2010-2011 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
same here

Members don't see this ad.

i'm having trouble with the moral/ethical dilemma question. I had a solid one for the pittsburgh secondary, but it wasn't THAT significant. the way the duke question is worded makes it seem like id be trying to stretch the significance if I used it for this secondary.

"how did it change your life"/"what impact will it have on your future as a provider"?

i cant believe that most applicants have had a ethical dilemma that's CHANGED their LIFE...am i wrong? anyone have thoughts on this question?

i'm having trouble with the moral/ethical dilemma question. I had a solid one for the pittsburgh secondary, but it wasn't THAT significant. the way the duke question is worded makes it seem like id be trying to stretch the significance if I used it for this secondary.

"how did it change your life"/"what impact will it have on your future as a provider"?

i cant believe that most applicants have had a ethical dilemma that's CHANGED their LIFE...am i wrong? anyone have thoughts on this question?

It's definitely a difficult question...and this essay is part of why I've been sitting on the secondary for almost two weeks. I agree with you...but I think this is a way of Duke sifting out the really good applicants...because not every person can write a response to this prompt, and being able to will show a lot of a person's character.

Anyway, I think I'm going to end up writing about a relationship I had (keeping it anonymous here..haha :p).

Think about it a little more, I'm sure you'll come up with something. :) good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview! I'm pretty excited, but really surprised that it has come this quick. I only submitted my secondary 7/23. Does anybody know if they even screen for interviews, or if they just offer tons of them? Thanks

deleted

Last edited:
for the toughest feedback question, is this one of those "your weakness is your strength" questions? by that I mean, if someone asks you about weakness, a lot of people say "I pay too much attention to detail," which can obviously considered a strength. so should I be thinking along similar lines? i have an example with poor body language, would that be a bad idea to write about?

my toughest feedback was when my friend told me i just care too much.

Anyone else getting interviews? I submitted mid-July, just curious as to when I could potentially hear.
Thanks

What direction are you guys going on the "toughest feedback" question. Was it something you heard from a teacher, a friend or a collegue?

I had a nurse I worked under tell me I can't be so emotionally involved with the patients (I am so not Izzy from Grey's) when I had stepped outside to cry one day. But honestly, I think that the day medicine stops making me cry is the day I should quit, so I don't really think I can use that example.

What direction are you guys going on the "toughest feedback" question. Was it something you heard from a teacher, a friend or a collegue?

I'm torn. I have written something about a recommendation letter I received earlier when I was applying for some programs, but I can't decide if that would draw unnecessary scrutiny to the rec letters I have now. But I do think reading that letter did make a significant difference in the way that I carry myself now, so we'll see.

I'm trying to write about something that's not just a bad paper grade or anything else along those lines. Other than that, I'm stumped.

I know there is no limit, but most of mine are about one full page (500-600 words). Is that pushing it? I assume they can stop reading if they want.

I know there is no limit, but most of mine are about one full page (500-600 words). Is that pushing it? I assume they can stop reading if they want.

No, I think that's ok. I'm guessing they give no word limit so that we have room to use as many words as needed to answer the prompts. I just finished the moral dilemma one, and mine came out to like 700 words. I think that'll be my longest one, though.

after applying to what feels like 100 schools, i think i genuinely appreciate original essays at this point. congrats on the interview medved, im hoping to submit tomorrow

Members don't see this ad :)
after applying to what feels like 100 schools, i think i genuinely appreciate original essays at this point. congrats on the interview medved, im hoping to submit tomorrow

I agree with this - at first I thought that there was no way I'd be able to finish the secondaries in time, and the prompts were very intimidating. But the more I work on them the more I like them. Now that people are already getting interviews from Duke my motivation to finish just shot up.

For the debate about "worst criticism," I think that they are looking for honesty and that the reaction to the criticism is more important than the criticism itself. They don't expect us to be perfect, and something along the lines of "Sometimes I just care too much..." will prob get an eye roll while your app meets the garbage can.

I agree with this - at first I thought that there was no way I'd be able to finish the secondaries in time, and the prompts were very intimidating. But the more I work on them the more I like them. Now that people are already getting interviews from Duke my motivation to finish just shot up.

For the debate about "worst criticism," I think that they are looking for honesty and that the reaction to the criticism is more important than the criticism itself. They don't expect us to be perfect, and something along the lines of "Sometimes I just care too much..." will prob get an eye roll while your app meets the garbage can.

Yeah good point wiingy, I'm gonna go for something more legitimate.

Is anyone else doing the " .What is the value of giving back to your community?" prompt?..

I am, the "most compelling part of your app" one sounds like it would be too repetitive.

question: when is says "of others performing other roles in a community" does it mean other NONPHYSICIANS performing other community service-related roles in the community? or can it be other PHYSICIANS performing non community service-related roles?

basically--is the first "other" referring to other physicians or other people who are not physicians.

I'm torn. I have written something about a recommendation letter I received earlier when I was applying for some programs, but I can't decide if that would draw unnecessary scrutiny to the rec letters I have now. But I do think reading that letter did make a significant difference in the way that I carry myself now, so we'll see.

I'm trying to write about something that's not just a bad paper grade or anything else along those lines. Other than that, I'm stumped.

i just think it would draw scrutiny to the fact that you saw a previous rec letter.

question: when is says "of others performing other roles in a community" does it mean other NONPHYSICIANS performing other community service-related roles in the community? or can it be other PHYSICIANS performing non community service-related roles?

basically--is the first "other" referring to other physicians or other people who are not physicians.

I interpreted that as asking "why do physicians do for the community that make them unique?" Like you can argue that restaurant workers also "give to the community," but what makes docs special.

I interpreted that as asking "why do physicians do for the community that make them unique?" Like you can argue that restaurant workers also "give to the community," but what makes docs special.

Yes, this is how I took it as well.

Yes, this is how I took it as well.

cool--i finally understand the wording haha (i thought it was kind of poor). just curious...are you guys saying it is or is not a more important attribute of a physician than others? i'm saying it's not.

got interview invite today, so stoked!

complete on 7/28

Congrats! what were your stats if you dont mind my asking?

honestly i don't think it was my stats, i just spent a hell of a lot of time on my secondary, like an entire week on just those essays, and I also was very blunt and talked about some non-traditional topics. i was also a bit risky on my optional essay (most compelling aspect of app)

also, i'm interviewing on october 14th

Interesting-first school I see that offers video chat invites....

3.9 33

Congrats to everyone with interview invites already! I interviewed at Duke last year, then got waitlisted and never got off. :( Reapplying this year though! I absolutely love Duke. PM me if you have any questions about the interview or anything (although you probably shouldn't ask me for advice since I was waitlisted, not accepted, haha).

I hope I am luckier this year.

Congrats to everyone with interview invites already! I interviewed at Duke last year, then got waitlisted and never got off. :( Reapplying this year though! I absolutely love Duke. PM me if you have any questions about the interview or anything (although you probably shouldn't ask me for advice since I was waitlisted, not accepted, haha).

I hope I am luckier this year.

haha well better luck to you this time around!

and they're not rolling admissions right? everyone finds out in march?

Yea, interview invite! :love:I love Duke--submitted 8/2/10.

It looks like you are required to commit to an on-campus or virtual interview before you can see the possible interview dates. Is this correct? For those of you who have already chosen your interview style, do they offer any dates around Oct. 23-28th?

Yea, interview invite! :love:I love Duke--submitted 8/2/10.

It looks like you are required to commit to an on-campus or virtual interview before you can see the possible interview dates. Is this correct? For those of you who have already chosen your interview style, do they offer any dates around Oct. 23-28th?

Actually, if you click on the interview style but don't pick a date, I don't think it does anything. I just went in and looked and I still have the option on my home page. Buuut, I'd double check on that.

Actually, if you click on the interview style but don't pick a date, I don't think it does anything. I just went in and looked and I still have the option on my home page. Buuut, I'd double check on that.

Is anyone picking the virtual option? It says that applicants are at no disadvantage, so I'm thinking of it...it would be a lot easier logistically.

Also, does it not matter if we interview early vs. later, since it's non-rolling? Do you guys know what the etiquette is in terms of how fast we should schedule interviews? (by this I mean how fast we should respond to interview invites)

After having the email glaring at me for the past 10 days I FINALLY SUBMITTED!! IT FEELS SO GOOD TO BE DONE WITH THIS APP!!! (/release)

I can now get a good nights sleep. Good luck everyone!

After having the email glaring at me for the past 10 days I FINALLY SUBMITTED!! IT FEELS SO GOOD TO BE DONE WITH THIS APP!!! (/release)

I can now get a good nights sleep. Good luck everyone!

Just submitted today too! I definitely agree with you...this one was a doozy! Best of luck! :luck::luck:

Super excited! I'm still wavering on the virtual vs. on campus. I really wanna travel but... Well, lemme know what y'all think

Super excited! I'm still wavering on the virtual vs. on campus. I really wanna travel but... Well, lemme know what y'all think

I'm from NY so getting there wouldn't be all too easy, but *if* I get an interview offer, I will go for the on campus visit. I know very little about NC, let alone Durham, and would love to see the city and school first hand.

But that's just me.

I interviewed last year (and was waitlisted) and I was super happy I did the on-campus interview. Meeting all the people and seeing the school was a big part of getting a feel for the school. Plus the interviews occur after the tour and talks, so it gives you the opportunity to ask some direct questions based on what you learned that morning! I'm definitely reapplying and hoping for a better outcome this year!

INTERVIEW INVITE! Yay!

Complete 08/09.

I haven't scheduled it yet...but will probably be leaning toward late September.

Good luck all!

My AMCAS was verified 8/2 and I still haven't received an confirmation from Duke...anyone else experiencing a lag in this department?

my first interview invite :soexcited:
Complete 8/7, invite 8/12
3.67, 29M

On campus interview. Definitely.

Medical school interviews are not an area that you want to cut costs. If you really think about it, it costs nothing in comparison to the huge investment you will be making for your med school tuition. And investing that kind of money, you want to make the most informed decision possible. All of my friends currently in med school said that their interview day was the most crucial factor in committing to a school.

You also can't really get a feel for Duke, or Durham NC, unless you visit. Especially if you are from the North! Haha. Had it not been for my on-campus visit a week before the enrollment deposit deadline, I probably would not have gone to Duke as an undergrad. Best (last minute) decision of my life :)

First interview invite!

AMCAS Verified: 7/19
Secondary Received: 7/21
Secondary Complete: 8/5
Interview Invite: 8/12

invite!!! complete 8/4, haven't scheduled yet

Status
Not open for further replies.