did find cheaper studios but they were above a very popular bar and restaurant. Those were for around 600. Most will include stuff like water, sewage, trash and tv. Parking is mostly extra with almost 40 for a lot or 90-100 for a garage or you can park on the street for free. I am not that comfortable parking on the street due to safety reasons.
Some of the places I looked at were:Shockoe properties (Shockoe hearth is the one above the bar, William Hill and Europa were fine others were too expensive too even consider), Genesis Properties (American Heritage is 4 blocks away), American Tobacco Ctr( the same people have another building Shockoe Commons which is much closer to MCV). American Heritage and Shockoe Commons are between 12th and 13th street and on Main Street. This area is quiter since it is where the Capital Building is and all the other state office. After hours are safe according to residents since there is a heavy Capital Police presence.
American Tobacco Center is on a relatively ok part of town. Keep in mind that streets in Richmond change from one block to the other. I did see other properties so if you have more questions let me know. You might want to try houses in churchhill for rent with other people. Those would be cheaper. Or try the Fan area but you would have to take the bus which can be a good 30 min one way on busy days.

thank you so much Gracie.. That was very helpful :)

thank you so much Gracie.. That was very helpful :)
You are very welcome. Another thing that I would add is that some popular places have apartments going like hot cakes. SO If you wait too long you might not get what you want. I have discovered that sharing is cheaper so unless I find a roommate I will be commuting from my parents house in Chester just like undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are very welcome. Another thing that I would add is that some popular places have apartments going like hot cakes. SO If you wait too long you might not get what you want. I have discovered that sharing is cheaper so unless I find a roommate I will be commuting from my parents house in Chester just like undergrad.

Hi Gracie

Do you have any new Info. for studio/1 bd room apt for mcv M1 student ?at reasonable rent.

If anybody have Info about housing near VCU campus, walking distance and safe to walk , I will appreciate if you share info. with me.

Thanks
Hi

Anybody from Southern California going to MCV ? Any Info. for housing will be appreciared.

Hi Gracie

Do you have any new Info. for studio/1 bd room apt for mcv M1 student ?at reasonable rent.

Hey I am sharing a two bedroom with a roommate. Near MCV campus the one bedroom goes upwards of $700-800. But if you are set on a studio or 1 bedroom try near the undergrad monroe park campus if you don't mind getting on a bus. I had seen Riverside on the James for my friend. Its near Belvidiere street. The studios are in 500-600 range. Nice looking. The only concern was the train near the apt but the top floors have a nice view of the River. I will ask my friend about the other places she had seen in that area and get back with you.

.The Lofts at Canal Walk. distance: 1.0mile Time: .5 mins.
1901 E Main St
Richmond, VA 23223-7096. (804)643-5638 .
.Vistas on the James . distance 0.66mile Time: .4 mins.
301 Virginia Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Vistas on the James
Phone: (804) 639-2915 Lysa Glunt, Realtor, Property Manager
804-216-2142 Linda (804)-920-4313
6 North 6th Street Distance: 0.60mile Time: .3 mins.

6 North 6th Street
Richmond, VA 23219 phone: (866)559-5345

.The River Lofts at Tobacco Row .Distance: 1.20miles Time: .5 mins.
.2310 E. Cary Street Richmond, VA 23223 .
.Call: (866) 799-3516 center. .
Shockoe Commons distance: 0.55mile Time: .3 mins.

1209 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219 (804)377-9900
.Colonial Reserve at West Franklin .distance: 1.08mile .5 min.
104 West Franklin Street, Richmond, VA 23220

Distance: 1.08mile Time: .5 mins.
.The Berkshire Apartment Homes. distance: 1.20mile Time: .6 mins.
.300 West Franklin Street
Richmond, VA 23220 looks beautiful no gym.

.Phone: .(804) 644-7861

1901 E Main St
301 Virginia Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Vistas on the James

6 North 6th Street

1209 East Main Street

Wow, a mile in 5 minutes! You're a fast walker!

1901 E Main St
301 Virginia Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Vistas on the James

6 North 6th Street

1209 East Main Street

Thanks Cricketer. Great info.

Hey I believe the Lofts at Canal Walk did not have any 1 bedroom available in August when I called them two weeks ago so call them again to see.

Wow, a mile in 5 minutes! You're a fast walker!
Thanks for local Info. Are these places relatively safe to walk to mcv ?
I am coming to Richmond on Aug 8, for orientation on Aug 10. I have to sign up for Apt. over week end fast. Any help from you will be very useful. Thanks again

I am coming to Richmond on Aug 8, for orientation on Aug 10. I have to sign up for Apt. over week end fast. Any help from you will be very useful. Thanks again

Hey how much are you willing to spend? If around $800 is ok then try American Heritage they may have one bedroom apt available. Also try American Tobacco Center.

I'm a local resident. These apts are all fairly safe to walk to VCU, but only during business hours. No way I would walk to/from VCU at night. I'm a little leery about daytime weekends because once I walked up that way on a Sunday afternoon and a couple guys tried to rob me.

Downtown is fairly desolate after 6:00 pm on weekdays and is virtually empty on weekends.

Total Seats 200
Male 50% Female 50% roughly
120 Instate 80 out of state
If you are OOS male and Asian your chance 80/2= 40-30(Caucasian, Minority)=10
10( prob.4 Indian,3 Chines, 1-2 Pakistani, 1 Korian, Philippine.
I attended my brother White coat ceremony this year, there were 25-30 students from California if that is of any help to Californians.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.