2009-2010 University of California - Davis (UCD) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

1. How do you envision your life as a physician? (500 character limit)

2. What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that prepare you for a medical career? (500 character limit)

3. How will you contribute to and enhance the UC Davis School of Medicine community? (500 character limit)

4. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? (E.g. ties to UC Davis, the local communities, or the State of California) (500 character limit)

B. Experiences: At UC Davis School of Medicine we realize that each applicant brings diversity and perspective from a broad range of experiences. In this section we give you the opportunity to describe in detail the 3 extracurricular activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine. Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information. (750 character limit each)

LOR REQUIREMENT

We request at least three but no more than six letters of recommendation from persons who know you well enough to evaluate your scholarly potential and promise as a physician. These letters may be accompanied by an undergraduate school's premedical committee evaluation. Professors, instructors, thesis advisors, and supervisors of special projects, clinical, volunteer or employment activities usually provide the most informative letters. Letters from teachers who do not know you beyond grades and class rank are discouraged.
Once we have Received the minimum required letters (three), the applicant portal will reflect that you have met the letter of recommendation requirement. If your letter service submits more than 6 letters on your behalf, please email us at [email protected] with your name and AMCAS ID as well as instructions on which 6 letters (Letter Author Name and Institution) to include with your application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No love for any of the UCs except for LA and SF. Davis, Irvine, and SD were all chillin on the last page of the forum. I would love to go to Davis.

all 5000 california applicants would also love to go to davis lol...seriously any UC that calls and id freak out :)

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Davis is one of my top choices. I would be so happy with an acceptance here.

just got the davis secondary, looks like it's the same as last year

just got the davis secondary, looks like it's the same as last year
me too!!! finally UCs are showing me love. Well all except the 2 i knew would hate me hah... but still UCLA and UCD in the same week, this is awesome!!!

I GOT DAVIS TOO!!! OMFG I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!

This is the only UC secondary I wrote in advance too!

I love you, Davis!!

I got it today as well. Anyone know how stringently they screen?

Me too. I don't know how hard it is to get a secondary from them... but I'm totally pumped anyway :)

I got it today as well. Anyone know how stringently they screen?
I dont know but its probably similar to UCLA and UCI? About 50% get it? I doubt its as stringent as UCSD and UCSF are.

i just got acknowledge but also got a secondary at the same time. iono maybe cuz its my alma mater? anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
did you guys look at the prerequisite section? the minimum units are kind of weird, aren't they? are those units on a quarter system's?

I'm so burned out with the UCLA one. Should I start this one?:(

I'm so burned out with the UCLA one. Should I start this one?:(
I am, i want to get these done asap. I want at least UCLA and UCD done by monday, or close to it...This makes up for stupid wake telling me lolnothanks!

i got acknowledged but the email says decisions will be made mid-august to january!! when r UC's going to show me some love :annoyed:

i just got acknowledge but also got a secondary at the same time. iono maybe cuz its my alma mater? anyone else?

same! they weirdly sent the secondary request before the acknowledgement too.

same! they weirdly sent the secondary request before the acknowledgement too.
I thought the second e-mail would be a "nevermind" e-mail.

Anyone find that the app won't accept "A-" since it wants grades in "alphabet letters"?

ok i guess im finished, anyone knows when rejections come out? at least get the waiting over with :(

Still an accomplishment though, and it must mean it's not just a numbers screen.

I really want UCSF, by the way.
dont we all lol. Maybe over the next month itll make its way out. Getting UCD and LA are good enough for me though...i wonder when UCI comes out, its the one UC i know i would have got lol.

Got the secondary too! Yea no I don't think it's straight numbers, I think UC Davis might look briefly look at extracurriculars and PS.....

woo! got a secondary from these guys. is it true that only 50% of applicants get secondaries??? if it's true it will make me feel good about myself lol

ahhh this is so much work! they have all our courses from AMCAS why the heck do we have to enter everything in again. Wash U is like the top med school and they have no secondary essays, but the freaking UCs are killing me

when entering the date of completion for a course, how exact do you have to be? Like i know the month my semester courses finished in but i dont remember the exact last day of classes...can i guesstimate?

ahhh this is so much work! they have all our courses from AMCAS why the heck do we have to enter everything in again. Wash U is like the top med school and they have no secondary essays, but the freaking UCs are killing me

Unless you have like a 39, you shouldn't be happy about that. If you do, congratulations.

Just think of each essay as a chance to show off your writing abilities.

Got the secondary too! Yea no I don't think it's straight numbers, I think UC Davis might look briefly look at extracurriculars and PS.....

if they looked at my EC's and PS i would have had the secondary today too! im pretty sure its all numbers at least for now ;)

Why do we have to essentially reinput primary information? Pre-reqs I can understand. ECs? C'mon now. Such a waste of time...

what are you guys doing about the pre-requisites? first of all im confused about the required number of units...they seem like they are in weird units? For my school, one semester class is 3 units typically so a year of chem is 6 units? Also...what about the date completed? i have nooooo idea the exact date my freshman year classes ended

Usually schools screen a lot below their average scores so with your stats it only makes sense that you were screened in ;)
Yeah, but my 3.3/32 last time didn't get screened in. Sorry... thought I edited that into my earlier post.

Last edited:
what are you guys doing about the pre-requisites? first of all im confused about the required number of units...they seem like they are in weird units? For my school, one semester class is 3 units typically so a year of chem is 6 units? Also...what about the date completed? i have nooooo idea the exact date my freshman year classes ended

I wouldn't worry about the "exact date" just pick a date that seems reasonable (in the month you finished of course). The unit thing, however, is weird. I took every single lower division Biology/Chemistry class.. no way in hell it touches 15 units.

Usually schools screen a lot below their average scores so with your stats it only makes sense that you were screened in ;)
remember i got one mcataway so its certianly not numbers based, unless they auto send to all disadvantaged applicants, which in case you would have got? My GPA is high but you already know my mcat score, it leaves much to be desired.

remember i got one mcataway so its certianly not numbers based, unless they auto send to all disadvantaged applicants, which in case you would have got? My GPA is high but you already know my mcat score, it leaves much to be desired.

i dont know about GPA since i never really worried about mine, but for MCAT i think they would do a minimum 8 in each section [i have only paid attention to verbal but just talking in general sense.. im not saying for sure but since the lowest they have accepted is an 8 it makes sense that way].. i guess its hard to tell, i have seen people who got into UCSF but got rejected presecondary from UCD..

also i can tell you that they didn't send it to all disadvantaged applicants ;)

Last edited:
you may be right mcataway, haha i dont know i just speculate on **** and leave it at that since theres no true way to know unless an adcom or someone else involved tells us. Lets just hope they are like UCI where they will still review apps :).

About the pre reqs, are those minimum units quarter ones or semester?

you may be right mcataway, haha i dont know i just speculate on **** and leave it at that since theres no true way to know unless an adcom or someone else involved tells us. Lets just hope they are like UCI where they will still review apps :).

About the pre reqs, are those minimum units quarter ones or semester?

Don't know.. They could have made it much easier for everyone if they just put number of semesters/quarters required for each class. Then again it seems like the UCD Application/Admission system has always left much to be desired.

FYI, these are the courses they say they require on their website. I wouldn't say this takes precedence over the secondary, but it is worth considering.

The following college-level courses are required:
  • English: 1 year (Courses in Comparative Literature and/or Classics will fulfill the English requirement.)
  • Biological Sciences, lower division (with lab): 1 year
  • Biological Sciences, upper division (lab not required): 1/2 year*
  • General Chemistry (with lab): 1 year
  • Organic Chemistry (with lab): 1 year
    (If two or more undergraduate courses are offered, the more rigorous option is recommended)
  • Physics (with lab): 1 year
  • Mathematics (college-level math): 1 year
    (College-level statistics fulfills a portion of the requirement.)
AP/CLEP credit is not acceptable for prerequisite courses. On-line, electronic, distance learning or correspondence courses will not be accepted.
* Upper division biological science requirement can be satisfied by one semester or two quarters of biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology or genetics. Admission to medical school requires that the applicant have an understanding of fundamental concepts of biomedical science. Although a biochemistry course is not absolutely required for admission, it is strongly recommended.

also wth you cant put in B+ or A-....that makes a big difference:confused:

So.... I was totally expecting to get screened off pre-secondary (not entirely sure why I applied..) but somehow I got a secondary. Do they not screen by numbers or do they actually read your primary? I should be more excited, but I'm not.... this secondary is LONG.

My stats are slightly below koko's and I still got one, I really think they look at EC's and PS.... b/c I would be shocked if I got it based on numbers alone

Keep your fingers crossed everyone, althought I'm 100% sure I got an automatic rejection from UCSD/UCSF

Status
Not open for further replies.