2010-2011 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just called Duke and they said I should've received a decision by now. After looking up my file, they said I was in a handful (and she emphasized handful) that haven't heard back yet, and will most likely hear word early next week. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone who has been accepted in this late batch?

I still haven't heard a word.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted too, as if they just waitlisted everyone who hadn't heard back yet. This gives me hope that we're all borderline and so could be at the top of the list, but previous years' threads say that it's unranked.

My email said that they "sincerely hope you will accept this position" (on the wailtist) but I am guessing they say that to everyone. Do we all have the same email? It also warns not to call and ask about position on the list, which is frustrating..

Waitlisted too, as if they just waitlisted everyone who hadn't heard back yet. This gives me hope that we're all borderline and so could be at the top of the list, but previous years' threads say that it's unranked.

My email said that they "sincerely hope you will accept this position" (on the wailtist) but I am guessing they say that to everyone. Do we all have the same email? It also warns not to call and ask about position on the list, which is frustrating..

It does seem like they waitlisted everyone... But there should be a rank to it.
I received the same email you're referring to, I'm guessing all waitlisted got the mass email.

Current M4s matched really well

Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Anesthesiology
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Anesthesiology
UTSW Anesthesiology
U Utah Affiliates Anesthesiology
Massachusetts General Hosp Anesthesiology PG1-4
Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO Anesthesiology PG1-4
Emory Univ SOM-GA Dermatology
U North Carolina Hospitals Dermatology
UC San Diego Dermatology
UC San Francisco Dermatology
Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Cariolion SOM Emergency Medicine
Denver Health Med Ctr-CO Emergency Medicine
Denver Health Med Ctr-CO Emergency Medicine
NYP Hosp-Columbia & Cornell-NY Emergency Medicine
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Emergency Medicine
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Emergency Medicine
University Hospital-Cincinnati OH Emergency Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Medicine
Trident Medical Center-SC Family Medicine
U Washington Affil Hosps Family Medicine (Harborview)
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC General Surgery
Indiana Univ Sch of Med General Surgery
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD General Surgery
University of Colorado (Denver) General Surgery
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Internal Medicine
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Internal Medicine
Columbia Univ Univ Med Ctr-NY Internal Medicine
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NCInternal Medicine
Hosp of the Univ of PA Internal Medicine
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Internal Medicine
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Internal Medicine
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Internal Medicine
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Internal Medicine
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor Internal Medicine
U North Carolina Hospitals Internal Medicine
Hosp of the Univ of PA Internal Medicine (Research)
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Medicine-Pediatrics
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Medicine-Pediatrics
Massachusetts General Hosp Medicine-Pediatrics
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor Medicine-Pediatrics
UCLA Medical Center Medicine-Pediatrics
CA Pacific Med Center Medicine-Preliminary
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC Medicine-Preliminary
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Medicine-Preliminary
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Medicine-Preliminary
George Washington Univ DC Medicine-Preliminary
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Preliminary
Moses H Cone Mem Hosp-NC Medicine-Preliminary
St Marys Medical Ctr-SF-CA Medicine-Preliminary
UC San Diego Medicine-Preliminary
Virginia Commonwealth U Medicine-Preliminary
Johns Hopkins/Bayview-MD Medicine-Primary
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Medicine-Primary/HVMA
UC San Francisco Medicine-Primary/SFGH
Emory Univ SOM-GA Medicine-Psychiatry
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY Neurological Surgery
U Michigan Hosps—Ann Arbor Neurological Surgery
B1 Deaconess Med Ctr-MA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Mt Sinai Hospita-NY Obstetrics-Gynecology
CPMC San Francisco-CA Ophthalmology
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Ophthalmology
Lackland AFB-TX Ophthalmology
UCLA Medical Center Ophthalmology
UCLA Medical Center Ophthalmology
Johns Hopkins Ophthalmology
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Orthopedic Surgery
Massachusetts General Hosp Orthopedic Surgery
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Orthopedic Surgery
New Mexico SOM Orthopedic Surgery
U Texas Southwestern Orthopedic Surgery
UPMC Medical Education-PA Orthopedic Surgery
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Otolaryngology
U Iowa Hosps and Clinics Otolaryngology
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Pathology
Hosp of the Univ of PA Pathology
Baylor Coll Med-Houston, TX Pediatrics
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Pediatrics
St. Louis Childrens Hosp-MO Pediatrics
Tripler Army Medical Center-HI Pediatrics
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Pediatrics/Child Neurology
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Plastic Surgery
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Surgery-Prelim
Stanford University Plastic Surgery (integrated)
Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital Preliminary
University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals Psychiatry
Yale New Haven Hospital Psychiatry
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Radiation Oncology
University of Chicago Med Ctr-IL Radiation Oncology
UMDNJ-New Jersey Radiology--Diagnostic
Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO Radiology-Diagnostic
Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO Radiology-Diagnostic
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Radiology-Diagnostic
Massachusetts General Hosp Radiology-Diagnostic
Massachusetts General Hosp Radiology-Diagnostic
Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U Radiology-Diagnostic
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA Radiology-Diagnostic
UTSW Radiology-Diagnostic
UC San Francisco Radiology-Diagnostic
U Texas HSC-San Antonio Radiology-Diagnostic (+ PhD)
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Surgery-Preliminary
Akron Gen Med Ctr/NEOUCOM-OH Transitional
Harbor Hospital Ctr-MD Transitional
Indiana Univ Sch of Med Transitional
Indiana Univ Sch of Med Transitional
Intermountain Med Ctr-UT Transitional
Memorial Sloan-Kettering –NY Transitional
Methodist Hospital-Houston TX Transitional
Newton-Wellesley Hosp-MA Transitional
Trident Medical Center-SC Transitional
UPMC Mercy Hospital-PA Transitional
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Urology

Is anyone else in this thread a reapplicant (and possibly a waitlister for the second year in a row?). I'm really starting to think DukeMeds was never meant to be. Perhaps if I have to fight this hard for something maybe its a sign its not for me. What do others think? Is anyone in the same shoes feeling the same? :(

Is anyone else in this thread a reapplicant (and possibly a waitlister for the second year in a row?). I'm really starting to think DukeMeds was never meant to be. Perhaps if I have to fight this hard for something maybe its a sign its not for me. What do others think? Is anyone in the same shoes feeling the same? :(

"Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people." - Randy Pausch

Accepted! Does anybody know which apartment complexes or neighborhoods would be nice and affordable to live in? I'm mostly concerned about the location (safe, quiet, clean, not too far from campus.) Are there neighborhoods I should avoid? Thanks for your input!

"Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people." - Randy Pausch

Awesome man. R.I.P.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Does anybody know which apartment complexes or neighborhoods would be nice and affordable to live in? I'm mostly concerned about the location (safe, quiet, clean, not too far from campus.) Are there neighborhoods I should avoid? Thanks for your input!

Would you mind telling me when you were notified of acceptance?

Does anyone know when/how Duke notifies accepted students of merit scholarship awards? I know Duke gives out some big ones. Have any of the already-accepted candidates received a scholarship offer?

I received notice 3/28 by first a phone call from a Dean and then an e-mail follow-up message regarding a merit scholarship. Accepted 3/15, Interviewed 11/17.

Any of the other waitlisters send in a letter of intent? I was just wondering if I should expect a response from the school after mailing it in or if they will just add it to my file. Good luck to all of you in your endeavors!
:luck:

Can anyone comment on the social dynamic at Duke SOM? It seems like the fact that everyone lives off campus + intense first year + less preclinical time together might result in a less social place, but I could be totally wrong. Can any current students offer some insight?

Also, any thoughts on living in Durham? And for the third year, is it possible to do your research project somewhere else and what does that entail (finding a mentor at another school I assume, how easy is this to do)? I really love this school, but I have a few reservations...

Can anyone comment on the social dynamic at Duke SOM? It seems like the fact that everyone lives off campus + intense first year + less preclinical time together might result in a less social place, but I could be totally wrong. Can any current students offer some insight?

Also, any thoughts on living in Durham? And for the third year, is it possible to do your research project somewhere else and what does that entail (finding a mentor at another school I assume, how easy is this to do)? I really love this school, but I have a few reservations...

Re: the social dynamics, at second look the students did comment that their class has less time together than they would at other schools, but they made it sound like that really promotes closeness between the different classes to keep it a very social atmosphere. Definitely seemed very social at second look.

As somebody who lives in a major metropolitan area now and is contemplating a move to Durham, Durham seems to have a pretty decent nightlife/culture/dining for a place of its size, and there's a great variety of housing that is very affordable.

I believe they said at second look that 30-40% of the third years go away for the year...a handful go to NIH, some work at other institutions where they have relationships with faculty, some go to developing countries and spend the year abroad. They really stressed that it's very possible to carve your own path if you take some initiative.

I had some reservations too going in to second look, which addressed most of them...feel free to PM me for more info.

Just withdrew my acceptance. I have no doubt that it's going to be given to someone awesome. Good luck, guys.

I might be running this question into the ground but, any word on the WL notification timeline?

+1!!!!

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

From what I searched last year, movement wont start until May 16th (on occasions a day before). Applicants have 2 weeks to decide and they go in waves. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!

All the best

Is the WL here ranked?

Last year's thread seems to indicate that it isn't, but the wording on the waitlist letter "assigned a place" suggests to me that it is. Anyone know definitively?

I'm bumping this thread because I REALLY want to know the answer to the above question...current medical students? administrators? anyone?

Everyone needs to calm down for a min and relax

In order to relieve the tension, here's a video of me and the rest of the entourage dancing between time outs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXjNkFvZcaw&feature=related

enjoy

ps - wl is not ranked from what i understand, but that shouldnt matter bc if youre going to get in, youre gonna get it. that's all there is to it.

:xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf:

Hoping and praying I get the call tmrw.....

LEBrontourage, how much waitlist mvt can we expect?

Hoping and praying I get the call tmrw.....

LEBrontourage, how much waitlist mvt can we expect?

Not sure if the movement will happen tomorrow...but I find it HILARIOUS that, as waitlisters, our chances for admission didn't change at all from even just being interviewed :laugh:

Any news yet :xf:?

I was rejected here, but I know someone who works in the admissions department, they are currently overenrolled as of yesterday so movement will be scarce and probably not happen til later this month. Sorry to deliver the bad news, I'm on some waitlists too and it sucks.

I was rejected here, but I know someone who works in the admissions department, they are currently overenrolled as of yesterday so movement will be scarce and probably not happen til later this month. Sorry to deliver the bad news, I'm on some waitlists too and it sucks.

Thanks ButterfingerBBs. It is probably time to give up on Duke :(.

yeah..what a shame.. especially with the WL being (probably) as long as it is based on how many people have reported being WL on here.

If it's any consolation (which it isn't), I heard that the waitlist this year is supposed to be significantly smaller than it has been in previous years. I seriously hope there's some waitlist movement at other places so that people withdraw from Duke!!!

If it's any consolation (which it isn't), I heard that the waitlist this year is supposed to be significantly smaller than it has been in previous years. I seriously hope there's some waitlist movement at other places so that people withdraw from Duke!!!
:thumbup: I guess we just need time to let us know.

:thumbup: I guess we just need time to let u
s know.

I called admissions today and was told that the class is currently full and not to expect much waitlist movement this year....:(:(:(:(

Just out of curiosity, any fellow Muslims attending Duke next year?

I spoke to someone in Duke's admission office today, and there has been no waitless movement so far--none at all. I asked if there could be movement later, but they said it is too early to tell. They said that if there is absolutely no movement by the end of this summer, then it is a first for Duke. I hope this helps.

I spoke to someone in Duke's admission office today, and there has been no waitless movement so far--none at all. I asked if there could be movement later, but they said it is too early to tell. They said that if there is absolutely no movement by the end of this summer, then it is a first for Duke. I hope this helps.

Does movement (for Duke and other schools) normally happen predominantly in June/July? I'd think it mainly occurs immediately after May15th

Does movement (for Duke and other schools) normally happen predominantly in June/July? I'd think it mainly occurs immediately after May15th

The movement usually happens right after May 15.

Last edited:
How long does it take to accept the federal/Grad Plus loans? Are there more applications involved? Is the process straightforward? Thanks.

I'm sure everyone on the WL got the email but I wanted to update for anyone from this cycle forward. Their orientation was this weekend and everyone showed so the class is finalized and there won't be anyone taken off the WL.

sorry to bring up old news, but i'm applying this cycle...well "applying" is a loose term b/c i'm having trouble writing the essays (same as yours). I feel like they are very high risk and i run the risk of looking like i have alot of "drama" in my life. i kind of feel like i might be hurt if i poured out my soul to these people and then they reject me -- i guess that's the nature of the game? any reflections on whether it was worth it or if you felt really betrayed or led on?

Status
Not open for further replies.