2010-2011 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I opted for the skype interview and got a response e-mail for my choice, but haven't yet recieved actual dates to choose from. Am I missing something? Has anyone else scheduled an actual skype date?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got that same email...I think they pick the interviewer for us and then the we'll be contacted to setup an interview with them

What's the best way to get from the airport to a hotel near Duke? Taxi or LTD? (less expensive is preferred)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys! I'm an MS1 here...I absolutely love Duke and hope you guys will enjoy interviewing here. The secondary is a bit intense but it gives you a lot of room to showcase your character and personality.

I have a lot to say about the Duke admissions process but don't have time to go into it right now so please send me a PM! I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about the secondary, the interview, living in Durham (I went to undergrad here too) and the med school admissions process in general (I interviewed at a lot of schools and made some great observations).

p.s. yes, it is best to take a cab from RDU!

Interview invite today!...complete 08/17

Canadian re-applicant (interviewed here last year..was WL post-interview).

Just checked my status. REJECTED.
Ah well... I really liked this school... but I guess it was never meant to be!!!

:cool:

Chuan, I think that you are the poster child of someone getting rejected with great stats because the school did not think that you would attend. Most Princeton undergrads stay in New England... unless their home is somewhere in the South..(or elsewhere)... That is Duke for you (sort of like what goes on with UCSF )

can I ask y'all for your inputs about the humbling experience essay?

is it better to talk about:
1) clinical experience-i had the opportunity to interact with TB patients, more lessons learned more relevant to future interactions with peers/patients.

2) triathlon- lessons learned a little less clinically relevant but shows something unique about me.

thanks!

I got an interview invite!!! Scheduled for 10/19, interview invite 8/30:), complete 8/27

Hello all! I'm still waiting for a response to asking for a skype interview. Has anyone who opted for this option been given/choosen a specific date yet?

Guys,

For one of my recommendations, I don't have an email. What can I do for this?

yes, we have a student hosting program! Get in touch with Jeanine Holland at the office (jholland at duke.edu)...I know the people in my class organizing it.

triathlete, I would go with whichever experience you are most comfortable writing about...whatever you're more passionate about. I'm sure your clinical experience with tb patients will come up elsewhere in the app, so this might be a unique opportunity to discuss training for a triathlon, etc...Duke LOVES athletes. That's all I'll say. ha.

I got an email about the meal preferences on interview day. how many of u are able to choose a side dish and beverage? thx

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg. Interview invite today. Submitted 2 days ago.

So excited!!!!!!!!

This is quite a super reach for me, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Rejected today :oops: Was expecting this as Duke was a reach but would have at least like an interview. Good luck to all who got interviews! Duke looks like a great school :D

Is anyone applying to the Primary Care Leadership Tract?

Is anyone applying to the Primary Care Leadership Tract?

I got that email yesterday and got really excited about it. I'm thinking about applying, but I want to call and get a little more info about how 3rd and 4th years work...for example, do people in the program miss out on other rotations? I don't know if that's a dumb question or not, but it was unclear to me.

I got that email yesterday and got really excited about it. I'm thinking about applying, but I want to call and get a little more info about how 3rd and 4th years work...for example, do people in the program miss out on other rotations? I don't know if that's a dumb question or not, but it was unclear to me.

I actually had a similar question-- it looked to me like you miss out on a few weeks in some rotations, like pediatrics, which concerned me... Let us know what you hear when you call! :)

All right, I'm going to blame this on the fact that it's 2am, but Duke's app is the last secondary I have to submit, and I can't for the life of me find out any information about how many letters of rec they want and from whom they want them :rolleyes:... All of you who have submitted... help? :oops:

All right, I'm going to blame this on the fact that it's 2am, but Duke's app is the last secondary I have to submit, and I can't for the life of me find out any information about how many letters of rec they want and from whom they want them :rolleyes:... All of you who have submitted... help? :oops:

That is a good question!

I am pretty sure they don't even ask for LORs until after you interview. So you are good for now:)

I interviewed here last year and from my experience Jeanine will ask to confirm your letters are in on interview day and you will have a week or so to make sure they are all in.

Has anyone interviewed there yet? If so, how was it?

Hey everyone! Current Duke MS4 here, remembering what it was like to be in your shoes just a few years ago. :)

We just had an admissions committee meeting last night, and there was a lot of talk about the PCLT. I'm personally not going into primary care, but I honestly think it would be a great opportunity for people who are really interested in primary care.

Basically our traditional second year curriculum is: internal medicine (8 weeks, all inpatient, 4 weeks each at a different hospital), general surgery (8 weeks, with 1 week anesthesia/anatomy primer, 2 weeks each on three surgical specialties, 1 week for study), pediatrics (6 weeks, with 3 weeks each on inpatient and outpatient), ob/gyn (6 weeks, 1 week each at various inpatient/outpatient sites), family medicine (4 weeks, can be anywhere in NC), and psychiatry (4 weeks on an inpatient/consult service).

The PCLT has 9 months of a longitudinal 2nd year, with students seeing an integrated panel of outpatients in medicine, pediatrics, psych, ob/gyn, etc., with special faculty preceptors. The remaining 3 months are 4 weeks each on inpatient internal medicine, inpatient pediatrics, and inpatient gen surg.

Third and fourth years are basically not that different for the two programs, except that the PCLT people would be expected to do their third-year research in primary-care-related fields, and choose fourth-year electives that would prepare them for a career in primary care.

And to address a couple issues I saw brought up:
1. We do read your applications... over, and over, and over again. Don't slouch on those secondaries (although I guess I don't need to tell you guys that!).
2. If you haven't heard back yet about an interview, while others have, don't despair. Some interview screeners may be faster than others, and sometimes an application requires further review.

Anyways, best of luck to all of you. Feel free to post or PM me, and I can tell you about how amazing Duke is. :)

Interview Invite today

4.0 GPA/ 36Q MCAT
Complete 8/03

It's been a month since I have heard any good news, and this is my second interview. I am so pumped. Duke is awesome.

Hey everyone! Current Duke MS4 here, remembering what it was like to be in your shoes just a few years ago. :)

We just had an admissions committee meeting last night, and there was a lot of talk about the PCLT. I'm personally not going into primary care, but I honestly think it would be a great opportunity for people who are really interested in primary care.

Basically our traditional second year curriculum is: internal medicine (8 weeks, all inpatient, 4 weeks each at a different hospital), general surgery (8 weeks, with 1 week anesthesia/anatomy primer, 2 weeks each on three surgical specialties, 1 week for study), pediatrics (6 weeks, with 3 weeks each on inpatient and outpatient), ob/gyn (6 weeks, 1 week each at various inpatient/outpatient sites), family medicine (4 weeks, can be anywhere in NC), and psychiatry (4 weeks on an inpatient/consult service).

The PCLT has 9 months of a longitudinal 2nd year, with students seeing an integrated panel of outpatients in medicine, pediatrics, psych, ob/gyn, etc., with special faculty preceptors. The remaining 3 months are 4 weeks each on inpatient internal medicine, inpatient pediatrics, and inpatient gen surg.

Third and fourth years are basically not that different for the two programs, except that the PCLT people would be expected to do their third-year research in primary-care-related fields, and choose fourth-year electives that would prepare them for a career in primary care.

And to address a couple issues I saw brought up:
1. We do read your applications... over, and over, and over again. Don't slouch on those secondaries (although I guess I don't need to tell you guys that!).
2. If you haven't heard back yet about an interview, while others have, don't despair. Some interview screeners may be faster than others, and sometimes an application requires further review.

Anyways, best of luck to all of you. Feel free to post or PM me, and I can tell you about how amazing Duke is. :)

Ahhh, thank you so much for the info. I've been having a hard time getting anyone on the phone regarding this program. Now I just need to figute out how to apply :p

Interview Invite today

4.0 GPA/ 36Q MCAT
Complete 8/03

It's been a month since I have heard any good news, and this is my second interview. I am so pumped. Duke is awesome.

Congrats!

Ouch, got rejected this morning. Oh well, good luck to the rest! :luck:

after the interview invite, do we get a separate email asking for recommendations? i have one that is a letter (ie. not thru VirtualEvals) so he would need to send it directly, but don't want to ask him to do it too soon...

Duke interviewees, shoot me a PM before you arrive...I'd love to drop by the admissions office and meet as many of you as possible!!

Anyone else interviewing on the 27th? I'm so excited!

what's there to do in the area for a day before/after the interview? good Q joints?

hey everyone! i just interviewed, PM me if you want to know what my experience was like!

suerte!

what's there to do in the area for a day before/after the interview? good Q joints?

Not really any good bbq within walking distance. There's Q shack which is delicious but it's like 5 miles off campus so unless you'll have access to a car, too far. Durham public transportation is not the best. Ninth street (off east campus, the buses take you there) and Main street/Brightleaf square have good restaurants/bars. Elmo's on ninth street is one of my favorites, great cafe for breakfast/brunch the day after your interview and has been around forever. Parker and Otis on main has great local/fresh foods and sandwiches. Nasher art museum is nice, and it's on campus and has a good cafe attached to it. Not too much fun stuff to do in Durham though. I would suggest walking around the campus(es) and gardens and taking it all in, it's beautiful.

is it not safe to walk around durham?

it's fine in the daytime, at night it's not very smart to walk around by yourself. on campus is generally good, they have their own security. But anywhere off campus you're on your own. students have been robbed at gun/knife point in places very close to campus. it's not the most dangerous city, but it has its share of undesirable characters, so don't take chances.

Hello all! I'm still waiting for a response to asking for a skype interview. Has anyone who opted for this option been given/choosen a specific date yet?

Just saw your post. I had my virtual interview last week, and I received my interview invite pretty early - August 2nd. It took about 6 weeks before I received any word on scheduling the actual interview. Don't sweat it too much.

Just interviewed today and LOVED it. Feel free to PM if you wanna know anything about the day or my experience. :)

did anyone interviewing in oct hear from student hosts? Alsos did anyone hear back from the PCLT program?

Those of you who got rejected - did it come in email, snail mail, or what?

Thanks!

How many interviewers did you have and how long were the interviews?

2 interviews--one faculty and one student. One was 30 min, the other was about 35-40.

They were much more laid back than I had expected. It was really comfortable, and everyone is so nice! Just be yourself. They were both fun conversations.

Also to the people who PMed me, I'll get back to you soon! I'm super busy these next few days, but I'll make sure to write you back!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.