2008-2009 Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else still waiting on VCU to send a secondary? They have been looking at my AMCAS application for a while now... over 3 weeks and I haven't hurd anything....

jeff

Same boat.

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone used the system built into the secondary to ask a question?

if so, how long did it take to get a response? and did they email or send it back through the message system?

i sent a message, and then realized i probably should have just called to ask...and now i don't want to call with a message pending.:oops:

When submitting the personal essay, it asks you to verify on the last page,

None of my paragraph breaks are showing!!! It's one long mess!! Is this how it is going to be submitted to the committee?

Mine's a little long. It is 700 words even though the thing said only 500-600 words would fit, since it fit, I figured it would be ok.

Did anyone else run into this problem? What did you do?

Members don't see this ad :)
When submitting the personal essay, it asks you to verify on the last page,

None of my paragraph breaks are showing!!! It's one long mess!! Is this how it is going to be submitted to the committee?

Mine's a little long. It is 700 words even though the thing said only 500-600 words would fit, since it fit, I figured it would be ok.

Did anyone else run into this problem? What did you do?

I'm pretty sure that it tells you that formatting may be weird on the verification screen. I submitted this afternoon and I remember it saying something like that.

They are quick too--submitted this afternoon and had a status update this evening, about 3 hours later.

wrong place

Last edited:
ok so entering the years for previos years applied....do we have a consensus on that? which year do I put? Year I actually applied or the entering year for which I applied for?

ok so entering the years for previos years applied....do we have a consensus on that? which year do I put? Year I actually applied or the entering year for which I applied for?

I put year I applied (2006), which was for entering 2007 class.

Actually I think I just figured out my own question. Top of the page it says ap yr 2009...so it means I should put 2008 for last yrs app.

Did anyone manage to format the essays to have breaks between each paragraph (or a tab before each paragraph)?

edit: i read the answer by amp3r5and, but i wanted to make sure everyone else ran into the same thing

Did anyone manage to format the essays to have breaks between each paragraph (or a tab before each paragraph)?

edit: i read the answer by amp3r5and, but i wanted to make sure everyone else ran into the same thing
I called and they said it will be formatted correctly when they see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of VCU actually offering interviews yet (other than the vague messages), or has any got an interview?

Has anyone heard of VCU actually offering interviews yet (other than the vague messages), or has any got an interview?
Not yet, although I wish. Last year they started offering interviews around July 25th, so I guess they are taking more time or maybe have more applicants? Who knows.

I just got an email saying this:

The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.
Thats a good sign...ppl that get that one...and the MAY be unable to interview have a good shot at an II.

Thats a good sign...ppl that get that one...and the MAY be unable to interview have a good shot at an II.

Yeah, I got the "MAY" email today, no idea what that means? I'll ::cross fingers::

Yeah, I got the "MAY" email today, no idea what that means? I'll ::cross fingers::

Nice! Hopefully it turns into an interview in the near future.

Can I ask when you were complete?

Nice! Hopefully it turns into an interview in the near future.

Thanks! We'll see, I really have no idea how to interpret this..I'm almost kinda thankful no other schools seem to be so intent on being a big tease.

I was complete 7/21.

Thanks! We'll see, I really have no idea how to interpret this..I'm almost kinda thankful no other schools seem to be so intent on being a big tease.

I was complete 7/21.

It's definitely one of the "good" hold messages.

Thanks for the info!

If they determine your pre-interview priority score after evaluating your secondary, would it make sense to send a "why I like VCU" letter before you get your post-secondary message instead of waiting to send it out after you get placed on the pre-interview hold?

I don't remember all the details about the priority score (someone help me with the link to the old thread) but I'm pretty sure it's not something you can influence much -its mostly gpa, mcat, and then sorted into IS/OOS.

To those of you worried about hearing about interviews, I was complete about a year and a week ago, and I heard nothing for a good month, but interviewed in September. Also check your spam filters! I got no email from MCV forever because it was being marked as spam by my email service.

I don't remember all the details about the priority score (someone help me with the link to the old thread) but I'm pretty sure it's not something you can influence much -its mostly gpa, mcat, and then sorted into IS/OOS.

To those of you worried about hearing about interviews, I was complete about a year and a week ago, and I heard nothing for a good month, but interviewed in September. Also check your spam filters! I got no email from MCV forever because it was being marked as spam by my email service.

Cool, thanks.

Congrats on your acceptance. :thumbup:

Do you guys know if this one is considered to be a "bad" hold?
Thanks

I dont think so...Lots of ppl got interviews last year

Correct me if im wrong.

Yeah, you are right. The "bad" one says the committee wants to consider your app further but "they have some reservations about granting an interview." I think (not 100% sure) the MAY one is the best hold though.

Yeah, you are right. The "bad" one says the committee wants to consider your app further but "they have some reservations about granting an interview." I think (not 100% sure) the MAY one is the best hold though.
really?? how did you find out the "MAY" one is the best?

really?? how did you find out the "MAY" one is the best?

I believe that was the consensus reached in last year's thread. The wording is better ("they are interested in your candidacy" vs. "they would like to consider your file further") and I think SDN'ers with the MAY message got more interviews... at least that's what I recall.

I believe that was the consensus reached in last year's thread. The wording is better ("they are interested in your candidacy" vs. "they would like to consider your file further") and I think SDN'ers with the MAY message got more interviews... at least that's what I recall.

"The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

That's sort of good I guess.

"The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

That's sort of good I guess.

Much better than a rejection for sure.

Oh...
CRAP...
I reread the thread. I guess I got the bad one! I thought mine was a bit better since I didn't have the word "unfortunately" and that I'm being reviewed again versus being on hold. DANGIT!

Oh...
CRAP...
I reread the thread. I guess I got the bad one! I thought mine was a bit better since I didn't have the word "unfortunately" and that I'm being reviewed again versus being on hold. DANGIT!

Still, some people with that message eventually get interviews and it's much better than the rejection message.

Still, some people with that message eventually get interviews and it's much better than the rejection message.
Yes, definitely better than a rejection. I hope to get an interview. I guess I'll find out by the end of the month.

Hey guys, I got this, what you all think
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

Wow, I just submitted my secondary last night, and tonight I received an email saying my status had changed. I ended up getting the "we MAY be unable to interview applicants at your priority score," which I'll take as a good sign? They're really on the ball, though, less than one day (and a Saturday at that) to review my secondary application. Perhaps I was given priority since I'm in-state (and a VCU alum).

wait waht? may be UNABLE to interview...

is that at typo or are you guys reading wrong...

Hey guys, I got this, what you all think
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."
Sounds golden to me. They probably plan on reviewing to a certain date before handing out invites. Looks like you'll be in the first batch.

Well I think VCU wins hands down for the most ambiguous responses, thats for sure

wait waht? may be UNABLE to interview...

is that at typo or are you guys reading wrong...

It's copy-pasted directly from the secondary site. Yes, it says we may be UNABLE to interview you...

And supposedly that's the second-best one to get (behind the "we are very interested in your candidacy" message).

It's copy-pasted directly from the secondary site. Yes, it says we may be UNABLE to interview you...

And supposedly that's the second-best one to get (behind the "we are very interested in your candidacy" message).

I should note that very was not underlined in the email...i just wanted people to notice because the message sounds similar for everyone at the beginning.

VCU seems to be sending mixed signals anyways to a lot of people....i guess all we can do is wait....i suspect we should hear something soon. Goodluck:luck:!!

PS: if anyone cares, I submit my application sometime between july 25-july 28. I got that email Aug. 1st.

I should note that very was not underlined in the email...i just wanted people to notice because the message sounds similar for everyone at the beginning.

VCU seems to be sending mixed signals anyways to a lot of people....i guess all we can do is wait....i suspect we should hear something soon. Goodluck:luck:!!

PS: if anyone cares, I submit my application sometime between july 25-july 28. I got that email Aug. 1st.

Good luck to you too! Yes, I expect we will start hearing from them re: interviews within the next two weeks. :thumbup:

My application was complete on July 24th and still no updates other than the complete status notification. :(

My application was complete on July 24th and still no updates other than the complete status notification. :(

Yeah, I was complete on the 23rd and haven't gotten an update either... seems like they get back to the people who receive the best update messages ASAP. :scared:

Naw... they took a WHILE to get back on mine and I got the "MAY" update message...

I wouldn't try to figure out their system quite yet... I say that because i've wasted enough of my own time trying to figure it out already.

best of luck to you.

Yeah, I was complete on the 23rd and haven't gotten an update either... seems like they get back to the people who receive the best update messages ASAP. :scared:

Naw... they took a WHILE to get back on mine and I got the "MAY" update message...

I wouldn't try to figure out their system quite yet... I say that because i've wasted enough of my own time trying to figure it out already.

best of luck to you.

Ha, thanks for the info. And congrats on the MAY message.

Haha... thanks but I don't necessarily know that it's a good sign. I think it's the middle-tier, if I had to guess... maybe 50/50 of the MAYs will be interviewed? who knows. there i go trying to figure out the system again. This rat race has got to end. hehe

Ha, thanks for the info. And congrats on the MAY message.

I got the MAY message as well but I'm applying MD/PhD so I don't know if the system is any different for us. Congrats to those who got the VERY message. I'm quite jealous... although i have absolutely no idea what this all means.

Status
Not open for further replies.