2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so my question is if the email i received was actually for NYMC and not UB?

Members don't see this ad.

so my question is if the email i received was actually for NYMC and not UB?

Are you on any other waitlists?

Have you already received a background check from NYMC? If you have, it's not them. If you haven't, there's a good chance it's them.

I was accepted off of the NYMC wait list a few weeks ago and did not receive a Certiphi email before hand. None of the other schools where I had been accepted participated in Certiphi, so they didn't have any info on me already. Could it be a different school accepting you?

Members don't see this ad :)
DO most people have PCs or macs? I have been a PC person my entire life but recently have been tempted to switch over to a mac.

I don't believe NYMC runs background checks. I was accepted a long time ago and never received one.

2 questions...

1)What are the best apartment complexes to look at for attending nymc??

2)How necessary is a car for attending nymc?? (meaning, living in Valhalla)

Ps. Im from Los Angeles, Ca

2 questions...

1)What are the best apartment complexes to look at for attending nymc??

2)How necessary is a car for attending nymc?? (meaning, living in Valhalla)

Ps. Im from Los Angeles, Ca
1 - probably somewhere in white plains, sorry that's probably not much help
2 - you definitely want to have a car

DO most people have PCs or macs? I have been a PC person my entire life but recently have been tempted to switch over to a mac.

when you sit in lecture it seems like the majority of people have macs but there's no reason why you would need specifically a mac or pc

by the way, torrents don't work in student housing. so if you do get a new computer... :p

1 - probably somewhere in white plains, sorry that's probably not much help
2 - you definitely want to have a car

Yeah, if it's an apartment complex it will probably be in White Plains. However, the towns and villages near campus are full of houses that have been converted into apartments. The dept of housing has listings and there's always Craigslist.

And yes, bring a car. Don't be one of those Californians...

so when can we apply for the md/mph program?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Some of the places in White Plains seem relatively more expensive then others. Are there cheaper complexes in the surrounding area? Or are prices pretty much the same across the board? Im really looking for a 2br place or something similar.

by the way, torrents don't work in student housing. so if you do get a new computer... :p[/QUOTE]

I have no clue what a torrent is so I am not worried about it not working. is there a internet connection in each room or are you better off just buying a router for the whole apartment?

Apparently one of the associate deans along with 2 relatives just died in a small plane crash :( http://www.lohud.com/article/20100706/NEWS02/7060361/New-York-Medical-College-associate-dean-Margaret-Smith--2-relatives-killed-in-NJ-plane-crash

New York Medical College associate dean Margaret Smith, 2 relatives killed in NJ plane crash

VALHALLA — A prominent doctor and senior associate dean at New York Medical College was among three people killed in a small airplane crash Monday in northern New Jersey.

Dr. Margaret D. Smith, 70, a Manhattan rheumatologist and professor of clinical medicine at the college, was piloting the four-seater plane that crashed and burst into flames at a commercial strip near the Essex County Airport in Fairfield, N.J.

Also killed in the crash were Michael and Theresa Ferguson.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone gotten info about being placed for on campus housing? a few weeks ago the housing office said they would get back to us by the first week of july.
probably gonna call tomorrow, if i get any info ill update ya guys

haven't received anything. not even email confirmation that they received my deposit. but this is what it says on the website...so we'll probably hear back in the next week or so:

"Housing assignments will be sent out in mid-July. Move in for Grassland I (unfurnished units) will take place Friday, July 30th and move-in for Grasslands II (furnished units) will take place Sunday, August 1st, 2010."
--http://www.nymc.edu/StudentServices/Housing/NewStudents.html

if you call though - please update.

I hope we find out very soon so there isn't triplicates of everything in the apartment.

Last edited:
I hope we find out very soon so there isn't triplicates of everything in the apartment.

It's more scientific that way though. That way if one of your microwaves break, you can just throw it out and have two so you can still do statistics.

I talked with a lady from the Housing Office and she said that we are billed at the beginning of each semester for housing and that housing assignments would be out this week (I didn't ask if it would be by e-mail or snail mail).

Quick question. I've been a desktop guy my entire life. Never really liked laptops. I have a blackberry. Am i going to be at a loss if i don't have a laptop? Maybe for lectures or in study groups? Thanks.

I am hoping to bring my full-size bed to school with me, but I am concerned about the size of the room. Will it fit comfortably? Or should I just use the bed they provide?

Anyone else having trouble changing their initial NYMC password?

im filling out the health history form that came by email along with the physical and vaccination forms. does anyone know what they mean by

" department " , " Title " and " start date "

its right under how long have you lived in the USA

im tempted to call them but i feel like its a dumb question, if i can get it cleared
up on here that would be good

I think I put

Department: Medicine
Title: Blank
Start Date: Aug 2010

I might be way off though

thanks, i put something similiar. thanks for the input. good to know im not the only one that thought the wording was a little odd.

maybe thats more for employees at westchester medical center , and we all just get the same form

I have a question about parking...I remember reading somewhere on this thread that it's free, but how does it work? Do we need any stickers or tags or anything like that? I'll be living off campus so I'm just wondering where I'm supposed to park on the first day of orientation.

Oh and for some reason I'm having trouble figuring out the address to send transcripts. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me!

New york medical college
administration building
admissions office
valhalla, ny 10595

New york medical college
administration building
admissions office
valhalla, ny 10595

Okay thanks so much! I was worried about not having a street address, but I guess Valhalla is a pretty small place...

I have a question about parking...I remember reading somewhere on this thread that it's free, but how does it work? Do we need any stickers or tags or anything like that? I'll be living off campus so I'm just wondering where I'm supposed to park on the first day of orientation.

Oh and for some reason I'm having trouble figuring out the address to send transcripts. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me!

When you go in for registration, you will fill out the parking forms and get a sticker along with your student ID, locker assignment, etc. There will be people around to direct you during the process. It's kind of a big deal.

I'm real late on the paperwork for NYMC since I was just accepted yesterday. On the housing form, there are unfurnished apartments. What does unfurnished mean? Nothing in the rooms? And also, there is no way I can get my health forms and tests done before the July 23 deadline. Is the "poor academic standing" punishment strictly enforced? The Health Services Office wasn't too helpful (after asking if I've talked to the doctor, which I did before I called them...:annoyed:) and offered no solutions/extensions. Arrggh, paperwork.

Looking forward to school starting! :)

unfurnished means that there will be nothing in the apartment.. you need to bring a bed, desk, couch etc.

I bet that deadline isn't applicable for you. Call the office tomorrow and just make an appt for a physical asap and you'll be fine. Congrats on your acceptance!

Does anyone know if we can buy the tickets to the dinner cruise after Sunday at that bbq? I planned on going but I have to go up to Buffalo for a funeral and I won't be back until late Sunday night. I live off campus so I won't be on campus until Monday morning at orientation.

Does anyone know if we can buy the tickets to the dinner cruise after Sunday at that bbq? I planned on going but I have to go up to Buffalo for a funeral and I won't be back until late Sunday night. I live off campus so I won't be on campus until Monday morning at orientation.

I think they'll be selling them at the actual orientation events.

Those of you who aren't sure - it's well worth the money.

Hi Folks,

When is the orientation starting for class of 2014 and when is the white coat ceremony? Thanks!

Hi Folks,

When is the orientation starting for class of 2014 and when is the white coat ceremony? Thanks!

Orientation is starting, uh, tomorrow. First day of class is Friday. White Coat ceremony will be in a month or two.

I just called the admissions office and the secretary was so rude. Anyone have a similar experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.