2009 Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemnerd31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the 2009 application becomes available in a month or so I was wondering if thats when schools start reviewing applications. The reason I ask is I am a little worried about my chances for admission and I want to get my application in ASAP so I have a better change. The proble is I am taking the MCAT June 13 so I will not be able to complete my application until July 13 and fear that may be too late. Also how much of a negative do you think it is that I do not have any volunteer experience but have 80 - 120 hours of shadowing several different doctors.

Here are my worries:
1. no volenteer experience
2. not so great GPA (3.6)

My sterengths:
1. Lots of research experience (5 different projects in my carrer)
2. Should do well on MCAT 35+
3. Lots of extras when I was in school
4. completed a MA from one of the courties best schools
5. Since I am older and married with a kid I think that may also increase my chances.

Please give me any input you have on the application process as well as what I should do to beef up my application. I am scheuled to volunteer this summer in June but I may have to teach summer school which would ruin that idea.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

when they ask you, what have you done in order to realize that medicine is right for you?

I wouldnt worry about the lack of volunteer experience. I think you may potentially have enough exposure to the field through the shadowing, just make sure you can explain that. Also, since it seems the majority of your ECs are research based, you better know it inside and out.

Since the 2009 application becomes available in a month or so I was wondering if thats when schools start reviewing applications. The reason I ask is I am a little worried about my chances for admission and I want to get my application in ASAP so I have a better change. The proble is I am taking the MCAT June 13 so I will not be able to complete my application until July 13 and fear that may be too late. Also how much of a negative do you think it is that I do not have any volunteer experience but have 80 - 120 hours of shadowing several different doctors.

Here are my worries:
1. no volenteer experience
2. not so great GPA (3.6)

My sterengths:
1. Lots of research experience (5 different projects in my carrer)
2. Should do well on MCAT 35+
3. Lots of extras when I was in school
4. completed a MA from one of the courties best schools
5. Since I am older and married with a kid I think that may also increase my chances.

Please give me any input you have on the application process as well as what I should do to beef up my application. I am scheuled to volunteer this summer in June but I may have to teach summer school which would ruin that idea.

Thanks

Who told you that they look more favorably upon the older folks with kids? And since when is a 3.6 a "not so great GPA?"