2009-2010 University of California - San Francisco (UCSF) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be my GPA. Eh hopefully when the actually read my app, they'll give me a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

whoo! I just got acknowledged! Now can I just get a secondary pretty please?

got my acknowledgment, but no secondary.
and I'm OOS.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Gosh.. I hate looking at other people getting secondaries but nothing in my inbox.. so frustrating..

just got mine! acknowledgement and secondary e-mails were sent one minute apart. guess i spoke too soon earlier ha

No youre wrong there, its just that cali students are more likely to matriculate there then OOS people. If as an OOS you got accepted to UCSF, its likely you also have acceptances at other top schools. the ratio they send acceptances to is about 60/40, it just ends up being 80/20 ratio for those who matriculate. Also there is no quota at UCSF imposed by the gov like there are other other schools.

If you dont want to believe me, a current md/phd student at ucsf posted this same info a page back I quote "As for acceptances, UCSF sends out 50% to CA residents and 50% to OOS. There's no quota imposed by the government, but CA residents are more likely to apply as well as to accept the offer." This is something i know to be true.

Look at the numbers.

3179 In state Applied, 330 Interviewed: ~10.3% interviewed
2746 Out of State Applied, 173 interviewed: ~6.3% interviewed

You have a 10% vs. 6% chance of being interviewed in the In-state vs. OOS debate. It's likely that the Cali kids share equal overall stats to the OOS applicants but a larger % are selected for interviews. It's a state funded school, there's preference given. Even most 100% private institutions give some sort of preference to in-state applicants.

Last edited:
are you guys sending the supplemental activity list in? i'm continuing with many of the activities listed in my amcas, so i'm not sure if i should send in the extra writing.

Maybe I'm already done here. Wow.:(

UCSF is the best

No essays, screening and (relatively) cheap secondary app fee.

They're winning me over by the day. I love schools that screen. Prevents me from dumping more money in when they know I don't stand a chance. :cool:

How do you guys know everyone's stats? Is it shown in profiles somewhere or do you just know from other threads?

How do you guys know everyone's stats? Is it shown in profiles somewhere or do you just know from other threads?
also on some of the other UC threads they have posted their stats. Some like creativekat pop up in every UC thread so far so i just seem to remember him/her.

Members don't see this ad :)
It says that the passport-sized picture is optional. Are you guys sending it in?

My question was, are YOU sending in pictures?

I got acknowledged, and the email says: "Except for a change of address, please do not send any additional information or letters of recommendation at this time. Any additional information will not be added to your file."

I'm retaking the MCAT in a week; does this mean they will not consider my new scores in deciding to give me a secondary or not?

:(:(:(

has anyone from out of state received a secondary invite yet?

acknowledged / no secondary. OOS. 3.9+ / 40+. verified 6/26.

if its not about the numbers, why are the average GPA and MCAT so high? not saying its just numbers, but they have to be really important.

if its not about the numbers, why are the average GPA and MCAT so high? not saying its just numbers, but they have to be really important.

Well, I'm sure you also need to have great ECs, research, LORs, etc in addition to high grades/MCAT.

it's self-selecting. people with higher numbers tend to also have really good overall applications.

EC's LOR etc are def very important. im just saying all these top schools have insane averages, so being on the lower spectrum definitely makes things harder. that being said, yes bigman should receive a secondary

i did not want to set off a debate with my post. obviously there is much, much more to getting into medical school (and life) than mcat/gpa (for example, i didnt get a michigan auto-invite :( ).

just thought it would be reassuring to other people who havent received a secondary yet. obviously OOS people are getting processed more slowly.

let's all try to keep sane as we wait to hear back. ucsf is obviously a dream school.

Last edited:
i did not want to set off a debate with my post. obviously there is much, much more to getting into medical school (and life) than mcat/gpa (for example, i didnt get a michigan auto-invite :( ).

just thought it would be reassuring to other people who havent received a secondary yet. obviously OOS people are getting processed more slowly.

let's all try to keep sane as we wait to here back. ucsf is obviously a dream school.

yea i was just wondering if anyone OOS got a secondary invited. from the posts above it seems like only ppl from cali got one so far

AMCAS Data Received7/8/2009 Secondary Requested7/8/2009
Congratulations. We want to know more about you.

I only scored a 33 on my mcat and got the secondary request too! So those of you who have a <34 mcat should not fret! Hopefully they'll come soon for you guys as well! :D

Btw...are any of you applying for their PRIME-US program as well? Based on how few they accept it must be very competitive and you have to answer a bunch of prompts for it as well. It might delay my app by a bit as I fill it out but it seems like such a great program. Any thoughts on whether you think it'll be worth the extra time? :oops:

I only scored a 33 on my mcat and got the secondary request too! So those of you who have a <34 mcat should not fret! Hopefully they'll come soon for you guys as well! :D

Btw...are any of you applying for their PRIME-US program as well? Based on how few they accept it must be very competitive and you have to answer a bunch of prompts for it as well. It might delay my app by a bit as I fill it out but it seems like such a great program. Any thoughts on whether you think it'll be worth the extra time? :oops:

are you in state or out of state?

If you like prime id go for it, I dont believe its too hard to get into (stats wise) as they have a very specific goal with these programs. helping the mexican/latin community. They arent worried about stats as much as they are your true commitment to serving that community (which is often poor and underserved) and truly making a large impact on that specific community. If you speak spanish/are mexican, have ECs to back up what you say, and are truly genuine about it go for it. Theres no harm in it if you truly are interested.

CA residents do get screened first. It's a state school, having absolutely no preference is not, IMHO, the most appropriate use of state funds. I wasn't aware of the interview stats, but if that's the case, then OOS have equal, or even slightly higher chances of getting acceptances once they made it to the interview. Again there's no quota so nothing has to be this way, but the school is trying hard to strike a balance between fairness to the state and to the applicants.

Good luck everyone:luck:

are you guys sending the supplemental activity list in? i'm continuing with many of the activities listed in my amcas, so i'm not sure if i should send in the extra writing.

anyone?

im not sending the additional list....

As for people that sent their letters as a letter packet to AMCAS, what are you putting in the letters of recommendation section for names?

would it put you at a disadvantage to NOT submit the optional photo?

So there's seriously no essays here for a pure MD program?

I've got a friend who's matriculating at UCSF this year, and he's just got me so jealous...

didn't realize that they requested for a 2ndary from me 2 days ago until i logged in randomly today to my status page....

but yah...how important is it to submit the list of supplemental activities? And do we just list them? I mean if they want me to write a description, I'd be more than happy to but I listed 15 activities on AMCAS and like a poster said above, I'm continuing most of them. Don't know what else I can add.

I guess I'm going through the dialogue above in my head because I feel so weird just leaving it blank.

btw...this thread makes me feel sub-par *cry*...everyone in here seems so well achieved (SDN especially this thread makes me feel that everyone is running around with a 35+). I guess I should expect nothing less - it's UCSF.

didn't realize that they requested for a 2ndary from me 2 days ago until i logged in randomly today to my status page....

but yah...how important is it to submit the list of supplemental activities? And do we just list them? I mean if they want me to write a description, I'd be more than happy to but I listed 15 activities on AMCAS and like a poster said above, I'm continuing most of them. Don't know what else I can add.

I guess I'm going through the dialogue above in my head because I feel so weird just leaving it blank.

btw...this thread makes me feel sub-par *cry*...everyone in here seems so well achieved (SDN especially this thread makes me feel that everyone is running around with a 35+). I guess I should expect nothing less - it's UCSF.

I think the MCAT is the least of your problems. check out your crummy gpa. ;)

um for the record i am getting secondaries from these schools and my mcat was only a 31 so i feel like the SDN population is not a fair sampling of the people applying to medical school - just the "highly acheiving" ones. no worries.

if they do a screen on every section of the mcat im screwed for all the UC's :(

if they do a screen on every section of the mcat im screwed for all the UC's :(
well UCI does, im sure the others do also but at least for UCI, they go back through each and every app to make sure no good ones slipped through the cracks due to a low mcat or gpa...honestly though we are both long shots at best at UCs, ive resigned myself to the fact im off the the midwest or east coast if anything at all. Goodbye sunshine hello snowstorms and horrid humidity? lol

well UCI does, im sure the others do also but at least for UCI, they go back through each and every app to make sure no good ones slipped through the cracks due to a low mcat or gpa...honestly though we are both long shots at best at UCs, ive resigned myself to the fact im off the the midwest or east coast if anything at all. Goodbye sunshine hello snowstorms and horrid humidity? lol

not so fast Elijah, didn't you get LA? you are gonna be fine even in cali! im not even giving up but this secondary business is really taking a toll.. its nice to hear UCI goes back and checks, I hope all schools do that but that is probably going to be later in the cycle right? so much for applying early..

has anyone gotten word that ucsf got their mailed secondary?

any OOSs been screened in for the secondary? I think we have a while to wait :(

Status
Not open for further replies.