2010-2011 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! for those of you who did number 4.... how did you interpret it? i wrote about gymnastics and how its been a passion of mine since i was 9 and how i would continue to do gymnastics and watch it on tv and go to meets throughout my career. like my life as a doctor wouldnt get in the way of my love of gymnastics. then my mom read my essay and said actually its supposed to be about how your passion for gymnastics is going to make you a better physician and how your passion translates to how you treat your patients...

so now i'm really confused... what do you guys think?

ooo Ivy I wrote about gymnastics in a lot of my secondaries too (I did acro though not artistic) :) I took it the same way your mom did...why that passion will translate into your life as a physician. However, I still think gymnastics is a great topic because the sport teaches you so many things that apply like discipline, work ethic, time management. I wrote mine about my passion for literature and how that will translate.

Members don't see this ad.

ooo Ivy I wrote about gymnastics in a lot of my secondaries too (I did acro though not artistic) :) I took it the same way your mom did...why that passion will translate into your life as a physician. However, I still think gymnastics is a great topic because the sport teaches you so many things that apply like discipline, work ethic, time management. I wrote mine about my passion for literature and how that will translate.

i guess it makes more sense that way! thanks!!

Looks like they started sending out invites, just received an interview invite via email! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I will be attending the first ever interview session at Hofstra! Hopefully I will be one of the first ever acceptees as well!

Yaaay interview invite!! :D Super excited - would totally love to be part of the very first class ! Scheduled for October 5th, I can't wait!

Interview invite here as well. The subject line of the email is kind've weird, as most status update emails that don't include the word "interview" are holds or rejections. Does anyone know what time the day starts/ends?

Can you guys say when you were complete?

I guess then that I'm passed over at yet another school (I was finished same day it came out). This does not feel good :(.

Congratulations to everyone with interviews - knock it out of the park!

Submitted when it came out in early August.

Interview is from 8-4.

Complete 8/13, interview invite today! :)

Where'd you see the info about the interview day? I haven't scheduled it yet since I need to figure out my work schedule. The website is also being a little glitchy, perhaps because everyone's crashing it at once, haha.

They attach an ics file when you confirm. If you use google calendar you can automatically add the event to your calendar.

I guess then that I'm passed over at yet another school (I was finished same day it came out). This does not feel good :(.

Congratulations to everyone with interviews - knock it out of the park!

Me too. :( Oh well better luck elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview. I was just wondering how does everybody feel about the first day of interviews ever? Do you think there is an advantage to it or a disadvantage?

I didn't get anything, so I'll happily trade for your disadvantage :).

I received an interview invite today, and the only available dates are in october. I want to interview in november though because that is when my other interview is. ( I am trying to save money as they are both in the east coast).

Will it look bad if I call asking about alternative interview dates/

I received an interview invite today, and the only available dates are in october. I want to interview in november though because that is when my other interview is. ( I am trying to save money as they are both in the east coast).

Will it look bad if I call asking about alternative interview dates/

I am your competitor and I wouldn't mind if you called.

They probably would be happy to help you but I'm gonna take what they offer me happily, even if I have to miss my son's Bris.

This interview decides your career and your life. Two trips to New York is better than one. See you in early October!

Congratulations, everyone! Hang tight if you don't have an interview yet. It's still VERY early!

Has anyone confirmed what TIME interview day begins? (trying to fly in and leave same day.)

I thought I had made it really obvious how much I was excited about attending Hofstra. I guess there was something they didn't like. Ah well.

Hoping for a re-review and an interview later.

for those of y'all who got an invite, where are you staying? are any of you staying at a hostel in nyc? i'm kinda holding off from setting a date for the interview for a few days to see if i get another invite from a ny school, so i can consolidate them.. i know nymc is sending out invites now too haha

Congratulations, everyone! Hang tight if you don't have an interview yet. It's still VERY early!

Has anyone confirmed what TIME interview day begins? (trying to fly in and leave same day.)

someone said it's from 8-4 so... haha you'll have to fly in pretty early. i kinda hate how early these interview days start because it prevents me from doing a day trip

someone said it's from 8-4 so... haha you'll have to fly in pretty early. i kinda hate how early these interview days start because it prevents me from doing a day trip

Oh, wow.... Looks like I'm staying with a friend the night before. Thanks for the info!!!

Honestly, this school has become one of my top choices. It seems like they have a really cool curriculum that will be more hands-on, clinically oriented, and more problem solving than other schools. I hope I get accepted here.

congrats to everyone who got interviews. i have not done my secondary yet. hopefully i can finish it within the next week. any tips on writing the essays? i am thinking of doing essay one (the one about problems with new school) and essay 2 (passion). thanks!

a friend of mine was complete 8 30 and got her interview invite today. quite fast.

i completed 9 7, hoping for an invite soon!

I was complete that day too! Hoping for an interview as well! Keep us posted and good luck!

Interview invite today :)

Submitted my secondary on 8/25. Scheduled for an Oct. 5th interview.

Good luck everyone!

anyone know how many people hofstra will interview vs accept

since the class size is 40 people, they'll probably accept double so... around ~80 people. If they're like any other private university they'll probably interview around 1000 people. Even if it's only 500 people, the chances are still very low: only ~16% chance of acceptance. I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to go to the interview. I'll be out 200+ bucks.....The other schools i'll be interviewing at, I'll at least have 30-70% chance of acceptance.

hmmm.....

anyone know how many people hofstra will interview vs accept

since the class size is 40 people, they'll probably accept double so... around ~80 people. If they're like any other private university they'll probably interview around 1000 people. Even if it's only 500 people, the chances are still very low: only ~16% chance of acceptance. I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to go to the interview. I'll be out 200+ bucks.....The other schools i'll be interviewing at, I'll at least have 30-70% chance of acceptance.

hmmm.....

Dude, your logic has about as many holes as a baby seal after a great white feeding frenzy...

Does their secondary ask us to list our prerequisite courses??

I filled out so many applications it's hard to remember, but I'm almost certain they did not ask for the list of pre-reqs.

For those of you interviewing...

#1) Congrats

#2) There is a Marriott hotel next to the Nassau Coliseum which is so close to Hofstra you could walk there (but at 8am you might want to ask for a ride from the hotel). It's Long Island Marriott & Conference Center. If you're trying to just fly in and out with one night stay this is your best bet. Also, FYI the area where this Marriott is located is fine, its kinda corporate right there and goes into a nice neighborhood, but the area past the Hofstra campus is NOT somewhere to go exploring.

I was a postbac at Hofstra and I worked for a firm in the corporate complex there too so I'm very familiar with the area/travel options. If you guys have any questions I'd be happy to answer them for you, just send a message my way!

If you're interviewing on the 5th I'll see ya there! :)

I just spoke to the school. They will be interviewing 800 and accepting approximately 60.

Wow, I sure hope that is not true. If they have a class of 40, I don't understand how they can accept more than 43, since new schools can't overaccept by 10% or more (usually they waitlist everyone and then take the majority of the class from there).

So I got an interview, but am having difficulties arranging transport and such. I could drive down which would alleviate those problems except that it is a 6+ hour drive. I was thinking about flying down, but I would then need transportation from JFK to my hotel.

Is there anyone familiar with the area that knows of a train or bus or subway that goes to the Hofstra area so I wouldn't have to take a taxi or rent a car?

So I got an interview, but am having difficulties arranging transport and such. I could drive down which would alleviate those problems except that it is a 6+ hour drive. I was thinking about flying down, but I would then need transportation from JFK to my hotel.

Is there anyone familiar with the area that knows of a train or bus or subway that goes to the Hofstra area so I wouldn't have to take a taxi or rent a car?

From JFK you could take the AirTrain to Jamaica then the Lomg Island Railroad to Hempstead which is about 1.5 miles from Hofstra. To get back, same route but in reverse. Probably will cost $40 round trip with a cab to and from campus and train.
Also, since you are traveling opposite commuter flow, railroad trains will be infrequent. Train rides would only be about 35 minutes total, but waits in-between will extend your overall time.

why are we believing this?
New schools tend to over-interview. Similar thing happened with FIU a couple of years back. Still 20 interviews for one spot is nearly twice the current high, and is completely implausible.

Anyone think it is a problem if I accidentally assigned 4 letters of rec to Hofstra instead of 3? the site clearly says 3 and does not mention anything about additional letters...

Thanks

Anyone think it is a problem if I accidentally assigned 4 letters of rec to Hofstra instead of 3? the site clearly says 3 and does not mention anything about additional letters...

Thanks

I don't know for a fact if it matters, but my inclination would be to say don't worry about it. I also sent them 4 letters instead of 3 and the chance of them dinging you for having too many supporters is narrow. :luck:

has anyone heard anything about tuition breaks for being the first class, second class, third class, etc?

One of the advisors at my school went to a meeting there and in the advisor's summary email to students it says "the first class will be 40 students and they are giving "good" tuition breaks for the inaugural class." Whatever that means.

has anyone heard anything about tuition breaks for being the first class, second class, third class, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.