2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pandamd there are two hotels within a mile of the school and are relatively cheap...When I came up for the interview I stayed at the Comfort Inn and here is the link

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-hawthorne-new_york-NY618?promo=gglocal

Thank you! This will be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

But I am confused about the clinical rotations - the caliber of these experiences - and the locations, some in Connecticut.

The academic medical centers of NYMC are Westchester Medical Center and St. Vincent's (in NYC). Most clinical rotations, staff, residency programs etc come from those two hospitals. Both are level 1 trauma centers. Westchester Medical Center has a brand new children's hospital and a burn center.

Metropolitan hospital (NYC) and Danbury Hospital (Connecticut) are university hospitals of NYMC. Danbury is also affiliated with UConn and Yale, and I believe they provide free housing. Not bad, eh?

The full list of affiliates is here:

http://nymc.edu/AboutNYMC/AffiliatedHospitalsAndOrganizations/index.html

I'm surprised more of you don't read the "about NYMC" section of the website. You are, after all, applying to this school.

To the people interviewing tomorrow (Monday November 2nd), does anyone want to split a cab back to JFK after the tour? I have a flight at 5:30 to make and cant take public transport
pm if you're interested!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
The academic medical centers of NYMC are Westchester Medical Center and St. Vincent's (in NYC). Most clinical rotations, staff, residency programs etc come from those two hospitals. Both are level 1 trauma centers. Westchester Medical Center has a brand new children's hospital and a burn center.

Metropolitan hospital (NYC) and Danbury Hospital (Connecticut) are university hospitals of NYMC. Danbury is also affiliated with UConn and Yale, and I believe they provide free housing. Not bad, eh?

The full list of affiliates is here:

http://nymc.edu/AboutNYMC/AffiliatedHospitalsAndOrganizations/index.html

I'm surprised more of you don't read the "about NYMC" section of the website. You are, after all, applying to this school.

No part of the freaking ridiculously long interview day and info sessions covers any of this, and there is really no time or place to ask questions during the day. If you are a student there, you might tell 'em to make the day more informative and less of a time sink...

Too much trouble to figure it all out as far as I am concerned...their loss, not mine.

No part of the freaking ridiculously long interview day and info sessions covers any of this, and there is really no time or place to ask questions during the day. If you are a student there, you might tell 'em to make the day more informative and less of a time sink...

Too much trouble to figure it all out as far as I am concerned...their loss, not mine.

I agree that really the only people you can ask questions are: an administrator from the office of admissions (not a dean of the medical school or anything), a current student (who can really only speak from their own experience), a financial aid officer, and the student who gives the tour. So there's no one who can really answer the "bigger" questions about the school, in my opinion. And my only interviewer was also a student. Most other schools I have interviewed at have at least couple deans and/or professors who address interviewees about the overall curriculum and educational resources and answer questions as well as make 5-10 current students available throughout the day. We didn't meet anyone who would actually be a professor or anything that we might have in the future. I will say that NYMC's financial aid talk was better than a bunch of the other schools' that I have been to, though.

Talking with students is good and very necessary, but they don't have the perspective of someone who really knows the school and larger institution as well overall. Basically, if a student hasn't personally done or looked into something that you're interested in, they really don't have any information. So I would agree that it's harder to get comprehensive information at the NYMC interview, though I didn't find this to be a huge problem overall.

I agree that really the only people you can ask questions are: an administrator from the office of admissions (not a dean of the medical school or anything), a current student (who can really only speak from their own experience), a financial aid officer, and the student who gives the tour. So there's no one who can really answer the "bigger" questions about the school, in my opinion. And my only interviewer was also a student. Most other schools I have interviewed at have at least couple deans and/or professors who address interviewees about the overall curriculum and educational resources and answer questions as well as make 5-10 current students available throughout the day. We didn't meet anyone who would actually be a professor or anything that we might have in the future. I will say that NYMC's financial aid talk was better than a bunch of the other schools' that I have been to, though.

Talking with students is good and very necessary, but they don't have the perspective of someone who really knows the school and larger institution as well overall. Basically, if a student hasn't personally done or looked into something that you're interested in, they really don't have any information. So I would agree that it's harder to get comprehensive information at the NYMC interview, though I didn't find this to be a huge problem overall.

No, not a huge problem, but IMO a really wasted day in Valhalla for my 20 minute interview with a distracted physician.

I have been to 6 interviews, and I learned less about the school at NYMC than at any of the others. As a direct result, I came away from that day with the least favorable impression of any school I have interviewed at, too.

No, not a huge problem, but IMO a really wasted day in Valhalla for my 20 minute interview with a distracted physician.

I have been to 6 interviews, and I learned less about the school at NYMC than at any of the others. As a direct result, I came away from that day with the least favorable impression of any school I have interviewed at, too.

Same here. I wonder why they don't improve on this, because it gives the impression that they kind of don't care sometimes. If a school truly values its students, I feel like it must by definition also value its applicants and their impression of the school. If you treat your applicants like a burden, what is that saying about how you view your students??

Same here. I wonder why they don't improve on this, because it gives the impression that they kind of don't care sometimes. If a school truly values its students, I feel like it must by definition also value its applicants and their impression of the school. If you treat your applicants like a burden, what is that saying about how you view your students??

Hmm... I've heard some complaints about that from several other applicants who interviewed there. The faculty aren't too friendly, I've heard. But maybe it's because they have thousands of applicants to go through and most list this school as a safety school. Perhaps that's why they're a bit cold.

Well, with my 30Q, this can't be my safety school. I'll be glad to have any med school interview and accept me. And besides, although it's located next to a prison, it's relatively safe.

AND STILL NO INTERVIEW/REJECTION-BEFORE-INTERVIEW. Still those clusters of words. How much longer do I have to wait?

*Taps foot incessantly*

Hmm... I've heard some complaints about that from several other applicants who interviewed there. The faculty aren't too friendly, I've heard. But maybe it's because they have thousands of applicants to go through and most list this school as a safety school. Perhaps that's why they're a bit cold.

Well, with my 30Q, this can't be my safety school. I'll be glad to have any med school interview and accept me. And besides, although it's located next to a prison, it's relatively safe.

AND STILL NO INTERVIEW/REJECTION-BEFORE-INTERVIEW. Still those clusters of words. How much longer do I have to wait?

*Taps foot incessantly*

Same here brother. 29Q/ 3.82 GPA/ Good EC. Don't think I'm getting in but thought it might be good to apply. I'm OOS also

I wonder why they don't improve on this, because it gives the impression that they kind of don't care sometimes.

I think it has something to do with their own perception of their standing on the med school food chain, especially for the NYC area schools - they are low man on the totem pole, and they know that, for lack of a better term, many applicants view NYMC as a "safety." And I think they view it that way, too.

I don't know how many people they interview each cycle, but it was a real cattle call on the day I was there. They clearly have to go through more applicants and interviewees to fill their class than most schools...and I think they know that no matter how crappy the interview day, they will fill their class with people who have nowhere else to go...

I sent them an e-mail last week stating that I was canceling my interview and withdrawing my application but I got no response/acknowledgement. Is this pretty typical of nymc?

I sent them an e-mail last week stating that I was canceling my interview and withdrawing my application but I got no response/acknowledgement. Is this pretty typical of nymc?
Same here. If they don't get back to me by the end of the week I'll call the admissions office to let them know.

Same here. If they don't get back to me by the end of the week I'll call the admissions office to let them know.

An email should suffice. Back in September, I sent them an email regarding rescheduling my interview, despite the fact they said in a prior email to only call about such things, and they responded with an email to that within the hour, so I think you can rest assured they got your email - they just don't plan on writing you back.

Call at your own peril - not exactly the most helpful or friendly phone people in the world up there...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it has something to do with their own perception of their standing on the med school food chain, especially for the NYC area schools - they are low man on the totem pole, and they know that, for lack of a better term, many applicants view NYMC as a "safety." And I think they view it that way, too.

I don't know how many people they interview each cycle, but it was a real cattle call on the day I was there. They clearly have to go through more applicants and interviewees to fill their class than most schools...and I think they know that no matter how crappy the interview day, they will fill their class with people who have nowhere else to go...

I think you're correct in how they view themselves. Which, in my opinion, is the problem. It's like the guy at the bar with no self-confidence, you no he ain't gettting the girl. If they don't want to be a safety school they need to make changes starting with the interview day.

To make up prestige will take a long time but an inviting and informative interview day and a more friendly admissions office could work wonders to improve their standing. Because honestly, beyond the top fifty prestige means bubkus; so ones decisions is based up their style of cirriculum, location, cost, and whether the school felt warm and inviting.

I think you're correct in how they view themselves. Which, in my opinion, is the problem. It's like the guy at the bar with no self-confidence, you no he ain't gettting the girl. If they don't want to be a safety school they need to make changes starting with the interview day.

To make up prestige will take a long time but an inviting and informative interview day and a more friendly admissions office could work wonders to improve their standing. Because honestly, beyond the top fifty prestige means bubkus; so ones decisions is based up their style of cirriculum, location, cost, and whether the school felt warm and inviting.

Yeah, I was just going to write something to this effect. Regardless of how they think applicants view them, if they reinforce the image that they're a safety school, their image will never change. Maybe they're satisfied with their position though, who knows.

There is not a prestige problem with NYMC. Where the students come from and where they go is available for all to see. You can go anywhere from here. Hospital affiliations? Excellent. Westchester Medical Center is one badass hospital, not to mention all the other affiliates. The faculty has been around FOREVER and they do care a lot about the place. If you want to learn more about the school, the website is greatly improved and has tons of info. Show a little self-motivation, eh?

I will agree that the school has a public relations problem on anonymous internet forums. Scary, I know.

Self-confidence problem? I think you have the situation reversed. New York Medical College doesn't need you. There are tons of qualified applicants, many of whom will come up COMPLETELY empty-handed at the end of the med school admissions cycle. Those of you whining about the lunch or some other BS - consider what you're life is going to be like as a third year on the wards. Maybe they're screening out the whiners.

The complaints I read about on SDN are generally childish, ill-informed, and sometimes downright untrue. Especially when it comes to the cohesiveness of the student body. Those of us who are REAL med students are a little too busy to answer it.

I'm a NYMC med student, I know a lot of happy NYMC medical students, and I like the damn place even though it isn't perfect. Be careful when talking trash about this school. It has one of the largest alumni bases of any med school, not to mention they run the second largest residency consortium in the country. The tentacles of NYMC aren't always obvious (or flush with cash) but they are very long.

Last edited:
There is not a prestige problem with NYMC. Where the students come from and where they go is available for all to see. You can go anywhere from here. Hospital affiliations? Excellent. Westchester Medical Center is one badass hospital, not to mention all the other affiliates. The faculty has been around FOREVER and they do care a lot about the place. If you want to learn more about the school, the website is greatly improved and has tons of info. Show a little self-motivation, eh?

I will agree that the school has a public relations problem on anonymous internet forums. Scary, I know.

Self-confidence problem? I think you have the situation reversed. New York Medical College doesn't need you. There are tons of qualified applicants, many of whom will come up COMPLETELY empty-handed at the end of the med school admissions cycle. Those of you whining about the lunch or some other BS - consider what you're life is going to be like as a third year on the wards. Maybe they're screening out the whiners.

The complaints I read about on SDN are generally childish, ill-informed, and sometimes downright untrue. Especially when it comes to the cohesiveness of the student body. Those of us who are REAL med students are a little too busy to answer it.

I'm a NYMC med student, I know a lot of happy NYMC medical students, and I like the damn place even though it isn't perfect. Be careful when talking trash about this school. It has one of the largest alumni bases of any med school, not to mention they run the second largest residency consortium in the country. The tentacles of NYMC aren't always obvious (or flush with cash) but they are very long.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

this is so awesome

gplex, you are great man. This is so true. I am not going to/nor did I apply to NYMC (I am going to MCG) but... this is really an applicable statement about a lot of schools. A lot of people on this site view a lot of schools as "safety's", and that is a load of BS. NYMC has a great rep and I know that from all the way down south!!

You obviously have a bias as you go here. The above statement is true of every school. Yet others have made for far more impressive interview days. I could care less about the lunch, I wanted to learn something about the school while I was there which I didn't. The website is great and I had read the great majority of it before I applied and just before my interview. When they tell you during the interview to withdraw if you get into a school you prefer over them, it doesn't exactly scream self-confidence.

I left the interview kinda excited about the school but the more I thought about it the more of a bad taste it left in my mouth. All I can say to those applying is to go see for yourself. If you feel comfortable there great. I did not.

my app is under review since 09/24 - soo tired of waiting :(:scared:

did anyone get rejected from this school yet?

You obviously have a bias as you go here. The above statement is true of every school. Yet others have made for far more impressive interview days. I could care less about the lunch, I wanted to learn something about the school while I was there which I didn't. The website is great and I had read the great majority of it before I applied and just before my interview. When they tell you during the interview to withdraw if you get into a school you prefer over them, it doesn't exactly scream self-confidence.

I left the interview kinda excited about the school but the more I thought about it the more of a bad taste it left in my mouth. All I can say to those applying is to go see for yourself. If you feel comfortable there great. I did not.

Agreed. Everyone is entitled to their own impression, and anyone who takes our anecdotal evidence as fact is a fool. Also, just because NYMC doesn't need any one applicant (no school does) doesn't mean they have to act like it.

*Taps foot incessantly*

doesn't that mean you've been rejected?

i was just joking about the food, but I think its great you're defending your institution and I'm glad you're happy there.

gplex, nice mdapps and story!
would love to read your PS.

And like the majority of your classmates, NYMC was the only school (MD) you got accepted at...

Just curious: does NYMC provide you with the massive chip on your shoulder, or did you arrive on campus with it? From my interview day, I sensed this very attitude, along with an overall dreariness, from the current students there that I did not find at any other school. Call it "vibe" or whatever, it is real, and from this thread it is evident I am not the only interviewee who came away with this picture of the students at NYMC.

And like the majority of your classmates, NYMC was the only school (MD) you got accepted at...

Just curious: does NYMC provide you with the massive chip on your shoulder, or did you arrive on campus with it? From my interview day, I sensed this very attitude, along with an overall dreariness, from the current students there that I did not find at any other school. Call it "vibe" or whatever, it is real, and from this thread it is evident I am not the only interviewee who came away with this picture of the students at NYMC.

Dude, we get it, you didn't enjoy your stay at NYMC, now gtfo of this thread. Honestly, just because you got accepted to another school doesn't mean you get to step on every other school you think "inferior". People go where they go for many reasons. And just so you know, the dean at one of the "better" medical schools told us during a conference that every year, some of their best students were the ones that barely made it in.

Dude, we get it, you didn't enjoy your stay at NYMC, now gtfo of this thread. Honestly, just because you got accepted to another school doesn't mean you get to step on every other school you think "inferior". People go where they go for many reasons. And just so you know, the dean at one of the "better" medical schools told us during a conference that every year, some of their best students were the ones that barely made it in.

You gonna write a post to everyone on this thread who has criticized something about NYMC?

Cuz if you are, your hands are gonna get tired...

People share their impressions of schools on these threads. It isn't all "wonderful" stuff...form your own opinion and don't worry about what other people say here or on other school threads. NYMC will have no problems filling their class.

You gonna write a post to everyone on this thread who has criticized something about NYMC?

Cuz if you are, your hands are gonna get tired...

People share their impressions of schools on these threads. It isn't all "wonderful" stuff...form your own opinion and don't worry about what other people say here or on other school threads. NYMC will have no problems filling their class.

i think flip basically just wants people to withdraw from NYMC.
so that he can go to NYMC

haha good point, i think you're right!

on a more constructive note, does any current student know anyone who has done MD/PhD here? I know it's not MSTP and you apply after you've already enrolled in the MD program, so I was wondering how many students do this and if what their experience has been. As related to my comments above, the 2 or so students who I was allowed to talk to when I interviewed did not have any knowledge of this program, so I'm just curious.

Thanks

Rats! You figured me out.

If NYMC was my only prospect, I would gladly attend.

Flip your posts are no longer helpful to your fellow applicants...I am pretty sure they understand your experience at NYMC wasn't pleasant...get over it, you got into another school and leave it at that, stop sounding bitter that your experience here wasn't better...maybe you had expectations that were too high? On another note, stop commenting on the student body when it is obvious that somebody who actually ATTENDS the school has a much better understanding of the student body, not somebody who was there for 6 hrs on an interview day. I have heard that something like 25% of the class was accepted at other schools, which to the best of my knowledge is not too far away from percentages at other similar schools...If it were such a big deal that the majority of the students weren't accepted to other schools how do you explain a Step1 avg higher than the national avg and a pretty stellar match list to boot?

ps...the other applicants who noticed the same "vibe" you noticed said it once and left it at that...you don't have to respond to a positive post with a negative one

Flip your posts are no longer helpful to your fellow applicants...I am pretty sure they understand your experience at NYMC wasn't pleasant...get over it, you got into another school and leave it at that, stop sounding bitter that your experience here wasn't better...maybe you had expectations that were too high? On another note, stop commenting on the student body when it is obvious that somebody who actually ATTENDS the school has a much better understanding of the student body, not somebody who was there for 6 hrs on an interview day. I have heard that something like 25% of the class was accepted at other schools, which to the best of my knowledge is not too far away from percentages at other similar schools...If it were such a big deal that the majority of the students weren't accepted to other schools how do you explain a Step1 avg higher than the national avg and a pretty stellar match list to boot?

ps...the other applicants who noticed the same "vibe" you noticed said it once and left it at that...you don't have to respond to a positive post with a negative one

Suggestion: let others decide for themselves what is a useful post.

Dear Flip26,

Your posts add neither credit towards your experiences at NYMC nor to the validity of your opinions on SDN. It's really too bad you didn't walk away with a better impression of the school, but then again, I don't think NYMC would benefit from a student who cannot manage the least amount of civility on a public message board. Don't be bitter and don't be antagonistic -- those qualities will not help you in your medical future. Congratulations on getting into other schools though. I really do hope they work out for you.

MSI at NYMC (who, before you decide to blast me like you did gplex, did get multiple acceptances to top-tier MD schools)

PS: To those actually concerned about NYMC and a student's perspective, please feel free to PM me. I'm more than happy to help.

Because for some reason (it may be because the administration is doing a poor job at getting applicants to want this school) applicants come to NYMC and get an overall bad impression, but more often than not, they have failed to actually speak to current students outside of their tour guides (if they even do that), because if they did they would find out that the rumors perpetuated on SDN about the inferiority of this school, the arrogance of the student body, lack of helpfulness of the faculty, and bad clinical rotations are outright false...advice? Make sure when you are at NYMC you speak to a student other than your tour guide and don't take the negativity spread on here as truth and let it sway your opinion of the school...find out for yourself

Because for some reason (it may be because the administration is doing a poor job at getting applicants to want this school) applicants come to NYMC and get an overall bad impression, but more often than not, they have failed to actually speak to current students outside of their tour guides (if they even do that), because if they did they would find out that the rumors perpetuated on SDN about the inferiority of this school, the arrogance of the student body, lack of helpfulness of the faculty, and bad clinical rotations are outright false...advice? Make sure when you are at NYMC you speak to a student other than your tour guide and don't take the negativity spread on here as truth and let it sway your opinion of the school...find out for yourself

Totally agree, and I am glad that you are on here advocating for the school, because if not for you and the other students who have posted on here, I would not know how students at NYMC feel about the place.

I think really what the criticism boils down to is that the interview day could have been much more effective than it was. I really really wish the admissions office had made more students available to us as well as an upper-level administrator of some sort (you suggest talking to students outside of the tour guide, but it's hard when they're all in class at the same time which is when we were given time to walk around, and they're at lunch when we're at lunch with our tour guide, not to mention it's also awkward to walk up to a random student and say "what do you think of this school?" Applicants shouldn't have to beg for information). I talked to my tour guide a great deal, and she seemed really nice. Excited about the school and her education? Not really, but she seemed content enough. One of the other interviewees' hosts told him that they really didn't want to be at NYMC. When those are the only people you get to interact with, it's hard to form any other opinion. There are disgruntled students at EVERY school, but the admissions office can counteract interactions with those few students by encouraging more current students to come by the office and speak with interviewees. The admissions office is not far from the educational building, it's very doable; most of the other schools I have interviewed at seem to encourage this type of interaction greatly, and it can generate a very positive impression in the applicants.

When the school fails to do things like this, it appears to interviewees as a lack of effort or of caring for applicants. Yes, it's true that NYMC doesn't "need" any particular applicant, but most schools really want the best group they can get, not leftovers to fill up spots. When a school doesn't care, I start to wonder who my classmates will be and if the school will care when I'm a student. I just wish NYMC had made the relative importance of students at the overall institution more clear to me, it would have helped.

Sorry for this rambling post...

MSI at NYMC (who, before you decide to blast me like you did gplex, did get multiple acceptances to top-tier MD schools)

PS: To those actually concerned about NYMC and a student's perspective, please feel free to PM me. I'm more than happy to help.

Hey glad to hear you are having a good experience at NYMC. I am interviewing there in December and am curious as to what made you pick NYMC over other schools (I'm absolutely not trying to bash the school - I am honestly curious, although I understand with the tone of this thread as of late it might not be clear...). Thanks! :D

Thank you for contributing POSITIVELY Aycaramba...

You are right about the fact that its up to the admissions office to make the interview day more informative and I can tell you that they just sent out an email asking for suggestions for a better brochure outlining some important facts about the school (which clearly they are aware they're lacking) and they will be having a focus session in the next couple weeks...so they ARE trying.

Hey hey,
Does anyone know what the chances of getting in are, once you have an interview? I am so excited to interview! I love the cold and visiting new places is always fun. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.