2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I also heard him saying that, but he said to call him if I don't receive my decision by December 15th. I felt I am being left out from their computer system. First, they have to call me in order to schedule an interview, because, according to them, there was something wrong with their computer system. Anyone here who interviewed in September and still hasn't gotten decision in any form?

I interviewed September 23rd, and as you may have guessed by my earlier questions, have not heard anything yet. No thin letter, no emails, no online status change. There are two more mondays before the 15th. Although, if they stick to the pattern, and next monday people interviewed in mid-october are getting accepted, I'm going to call. If anyone has been rejected and is still reading this thread, does your online status give a date the letter was mailed?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed September 23rd, and as you may have guessed by my earlier questions, have not heard anything yet. No thin letter, no emails, no online status change. There are two more mondays before the 15th. Although, if they stick to the pattern, and next monday people interviewed in mid-october are getting accepted, I'm going to call. If anyone has been rejected and is still reading this thread, does your online status give a date the letter was mailed?

IMPORTANT:

There's a lot of variability in when decisions are handed down. That's because your interviewer has to be available to present your case to the admissions committee. It is not on a regular schedule!

IMPORTANT:

There's a lot of variability in when decisions are handed down. That's because your interviewer has to be available to present your case to the admissions committee. It is not on a regular schedule!

Ahh, thank you very much. That lessens my anxiety.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I also heard him saying that, but he said to call him if I don't receive my decision by December 15th. I felt I am being left out from their computer system. First, they have to call me in order to schedule an interview, because, according to them, there was something wrong with their computer system. Anyone here who interviewed in September and still hasn't gotten decision in any form?

I thought he said to call if you hadn't received your decision after a while if your status had already changed to decision sent...maybe we also said just if you hadn't gotten a decision too, but just my 2 cents from my interview day.

I thought he said to call if you hadn't received your decision after a while if your status had already changed to decision sent...maybe we also said just if you hadn't gotten a decision too, but just my 2 cents from my interview day.

Yeah, my status page still does not say anything about decision sent. At this point, I am just hoping that they forgot to include me in the initial acceptance emails. Hopefully, I won't hear anything until Dec 15th (Because snail mail usually means rejection or waitlist) so I will call the guy to ask him about it.

Hello all,
I'm wondering how long from completion it takes to hear about an interview. My application was complete on Aug. 11th, and I have yet to hear from them. Should I be worried?

Hello all,
I'm wondering how long from completion it takes to hear about an interview. My application was complete on Aug. 11th, and I have yet to hear from them. Should I be worried?

I think it depends. I was complete on August 25th and got my invite on November 17th. There were others who got invites within two to three weeks of completion of their secondary.

waitlisted. :( my parents received the letter via snail mail. Interviewed mid Oct. gah, I really want to get into this school. I know there is alot of waitlist movement come spring. This is going to really test my patience. Although I'm glad it wasn't a rejection. I still have hope!!!:xf:

anyone else in the same situation?

waitlisted. :( my parents received the letter via snail mail. Interviewed mid Oct. gah, I really want to get into this school. I know there is alot of waitlist movement come spring. This is going to really test my patience. Although I'm glad it wasn't a rejection. I still have hope!!!:xf:

anyone else in the same situation?

meeee.....waitlisted as well today via snail mail

i was told that they mailed out the decision letters via snail mail, and then changed the status online like 5 days later so they don't get bombarded with phone calls

10/22 interview, waitlisted via snail mail, withdrawing my app from the waitlist this week

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite! Complete 09/22. Its about time! yeaaaayyyy

For those who are on the waitlist, I will be turning down my acceptance to this school tomorrow, so hopefully one of you will be able to get my spot! Good luck!

Congratulations on your interview invites!!!! How did you find out - email / status page??

Interview invite! (First allopathic invite - finally!)
Complete 9/24

Anyone who interviewed in the second half of October heard anything yet?

my invite was via e-mail then when I checked my status there was a spot to schedule an interview

Just a heads up for everyone applying:

I completed my app Oct 12 and got an email today saying that my application still was not complete. I called and it turned out that while I paid by credit card, and the charge was shown on my credit card statement that month, their system still had me marked as unpaid. They had me pay again and said they would send me a check for the second $100.

The man on the phone was nice enough to expedite my application so that the delay wouldn't hurt my chances too much. But the point is just double check to make sure your app is marked complete under status (they say it takes 2-4 weeks for processing) and follow up if it isn't.

Now all I have to do is pray that I make the cut for interviews, haha. Being this late I am quite worried my chances are pretty much dead and buried.

Last edited:
To those who have already interviewed here.

What are your thoughts on this school? I got an interview invite but I have already been accepted to one of my top choice in state(florida). I dont know if I am willing to spend the money to go on this interview unless it is really worth it. So I want some opinions on what you guys think about this school.

Thanks!

I've been there and since it's right near my house, it's also my top choice. I would advise going there just on the basis on the travel costs and the total tuition you'll have to pay especially if you're paying state tuition for Florida.

Hey thompa, have you heard anything yet? I certainly haven't, if I don't hear anything by Thursday, I will give them a call. I can't wait until December 15th.

What's on Dec 15th?

On my interview day (sept 21st), there was this associate dean of admissions who told us that if we don't hear anything by December 15th, just give him a call. Unfortunately for me, I didn't received the email acceptances (on November 23?) nor the December 1st rejection/waitlist snail mails for September interviewees .

Hey thompa, have you heard anything yet? I certainly haven't, if I don't hear anything by Thursday, I will give them a call. I can't wait until December 15th.

Great minds think alike. I found myself today wondering the same thing about you bowlin. And unfortunately no, still just ringing silence from NYMC. I'm going to call wednesday or thursday as well. Good luck.

To those who have already interviewed here.

What are your thoughts on this school? I got an interview invite but I have already been accepted to one of my top choice in state(florida). I dont know if I am willing to spend the money to go on this interview unless it is really worth it. So I want some opinions on what you guys think about this school.

Thanks!

I'm a current student and I do like it here, even if Valhalla gets a little claustrophobic at times. It gets a bum rap from those still obsessed with USN&WR rankings, but they train great physicians who are typically very happy with their post-grad plans, even if we don't sport a nobel laureate on our faculty (we did, however, design that H1N1 vaccine strain you may have heard something about).

Mainly I wanted to pipe in and say if you have an in-state acceptance, you'd probably be crazy to go anywhere private unless you're looking at a full ride (which you won't get from NYMC). The differences in what you'll learn and experience in your four years in med school are minute compared to the difference you'll have in your debt.

Accepted for admission! :woot: yay!

Interviewed 10/13, took them long enough! Email notice + snail mail to permanent address.

Accepted here too! First one!!!! interview 2nd week of october! excited

Accepted for admission! :woot: yay!

Interviewed 10/13, took them long enough! Email notice + snail mail to permanent address.

hey pelu, did you receive your snail mail before your email?

Sent an in the area e-mail because of an Einstein interview. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do, especially since I was only complete 11/4, but the Einstein interview was unexpected and gave me a sudden boost of self-esteem. Hope!

accepted! but just got in USC yesterday so NY is a no go for me! goodluck everyone!:)

hey pelu, did you receive your snail mail before your email?

No, i just got the email this morning saying that the offer letter was mailed to my permanent address but it hasn't come yet. I'm expecting sometime either this week or the next.

I decided to not go on my interview I heard this was a bad school

I decided to not go on my interview I heard this was a bad school

Thank you so much for updating us. I would have been devastated if you had held back from posting this very useful comment.

Thank you so much for updating us. I would have been devastated if you had held back from posting this very useful comment.

Likewise! I would have been devastated if you didn't respond to my comment. Thank you! :)

I realized that I may have come off a little rude for my last comment about this school. What I meant to say is that I decided to not attend my interview because I see the school as a bad fit for me. I already got accepted to my instate school and I really don't want to go to another interview unless I really want to attend that school. I was hoping for someone who has interviewed here or an current medical student to give me some ideas on how this school is like. But from what I have read from these posts, there really isn't a reason for me to attend my interview so I will decline my invite so that hopefully someone else can take it.

Just realized that NYMC costs 2x as much as my current front-runner. Withdrawing after interview invite, Good luck all! :luck:

Likewise! I would have been devastated if you didn't respond to my comment. Thank you! :)
lol

I realized that I may have come off a little rude for my last comment about this school. What I meant to say is that I decided to not attend my interview because I see the school as a bad fit for me. I already got accepted to my instate school and I really don't want to go to another interview unless I really want to attend that school. I was hoping for someone who has interviewed here or an current medical student to give me some ideas on how this school is like. But from what I have read from these posts, there really isn't a reason for me to attend my interview so I will decline my invite so that hopefully someone else can take it.
To be honest, I don't blame you at all. I would do the same. Good luck to you.

any updates on the touro merger? I tried researching it but I can't find anything...

any updates on the touro merger? I tried researching it but I can't find anything...

Yea, I have the same question as well. I looked all over the place online and had difficulty finding any updates on the current status of the merger

has anyone started a facebook group for the class of 2014 yet?

No updates from administration on the Touro merger since september

No updates from administration on the Touro merger since september

Calling it a merger is misleading. Touro college is a pretty huge institution with over 20,000 students. They have a DO school, a law school, and they're starting an MD school in New Jersey. NYMC would become another graduate school affiliated with it were Touro to buy it.

Though I still wish they'd found a better buyer. Most of Touro's undergraduate body is online students. St. John's University would be a much better buyer.

hey so am i correct in assuming that people who have received decisions get a date next to "decision letter sent:"?

Calling it a merger is misleading. Touro college is a pretty huge institution with over 20,000 students. They have a DO school, a law school, and they're starting an MD school in New Jersey. NYMC would become another graduate school affiliated with it were Touro to buy it.

Though I still wish they'd found a better buyer. Most of Touro's undergraduate body is online students. St. John's University would be a much better buyer.

You are correct that it isn't technically a merger. It's a changing of "sponsorship" from the Archdioceses of New York (which technically owns NYMC as a nonprofit subsidiary) to Touro College (the overall University).

Your information is a bit outdated, though. Touro sold the online division a few years ago.

Also, Touro's MD school in New Jersey is on hold, pending negotiations with NYMC. If the deal goes through, then NYMC will gain Hackensack University Medical Center, which would have been the main hospital of Touro-NJ. Dr. Adler (NYMC's president) mentioned that there may eventually be a branch clinical campus of NYMC there, although by mileage it's no farther than Manhattan.

By the way, Touro College recently announced that they will be transitioning to a new president. He's a cardiologist on the faculty of Northwestern University, and a graduate of Einstein. I've attached the press release. Touro being led by a physician seems like a very positive step.

Attachments

• kadish_press_release(2).pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 213
Status
Not open for further replies.