2009-2010 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompt

Write an essay in which you discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine. (limit 500 words)

Optional [truly optional!]: This section should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any information not previously discussed throughout your Yale Supplemental Application. (limit 500 words)

LOR Requirements

An evaluation from the applicant's Premedical Advisory Committee, or individual letters from three of the applicant's teachers, two of whom should be in science fields.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey fellow Yale Applicants!

So I did some research on secondaries this morning and here is what I found:

Yale's secondary is available online here. There is no screen for applicants.The application is not up as of yet, but when it is, we will create a user profile and login into the application that will be accessible on the above website. This was on the Yale website: ."The current year's application will be available on June 8, 2009.." So get excited. :)

Best of luck this year. :luck:

Where are all the Yale peoples??? Secondary opens tomorrow. :eek: The link to get to it is in my previous post. :luck: to everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
eep! can we really fill it out tomorrow? i feel so strange doing this without knowing that they got my primary and getting a secondary invite. but yay!

Good luck fellow applicants!:luck::luck:

So how many of us are going to submit the secondary in like 5 minutes? lol I pretty much have the essay done, but still have to tweak it a bit...

Just edited the prompt into the first post. Same as last year's. :)

Yea, the prompt is pretty much "why Yale?"

The answer is "the Yale system is awesome because of X, Y, and Z"

So it didn't quite take 5 minutes especially with their little credit card issues, but I just submitted! woot

I don't know if I'm doing this right so please fix it if it's wrong mods :):

FML: SR 6/8, SS 6/8, C?? (OOS)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious... will they hold your application until they have amcas app?

Just curious... will they hold your application until they have amcas app?
Yea I'm assuming so because really what could you do without the primary, especially since their secondary is short?

i never know what to write when asked questions like "why school x?"

i mean i can't just write "because it's awesome and i want to be a doctor" and truthfully i can't comment on the school specifically unless i know someone who goes/went there and i can really only comment on what i've read about...

anyone else come across this problem as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I edited your post a little FML, let me know if that format works for you. I figure adding IS vs. OOS can't hurt and it might be good to see. I'm hoping to submit by tomorrow.

i never know what to write when asked questions like "why school x?"

i mean i can't just write "because it's awesome and i want to be a doctor" and truthfully i can't comment on the school specifically unless i know someone who goes/went there and i can really only comment on what i've read about...

anyone else come across this problem as well?

Idk. I think it's my favorite question because I don't have to write about me. I have specific reasons for picking the schools I did.

where it asks for writing the names of letter writers (or committee packet) it states that if you're using a committee letter or a letter delivering service then it says add the address of the institution... my committee letter came from my university but it will be delivered via interfolio, so do i add my school's address?

where it asks for writing the names of letter writers (or committee packet) it states that if you're using a committee letter or a letter delivering service then it says add the address of the institution... my committee letter came from my university but it will be delivered via interfolio, so do i add my school's address?
I put my school's city and state... I think that's what they wrote to do anyway

I edited your post a little FML, let me know if that format works for you. I figure adding IS vs. OOS can't hurt and it might be good to see. I'm hoping to submit by tomorrow.
looks good!

So I'm still a little confused with how to send letters to schools. My letter service here at school will send to AMCAS a letter packet, which will then get sent to individual schools, right? This letter packet will contain 5 letters, but Yale only wants 3. I can't specify on AMCAS which letters to send to specific schools. So will they all get the letter packet consisting of all 5 letters? Eh, what to do...what to do...

So I'm still a little confused with how to send letters to schools. My letter service here at school will send to AMCAS a letter packet, which will then get sent to individual schools, right? This letter packet will contain 5 letters, but Yale only wants 3. I can't specify on AMCAS which letters to send to specific schools. So will they all get the letter packet consisting of all 5 letters? Eh, what to do...what to do...
yes, your school sends to AMCAS, AMCAS makes them available to schools

if you have a committee letter, there shouldn't be a problem with 5 other LORs, but even if you only have a packet (no committee letter), you should be fine. I don't think it said you had to have 3 and only 3 LORs

pharaoh88: SR: 6/8, SS: 6/8, C: ??

Hm.. I thought Yale is a non-rolling school..
Why do you guys have to rush your applications in so fast?
Am I mistaken about the non-rolling thing?

Hm.. I thought Yale is a non-rolling school..
Why do you guys have to rush your applications in so fast?
Am I mistaken about the non-rolling thing?
non-rolling on acceptances but still interviews are offered on a rolling basis, and I need all the help I can get :)

non-rolling on acceptances but still interviews are offered on a rolling basis, and I need all the help I can get :)

Oh is that so? whoa..
Better get started on that secondary then..

Just one more questions..
We can send more LORs than 3 right?

God damn it, Yale; Listing activites in order of importance? Could not think of a more stupid question?. I never thought I would have to evaluate my activities on scale from 1 to 10. They are important thats why I am doing them/did them. Period.

God damn it, Yale; Listing activites in order of importance? Could not think of a more stupid question?. I never thought I would have to evaluate my activities on scale from 1 to 10. They are important thats why I am doing them/did them. Period.

Yeah it's ridic, but it's not like you can have a wrong answer.

word. that definitely messed with my head a little bit lol

Dude, it asks if you've applied to this school before. I wonder if they consider whether or not you've applied as an undergrad or for law school. I'll put that in anyway just to show how much I want to go there.

Dude, it asks if you've applied to this school before. I wonder if they consider whether or not you've applied as an undergrad.
No they donot; click no for that;

is it a bad idea to mention that a school is your "first choice" or top choice in one of these why school x essays?

is it a bad idea to mention that a school is your "first choice" or top choice in one of these why school x essays?

i'd steer clear of that sort of language. just because you never know what you will think of all the schools until you go visit. i'm guessing that adcoms will be thinking just that ("how can he/she know yet?") and will see it as kind of silly or short sighted. actually, they probably wouldn't give that sort of statement much weight at all. :shrug:

i'm sure you can make your love for the school come across in a less explicit way :)

Ok, since I got all sickly yesterday I really couldn't work on it. But the plan is to perfect the essay today and submit before midnight EST. I hope my reasons for "why Yale?" aren't too cliche (well only one of them kinda is I think). Yale isn't like my top top top choice, but I'm still very intrigued by it. I think if I went to visit there, I could easily change my mind about it. I just think I know enough now. Idk I hope my reasons (which I think are good) are actually good enough for them.

Last edited:
Ok, since I got all sickly yesterday I really couldn't work on it. But the plan is to perfect the essay today and submit before midnight EST. I hope my reasons for "why Yale?" aren't too cliche (well only one of them kinda is I think). Yale isn't like my top top choice, but I'm still very intrigued by it. I think if I went to visit there, I could easily change my mind about it. Idk I hope my reasons (which I think are good) are actually good enough for them.

Don't worry. If George W Bush can get in, so can you!

So, I'd like your opinion on this...

I started to apply last year, but I wound up not submitting Yale's secondary. Does that mean I count as previously applied or not (seeing how I technically did open an application with them)?

Thanks and Gl everyone!

pharaoh88: SR: 6/8, SS: 6/8, C: ?? (OOS)
ksmi117: SR: 6/8, SS: 6/9, C: ?? (OOS)

So, I'd like your opinion on this...

I started to apply last year, but I wound up not submitting Yale's secondary. Does that mean I count as previously applied or not (seeing how I technically did open an application with them)?

Thanks and Gl everyone!

I'd say that it counts as applying since they would have gotten all your info from AMCAS.

I am about to submit. It does not ask for 2ndry fee. Does anyone know how/when do we pay that?

wait... i'm confused. are we supposed to be seeking these secondaries out on our own? or are they supposed to notify us if we've submitted our primary?

There are a few schools that don't care if they have your AMCAS yet. Yale is one of them.

yeah, but WOULD they notify us that the 2ndary is available? or are we just supposed to know to go to their website and check?

yeah, but WOULD they notify us that the 2ndary is available? or are we just supposed to know to go to their website and check?

yeah, i'm almost positive they'll notify us once they have our AMCAS, etc. probably via email.

Status
Not open for further replies.