2010-2011 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so excited for this!!!! but they're only accepting 40 students, for there first year at least

I will be applying to this med. school..it's just 25 minute drive from my house.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a little surprised when I read their financial aid page and they didn't offer any incentive to be a part of their inaugural class. Anyone heard of any discounts offered to their first class?

i am intrigued....but probably not enough to justify a $100 secondary without knowing too much about the school.

A class of 40 in a brand new school sounds very interesting. I might apply here. I just need to do a bit more research on it first.

from what ive heard, there are no discounts for the first class:(

Will apply here. New school shd be less competitive!

In Partnership with the North Shore – LIJ Health System.

Wonder if I get a discount as a student in the undergrad? :rolleyes: Most likely not.

Will apply here. New school shd be less competitive!

I don't know about that. It's possible, but with all these SDNers applying to massive numbers of schools, I'm guessing a lot of people will add this one as a safety. It makes me wonder what the school will decide to use as secondary prompts and what kind of deposit they will require.

It's $100 secondary fee. Personally, I have been more impressed my Oakland and Virgina Tech new program... but that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
n = X - 1... Works for me.

haha now that seems like a challenge. Though I'm not liking that $100 fee still... considering their website does a wordy description of their program (so I guess I got some reading to do tomorrow).

haha now that seems like a challenge. Though I'm not liking that $100 fee still... considering their website does a wordy description of their program (so I guess I got some reading to do tomorrow).

I think Hofstra has been running residency training programs for a while now, and they are finally venturing into the basic medical training. Their website makes it sound like you'll get a lot of clinical exposure earlier on, which is always a plus.

The North Shore is highly respected up here - that's a big mark in their favor.

OK. Thanks for the info. I'm too much from the midwest to know any of this -- I've been trying to figure out how I have even heard of Hofstra.... but I have... magically.

they are also requiring that their students become a certified EMT-B in order to volunteer on the ambulance at north shore, which is pretty cool

any other new med schools besides hofstra?

they are also requiring that their students become a certified EMT-B in order to volunteer on the ambulance at north shore, which is pretty cool

Whoa!!! That is soo frickin' AWESOME!!!!

Figured I'd toss in some hype for Hofstra, since some people from there have been Case Western recently. Hofstra's curriculum is going to be very similar to Case's, in that there will be the whole innovative PBL/small groups stuff and organ system organization. If you think Case's program is a fit for you, be sure to apply here too! The people seemed really nice :)

will it be more or less competitive you think?

will it be more or less competitive you think?

I'm not quite sure how competitive new schools are in their first year. Probably a toss-up! I'd say if you're competitive for most mid-tier private schools you probably would have a good shot at getting noticed here.

It seems that when some of these schools open up, so many people apply to them as safeties that they actually become highly competitive due to the large number of applicants. I think here it won't be as competitive because there won't be scholarships for entering first years, but who knows?!

Is North Shore a high quality, well established medical center? I feel like it is. Does anyone actually know though?

The AAMC seemed to think so, haha. If it is good enough to get accreditation, it is quality enough for me.

Is North Shore a high quality, well established medical center? I feel like it is. Does anyone actually know though?
North Shore is a very good medical center. It's pretty well known in NYC and Long Island.

North Shore-LIJ is a well known institution in the greater metropolitan area. Its great that Hofstra will be linked up with them, and its a stone toss away from the school. A few schools already do rotations there, such as Albert Einstein and NYCOM, iirc. So the clinical sites are no problem, they're well established locations in the area. (For some reason I think Mt. Sinai also sends some students here. The only question is will this cause crowding? How do the coordinate this?) It will be interesting to see how competitive the initial class with be. I would imagine being that Hofstra is an established university in the tri-state area (and people elsewhere in the country may know about it because of the odd football player from there that makes it into the NFL) that it will be more competitive than some of the lone med school start ups recently, and the small class size will allow them to concentrate the competitiveness of the applicants to give them a strong initial class. Will it be as competitive as when the new Florida schools opened up who gave a full scholarship? That remains to be seen.

Does anyone know when Hofstra is going to send out their secondary application?

Hopefully soon! You would think it would be out already.

I'm guessing that as a new school it is taking a while to get their ducks in order prior to sending out secondaries, because as soon as they send them out their systems are going to be inundated with secondaries.

I'm guessing that as a new school it is taking a while to get their ducks in order prior to sending out secondaries, because as soon as they send them out their systems are going to be inundated with secondaries.

haha probably true and of course with thousands of secondaries come phone calls and emails from people wanting status checks.

I wonder if they're screening for secondaries. Have new schools screened in the past?

Just got the secondary, though I can't log in :(.

33/3.5.

Received secondary email OOS 3.65/33 mcat.
Unable to log in for now.

I also just got the secondary invite, but cannot log in with their instructions.

31/3.9

In case anyone is wondering, the wording of the email implies they screen. Also I tried different browsers and it still isn't letting me log in.

In case anyone is wondering, the wording of the email implies they screen. Also I tried different browsers and it still isn't letting me log in.

Hmm, wondering if anyone didn't get it.

That's the impression I got as well. I can't log in either.

I can't log in either.

+1

From their website:

"Applicants are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and 24 on the MCAT to receive an invitation to complete the supplemental application."

Status
Not open for further replies.