2009-2010 University of California - Irvine (UCI) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

1. In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

2. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

3.This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

LOR Reqs

3 to 6 letters are suggested

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
guess no one but me loves my undergrad university :). UCSF and UCLA threads are blowing up this was all alone!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my top choices. Come on, Irvine.

Haha there has got to be more than the four of us wanting to stay in Cali. LOL Seems like we all have a lot of apps in common.

I'm applying to all the UCs and USC as well. CalBear, looks like we have apps in common, and a bunch of similar things between our apps too, haha.

Last edited:
Any UC acceptance = dream come true.

Haha there has got to be more than the four of us wanting to stay in Cali. LOL Seems like we all have a lot of apps in common.
every cali applicant has like the same schools lol....

3rd times a charm... i hope

3.47 and a 36Q, think i have a shot? obviously hard to answer without knowing ECs, i have a decent amount of research/clinical experience/and non-clinical volunteer

ca resident

3.47 and a 36Q, think i have a shot? obviously hard to answer without knowing ECs, i have a decent amount of research/clinical experience/and non-clinical volunteer

ca resident
UCI really takes a holistic look at the app, there are a lot of students with even sub 30 mcats in the class. Everyones best chance at any UC acceptance starts here probably :)

They really could do with another mascot. Anteater?

And what's up with Banana Slug? Isn't that mascot of UC Santa Cruz?
yah thats santa cruz........seriously who goes there lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
C'on people banana slugs are the best mascot ever!!

not all mascots have to be masculine :yawn:

ca resident

2 unsuccessful years? I hope you don't mind a few questions. Have your scores changed significantly? Did you apply broadly in previous years? What do you attribute previous failures to?

2 unsuccessful years? I hope you don't mind a few questions. Have your scores changed significantly? Did you apply broadly in previous years? What do you attribute previous failures to?
Seriously. The sad tale is just begging for questions but I have the feeling the answers will just make us all more anxious.

Hey hey hey. A school without a football team doesn't need a fierce mascot thanks. We are perfectly comfortable with a yellow slimy slug.

UCI really takes a holistic look at the app, there are a lot of students with even sub 30 mcats in the class. Everyones best chance at any UC acceptance starts here probably :)

hmm but according to the msar the 10th percentile for overall mcat is a 29 so there can't be that many sub 30 mcats can there?

hmm but according to the msar the 10th percentile for overall mcat is a 29 so there can't be that many sub 30 mcats can there?
At UCI theres more then other UCs I know that much. Also remember UCI is basically the least "attractive" UC so to speak in the minds of most applicants. UCI loses a decent amount of applicants to LA, SF, SD. 28-29 mcat wont kill you at UCI if other areas are interesting. While a 28-29 is going to kill you at SF and SD and in all likelyhood LA too. Its not like 1/2 the class is 28-30 mcats,i was just saying in comparison to the other UCs, UCI is not huge on numbers. They only take in state residents also. The best in state residents in all likelyhood will have other acceptances at more "prestigious" schools also just something to think about. a 4th yr student on the committee always jokes how everyone withdrawals from UCI for the other UCs :p.

And MSAR stats are nearly always inflated.

Has anyone received a 2ndary yet? or even confirmation of primary?

Well UCI's notice came just now with a status link, but no secondary for me.

Well UCI's notice came just now with a status link, but no secondary for me.
no secndary yet but i got that email too, i wonder if anyone got it...my alma matter better not snub me:(. Wtf the password they give is weird and not working, is it ok for u guys?

ditto on the status email, i suppose secondaries should be coming soon?

anyone else having some trouble logging in?

Looks like they're fixing it. I keep getting a runtime error.

Nevermind. It's back to being an invalid entry. I'll check again tomorrow.

Last edited:
At UCI theres more then other UCs I know that much. Also remember UCI is basically the least "attractive" UC so to speak in the minds of most applicants. UCI loses a decent amount of applicants to LA, SF, SD. 28-29 mcat wont kill you at UCI if other areas are interesting. While a 28-29 is going to kill you at SF and SD and in all likelyhood LA too. Its not like 1/2 the class is 28-30 mcats,i was just saying in comparison to the other UCs, UCI is not huge on numbers. They only take in state residents also. The best in state residents in all likelyhood will have other acceptances at more "prestigious" schools also just something to think about. a 4th yr student on the committee always jokes how everyone withdrawals from UCI for the other UCs :p.

And MSAR stats are nearly always inflated.

Its funny that you say that UCI is the least attractive UC school because that is by far the one I would most want to go to. Although I am an OOS MSTP applicant and UCI's program in my field is probably the best in the country. Interesting to see how you IS students view it though.

Its funny that you say that UCI is the least attractive UC school because that is by far the one I would most want to go to. Although I am an OOS MSTP applicant and UCI's program in my field is probably the best in the country. Interesting to see how you IS students view it though.
I'm IS and my preference is Davis followed by Irvine. Each person has their own preferences, but Elijah is right that the prestige goes to LA and SF and SD.

i was just talking about the average applicant and what they think. I dont mean UCI is bad by any means. Generally most students want to go like this in state, UCSF > UCLA > UCSD > UCI > UCD. Obviously there are people who want to say choose UCI as their number one, its just a general trend most students tend to follow. Im sure those in norcal would love UCD over some of the schools down here in socal etc etc.

Gosh, every time I see this thread updated, I think that secondary invites went out and I got shafted!

ditto on the status email, i suppose secondaries should be coming soon?

anyone else having some trouble logging in?

I wouldn't count on secondaries soon- I called towards the end of June asking what I should do with possible updates to the AMCAS application I needed to make and I was told that they're very behind and may not be sending out secondaries until the end of August (at which point if I get a secondary, I should send those updates then).

I wouldn't count on secondaries soon- I called towards the end of June asking what I should do with possible updates to the AMCAS application I needed to make and I was told that they're very behind and may not be sending out secondaries until the end of August (at which point if I get a secondary, I should send those updates then).
Good info! Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.