~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys for the help. So I guess the conclusion is not to take re-take the MCAT, complete aacomas app now, retake some science classes in the summer?

BTW, how does retaking advanced science classes work at different schools in terms of the AACOMAS application replacing older grades? The name and class ID's will be different.

Also, does anybody know if you're required to submit all your MCAT scores from the past 3 years or you can just pick your best? I had a terrible score in 2006.

you cant pick and chose your mcat scores, all will be sent. I think every class in undergrad, you are allow to retake so it would not matter if it is upper level or not. Yea a 27 is fine. I would more worry about the science gpa.

I would apply soon anyway, its going to take them a month to be complete and verified. You can send your transcript after your done with summer courses. I would hurry, because summer schools starts this week at most schools.

Members don't see this ad.

yea i applied late around january because of the jan mcat, and would not recommend it to anyone. I would try to retake some course over the summer. you can always resend to transcripts and aacomas will update your file.

Thanks guys for the help. So I guess the conclusion is not to take re-take the MCAT, complete aacomas app now, retake some science classes in the summer?

BTW, how does retaking advanced science classes work at different schools in terms of the AACOMAS application replacing older grades? The name and class ID's will be different.

Also, does anybody know if you're required to submit all your MCAT scores from the past 3 years or you can just pick your best? I had a terrible score in 2006.

Umm, lets just say I was a Bio Major and I didn't know what I was doing at the time so I got C's in everything.... I already graduated a few years ago, and can't retake classes at my original school (not sure if thats an issue with replacing grades). I'm also working full time so it would not be very efficient for me to retake classes and wait another year to apply. Since the max I can fit in would be 4 classes in a year, and I'd really like to get a start on my medical career.

Wait so I guess I shouldn't bother retaking the MCAT with my 27N and just try to apply a lot of places early and be complete?

My range on MCAT practice exams was 27-30 (got a 8PS/9VR/10BS in case you missed my original thread, 3.0cum,2.6sci,3.4nonsci)
This is coming from someone with marginal stats that, in some ways, are a lot better than yours: I have a 2.7 cumulative GPA, a 3.3 overall science GPA, and a 3.5-ish over my last 80 hours, almost all difficult science. I took some very hard semesters and performed well during those 80 hours too. I also have a 33 on the MCAT.

I didn't exactly pick and choose. I was fortunate to get accepted to a place I really liked, and I think will be a good fit for me, but I didn't hear a peep from any Texas schools, and the out-of-state schools weren't exactly beating down my door either.

Once I got my acceptance, I did some heavy duty withdrawing, so I don't really know what my options might have looked like, but I sure as **** wasn't getting a lot of love from schools the first time or two that they reviewed my application.

I'm not trying to be an *******. I just think you need to raise that science GPA. Maybe a formal post-bac program would do the trick. You also may need to find a way to cut down on your hours at work so you can take more classes. Find a sugar mama to support you.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is coming from someone with marginal stats that, in some ways, are a lot better than yours: I have a 2.7 cumulative GPA, a 3.3 overall science GPA, and a 3.5-ish over my last 80 hours, almost all difficult science. I took some very hard semesters and performed well during those 80 hours too. I also have a 33 on the MCAT.

I didn't exactly pick and choose. I was fortunate to get accepted to a place I really liked, and I think will be a good fit for me, but I didn't hear a peep from any Texas schools, and the out-of-state schools weren't exactly beating down my door either.

Once I got my acceptance, I did some heavy duty withdrawing, so I don't really know what my options might have looked like, but I sure as **** wasn't getting a lot of love from schools the first time or two that they reviewed my application.

I'm not trying to be an *******. I just think you need to raise that science GPA. Maybe a formal post-bac program would do the trick. You also may need to find a way to cut down on your hours at work so you can take more classes. Find a sugar mama to support you.

I do agree with him, you are a bio major and it will be tough to raise your science gpa. I would still apply, because you never know, all you need is one acceptance haha :). But i would also enroll in a smp or something.

I would appreciate some feedback on where I stand in terms of competitiveness:

Undergraduate Overall GPA - 3.18

Undergraduate Science GPA - 3.18

Graduate Overall GPA - 3.42

Graduate Science GPA - 3.40

MCAT - 27P (8V, 9B, 10P)

Good Volunteer experiences, worked as a lab tech, research analyst, public health major, Masters in Biochemistry and Molec. Bio., pretty good LOR's...

I'm planning on submitting my aacomas application within the week to be considered early...what are my chances at schools like PCOM (Philly)?

I appreciate the help in advance!!!

I would appreciate some feedback on where I stand in terms of competitiveness:

Undergraduate Overall GPA - 3.18

Undergraduate Science GPA - 3.18

Graduate Overall GPA - 3.42

Graduate Science GPA - 3.40

MCAT - 27P (8V, 9B, 10P)

Good Volunteer experiences, worked as a lab tech, research analyst, public health major, Masters in Biochemistry and Molec. Bio., pretty good LOR's...

I'm planning on submitting my aacomas application within the week to be considered early...what are my chances at schools like PCOM (Philly)?

I appreciate the help in advance!!!

if your a PA resident your chances are good. You will get in come somewhere. Apply broadly though, not just 1 or 2.

if your a PA resident your chances are good. You will get in come somewhere. Apply broadly though, not just 1 or 2.

I'm from Maryland, so not sure how much that would help...is there something I can do to increase my chances? I'm debating retaking my MCAT...

I'm kinda new to the application process, so I would appreciate suggestions on which schools would be good to apply too. I liked PCOM since its a well established institution thats still close to home for me

You'll have a shot at PCOM, but don't put all your eggs in one basket. There are plenty of good schools. Pick out a bunch and apply ASAP.

Don't re-take the MCAT. Getting your applications in early will be more valuable to you than a couple extra points.

I'm from Maryland, so not sure how much that would help...is there something I can do to increase my chances? I'm debating retaking my MCAT...

I'm kinda new to the application process, so I would appreciate suggestions on which schools would be good to apply too. I liked PCOM since its a well established institution thats still close to home for me
Your fine right now to get in somehwre, just apply broadly. I know there many students on this forum that hype PCOM up, But you have a few schools near you that are just as good like NYCOM, UMDNJ, Etc. I would apply to them too, you should get into one of them. Apply early

edit: actually if you take the mcat your app will be aliitle late. It is probably better just applying now

my practice tests were fairly consistent. i listed them on my MDapps.
I heard the idea is that your actual MCAT is +-2 pts from highest score? I felt confident on PS and VR so that should work in my favor. Not as confident on the BS though, but will likely secure a 9 without much trouble.
anyhow, I know i should get things in soon...if anything, i need to have all my LORs and transcripts in.
Ola Grand Master...good to see you around this cycle...lets hope that in a few months we'll be laughing that they didn't grab us last year...
DK

so in all reality, does a good mcat score (30+) along wiht decent lors and ec's give me some degree of a chance with a 2.8 sci gpa and 3.23 overall at DO schools?

ec's: research, volunteer at peds dept, tutor, premed club secretary, worked as tching asst at childrens center

Alright, first time applying to DO schools. I have a 28R(9PS, 8VR, 11BS), but I just retook the MCAT on May 27th. 3.82 Non science, 3.80 science, 3.82 cumulative.

A little about myself, I'm an Eagle scout, was actively involved with SGA, I was the treasurer and president (Two different years). I was an intern at my local hospital for two summers which I had the opportunity to shadow different physicians in different fields of the hospital. I have done research for one semester, presented and published. Resident Assistant. A variety of honor societies. Worked as an official for intramural sports, tour guide and peer leader (for freshman). Recipient of presidential scholarship and leadership scholarship.

Basically, I would like to know my chances and what schools I should apply to. What I had in mind.

PCOM
MSUCOM
UMDNJ
NYCOM

Any others? I want to go into surgery if that makes any difference at all. Thanks!

Last edited:
Alright, first time applying to DO schools. I have a 28R(9PS, 8VR, 11BS), but I just retook the MCAT on May 27th. 3.82 Non science, 3.80 science, 3.82 cumulative.

A little about myself, I'm an Eagle scout, was actively involved with SGA, I was the treasurer and president (Two different years). I was an intern at my local hospital for two summers which I had the opportunity to shadow different physicians in different fields of the hospital. I have done research for one semester, presented and published. Resident Assistant. A variety of honor societies. Worked as an official for intramural sports, tour guide and peer leader (for freshman). Recipient of presidential scholarship and leadership scholarship.

Basically, I would like to know my chances and what schools I should apply to. What I had in mind.

PCOM
MSUCOM
UMDNJ
NYCOM

Any others? I want to go into surgery if that makes any difference at all. Thanks!

I would also lecom erie, unecom since you look like you want stay northeast, if you are looking for large, longstanding schools i would look into DMU, ccom, and kcom. Your chances are very good

Members don't see this ad :)
so in all reality, does a good mcat score (30+) along wiht decent lors and ec's give me some degree of a chance with a 2.8 sci gpa and 3.23 overall at DO schools?

ec's: research, volunteer at peds dept, tutor, premed club secretary, worked as tching asst at childrens center

You bet. Break that 30 mark and doors will open. It would also be nice if you retook some of your undergrad science courses, enabling you to replace them within the AACOMAS app, thus increasing your science GPA. That'd be ideal.

Here's my stats:
25O MCAT - retaking July 8th
3.6 science GPA
3.7 overall GPA
Lots of extracurriculars, some shadowing, lots of volunteer hours

Submitted my primary to Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Des Moines, and Pikeville.

What do you think my chances are?? I really want to go to Michigan State (my state school). Should I apply to any other schools??

Last edited:
Here's my stats:
25O MCAT - retaking July 8th
3.6 science GPA
3.7 overall GPA
Lots of extracurriculars, some shadowing, lots of volunteer hours

Submitted my primary to Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Des Moines, and Pikeville.

What do you think my chances are?? I really want to go to Michigan State (my state school). Should I apply to any other schools??

i would apply to more schools. atleast 3-4 more. You should get an interview from msu, and the rest will be on you. Dmu looks highly on strong science gpa"s, which should help you also.

i would apply to more schools. atleast 3-4 more. You should get an interview from msu, and the rest will be on you. Dmu looks highly on strong science gpa"s, which should help you also.

Any suggestions on which schools to add? I thought about adding UNECOM when I have some more money to go around.

Any suggestions on which schools to add? I thought about adding UNECOM when I have some more money to go around.

i would look at areas you would want to live at. Osteopathic schools which has strong reputations, are generally regarded the same, so it more depends on where you would like to live for 4 years. It looks like you like midwest so i would look into ccom and kcom, etc. I am only getting that because you applied to 4 Midwest schools. unecom is another fine school.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble trying to figure out which schools to apply to. Is there a site that has average MCAT/GPA scores or do I need to individually look at the school sites? My state doesn't have a DO school :( So I guess I'm OOS for everything??? Thanks!

I'm having trouble trying to figure out which schools to apply to. Is there a site that has average MCAT/GPA scores or do I need to individually look at the school sites? My state doesn't have a DO school :( So I guess I'm OOS for everything??? Thanks!

last year, the us news premium online was really nice. they told you average mcat, gpa etc. they also told you how many oos they excepted and how many interviews given for each school. Us news look like they changed things this year around, they dont have "the easiest school to get into" section. I would ask around the forum if they still have average mcat, ave gpa, oos, is acceptances. I thought it was well worth the 15 dollars

What a cool forum! I just found it a few days ago and am hoping for some feedback and answers to a couple questions.

Science GPA: 3.01
Non-science: 3.36
Cummulative: 3.25

Taking the MCAT July 18th, I am hoping for 30+ based on practice tests. I know many have suggested to submit my application before getting my MCAT scores. BUT...

I am taking 2 more science classes this summer that I know I can do well in and will bump my science GPA up to 3.11. Should I wait to apply after I complete these courses or submit now and send an updated transcript later?

Also, I took the MCAT back in 2003 and didn't do very well. (26S). I know schools don't even take scores that old and I definitely don't want them to see that score. But do I have to report them regardless or can I just have my most current ones sent when I get them this August?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!:)

hello everyone...

just asking for a little input. i'd really appreciate it!

just graduated from university of illinois u-c with a 3.1 cumulative and ~2.75 science gpa. i have 2 years of laboratory work and a semester of research, work experience as an oral surgery assistant, volunteering at a hospital and hospice, membership in amsa, and other pre-med clubs. my lor's are good, 1 from a d.o., one from my md/dds employer and another from a physics professor; all of which are very personal and good.

i will begin a masters degree in biomedical sciences at midwestern university in september, and plan to apply for fall 2010. in this program, i ultimately aim to get all As and a few Bs in order to make up for my low undergrad gpa.

i took the mcat last summer and scored 27p, but know i can do better (i was scoring 30-35 on practice tests) so i plan to retest in aug/september, and plan to score 30+.

what are my chances of getting into d.o/m.d? thanksss!

Last edited:
Hello,

Similar questions as everybody else.
Overall GPA 3.083. Started with a 2.5 freshman year, ended with a 3.5 senior year. Overall science GPA is 2.799, with a steady trend going up.

MCAT: 28M P:8 B:10 V:10. I am registered to retake it in mid-July.

I have two LORs from my neurobiology professors, and one from a history professor.

Volunteer/ ECs wise, I was well-rounded, but didn't concentrate specifically on med/health related programs. I volunteered two semesters at the children's hospital, led an clean energy initiative on campus, and was active in student government.

Just started apps last week, planning to finish the primaries by the end of this week. Should I even bother applying to DO or work on bringing up my GPA? If i finish everything (except MCAT) by the end of this week, and I'm applying relatively early, would I have a higher chance of getting in?

Thanks.

Hello,

Similar questions as everybody else.
Overall GPA 3.083. Started with a 2.5 freshman year, ended with a 3.5 senior year. Overall science GPA is 2.799, with a steady trend going up.

MCAT: 28M P:8 B:10 V:10. I am registered to retake it in mid-July.

I have two LORs from my neurobiology professors, and one from a history professor.

Volunteer/ ECs wise, I was well-rounded, but didn't concentrate specifically on med/health related programs. I volunteered two semesters at the children's hospital, led an clean energy initiative on campus, and was active in student government.

Just started apps last week, planning to finish the primaries by the end of this week. Should I even bother applying to DO or work on bringing up my GPA? If i finish everything (except MCAT) by the end of this week, and I'm applying relatively early, would I have a higher chance of getting in?

Thanks.
If you apply broadly and early you should get an acceptance somewhere. I would do both if you have the money to spend on applications Apply and work on bringing that GPA up.

What I would do is possibly spend another year in college boosting the overall GPA. I would possibly take over some of classes you did poorly in during your freshman year or take 100 level courses in many different areas. 100 level courses are usually easier and you should be able to pull in the A range. Make sure you take good professors, that can make a difference between an A or C in a course. Speak to people who majored in that area to get some idea about the professor as well as old notes and tests. You can also use a sight called www.ratemyprofessor.com, which show how students rate professors at many different colleges throughout the country.

I hope you get into the school of your choice. Good Luck!!!!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

I think everybody would agree that's very hard to answer. It's a personal question based on what you want out of your education (research, primary care, great clinical sites, ect). I personally believe Kansas City and PCOM are two of the best. They have been around for a while and have a strong reputation. Every school has pros and cons though.
so ive been asking around for some opinions...

sci gpa 2.7
overall 3.23
mact: will take very soon (confident i can get 30+)
decent LORS...
ec's=tutor, volunteer at peds dept at hospital, DO shadow, premed club secretary 2 years, worked at childrens center, worked at doc's office

my biggest concern is the science gpa...ive been told that waiting to apply will really be a bad thing to do...does anyone kno of schools that dont have an automatic cutoff for gpa...adn also, does the mcat kinda help offset a not too stellar science gpa? any help will be greatly appreciated.

so ive been asking around for some opinions...

sci gpa 2.7
overall 3.23
mact: will take very soon (confident i can get 30+)
decent LORS...
ec's=tutor, volunteer at peds dept at hospital, DO shadow, premed club secretary 2 years, worked at childrens center, worked at doc's office

my biggest concern is the science gpa...ive been told that waiting to apply will really be a bad thing to do...does anyone kno of schools that dont have an automatic cutoff for gpa...adn also, does the mcat kinda help offset a not too stellar science gpa? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your advice! I think I will continue with the apps to see if I can get in. Depending on how well I do in my upcoming MCATs, I will apply for SMP or just take other courses

I have another question. The aacom website strongly recommends shadowing a DO, which I haven't done. I've shadowed a neurologist for 2 weeks, but he wasn't a DO. I am planning to contact a DO and see if I can shadow them sometime in July. I know it's a bit late, but if mention that I'm planning to shadow an osteopathic doctor in my application, would that be ok?

Thanks for your advice! I think I will continue with the apps to see if I can get in. Depending on how well I do in my upcoming MCATs, I will apply for SMP or just take other courses

I have another question. The aacom website strongly recommends shadowing a DO, which I haven't done. I've shadowed a neurologist for 2 weeks, but he wasn't a DO. I am planning to contact a DO and see if I can shadow them sometime in July. I know it's a bit late, but if mention that I'm planning to shadow an osteopathic doctor in my application, would that be ok?

You probably shouldn't even bother with an SMP and SMP would be more for someone who had a lousy science GPA. For you it is more important to get that overally GPA higher. Retake some of the courses from freshman year or take 100 level courses in many different topics as I stated before.

If you state that you intend to do it that is fine. I am sure a DO would have no problem with you shadowing them. I don't think it 100% necessary as long as you have shadowed a physician. I personally never shadowed a DO.

It is important though to get a letter from a DO and one who is an Alum of the school you want to go to if it is at all possible. Admissions boards take there Alum's advice seriously and that alone can possibly get you an interview.

This thread seems to be getting more action so I'll post here..

In the process of filling AACOM.. i have a 3.45 science GPA, 3.6 cGPA, 27 MCAT.. what are some of the "better" DO schools out there. Im in NYC.

Also, i really dont understand the point of shadowing.. I have worked with MDs for the past 4 years.. would it really be detrimental that i have not shadowed?... i mean i work with them everyday... isnt that the same thing?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: i also retook the MCAT on 5/27, but i think i might have done worse than my first attempt.. will that hurt me?

Thanks Guys!

This thread seems to be getting more action so I'll post here..

In the process of filling AACOM.. i have a 3.45 science GPA, 3.6 cGPA, 27 MCAT.. what are some of the "better" DO schools out there. Im in NYC.

Also, i really dont understand the point of shadowing.. I have worked with MDs for the past 4 years.. would it really be detrimental that i have not shadowed?... i mean i work with them everyday... isnt that the same thing?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: i also retook the MCAT on 5/27, but i think i might have done worse than my first attempt.. will that hurt me?

Thanks Guys!

You have a good shot, it depends how much worse you did. If you got a 26 most schools will let it slide. If you got a 20, then thats a different story. But stats look fine, you should get into nycom if you apply early and that where you want to go. I would apply to place that you would want to live for four more years. Look for schools that are well establish and have good rotation sites.

If you apply to tourocom, they accept md recs (you need a rec form a physician to apply). nycom doesn't require a rec from a physican, but you can send them a md rec if you like. I had VERY similar stats as you and same state residence, and no trouble getting interviews.

Last edited:
Well, somehow we ended up with *two* what are my chances threads. Sorry 'bout that folks... but here they are all in one thread now. :)

Good luck y'all.

Good chance at these places?
Basic rundown:

24k - 10V, 6P,8B. ( i know i didn't score well on my essay)
lots of volunteering and 7+ yrs of hospital/patient care experience- Certified Nursing assistant
I am also in the military (2LT in Army)
graduated with high honors and top 10% of graduating class
Shadowed for 64+ hours
3.4 Overall
3.16 Science GPA -

I'm going to apply to these schools:
Des Moines University COM
NOVA(reapplicant)
TOURO- NY
Touro-CA
Touro-NV
LMU( reapplicant)

I applied last year and got one interview at LMU and am on the alternate list right now!

Is this a good choice of schools?

Last edited:
Basic rundown:

25Q - 9V, 8,8.
Average/weak volunteering
Shadowed for 35+ hours
3.6 Overall
3.6 Science GPA - (on AACOMAS- unverified) it's around 3.42 with straight sciences

CCOM
KCUMB-COM
NSU-COM
OSU-COM
PCOM - GA
TUCOM - CA
LECOM - Bradenton
Possibly - KCOM, PCOM, and UMDNJ-SOM

I've already filled out AACOMAS, so I should be a pretty early applicant, just waiting for my transcripts.

Is this a good sampling of schools?

I think that is a pretty good sampling of schools, even without your possibilities. It seems like you want to keep south, and if that's the case, PCOM is not for you. Winter sucks in PA. Good luck with your applications!

I've been waiting for weeks to post in here, but they took forever to post my grades from this past semester.

Okay so I just finished junior year. I'm interested in applying not during this session but next one (entering med school fall '10). I really haven't been a premed (god I hate that term) but lately I've become more disenfranchised with the idea of being an engineer. Also throughout the course of this year, I took the heaviest and hardest classload ever and my grades shot way up. Suddenly my GPA went from being too low for consideration to definitely possible.

AACOMAS GPA:

Cum: 3.45
Sci: 3.44
Non Sci: 3.47

Definitely showing an upward trend, my GPA for the past two semesters was 3.75 and 3.98 (20 credits each). I'm also a double chemical & molecular engineering, and applied math & statistics major, which aren't exactly known for being real big GPA boosters.

I've yet to take the mCAT but I'm in the process of studying for it.

Not much in the way of ECs but this is what I have

--Helped organize organ donation awareness walk at school
--Officer in my school's chapter of AIChE
--Student rep on the undergraduate program committee (sit in on faculty meetings as student rep, giving student views about classes etc)
--Starting volunteer work in an ER next week
--Currently doing research in a cell lab
--Had lots of jobs even during school but nothing medically related

I'm a NY resident, and would be interested in going to a school in the NE US such as NYCOM, PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM etc...

So I have the big three questions (Which I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing but hey thats what this thread is for)

1. What are my chances?
2. What mCAT score would I need to be competitive?
3. What else can I do over the course of the next year before the next application session (besides the obvious boost GPA as much as possible)?

Thanks

I've been waiting for weeks to post in here, but they took forever to post my grades from this past semester.

Okay so I just finished junior year. I'm interested in applying not during this session but next one (entering med school fall '10). I really haven't been a premed (god I hate that term) but lately I've become more disenfranchised with the idea of being an engineer. Also throughout the course of this year, I took the heaviest and hardest classload ever and my grades shot way up. Suddenly my GPA went from being too low for consideration to definitely possible.

AACOMAS GPA:

Cum: 3.45
Sci: 3.44
Non Sci: 3.47

Definitely showing an upward trend, my GPA for the past two semesters was 3.75 and 3.98 (20 credits each). I'm also a double chemical & molecular engineering, and applied math & statistics major, which aren't exactly known for being real big GPA boosters.

I've yet to take the mCAT but I'm in the process of studying for it.

Not much in the way of ECs but this is what I have

--Helped organize organ donation awareness walk at school
--Officer in my school's chapter of AIChE
--Student rep on the undergraduate program committee (sit in on faculty meetings as student rep, giving student views about classes etc)
--Starting volunteer work in an ER next week
--Currently doing research in a cell lab
--Had lots of jobs even during school but nothing medically related

I'm a NY resident, and would be interested in going to a school in the NE US such as NYCOM, PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM etc...

So I have the big three questions (Which I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing but hey thats what this thread is for)

1. What are my chances?
2. What mCAT score would I need to be competitive?
3. What else can I do over the course of the next year before the next application session (besides the obvious boost GPA as much as possible)?

Thanks

GPA seems to be fine. Most DO schools have a 3.5 overall and 3.5 science. In terms of the MCAT study as much as you need to get your target score. Now that the exam is on computer and you can take it many times during the year don't take it unless you are scoring 3 points higher on practice tests then what your target score would be, that should account for nerves. Even if you need to take a whole year off to study for the MCAT's it will be a year well spent. 27+ will almost grantee an acceptance almost all DO schools in the country, unless you royally screw up your interview.

Taking courses over in your case may be dangerous. Math and science courses are really tough and unless you know that you can get A's in them this time around. personally, I would not suggest it. What you should do would be to take some 100 level courses in many different fields. These courses are usually easier and you should be able to get in the A range. Get advice from upper class men in the major on good professors they can make the difference between an A or C in a course. Doing that you will show ADCOM's that you are well rounded with broad interests.

I hope you are accepted to a school of your choice. Good Luck!!!!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Taking courses over in your case may be dangerous. Math and science courses are really tough and unless you know that you can get A's in them this time around. personally, I would not suggest it. What you should do would be to take some 100 level courses in many different fields. These courses are usually easier and you should be able to get in the A range. Get advice from upper class men in the major on good professors they can make the difference between an A or C in a course. Doing that you will show ADCOM's that you are well rounded with broad interests.

Actually there really isn't any class that is worth retaking. I've only gotten one C range grade ever (first semester, first time I took calc I, c-) and I already retook it for a B+. It wouldn't be worth retaking a B- in some other class.

Anyone else have any other suggestions/comments?

Last edited:
Actually there really isn't any class that is worth retaking. I've only gotten one C range grade ever (first semester, first time I took calc I, c-) and I already retook it for a B+. It wouldn't be worth retaking a B- in some other class.

Anyone else have any other suggestions/comments?

Okay to answer the question about that you gave on the waitlist post. Most students who are waitlisted with strong stats applied late or had bad interviews. I had a 3.63 26 ( a bad verbal :(), but got wait listed at nycom my first choice mainly because i took the mcat this january, and the scores came in march.

Second i would not worry about your gpa, no school will reject you based on your gpa. Second your an engineer major, you should annihilate the PS section. I know many engineers major who do well on the mcat, and killed the PS section which in my opinion is the easiest section, since you have probably taken more complicated math than basic physics. Just get a strong mcat and you will be more wondering where you should go, instead of if i should get in. Get at least 24 and you will have a shot somewhere, nothing lower then you are in difficult position. But try to get at least a 27 and then you are very competitive at every school.

If you can get a 3.5 as an engineer major, you can do well on the mcat. That is my vote of confidence in you.:D

Hope it helps

I need some advice about whether or not to re-take O-chem this summer.

My grade was a C+ the first time I took O-chem I, and I was thinking of retaking the course so that I can show adcoms that I can do well in an O-chem course. I got C's in all O-chem courses I've ever taken (sad, I know).

I know that even if I got an A+ this time, this won't be a significant gpa booster. My science gpa is about 2.9

I am almost done with my AACOMAS and will be able to submit in about a week.

Anyone think retaking this course is worth my summer?

Thanks!

Bruinette: what does the rest of your application look like?

A science GPA of 3.0 could get you around some cutoffs, and it looks a hell of a lot better than a 2.9. But it might not matter to a lot of places if you have a strong upward trend, good MCAT, solid overall GPA, etc.

TexasTriathlete, thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

Overal GPA 3.1
Science gpa 2.9
Physical Science major

MCAT 29Q

My science gpa trend:

First yr: 3.02
Last yr: 3.31

Extracurriculars: Mixture of clinical and non-clinical. Did alot of underserved work. Lots of leadership roles. I would say this is the strength of my application.

Research: yup, was a paid supervisor

Letters: The science profs' letters are average, so-so. But the research professor and physician letters are great.

Do what you can to bump that GPA. Maybe even going as far to re-take any pre-requisites you got a C or less in.

I think you've got a shot right now, but you're far from a lock. But I think you're close enough, so anything you can do to bump that GPA will help.

And be prepared to explain years 2 and 3 at your interviews.

And apply EARLY. Like, now.

TexasTriathlete, thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

Overal GPA 3.1
Science gpa 2.9
Physical Science major

MCAT 29Q

My science gpa trend:

First yr: 3.02
Last yr: 3.31

Extracurriculars: Mixture of clinical and non-clinical. Did alot of underserved work. Lots of leadership roles. I would say this is the strength of my application.

Research: yup, was a paid supervisor

Letters: The science profs' letters are average, so-so. But the research professor and physician letters are great.

apply early, you have a decent shot. If you can retake a few science course you did bad in, i would do so ( If you can bump your gpa to a 3.3 ish 3.0 sciences, you are almost a lock to get in somewhere). But even if you cant, You still can get in, i would look at schools who dont have the 3.0 cutoff for science gpa.

Good chance at these places?
Basic rundown:

24k - 10V, 6P,8B. ( i know i didn't score well on my essay)
lots of volunteering and 7+ yrs of hospital/patient care experience- Certified Nursing assistant
I am also in the military (2LT in Army)
graduated with high honors and top 10% of graduating class
Shadowed for 64+ hours
3.4 Overall
3.16 Science GPA -

Des Moines University COM
NOVA(reapplicant)
TOURO- NY
Touro-CA
Touro-NV
LMU( reapplicant)

I applied last year and got one interview at LMU and am on the alternate list right now!

Is this a good choice of schools?

looks like you got lost in the shuffle. My honest opinion is that you should get in somewhere, but you will have trouble with some schools because of the writing, and uneven mcat score. Its not a guarantee you will get in. I would DEFINATELY apply to more schools atleast 10 to 12. Dmu looks at science gpa alot more some schools, (i called them up and spoke to them why i was waitlisted), i applied really late, not sure how they would look at you though. You have a shot at the other 5. If you can raise your mcat, i would, that seems like your biggest problem. I think UNECOM, has a writing score minimum. i would look for other schools if they have a requirement. your ec's are fine.

hope this helps

looks like you got lost in the shuffle. My honest opinion is that you should get in somewhere, but you will have trouble with some schools because of the writing, and uneven mcat score. Its not a guarantee you will get in. I would DEFINATELY apply to more schools atleast 10 to 12. Dmu looks at science gpa alot more some schools, (i called them up and spoke to them why i was waitlisted), i applied really late, not sure how they would look at you though. You have a shot at the other 5. If you can raise your mcat, i would, that seems like your biggest problem. I think UNECOM, has a writing score minimum. i would look for other schools if they have a requirement. your ec's are fine.

hope this helps

thanks for the advice... both my essays on my mcat were political/militaryish and well i think i may have been bias so i think that hurt me.....

Hey guys maybe you could provide some help for me as well.

MCAT 26P
9v 8p 9b

cum gpa 3.66
bcpm 3.74
non-sci 3.57
all according to AACOMAS

florida resident

leadership in a club, worked full time through college, volunteer with a couple of MDs and one DO, volunteered in ER for ~200 hours. Research with two paid fellowships. thanks for the time.

applying to:
LECOM-B
PCOM-GA
NOVA
AT Still
AZCOM

Thanks a lot.

user_offline.gif