2009-2010 Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AECOM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its hard to believe that its july 14 and there has not been any wait list movement.

Members don't see this ad.

just got my housing assignment, im rooming with an upperclassmen (ms3). Anyon else in the same boat, im wondering if this is common.

oh gosh... i hope not... it'll be so weird.... (sorry to say).... and i only signed up for one roommate...i hope i get an ms1

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! one of my close friends is an MSIV at AECOM and she says its really common to be assigned to live with people of different years........! but hey a plus is that you probably dont have to bring any common area furniture.

Yoz - I'm rooming with a MSIII as well. However, I asked for an older roommate since I'm 25 and would prefer to live with someone around my age. So I'm not surprised I was assigned to an upperclassman. Also, I met a few of our classmates last weekend and the two that had housing assignments were also living with upperclassmen.

There are a lot of benefits to living with someone who isn't a MSI. First, your roommate will be able to offer you insight and perspective on the first two years of medical school. He/she can help you adjust to the transition from undergrad to med school (a huge one, no matter how much you think you know about the process), help you with study methods, give you advice about classes or which books to buy and in general, provide an element of experience to a process into which you are otherwise flying blindly.

Second, you probably won't be stressing out around the same time because you'll have different test schedules. If you live with someone with which you're also attending lectures, small groups and labs, then you're also taking tests with him/her. It might be nice to come home to someone who can balance your stress level rather than exacerbate it.

If you're worried about missing time to bond or study with fellow first years, then just walk down the hall or go next door. The beauty (or curse, depending on one's temperament) of having on-campus housing is that everyone is nearby. It's like living in a college dorm all over again except now you have a room to yourself and can drink legally :)

Third - Having a MSIII as a roommate is the closest thing to having a single, since they'll be splitting most of their time three ways: clinicals, studying for shelves and sleep.

So, no worries. If anything, having a upperclassman roommate in an on-campus communal living situation is the best of all worlds.

hey waiting list here...just called the office and they said the class is full and has been filled for a few weeks thats interesting considering they told me a week ago that there was plenty of room left...

Wow...just wow. Yeah I called a week ago as well and was told the class was definitely not full. I really have no idea what is with this school, I can't even try to make sense of it anymore.

Wow...just wow. Yeah I called a week ago as well and was told the class was definitely not full. I really have no idea what is with this school, I can't even try to make sense of it anymore.
i hear you...this might sound like a wild theory coming from someone who just wants to believe that its true...but i feel like the receptionists are using that story to ward off all the waitlisters continuous calling

hi everyone! i have a question... i guess more for pepo who are already med students... but are 1 bedrooms really 1 bedroom? bc i received an e-mail earlier from someone who called the office and said 1bedrooms are actually 2 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms are actually 3 bedrooms. cuz it seems kinda unfair if one person HAS to sleep in the living room while another sleeps in the room. and anyone surprised that they increased the price from the pamphlet that was sent in 2010-2011? i mean, i know it's not alot.. but still....

Anyone know how large the bedrooms are approx? Comfortably fit a Full size bed + room for desk and book shelves?

So I'm taking the biochem course and just got a letter confirming that but also mentioning around 5 textbooks to buy. I keep hearing that it's not so necessary to buy all the books for MSI, that only a few are crucial apart from the notes provided by school, does anyone know about this in more detail? No point buying $$$ books that won't be super necessary! Thanks.

hi everyone! i have a question... i guess more for pepo who are already med students... but are 1 bedrooms really 1 bedroom? bc i received an e-mail earlier from someone who called the office and said 1bedrooms are actually 2 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms are actually 3 bedrooms. cuz it seems kinda unfair if one person HAS to sleep in the living room while another sleeps in the room. and anyone surprised that they increased the price from the pamphlet that was sent in 2010-2011? i mean, i know it's not alot.. but still....

An AECOM 1br really has 2 bedrooms and no living room space. 2br really have 3 bedrooms and a living room. No one sleeps in the living room, they put up a collapsable wall to make another room.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm taking the biochem course and just got a letter confirming that but also mentioning around 5 textbooks to buy. I keep hearing that it's not so necessary to buy all the books for MSI, that only a few are crucial apart from the notes provided by school, does anyone know about this in more detail? No point buying $$$ books that won't be super necessary! Thanks.
I was talking to a rising MS2 few days ago and he told me not to buy any of the books. He mentioned that the course notes provided are sufficient. So I would not buy any books at this point. Why spend $$$ on books that will most likely end up collecting dust on a shelf.

An AECOM 1br really has 2 bedrooms and no living room space. 2br really have 3 bedrooms and a living room. No one sleeps in the living room, they put up a collapsable wall to make another room.

if that's the case, isn't it better to get a 2 bedroom... i mean... aside from the fact that 3 pepo have to share a bathroom..my reasoning is that each person gets a bedroom and then they also have a common area, whereas in the 1 bedroom you only get ur own bedroom... and its pricier for a 1 bedroom

i'm a student at einstein and i know there can be some last minute movement with the waitlist here...even up until the week before classes start (happened to at least one student in my class). not trying to give false hope, but weird things can happen. if anyone has any questions about the school feel free to ask.

I was talking to a rising MS2 few days ago and he told me not to buy any of the books. He mentioned that the course notes provided are sufficient. So I would not buy any books at this point. Why spend $$$ on books that will most likely end up collecting dust on a shelf.

This is true. Wait until you get to campus to buy most of the books. You REALLY do not need any for the early biochem course. I'd recommend buying the Ross histology book. But there will be many second, third, and fourth years selling used copies for $10 once the new class is all here. There will likely be a big book sale down in front of the dorms like there was last year. I bought 5-7 of the first year books and barely used any of them. Ross was handy, the anatomy texts were handy (Netter, Baby Moore, Gilroy, Embryo - Before We Are Born), and that's about it. I found the lecture notes to be sufficient for most classes and someone else will have a book you can borrow for the few times you might want to clarify concepts. I understand some people are different and like texts...if that's you then by all means buy them. Just know it is possible to do well without some of them.

Anyone know how large the bedrooms are approx? Comfortably fit a Full size bed + room for desk and book shelves?

The rooms are plenty big. I have a desk, a couple floor lamps, a book shelf, dresser, and bed and there is still PLENTY of room. The housing here is hard to beat for the price, except for the old windows that are dirty and hard to open haha.

I live in a two bedroom (so really a 3 bedroom plus living room). Basically the way these apartments were built they had MASSIVE living rooms, so they sectioned off half of that to make another room and still have a comfortable living room. It works out very nicely. I live in the converted bedroom and both my room and the remaining living room area are totally sufficient in size for anything you should need them for. The wall they built for me is not collapsable...it is a permanent wall from which you can hang pictures or whatever. It is certainly sturdy. Noise travels through them a little bit but talk that over with your roommates and it should be fine. The closets for the converted rooms are located in the entryway of the apartment which is a little unusual but I don't mind it one bit. I am very happy with the setup of my apartment.

I also think living with upperclassmen is a great way to go as well. You'll probably get access to whatever books they have, advice about classes, etc. Plus you might end up making more friends because you'll know all of your class plus some friends of your roommate as well. And as someone already mentioned it is nice to be on a different schedule so you aren't stressing out at the same time.

i'm a student at einstein and i know there can be some last minute movement with the waitlist here...even up until the week before classes start (happened to at least one student in my class). not trying to give false hope, but weird things can happen. if anyone has any questions about the school feel free to ask.

do you know how many people they took from the waitlist last year? it appears that this year they didn't look at the waitlist.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know the answer to that question, sorry. I remember hearing something about a questionnaire that was sent out that basically wanted to gauge students' interest in the school, which I guess helped the school determine whose applications to hang on to or admit? Not really sure. During my interview tour they said they usually admit 300-400 people in order to fill the class. It's different every year though, from what I understand.

hey all,

just called admissions....lady said that they sent out some waitlist rejections via snail mail recently-

no word on people being accepted, though. I guess that means for the next week or so, no news is good news.

did anyone receive the snail mail letter yet. are the letters going out only rejections or also to let applicants know if still on the wait list?

did anyone receive the snail mail letter yet. are the letters going out only rejections or also to let applicants know if still on the wait list?

Got the letter today. Was waitlisted in March(?)

Dear Brainologist:
This letter comes to let you know that the incoming class at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine is now full.

We are sorry that, ultimately, we did not have a place to offer you. We were very impressed with blah blah blah blah.

Dated July 19,2010.

booooooooo :(

Got the letter today. Was waitlisted in March(?)

Dear Brainologist:
This letter comes to let you know that the incoming class at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine is now full.

We are sorry that, ultimately, we did not have a place to offer you. We were very impressed with blah blah blah blah.

Dated July 19,2010.

booooooooo :(

uhhh, i'll prob be getting mine within the next day or two as well :/

Is there anyone else out there who hasn't received a housing assignment yet?

I haven't received a housing assignment yet either. I was accepted third week of June and I'm not taking the biochem course. I called housing yesterday and they told me to call back in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.