2009-2010 University of California - San Francisco (UCSF) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
got both emails at 9:30 PST. In-state. this is so exciting!:) Gluck to the rest of you.

Members don't see this ad.

any out of state people receive any emails?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email that my application was received. Status page says 6/30, but no secondary invite. I'm out of state, so I assume they review our applications a little more before offering secondaries? First choice school here (a long shot at best), but it'd be so awesome to get a secondary.

I got an email that my application was received. Status page says 6/30, but no secondary invite. I'm out of state, so I assume they review our applications a little more before offering secondaries? First choice school here (a long shot at best), but it'd be so awesome to get a secondary.
maybe but UCSF has no real preference for IS vs. OOS. But i agree getting a secondary would be so sweet. Id almost just be happy with that, cause i know i have no shot at any UC but maybe UCI and UCD :(

Hmm, still no email. An invite would really make my day.

For recommendations, if you are submitting a committee letter, do you just put "Committee Packet" as the only one, or do you need to list each recommender you are using in the packet?

if anyone from out of state gets a secondary invite, please post!

maybe but UCSF has no real preference for IS vs. OOS. But i agree getting a secondary would be so sweet. Id almost just be happy with that, cause i know i have no shot at any UC but maybe UCI and UCD :(

UCSF definitely gives preference to in-state. They enroll about what...100 in-state vs. 30 out of state every year. It's not as bad as the other UCs, but you're definitely at somewhat of an advantage being in-state...it's a state-funded university.

Man I fee like I am always just half a step behind all you guys. I hope i get my acknowledgement soon.

UCSF definitely gives preference to in-state. They enroll about what...100 in-state vs. 30 out of state every year. It's not as bad as the other UCs, but you're definitely at somewhat of an advantage being in-state...it's a state-funded university.

I thought UCSF offered equal spots to in-state versus out-of-state, and just that California residents are more likely to matriculate.

Eh about the advantage. Unlike most other states, we can never count on our state schools as a safety, and get our butts kicked elsewhere because we're out of state. I think we deserve this tiny slither of an advantage.

Eh about the advantage. Unlike most other states, we can never count on our state schools as a safety, and get our butts kicked elsewhere because we're out of state. I think we deserve this tiny slither of an advantage.

True. I was more making the point that you're at a slight disadvantage being OOS. They'll send secondaries/interview and invite a larger % of in-state applicants than will out of state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my email from them saying they received my AMCAS this morning. From what I've seen on this thread, do the in-staters automatically get the secondary while the rest of us have to wait a couple of more weeks?

just got the secondary, right after the first email too!! Looks like an easy secondary!

Yeah. UCSF was the only California school I applied to and the primary reason is because their secondary has no essays!:claps:

Just got my email from them saying they received my AMCAS this morning. From what I've seen on this thread, do the in-staters automatically get the secondary while the rest of us have to wait a couple of more weeks?

Yeah. UCSF was the only California school I applied to and the primary reason is because their secondary has no essays!:claps:

No. I didin't get it so far.

I havent gotten it either :(:(

were you all verified before the 24th?!

Got my secondary invite today too. In state.

"AMCAS Data Received 7/1/2009
Secondary Requested 7/1/2009

Congratulations. We want to know more about you."

wait a minute are they not screening anymore? it seems like everyone gets their secondaries right when they get the AMCAS!!

btw the website doesn't work for me either.. they probably dont even have my AMCAS yet?! :scared:

I'm OOS and I haven't even received an acknowledgment email yet, but I was verified on 6/23, so maybe I'm later than you all? For the OOSers here, did you guys receive acknowledgment emails at least? if so, when were you verified?

to answer the question about automatic secondaries, I was under the impression that they had been reviewing our apps this whole time and deciding if we deserved secondaries, and yesterday was the first day they started notifying. but they will still be reviewing apps and notifying us as we are approved. but I'm not sure about this completely

ahh UCSF got me checking my email EVERY SECOND of the day :annoyed:

I'm OOS and I havn't gotten the secondary invite.
But I was wondering if getting the secondary invite is something that people should be excited about becuase only a fraction of those people will get interview and only fraction of those people will get accepted..

I'm OOS and I havn't gotten the secondary invite.
But I was wondering if getting the secondary invite is something that people should be excited about becuase only a fraction of those people will get interview and only fraction of those people will get accepted..

One step at a time. Getting screened secondaries is always exciting, and if you do get the secondary, it seems that you have about a 33% chance to be interviewed.

I'm OOS and I haven't even received an acknowledgment email yet, but I was verified on 6/23, so maybe I'm later than you all? For the OOSers here, did you guys receive acknowledgment emails at least? if so, when were you verified?

to answer the question about automatic secondaries, I was under the impression that they had been reviewing our apps this whole time and deciding if we deserved secondaries, and yesterday was the first day they started notifying. but they will still be reviewing apps and notifying us as we are approved. but I'm not sure about this completely

I was verified on 6/9 and received the acknowledgment email yesterday. 12 weeks tho:lame:

I was verified by UCSF on 7/1/09 and got the email today. Also, for reference, my AMCAS was originally verified on 6/26/09.

For recommendations, if you are submitting a committee letter, do you just put "Committee Packet" as the only one, or do you need to list each recommender you are using in the packet?

i'm wondering this too!

bit the bullet and called them- they said we can just put down "committee packet":D

No youre wrong there, its just that cali students are more likely to matriculate there then OOS people. If as an OOS you got accepted to UCSF, its likely you also have acceptances at other top schools. the ratio they send acceptances to is about 60/40, it just ends up being 80/20 ratio for those who matriculate. Also there is no quota at UCSF imposed by the gov like there are other other schools.

If you dont want to believe me, a current md/phd student at ucsf posted this same info a page back I quote "As for acceptances, UCSF sends out 50% to CA residents and 50% to OOS. There's no quota imposed by the government, but CA residents are more likely to apply as well as to accept the offer." This is something i know to be true.

Does it seem like everyone who has gotten the secondary quickly has a 34+?
yah...it seems UCSD did something similar...i think its possible theres sort ofa quick and dirty numbers cut off they use to send out intial secondaries, then the rest come out later as they review the entire app? I could be wrong about this, im not sure they do this, but it seems reasonable after seeing what happened at SD and now here.

yah...it seems UCSD did something similar...i think its possible theres sort ofa quick and dirty numbers cut off they use to send out intial secondaries, then the rest come out later as they review the entire app? I could be wrong about this, im not sure they do this, but it seems reasonable after seeing what happened at SD and now here.

I have 34 but I didn't get mine :(

I have 34 but I didn't get mine :(
It seems those who get it are not only high in mcat 34+ but also like 3.7-3.8+ GPA...just anecdotal evidence and i in now way know this to be true...but maybe thats the reason. Everyone whos posted getting in has sick GPA and mcats.

I like SD better.

I was verified by UCSF on 7/1/09 and got the email today. Also, for reference, my AMCAS was originally verified on 6/26/09.

Interesting. well then I guess it's just a matter of time. Everyone should receive the acknowledgment at least, right? If it doesn't come in the next few days I'll stoop to the pre-med stereotype and call haha

Interesting. well then I guess it's just a matter of time. Everyone should receive the acknowledgment at least, right? If it doesn't come in the next few days I'll stoop to the pre-med stereotype and call haha

haha dude, everytime i call an office i feel so bad...you know this is their 1000th call from some pre med...its no wonder they are so angry on the phone all the time :laugh:

i shoulda wished for something better.. i was hoping not to get any secondaries until im done with the ones i have.. i just forgot to say except UCSF!!!!!!! and i had NO emails today NOTHING :eek:

i shoulda wished for something better.. i was hoping not to get any secondaries until im done with the ones i have.. i just forgot to say except UCSF!!!!!!! and i had NO emails today NOTHING :eek:
i only got mt sinai today.....seriously wheres the flood of secondaries:confused:. I knew they were gonna come next week when i have finals...-_-

It seems those who get it are not only high in mcat 34+ but also like 3.7-3.8+ GPA...just anecdotal evidence and i in now way know this to be true...but maybe thats the reason. Everyone whos posted getting in has sick GPA and mcats.

i think it has more to do with when you were verified...i i'm in-state with an mcat score over 34 and a 3.9+ gpa and still haven't received any UC secondaries (wasn't verified until the 25th). i'm hoping that's the case anyway haha

Approved on 7/1/09 but notified on 7/6.. I wonder what the delay was about. No big deal for me but I feel bad for the MSTP app people.

Just received an acknowledgment email, but no secondary following.
Guess im just not good enough lol.

i am now officially acknowledged!! thanks ucsf now gimme my secondary, interview, and acceptance already!! :D

No youre wrong there, its just that cali students are more likely to matriculate there then OOS people. If as an OOS you got accepted to UCSF, its likely you also have acceptances at other top schools. the ratio they send acceptances to is about 60/40, it just ends up being 80/20 ratio for those who matriculate. Also there is no quota at UCSF imposed by the gov like there are other other schools.

If you dont want to believe me, a current md/phd student at ucsf posted this same info a page back I quote "As for acceptances, UCSF sends out 50% to CA residents and 50% to OOS. There's no quota imposed by the government, but CA residents are more likely to apply as well as to accept the offer." This is something i know to be true.

50% CA residents and 50% elsewhere is a CA bias. Not as much as other UCs, to be sure, but it is still a bias (unless CA applicants make up half of the total number of applicants, which isn't the case).

I JUST got my secondary invite, and I'm <34 MCAT - so for those of you who are also in my boat, don't fret :)

Status
Not open for further replies.