1. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

2008 vs. 2010 Kaplan Step 1 Books

Discussion in 'Kaplan Medical USMLE Forum' started by DrMasochist, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. DrMasochist

DrMasochist

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So I had someone give me the 2008 books for free but I have the 2010 Kaplan Lecture Series Videos. Should I buy the 2010 lecture books? Are there any major differences between the two?

Thanks
  2. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello DrMasochist,

The 2008 books are very good, while the 2010 notes are updated and in color. Certainly some subjects do not change with time (such as Anatomy) but others do so students need to know the current information.

Unless you are accessing the videos through an enrolled course with Kaplan, please keep in mind that any other videos have been copied illegally and are not guaranteed to be current, accurate, complete or supported.
  3. loveyourlife3

loveyourlife3

Pre-Medical
    Hello. Apologies in advance if this post is repetitive; I am new to the site. I bought Kaplan's series of books back in 2010 when I first considered medicine. It took me awhile to commit, and I will be sitting for the MCAT for the first time in April of 2013. Given the changes to the MCAT, should I purchase an updated version of the series (2013), or are my 2010 books in physical/biological/verbal adequate to do as well as possible? Thank you in advance for any advice.
  4. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi loveyourlife3,

This is the USMLE forum, but we checked with our MCAT experts, and they mentioned that the books are totally appropriate for you, just ignore the writing section now. Please PM KaplanPatrick for more details.

And you may want to check out the MCAT forum, too!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=320

Good luck!