2009-2010 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

Describe yourself. (1000 character limit)

Explain which EC you would want to talk about in an interview. (160 character limit)

LOR Reqs

• If the school you attend(ed) has a Premedical Advisory Committee, we strongly encourage you to have a letter sent by that committee.
  • If you received a college degree and/or completed any of the prerequisite science courses within the past four years (2006-2009), and you are not submitting a Premedical Committee Recommendation, letters should be sent by two professors in whose classes you were enrolled for credit. One of the two should be from a science instructor. If you are not sending a letter from a science instructor from whom you received course credit, a letter may be sent from your supervisor at a volunteer scientific research position, or a paid scientific research position.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the question: 'Choose an EC you'd like to talk about in an interview' are you guys going to list a medically related EC or does it not matter?

For the question: 'Choose an EC you'd like to talk about in an interview' are you guys going to list a medically related EC or does it not matter?

I listed my clinical research but my experiences are somewhat limited, also its the only experience on my list that I truly enjoyed and didnt do just to make a bullet point on my amcas app.

Members don't see this ad :)
I listed my clinical research but my experiences are somewhat limited, also its the only experience on my list that I truly enjoyed and didnt do just to make a bullet point on my amcas app.

I would really like to talk about either winning homecoming king of my university, or starting my own t-shirt company in college but i dont know the relevance of those things to medicine really (although I think they would be interesting topics of conversation)

I would really like to talk about either winning homecoming king of my university, or starting my own t-shirt company in college but i dont know the relevance of those things to medicine really (although I think they would be interesting topics of conversation)
Im sure those are fine (id stay away from homecoming thing, maybe the T-shirt thing would be better). It doesnt say you have to talk about something medically related, so if the t-shirt thing is really interesting to you then run with it. Its not like they want talk to you abut clinical stuff anyways,

just to let you know, there's a good chance you won't be talking about any of the **** that you said you wanted to talk about. this school is one of the big ethics schools. questions regarding healthcare, medical scenarios, legislature, and why you want to do what you want to do (w/ consideration to ethics/professionalism/reasoning/whatever) came up for me.

definitely a fun and interactive interview

Nice. I'll focus on something related to that

Last edited:
just to let you know, there's a good chance you won't be talking about any of the **** that you said you wanted to talk about. this school is one of the big ethics schools. questions regarding healthcare, medical scenarios, legislature, and why you want to do what you want to do (w/ consideration to ethics/professionalism/reasoning/whatever) came up for me.

awesome! i love how secondaries are incredibly useless but we still have to fill them out lol...:p

Probably depends on your interviewer... mine started off by saying "so, you said in your secondary you wanted to talk about _______. So go ahead."

But yes, very interactive interview for sure.

for the "Describe yourself" question..are you guys going into an anecdote or jsut going into who you are ..

i just feel strange saying i am bla bla bla and bla..and alos bla bla and bla..without it sounding weird..but with only a paragraph its hard to be all that descriptive with the anecdote..

any thoughts?

for the "Describe yourself" question..are you guys going into an anecdote or jsut going into who you are ..

i just feel strange saying i am bla bla bla and bla..and alos bla bla and bla..without it sounding weird..but with only a paragraph its hard to be all that descriptive with the anecdote..

any thoughts?
It is really a difficult question. I, too, donot like to write in first person but the 1000 char. limit is forcing me to. I am just doing: I am compassionate, humble etc. I would love to show them my characteristics via stories but 1000 char. give you room for nothing.

i know..
but im having a hard time because if i am giving no support for what i am saying it jsut maks me sound flaky or something.i dont know..

Members don't see this ad :)
i know..
but im having a hard time because if i am giving no support for what i am saying it jsut maks me sound flaky or something.i dont know..

I focused on a general theme then listed a few expereinces that sorta "shaped" my life and left it at that. As long as you are genuine and its interesting i dont think theres really a right or wrong way to dothis.

Can someone please post the questions for this secondary? Thanks!

Can someone please post the questions for this secondary? Thanks!
its not out yet for this year...the above posts were based on last years prompt (which will likely be this years prompt) You can find all the 08 prompts on sdn easily.

its not out yet for this year...the above posts were based on last years prompt (which will likely be this years prompt) You can find all the 08 prompts on sdn easily.

Oops! Ok thanks.

Can someone post the prompts? I haven't received the secondary yet. Thanks!

Can someone post the prompts? I haven't received the secondary yet. Thanks!

No one has yet, the people working on it are just assuming it'll be the same as last year's prompts

Hey guys

I was told that Albany medical college does not let us send our LORs through AMCAS and we have to mail the LORs directly to them??

well, Ive been calling Albany for the past few days but can not seem to get through and I have looked on their website for the address to mail the LORs...but i CANT seem to find it?!

Can you guys PLEASE help and let me know what the address is so I can mail my LORs to albany?! thank you guys so much and good luck!!!

Hey guys

I was told that Albany medical college does not let us send our LORs through AMCAS and we have to mail the LORs directly to them??

well, Ive been calling Albany for the past few days but can not seem to get through and I have looked on their website for the address to mail the LORs...but i CANT seem to find it?!

Can you guys PLEASE help and let me know what the address is so I can mail my LORs to albany?! thank you guys so much and good luck!!!
you shouldnt mail LORs until the secondary is recieved.

Hey guys

I would not consider this urgent by any means. The reason you cant contact them is because they dont want to talk to you yet. No one's gotten the secondary yet, and you probably submit the LORs with the secondary anyway. It's not that serious

Hey guys

I would highly recommend you go to the campus right now and hand them your LORs in person. Not doing so may result in an auto-rejection.

I would highly recommend you go to the campus right now and hand them your LORs in person. Not doing so may result in an auto-rejection.

I actually called them a few days ago asking whether I should send LOR now or not.

They said it doesn't matter when I send it and they are ready to receive the letters. So I sent them out as express mail

I actually called them a few days ago asking whether I should send LOR now or not.

They said it doesn't matter when I send it and they are ready to receive the letters. So I sent them out as express mail

lol i was joking, but okay! :)

way to go camaras you are misguiding EVERYONE...geeze...haha

lol. sometimes i forget how crazy some SDNers are. i hope no one has started driving 3000 miles from california lol.

one thing i've learned pretty quickly has been how sarcasm is easily lost online. you should have known better!

one thing i've learned pretty quickly has been how sarcasm is easily lost online. you should have known better!

Yeah right. For whoever that took that advice and is on their way to NYMC, they deserve to suffer with the long drive lol.

Yeah right. For whoever that took that advice and is on their way to NYMC, they deserve to suffer with the long drive lol.

but hey when we all get rejected because they dont have our lor's that person is going to get in! thank goodness they made the drive! haha

but hey when we all get rejected because they dont have our lor's that person is going to get in! thank goodness they made the drive! haha

Except the fedex dude will totally win that race, depending on where the driver is comin from lol

way to go camaras you are misguiding EVERYONE...geeze...haha
lol starting mass panic...seriously though wow........im amazed each day by someone on here:laugh:. Calling and fedexing is classic lol

lol starting mass panic...seriously though wow........im amazed each day by someone on here:laugh:. Calling and fedexing is classic lol

well sdn often makes me feel stupid (when I see ppl with 40+ on the mcat and a 4.0) but then it makes me like a normal person (when i read crazy ppl talk...haha)

well sdn often makes me feel stupid (when I see ppl with 40+ on the mcat and a 4.0) but then it makes me like a normal person (when i read crazy ppl talk...haha)

how is that possible? you don't have cell phone service! :p

how is that possible? you don't have cell phone service! :p

well i do when im in the city...haha...but of course i guess the igloos and dog sleds make me feel a little different too...

muuussssssssHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Alaska's fantastic in the summer, I feel. Then again the fact that even the state capital is blocked by ice on three sides is a bit intimidating.

I visited on a cruise ship last summer with my family and would love to go back one day. I can't even stand the gelatinous smoked salmon stateside anymore. I have to get those beautiful filets shipped in from Alaska in those gold foil packets. Mmmm!!

Last edited:
well i do when im in the city...haha...but of course i guess the igloos and dog sleds make me feel a little different too...
dog sleds!!!i know you are probaly joking but serious i want to ride on one:(. If i come to alaska will you take me!:p

What thats thing called again with the dog racing in snow....like the iditerod? Thats in alaska isnt it?

Last edited:
dog sleds!!!i know you are probaly joking but serious i want to ride on one:(. If i come to alaska will you take me!:p

What thats thing called again with the dog racing in snow....like the iditerod? Thats in alaska isnt it?

ooooooomg i wanna dog sled too!! lets plan a trip for everyone interested :)

well everybody i am glad that you have been talking about my life ALL DAY hahaha...jk jk

as far as smoked salmon...we are actually making some at my house probably tomorrow :) i love it too...but you are right about that crap down in the states...its bad...plus its farm raised and i dont eat farm raised fish...haha people here have bumper stickers that say "friends dont let friends eat farm raised fish"...they are 100% serious about it...

as far as dog sledding i have only been once or twice... what you are referring to elijah it is called the iditarod and it is in alaska! i used to watch the start of it every year...but now im in arizona when they do it...

just as you guys dont ask me "why is alaska so cold if it is by hawaii" or "how do you drive to alaska if it is an island" then you could never ask the stupidest questions i have heard...

well everybody i am glad that you have been talking about my life ALL DAY hahaha...jk jk

We love you that much. Or at least, I do! :love: :laugh:

as far as smoked salmon...we are actually making some at my house probably tomorrow :)

Level of love dropped a little bit, due to lack of invite.

as far as dog sledding i have only been once or twice... what you are referring to elijah it is called the iditarod and it is in alaska! i used to watch the start of it every year

Level of love may return to previous level, if you take my dog sledding.

just as you guys dont ask me "why is alaska so cold if it is by hawaii" or "how do you drive to alaska if it is an island" then you could never ask the stupidest questions i have heard...

So how do you drive to Alaska, since it is an island? :) :p

Y'know this reminds me of a conversation I had with a dermpath fellow. He was telling me how he chose between Brown and Galveston and I said well neither sounds great since you'd be stuck in both places.

He went silent for a brief moment, stared straight at me and said "you know Rhode Island isn't an actual island, right?"

Fail. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.