~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys,
I wanted to see what you guys think about my situation

I just graduated with a 3.36 gpa overall. I had really bad first semesters but i boasted it up the last 4 semesters averaging 3.7 and above. I have tons of experience (working basically since i was 16 consistently, volunteer work , shadowing, research and teaching assistant in college). Also my mcat score is coming on tuesday, but i am expecting a 28 or greater based on my practice scores. I am currently applying for the 2009 term for all 8 texas schools and 8 out of state DO schools. Also I am currently a texas resident.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,
I wanted to see what you guys think about my situation

I just graduated with a 3.36 gpa overall. I had really bad first semesters but i boasted it up the last 4 semesters averaging 3.7 and above. I have tons of experience (working basically since i was 16 consistently, volunteer work , shadowing, research and teaching assistant in college). Also my mcat score is coming on tuesday, but i am expecting a 28 or greater based on my practice scores. I am currently applying for the 2009 term for all 8 texas schools and 8 out of state DO schools. Also I am currently a texas resident.

assuming you get your 28 i'd say your chances are :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: pretty high.

Hey guys maybe you could provide some help for me as well.

MCAT 26P
9v 8p 9b

cum gpa 3.66
bcpm 3.74
non-sci 3.57
all according to AACOMAS

florida resident

leadership in a club, worked full time through college, volunteer with a couple of MDs and one DO, volunteered in ER for ~200 hours. Research with two paid fellowships. thanks for the time.

applying to:
LECOM-B
PCOM-GA
NOVA
AT Still
AZCOM

Thanks a lot

You have a good gpa, an average well balanced mcat, solid ec's should get into a couple of schools. I would consider applying to a couple more schools. IMO 5 is not alot, and things can go wrong (bad interviews, "i hate this school", etc). To be safe i would add 2 or 3 more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
looks like you got lost in the shuffle. My honest opinion is that you should get in somewhere, but you will have trouble with some schools because of the writing, and uneven mcat score. Its not a guarantee you will get in. I would DEFINATELY apply to more schools atleast 10 to 12. Dmu looks at science gpa alot more some schools, (i called them up and spoke to them why i was waitlisted), i applied really late, not sure how they would look at you though. You have a shot at the other 5. If you can raise your mcat, i would, that seems like your biggest problem. I think UNECOM, has a writing score minimum. i would look for other schools if they have a requirement. your ec's are fine.

hope this helps

i wish i could apply to more but the money is an issue already have a fee wavier for 3 so we will see what happens

Hey guys
Need some advice on what should I do. I am on the fence right now on what I should do.

I am applying to 8 DO schools for the 2009 term. I have sent out all my stuff to the aacomas site and I have everything ready to send out secondaries to be qualified as early applicant. I have a 3.36 overall gpa and a 23R on the MCAT. I have tons of work experience throughout my 4 years of college, EC (volunteer, shadowing, research and teaching assistant). Should I retake the MCAT in august or should I apply with what I have right now? Also I wanted to see if it is possible to send the MCAT to aacomas and resend it again in august and will the schools be able to see my improved score?

tell me if there's a chance and if so, where should I apply?

NY resident, 3.91 bcp; 3.75 overall, 7b,8p,9v (retaking); research experience (no pubs), volunteer 200 hrs, shadowed DOs, community service, some leadership; hope to apply this week

Last edited:
Hey guys
Need some advice on what should I do. I am on the fence right now on what I should do.

I am applying to 8 DO schools for the 2009 term. I have sent out all my stuff to the aacomas site and I have everything ready to send out secondaries to be qualified as early applicant. I have a 3.36 overall gpa and a 23R on the MCAT. I have tons of work experience throughout my 4 years of college, EC (volunteer, shadowing, research and teaching assistant). Should I retake the MCAT in august or should I apply with what I have right now? Also I wanted to see if it is possible to send the MCAT to aacomas and resend it again in august and will the schools be able to see my improved score?
I'm looking for the same advice: 24MCAT and 3.9 bcp 3.75 overall. You got secondaries already???

I'm looking for the same advice: 24MCAT and 3.9 bcp 3.75 overall. You got secondaries already???

well i've written all the secondary essays based on the forums here and I have all the fees ready to be sent out, so i am just waiting for a response from the schools. I think your gpa will push you through with the DO schools.

Hey guys

Yes, when you add your scores to AACOMAS they will get an update. If you indicated that you were planning to retake, they may be waiting for your scores to review your file (this does not mean that you won't get a secondary prior to the second MCAT though)

26Q (8 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS)
3.80 Science
3.88 Cumulative
3.91 Overall
Average volunteering, ec's, and LORs.

MSUCOM is my first choice. Also, PCOM, CCOM. I dont want to have to retake (I was scoring 27-32 on the aamc practice exams), but I want to make sure that my chances are good to get into one of my top choices. TIA.

Kinda sounds like you both should apply, based on the fact that you're right where many schools say their average MCAT lies. If you mark that you will be retaking, you will usually be placed on hold and not be reviewed until September, when the scores come out. This is later, obviously, than if you used your current score.

Kinda sounds like you both should apply, based on the fact that you're right where many schools say their average MCAT lies. If you mark that you will be retaking, you will usually be placed on hold and not be reviewed until September, when the scores come out. This is later, obviously, than if you used your current score.
Well since I have no idea what went wrong; it was lower than even my diagnostic, so I don't even have confidence that I'll do better. I'm weighing whether the delay is going to hurt more than it may help.

Are you saying their average MCAT is 23-24 for all applicants or accepted applicants? I think it's much higher for accepted applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
26Q (8 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS)
3.80 Science
3.88 Cumulative
3.91 Overall
Average volunteering, ec's, and LORs.

MSUCOM is my first choice. Also, PCOM, CCOM. I dont want to have to retake (I was scoring 27-32 on the aamc practice exams), but I want to make sure that my chances are good to get into one of my top choices. TIA.

tell me if there's a chance and if so, where should I apply?

NY resident, 3.91 bcp; 3.75 overall, 7b,8p,9v (retaking); research experience (no pubs), volunteer 200 hrs, showed DOs, community service, some leadership; hope to apply this week

you guys both have rock solid GPAs and seemingly nothing wrong with your ECs. I imagine you'll both find an acceptance letter in the mail by the end of this.

Well since I have no idea what went wrong; it was lower than even my diagnostic, so I don't even have confidence that I'll do better. I'm weighing whether the delay is going to hurt more than it may help.

Are you saying their average MCAT is 23-24 for all applicants or accepted applicants? I think it's much higher for accepted applicants.

Several schools I have seen quote average of 8's in each section for successful applicants. Some other ones quote higher scores. I'm not saying you're in a great position with this score, but you seem to still have a good chance at some schools, at least. I don't know which ones you're applying to, nor do many schools like to publish this info. I would probably contact the schools, if I were you, to see what they'd recommend. They're usually helpful with situations like this. :luck:

I've a 3.6 GPA, 3.48 Sci. but struggled on my MCAT 22M. I'll be applying to my instate schools (Michigan) but will apply to 12 or so out of state osteopathic schools. I've looked at the percentage of out-of-state kids that are accepted at the various schools, however, many with the higher percentages accept most of their out of state kids from a region (i.e. Appalachian states.) What 10 or so osteopathic schools offer up the best chance for a Michigander with a low MCAT? Thanks

I took my MCAT on may 10th and I thought i voided but i accidentally didn't. So i got my scores yesterday and I got a 20R. on the practice tests i kept getting from 32 to 37, and i guess i got nervous with the difficulty of the test and messed it up. But my writing was awesome, which i don't understand. I signed up for the Aug 22nd MCAT and I am aiming for a 35, but what should I do? I emailed AAMC to see if I could still cancel since i wanted to void the test, but i'm afraid not. i am also planning on applying to DO and through the Texas Medical School System. Is there a way I can only forward my latests scores to those 2 systems? I know that with AAMC I am SOL already. Please guys, help me. I know i messed it up but i don;t know what to do. I really thought i had voided, and besides that, among all the practice tests i took, my lowest score was a 29. I really don't understand. My science GPA is a 3.98 and my overall is a 3.89. I have excellent LORs, great EC, research experience, played sport in college, volunteered, shadowed, etc. This is really a nightmare for me. PLEASE HELP. Should I apply now and do my best to rock my next MCAT? If I do apply, should I even try MD or just go for DO? (I'm an international student, so it's a little harder for me to get in). I will have my new scores on Sep 22nd. Will it be too late for MD since i'm international or is it worth a shot? Please, please, please, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Take it again. If you were doing that well, and then pulled a 20, it probably just wasn't your day, and you'll do better next time. People **** up and have to re-take it all the time. Take it again ASAP.

Yes, you have to release your MCAT scores when you apply to MD or DO schools, so they will see all your MCAT attempts. I'm afraid you can't do anything about your score except for to do your best and aim high the next time around.

Good Luck :luck:

how'd you wind up with a 20? Nervousness/test anxiety? Or was it because of lack of preparation? I know a girl with a GPA like yours who got a 44 on the PCAT (which is horrible) but her main issue was severe anxiety.. I think she knew her material.

If it was because of nervousness, you need to get yourself equipped with some stretegies to deal with it effectively. If you didn't prepare, well you know what you have to do.

I took my MCAT on may 10th and I thought i voided but i accidentally didn't. So i got my scores yesterday and I got a 20R. on the practice tests i kept getting from 32 to 37, and i guess i got nervous with the difficulty of the test and messed it up. But my writing was awesome, which i don't understand. I signed up for the Aug 22nd MCAT and I am aiming for a 35, but what should I do? I emailed AAMC to see if I could still cancel since i wanted to void the test, but i'm afraid not. i am also planning on applying to DO and through the Texas Medical School System. Is there a way I can only forward my latests scores to those 2 systems? I know that with AAMC I am SOL already. Please guys, help me. I know i messed it up but i don;t know what to do. I really thought i had voided, and besides that, among all the practice tests i took, my lowest score was a 29. I really don't understand. My science GPA is a 3.98 and my overall is a 3.89. I have excellent LORs, great EC, research experience, played sport in college, volunteered, shadowed, etc. This is really a nightmare for me. PLEASE HELP. Should I apply now and do my best to rock my next MCAT? If I do apply, should I even try MD or just go for DO? (I'm an international student, so it's a little harder for me to get in). I will have my new scores on Sep 22nd. Will it be too late for MD since i'm international or is it worth a shot? Please, please, please, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Im a 3rd yr...But wanted to commment bc I had a friend in a similar position. JUst take a breathe. Retake the MCAT as planned. I dont know how the months are set up for applying or what since you can now take the MCAT several times a yr (you could only take it twice when I took mine) So IF you can still apply this yr I would if your NEW MCAT score will show up. CHances are if you are scoring as well as you are on pract tests you'll do great the second time around (less stress and pressure) and they will see a HUGE improvement in your scores. I mgiht include a letter with your application just stating that the first one was supposed to be a void and that you retook it....They'll see your GREAT new score and it will all work itself out! If you want to be a doctor...You will be one! I promise that! Good Luck to you!

how'd you wind up with a 20? Nervousness/test anxiety? Or was it because of lack of preparation? I know a girl with a GPA like yours who got a 44 on the PCAT (which is horrible) but her main issue was severe anxiety.. I think she knew her material.

If it was because of nervousness, you need to get yourself equipped with some stretegies to deal with it effectively. If you didn't prepare, well you know what you have to do.

I was definitely prepared. i walked into the testing room with a 36 in my mind. i swear. But there were some very hard passages that blow me away. I thought i voided, but i would never expect a 20 AT ALL. at the worst case scenario a 25. I had to check my scores more than once to believe it! I got nervous, but i never thought i would've gotten a 20. But i will definitely work on that. But...should i even bother getting it re-scored? What are the chances that a CBT test would get messed up??

Yes, you have to release your MCAT scores when you apply to MD or DO schools, so they will see all your MCAT attempts. I'm afraid you can't do anything about your score except for to do your best and aim high the next time around.

Thanks for your reply! But on the aamc screen of your testing history there is an option to release a score to other application systems and to release all scores, because they do not automatically go to the AACOM system. I really thought you could just send the latest scores. The same with TMDSAS.

It sounds like you just choked. Take it again, and you'll have a better idea of what to expect, and you won't get caught up in the moment again.

Posted via Mobile Device

Im a 3rd yr...But wanted to commment bc I had a friend in a similar position. JUst take a breathe. Retake the MCAT as planned. I dont know how the months are set up for applying or what since you can now take the MCAT several times a yr (you could only take it twice when I took mine) So IF you can still apply this yr I would if your NEW MCAT score will show up. CHances are if you are scoring as well as you are on pract tests you'll do great the second time around (less stress and pressure) and they will see a HUGE improvement in your scores. I mgiht include a letter with your application just stating that the first one was supposed to be a void and that you retook it....They'll see your GREAT new score and it will all work itself out! If you want to be a doctor...You will be one! I promise that! Good Luck to you!
Thanks you very very much! I really appreciate that! Good luck to you in med school!! :)

It sounds like you just choked. Take it again, and you'll have a better idea of what to expect, and you won't get caught up in the moment again.

Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I will do that. But should I even apply this year? Do I still have a chance with MDs?

Yes you still have a chance anywhere you apply, but you probably don't have much of a chance at MD or DO with a 20. Indicate on your application that you are re-taking (there is a place to address this), and most schools will wait to evaluate your application until they have your updated score.

You bombed it, but **** happens. Its not the end of the world. You'll be fine with a strong effort next time around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes you still have a chance anywhere you apply, but you probably don't have much of a chance at MD or DO with a 20. Indicate on your application that you are re-taking (there is a place to address this), and most schools will wait to evaluate your application until they have your updated score.

You bombed it, but **** happens. Its not the end of the world. You'll be fine with a strong effort next time around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. Yeah, i will definitely give my blood and my soul to this next MCAT. Thanks again!:)

Thanks for your reply! But on the aamc screen of your testing history there is an option to release a score to other application systems and to release all scores, because they do not automatically go to the AACOM system. I really thought you could just send the latest scores. The same with TMDSAS.

Yep, I'm afraid so. Here's a screen shot from MCAT THx:

picture1ec6.png

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10637

no idea where to apply except for the schools from my area -- lecom and pcom.

pretty social justice oriented -- want to go somewhere where such a culture exists already. but again, it'd be fun to start/expand such a culture at a place where it is not so much emphasized. currently seriously considering going into family medicine and working in an underserved area.

any suggestion as to where to apply, including what you think my chances are (not competitve, competitive, very competitive) is greatly appreciated! thank you!

p.s. also, kind of re-studying for the mcat right now, possible retake in july. but with apps & summer research project not sure if that is feasible. suggestions? :scared:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10637

no idea where to apply except for the schools from my area -- lecom and pcom.

pretty social justice oriented -- want to go somewhere where such a culture exists already. but again, it'd be fun to start/expand such a culture at a place where it is not so much emphasized. currently seriously considering going into family medicine and working in an underserved area.

any suggestion as to where to apply, including what you think my chances are (not competitve, competitive, very competitive) is greatly appreciated! thank you!

p.s. also, kind of re-studying for the mcat right now, possible retake in july. but with apps & summer research project not sure if that is feasible. suggestions? :scared:

i'm pretty sure Touro-NY's mission is heavily devoted to serving underserved areas. the school is in the middle of Harlem. you might want to check into that.

edit: as far as stats, you will be very competitive at every DO school you apply.

i'm pretty sure Touro-NY's mission is heavily devoted to serving underserved areas. the school is in the middle of Harlem. you might want to check into that.

edit: as far as stats, you will be very competitive at every DO school you apply.

What you just said, is the mission statement for Touro NY. From the outside, It looks like a perfect match :p.

NYCOM also has a few under served hospitals in NY, but they are not as dedicated to the under served as touro is. Touro NY has many community service events going on in these areas like project aspire, if you have more questions i would ask a SDN member named Colbert on the Touro discussion thread, about detailed of these community service programs etc.

just added nycom and umdnj-som to the list.
touro-ny is pretty new so i dont know how i feel about that... i'm going to go read the looooong thread on touro-ny now.
any pros and cons to the schools i have selected so far? any complaints, hearsay, etc.? pcom, lecom, nycom, umdnj-som

thanks

just added nycom and umdnj-som to the list.
touro-ny is pretty new so i dont know how i feel about that... i'm going to go read the looooong thread on touro-ny now.
any pros and cons to the schools i have selected so far? any complaints, hearsay, etc.? pcom, lecom, nycom, umdnj-som

thanks

No long thread at all... :) you just rephrased there mission statement, so it seemed like a good fit.

It looks like you like the north east. I would look into unecom. Pick places where you want to go. If you like big cities look at CCOM, if you like warm weather nova, western, azcom are good fits. It is all about preference.

By "underserved", I'm not sure if you mean urban or rural, or if it matters, but I know TCOM has some special rural medicine track that prepares people specifically for rural family med.

It sounds boring as **** to me, but some people love it, and God knows those areas could use the docs.

Also, TCOM is ridiculously cheap, even as a non-resident, so the loans wouldn't be as daunting when considering a primary care residency.

You might also look hard at ATSU-SOMA. They are a pretty unique school, but they might be just what you're looking for.

my downfall comes from organic chemistry i got a c- so alot of schools won't accept it so its not even worth apply which sucks brcause i really can't go back to school and retake it...trying to take one online through the military

So that means that the other schools don't? If I am retaking should I hold off sending my MCAT score (24), but then I can't get verified and it will delay things. Am I better off submitting and say I'm retaking?
What do you mean hold off your MCAT score? Can you do that with DO and MD? How?? Cause i was wondering the same thing.

Yep, I'm afraid so. Here's a screen shot from MCAT THx:

picture1ec6.png

i dont get it. So i took the mcat got a 27, i sent that score to AACOM.. but i took it again on May 27th, if i do worse.. do i have to tell AACOM about it? I really much rather not.

i dont get it. So i took the mcat got a 27, i sent that score to AACOM.. but i took it again on May 27th, if i do worse.. do i have to tell AACOM about it? I really much rather not.

DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS, but if you dont send in your second score to them and they already have your first score. I dont think they have a way of finding out. I am definately not sure about this.

You should ask accomas about this

Last edited:
What do you mean hold off your MCAT score? Can you do that with DO and MD? How?? Cause i was wondering the same thing.

You can tell the schools to make a decision after your second mcat and hold your app till them. Most schools do that when they see you are retaking

So that means that the other schools don't? If I am retaking should I hold off sending my MCAT score (24), but then I can't get verified and it will delay things. Am I better off submitting and say I'm retaking?

What I am saying is that if you apply through AACOMAS or AMCAS, you are required to submit all MCAT scores and attempts. You can't selectively pick and choose which scores you want to send them. That was the purpose of the screen shot, to show that AACOMAS requires all MCAT attempts to be submitted when you apply.

You can be verified without an MCAT score and AACOMAS will update schools with your score when it comes in. Just put down on your application that you're retaking.

If you did not indicate on your application that you were retaking on May 27th then AACOMAS and your schools are not expecting a second score from you. Technically, if you do worse you don't have to send it to them because they are not aware that you are retaking.

As for whether or not this is morally correct or academic dishonesty, I'm not sure. You would be, essentially, hiding a MCAT score from them if you do worse. You might want to anonymously call a school and ask what they would do if they found out that an applicant retook the MCAT, did worse and then failed to tell the school about after they had interviewed and accepted said person. It's your call.

You can tell the schools to make a decision after your second mcat and hold your app till them. Most schools do that when they see you are retaking
So i submit my old score and apply to the schools and then contact the schools? Or the schools will automatically hold my app whenever they see that i will be retaking?

So i submit my old score and apply to the schools and then contact the schools? Or the schools will automatically hold my app whenever they see that i will be retaking?

OK, I posted this yesterday, but I'll tell you about my experience (I'm not saying this is word for word how it will be for you).

I was placed on hold for review at all the schools I applied to pending release of my 2nd MCAT score. I was also put on hold for a secondary at 2 schools pending the release of my 2nd MCAT score. This may or may not have been due to a pretty low 1st score, I can't say for sure.

They offered to review my file before the 2nd score came in, but I wanted them to wait for my new score. if you don't care about your 2nd score go ahead and tell the schools to review your application without it! Being put on hold because of your pending MCAT score is not a punishment, as most people make it out to be! :)

If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten my **** together and already had a MCAT score I was happy with before I even submitted my primary to AACOMAS.

is it even worth applying to PNWU as a CA resident from san Diego? They make it sound like its nearly impossible to get in if you are not from the 5 states they mention.

is it even worth applying to PNWU as a CA resident from san Diego? They make it sound like its nearly impossible to get in if you are not from the 5 states they mention.

I'm a CA resident (from San Francisco and San Diego) and was rejected post-secondary last year (ouch) and let me tell you, that secondary fee aint cheap! ;)

Good Luck this cycle Ryserr! :luck: