2010-2011 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw fireup on the downstate board where he was wait listed and then got in.

Members don't see this ad.

Fireitup, is entitled to his/her opinion. I don't think we need to flame this person because you disagree. I think we can all agree the process is frustrating and sometimes unpredictable, and wears on us, but just because we are frustrated, not a good idea to flame another member.
Good luck to all.

I just received an email offering me an acceptance off the preferred waitlist. I have a week to decide... definitely a difficult decision :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an email offering me an acceptance off the preferred waitlist. I have a week to decide... definitely a difficult decision :confused:

EmLems11, I hope you got my spot!!! I was just about to update those who were interested that I did end up withdrawing my spot that I was offered last week due to another waitlist acceptance at what had been my #1 choice since day 1.

Congrats and good luck with the decision!:thumbup:

For anyone interested, Hofstra-NSLIJ was just approved for the second $12.5 million payment of an original $25 million grant from NYS. The money will be used to build an extension to the medical school. The article is on Newsday, although it requires either OOL or a subscription.

Well currently the entire Hofstra Med school is basically one tiny building. Building another building is very expensive especially if its medical related. They definitely will need that money!

Did anyone else get an email asking them to return for a second interview because they have "some questions we feel our interviewers did not address as well as they would have liked"? Not sure what to think of it....

Did anyone else get an email asking them to return for a second interview because they have "some questions we feel our interviewers did not address as well as they would have liked"? Not sure what to think of it....

I did not get an email and am currently sitting on the preferred alternate list...interesting. I would say they must be interested in you and if you were willing to travel out there this late in the game, they would likely reimburse you with an acceptance (as long as you didn't completely screw up the second interview). Just my thought, could be completely inaccurate.

Are you on the preferred alternate list?

Any new acceptances today?

I'm still waiting on the preferred alt list

I did not get an email and am currently sitting on the preferred alternate list...interesting. I would say they must be interested in you and if you were willing to travel out there this late in the game, they would likely reimburse you with an acceptance (as long as you didn't completely screw up the second interview). Just my thought, could be completely inaccurate.

Are you on the preferred alternate list?

Thanks for the response, I hope you're right :confused:! Yes, I am on the preferred alternate list...

Just accepted off the pref alternate list!!!!!!
100% certainly absolutely attending. See you in August!

Edit: could someone PM me the link to the Facebook group? Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
At what point do I decide to reapply and no longer bank on being taken off the alternate list?

At what point do I decide to reapply and no longer bank on being taken off the alternate list?

right now...unless you are going to do something to greatly improve your application

You might want to start working on your app, but I wouldn't send it in and spend the money until late July. There's no reason to send it in any earlier.

couldn't find any stats data or on number of interviews, etc. on msar or usnews, can someone help? i'd be OOS. i know the class size is only 40 and can't expand right now. anyone have an idea of what kinds of student they like based on their first class makeup? thanks!

couldn't find any stats data or on number of interviews, etc. on msar or usnews, can someone help? i'd be OOS. i know the class size is only 40 and can't expand right now. anyone have an idea of what kinds of student they like based on their first class makeup? thanks!

next year will be 60 students...

Various admin involved in the med school told me a few weeks ago that it's still 60 students in the next class.

oh, i read in another thread it was 40, my bad. could someone give me a general impression of stats for OOS (maybe ranges would help b/c mine are kind of low)? or general impressions of whether hofstra is numbers-focused or what kinds of students the seem to like based on last yr's class? tryign to decide whether to apply this yr -- thanks!

I was accepted at Hofstra off the waitlist, although I will not be matriculating. I had a 33/3.8 OOS. I noticed that they show some regional preference, although I suspect this is due to self-selection. I heard that once you are granted an interview that your numbers do not mean as much. At the interview, one was blind to my numbers, while the other interview had my entire file. My interviewers seemed interested in getting to know me as a person and determining whether I would strive in their innovative curriculum. There are looking for self-learners and individuals who work well in a group. My interviewers were very low key (we talked about sports, beer, etc, etc.). Others may have different experiences than myself, but I think they are just looking for individuals they think can succeed in their curriculum.

I was just accepted off the pref. waitlist, but I'll probably be withdrawing since I'm pretty set with where I'll be attending. I still need a day or so before I do though.

I was just accepted off the pref. waitlist, but I'll probably be withdrawing since I'm pretty set with where I'll be attending. I still need a day or so before I do though.

Just let us know when you send in the withdrawal :)

@edge: Though I won't be matriculating at Hofstra, I went to the accepted students weekend in April. There seemed to be a really well rounded bunch there, quite a few non-traditional, and definitely not solely numbers-based or undergrad institution-based. They say they pick people who they think will be open to the new curriculum and excited about starting something new. I'm OOS, 3.7/40.

I wonder how many spots are still unsecured. Can anyone accepted find this out for us waitlisted peeps? They need a countdown on their site for spots left.

there's at least 39 people confirmed on the my.hofstra website. i'm guessing the acceptance for that last spot is out. sorry bud, the class is pretty much confirmed at this point. maybe 1 or 2 more acceptances at the max if people get off waitlists... wish i had better news for ya.

I wonder how many spots are still unsecured. Can anyone accepted find this out for us waitlisted peeps? They need a countdown on their site for spots left.

there's at least 39 people confirmed on the my.hofstra website. i'm guessing the acceptance for that last spot is out. sorry bud, the class is pretty much confirmed at this point. maybe 1 or 2 more acceptances at the max if people get off waitlists... wish i had better news for ya.

Well better to know than not know. Thanks so much!

When does Hofstra start? I'm on the waitlist and want to know when this waiting will end!

When does Hofstra start? I'm on the waitlist and want to know when this waiting will end!

Orientation starts next Monday the 25th, and classes the Monday after that. Spots are currently filled, we just have to hope someone doesn't show up on the first day and they give that spot to someone on the alternate list.

Just got an email saying the application cycle is closed...sorry fellow waitlisters!
A little relief after a long wait...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.