2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds promising, I suppose people shouldn't immediately get a negative impression after hearing about the collaboration between Touro and NYMC. But, I can understand why there would be concern. Thanks for the clarification, hopefully it is all for the best.

Members don't see this ad.

do you guys know how and where to send thank you cards? the admissions office is apparently closed so i can't get the information. should i just address it to my interviewer and simply send it to the admission/administration office?

do you guys know how and where to send thank you cards? the admissions office is apparently closed so i can't get the information. should i just address it to my interviewer and simply send it to the admission/administration office?

yes, I just send it to the admissions office, altho now that I think about it, I think my interviewer's office was in the admissions building. If you have a name you can just look them up on google, usually it will have contact information for your interviewers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted here too! First one!!!! interview 2nd week of october! excited
For those of you got accepted on 12/8 by e-mail, have you recieved your snail mail acceptance yet? thanks :)

hey so am i correct in assuming that people who have received decisions get a date next to "decision letter sent:"?
I was accepted by email on 12/8 and I still don't have a date there.

For those of you got accepted on 12/8 by e-mail, have you recieved your snail mail acceptance yet? thanks :)
Nope, not yet.

Sent an in the area e-mail because of an Einstein interview. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do, especially since I was only complete 11/4, but the Einstein interview was unexpected and gave me a sudden boost of self-esteem. Hope!

To all have been saying that in the area e-mails aren't a good idea here, think again! Mine yielded an interview on March 11th, which is far away from my Einstein interview (January 15th), but an admissions officer named Kim told me to call again on December 23rd to see if there were any openings.

tl;dr - In the area e-mails are GOOD for NYMC.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering:

GPA: 3.54
sGPA: 3.62
MCAT: 30Q (10 10 10)

To all have been saying that in the area e-mails aren't a good idea here, think again! Mine yielded an interview on March 11th, which is far away from my Einstein interview (January 15th), but an admissions officer named Kim told me to call again on December 23rd to see if there were any openings.

tl;dr - In the area e-mails are GOOD for NYMC.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering:

GPA: 3.54
sGPA: 3.62
MCAT: 30Q (10 10 10)

Hmmm... I don't have any plans to be in the area right now, but have been thinkin about visiting my family in NYC/CONN in the next couple of months. Should I plan the trip and send an in the area?
3.76 sGPA3.54, 29M 12B 8V 9P....

Yeah, I got it yesterday. It was postmarked the 10th, so I think they were a little late getting it mailed.
Same. And there's still no date on my status page for when a decision letter was mailed, so it looks like they're not updating that, at least not in real time

Anyone writing update letters? If so, who are you sending it to? meaning...Dear ????? (Admissions Committee, Mr. Demaio, office of admissions, etc.)

Anyone writing update letters? If so, who are you sending it to? meaning...Dear ????? (Admissions Committee, Mr. Demaio, office of admissions, etc.)
Dear admin committee.

about the touro merger, when i interviewed there a few weeks back most of the students didnt care much about the merger. maybe thats a bad sign that they are apathetic, but i took it as it wasn't a big deal. they were still going to be MDs. the only thing that would change would be the owner....touro instead of the catholic church

about the touro merger, when i interviewed there a few weeks back most of the students didnt care much about the merger. maybe thats a bad sign that they are apathetic, but i took it as it wasn't a big deal. they were still going to be MDs. the only thing that would change would be the owner....touro instead of the catholic church

There was initial unease/shock when the story was leaked last year. The president/CEO of the College (Dr. Adler, wonderful guy) since held some forums with students, and sent out update emails. There are many concrete benefits to linking up with Touro - a lot more money, more resources, more dual degree programs, and at least one big new clinical site. The potential downsides are ambiguous by comparison and (in my opinion) superficial.

The bottom line is, things will probably get better, not worse in the long run. Short term - probably won't affect us. And we're too busy to care anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
got an interview and am now withdrawing, good luck to the rest of you .

Depending on who you speak to huge news here on NYMC campus...As of Dec. 16th NYMC has officially changed hands and within the next 6 months (mid 2010) Touro will assume control over NYMC. Good news if you ask me
here is the link:

http://www.cny.org/archive/ld/ld24121709.htm

Depending on who you speak to huge news here on NYMC campus...As of Dec. 16th NYMC has officially changed hands and within the next 6 months (mid 2010) Touro will assume control over NYMC. Good news if you ask me
here is the link:

http://www.cny.org/archive/ld/ld24121709.htm

Touro's upfront investment is $30 million. To put that into perspective, the ENTIRE medical education center at NYMC cost that much. Personally, I'd rather have a sponsor willing to invest in the school than one who would allow it to stagnate and sink into debt. I am admittedly an optimist - maybe naive - but I can't imagine Touro spending $60 million (total) just to burn the place down.

Interesting story: last week we were unofficially introduced to a new dean (not the MAIN dean, just A dean). He has been on the job for a few months, as another dean had left. His name is Dr. Wallach, and he was supposed to be the vice president/founding dean of Touro NJ. This, combined with the appointment of a physician as the new COO/soon to be president of Touro... I have a feeling this was part of the negotiations.

Again, maybe I'm naive, but I feel this may be a good deal. Touro gets to play in the big leagues (NYMC's reach goes way beyond training med students), the Archdiocese gets $30 million for its health programs, and NYMC gets a sponsoring institution with deep pockets. I think we're going to be just fine - but that's my opinion and not everyone shares it.

Touro's upfront investment is $30 million. To put that into perspective, the ENTIRE medical education center at NYMC cost that much. Personally, I'd rather have a sponsor willing to invest in the school than one who would allow it to stagnate and sink into debt. I am admittedly an optimist - maybe naive - but I can't imagine Touro spending $60 million (total) just to burn the place down.

Interesting story: last week we were unofficially introduced to a new dean (not the MAIN dean, just A dean). He has been on the job for a few months, as another dean had left. His name is Dr. Wallach, and he was supposed to be the vice president/founding dean of Touro NJ. This, combined with the appointment of a physician as the new COO/soon to be president of Touro... I have a feeling this was part of the negotiations.

Again, maybe I'm naive, but I feel this may be a good deal. Touro gets to play in the big leagues (NYMC's reach goes way beyond training med students), the Archdiocese gets $30 million for its health programs, and NYMC gets a sponsoring institution with deep pockets. I think we're going to be just fine - but that's my opinion and not everyone shares it.

I agree completely w/ the things you said gplex. Last year after getting accepted, I was pissed to hear about the merger. However, looking back I really don't know what I was pissed about. The school has been around for 150 years, yet if you ask someone on the street outside of valhalla if they have heard of NYMC, they will say no. I don't think the name is supposed to change, but if it does, who cares. There will be no loss or increase in the academic snobbery. Does anyone know who NYMC is? No. Does anyone know who Touro is? No.

The schools reputation is stagnant. The schools resources are stagnant. The schools facilities are stagnant. And as I said, right now we really don't have any reputation in academia. When I think of the merger, only one thing is important to me as a student: money. I would much rather merge w/ a partner that can provide a ton of new resources than merge w/ a partner that will only increase the academic snobbery by adding a public known name solely based on their undergrad institution (the possible St. Johns merger comes to mind).

As a student, I would much rather have an amazing gym, a top-notch anatomy lab (okay we already have this), great research opportunities, a library that isn't the size of my college dorm room, etc......All of these things are much more important to me than allowing my mom to wear a shirt that says Yale.

These things are only possible w/ money. Touro has money. Why are people mad?

I agree completely w/ the things you said gplex. Last year after getting accepted, I was pissed to hear about the merger. However, looking back I really don't know what I was pissed about. The school has been around for 150 years, yet if you ask someone on the street outside of valhalla if they have heard of NYMC, they will say no. I don't think the name is supposed to change, but if it does, who cares. There will be no loss or increase in the academic snobbery. Does anyone know who NYMC is? No. Does anyone know who Touro is? No.

The schools reputation is stagnant. The schools resources are stagnant. The schools facilities are stagnant. And as I said, right now we really don't have any reputation in academia. When I think of the merger, only one thing is important to me as a student: money. I would much rather merge w/ a partner that can provide a ton of new resources than merge w/ a partner that will only increase the academic snobbery by adding a public known name solely based on their undergrad institution (the possible St. Johns merger comes to mind).

As a student, I would much rather have an amazing gym, a top-notch anatomy lab (okay we already have this), great research opportunities, a library that isn't the size of my college dorm room, etc......All of these things are much more important to me than allowing my mom to wear a shirt that says Yale.

Good points.

I mostly agree with you - I don't think we're that obscure, though. Usually I just say, "It's at Westchester Medical Center" and most New Yorkers know about that.

As far as research, I think we have a good amount considering that's NYMC is pretty much just a med school. On an individual basis there are tons of projects for med students to get involved in. But our overall footprint is tiny compared to med schools that have a university backing them up.

It's been a real shame that NYMC bought that cancer center building on Dana road a few years ago - yet it sits empty because we lack to funds to build the labs. I bet that's where a chunk of Touro's 30 million is going. And wouldn't it be nice to get their nursing/PA/PharmD programs involved?

Hopefully things work out smoothly on the administrative side.

While extra resources are great, I'm definitely curious to see what Touro intends to do. No one puts millions into an institution without expecting something in return.

withdrew interview invite. good luck everyone!

Is anybody else still 'currently under review' since August? Also, does anybody know until what month they're scheduling interviews for now?

Is anybody else still 'currently under review' since August? Also, does anybody know until what month they're scheduling interviews for now?

I'm in the same boat. I really just want an answer one way or the other at this point.

same here, in review since 7/27...

What's the best way to get here?

JFK ---> Train Station ---> Train to Valhalla?

You can take the metro train from Grand Central to either Valhalla or White Plains. Then you can take a cab.

Valhalla Station is pretty rural, but a little closer. White Plains is a sizable hub in the middle of a sizeable city.

I took a train from Grand Central to White Plains. From there it was about a 5 min taxi ride from the station to the school. I've heard it is closer than Valhalla.

You are correct that it isn't technically a merger. It's a changing of "sponsorship" from the Archdioceses of New York (which technically owns NYMC as a nonprofit subsidiary) to Touro College (the overall University).

Your information is a bit outdated, though. Touro sold the online division a few years ago.

Also, Touro's MD school in New Jersey is on hold, pending negotiations with NYMC. If the deal goes through, then NYMC will gain Hackensack University Medical Center, which would have been the main hospital of Touro-NJ. Dr. Adler (NYMC's president) mentioned that there may eventually be a branch clinical campus of NYMC there, although by mileage it's no farther than Manhattan.

By the way, Touro College recently announced that they will be transitioning to a new president. He's a cardiologist on the faculty of Northwestern University, and a graduate of Einstein. I've attached the press release. Touro being led by a physician seems like a very positive step.

Just wanted to say that the information is helpful though I am still hoping for an interview from this school. As a random side note, I was very inspired by your mdapps story. It has given me much hope in this process as I sit tight for the next half a year on waitlists...thanks :)

Just wanted to say that the information is helpful though I am still hoping for an interview from this school. As a random side note, I was very inspired by your mdapps story. It has given me much hope in this process as I sit tight for the next half a year on waitlists...thanks :)

Thanks and best of luck with admissions. Work hard and anything's possible. I hope things go easier for you, though.

Btw, the deal was officially signed today. NYMC remains an independant institution with Touro appointing the board members. Same arrangement as we had with the Archdiases. I'll post the press release when I'm on a real computer.

Thanks and best of luck with admissions. Work hard and anything's possible. I hope things go easier for you, though.

Btw, the deal was officially signed today. NYMC remains an independant institution with Touro appointing the board members. Same arrangement as we had with the Archdiases. I'll post the press release when I'm on a real computer.

Thanks for keeping us posted on how everything goes with the deal. Very refreshing to have an actual NYMC student posting about it rather than just hearsay from pre-meds. Overall sounds like all the SKYISFALLING nonsense was bs as expected

Okay, here's the official press release:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sa_OQgWiPA[/YOUTUBE]

Actually, it went a little more like this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyx0K4WrElo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Okay, enough fun. The press release is attached.

Attachments

• NYMC Touro Final.pdf
    65 KB · Views: 272
"calls for maintaining NYMC as an independent institution while transferring the authority to appoint the NYMC Board of Trustees from the Archdiocese to a new entity organized by Touro."

talk about vague...so basically it is independent but it will also be governed by trustees that are controlled by Touro...sounds a little contradictory.

"calls for maintaining NYMC as an independent institution while transferring the authority to appoint the NYMC Board of Trustees from the Archdiocese to a new entity organized by Touro."

talk about vague...so basically it is independent but it will also be governed by trustees that are controlled by Touro...sounds a little contradictory.

I discussed this with my interviewer, and he made it seem like this was great for the school. he gave the impression that the church had been "taking" alot of money from the school, and that with this acquisition by Touro, new money will be poured into the school.

so my guess is the biggest change will be that NYMC will change the website from "in the catholic tradition" to "in the jewish tradition".

Eh..."easy" isn't as much fun. Nothing like a little drama to make for a good story. Thanks for all the press releases haha. I agree that it is good to have a current med student guiding the discussion on the topic.

You can take the metro train from Grand Central to either Valhalla or White Plains. Then you can take a cab.

Valhalla Station is pretty rural, but a little closer. White Plains is a sizable hub in the middle of a sizeable city.

I took mine from Valhalla on my way in, but I should note that the time differences are marginal between the 2 stations (I went out of White Plains when I left), they are not different zones (read: same price for the train ticket), and the taxis come from the White Plains station and so the fee is the same from both.

So I have an interview here 1/11 that I'm going to withdraw from. If any of you are interested in moving up an interview date, I can certaintly try to let you know what time I call them so you can try calling after.. Can't hurt :) PM me if you want by tomorrow

I interviewed mid November and still anxiously awaiting. I could have sworn one of the speakers said we would hear around holidays though.

I discussed this with my interviewer, and he made it seem like this was great for the school. he gave the impression that the church had been "taking" alot of money from the school, and that with this acquisition by Touro, new money will be poured into the school.

Wait... a force of good and charity being leeched off by religion?

;)

I interviewed mid November and still anxiously awaiting. I could have sworn one of the speakers said we would hear around holidays though.

i heard they would tell us sometime in january.

Happy New Year to all of you! I wish all SDNers best of luck and to get into med.school :laugh::xf:

Will NYMC start giving out DOs in the cloth and tradition of Touro? Touro Doctors?

Will NYMC start giving out DOs in the cloth and tradition of Touro? Touro Doctors?

Lol, no, since they stated that NYMC will still function independently from Touro mostly.

Guess I am just going to drive over. Hopefully the weather isn't horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.