* * 2010 - 2011 * * Letter of Recommendation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adamb83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on applying for the upcoming cycle (fall 2011). Currently, I'm in the process of obtaining letters of recommendation from my professors.

Couple questions:

Is there a set format that medical schools require, or should I simply ask my professors to write it as they would write any Letter of recommendation?

Do these need to be sent to medical schools directly, or will I be holding on to these until i send in my application?

Lastly, how many should I obtain? I know a lot of schools don't require more than 2 LOR's. I have 4 professors I'd like to ask, and a fifth if you count the committee letter. Should I ask all of these professors to write one, and simply select the ones I feel are strongest?

Thanks for your time!

Adam

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a set format that medical schools require, or should I simply ask my professors to write it as they would write any Letter of recommendation?
Not that I am aware of, it's just like any other Letter or Recommendations, but make sure to let ur writer know that u r applying to med school, so they can tailor the letter to that purpose... also, don't be shy to provide them with extra info (ie transcript and resume/CV.. assuming they are positive ones.. ie if ur GPA is not so strong, then maybe I won't give them that info) so they know more about u and can have more to write about..
If they are professors.. I am sure they have written LOR for med school before and won't really need more detailed direction.

Do these need to be sent to medical schools directly, or will I be holding on to these until i send in my application?
Yes, schools often request them to be sent directly, as least from my understanding... which make sense.. because if u mail it out, how can they be sure that it's not forged, altered.. etc
But i know almost all schools also accept letter services (such as Interfolio) and will accept them as if they were sent directly by the writer.
It's a great tool and have been discussed in great detail in this forum.
I would highly recommend u looking into that

Lastly, how many should I obtain? I know a lot of schools don't require more than 2 LOR's. I have 4 professors I'd like to ask, and a fifth if you count the committee letter. Should I ask all of these professors to write one, and simply select the ones I feel are strongest?
I would contact all 4 of them and have each one of them write one..
because to be honest, u don't know which one might forgot, too busy, takes forever.. etc..
and it really doesn't hurt to have an extra letter on hand, just in case some school might ask u for more recommendations
u are right, most school ask for either a committee letter or 2-3 individual letters.. but some require a letter from a non-science professor... so I would look into the school that u are intersted in applying and find out their specific LOR requirements
btw..I know almost all school require a physician recommendation.. so I would add that to ur list

Thanks for your time!
no problem. BEST OF LUCK in ur endevor!

Hey,

My post doc teaches all of my graduate level classes or most of them including major classes such as physiology and neuroscience. She also is closely associated with my program.

Would it be OK if she writes me a letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm planning on applying for the upcoming cycle (fall 2011). Currently, I'm in the process of obtaining letters of recommendation from my professors.

Couple questions:

Thanks for your time!

Adam
The last guys post was the correct response minus one thing. You really need to coach your letter writer on what the school your applying to is looking for. Most teachers have a file they bring up and just insert your name. If you want the best letter possible you need to make it personalized. That being said you need to pick your writer carefully and make sure they will take the time to give you a really good, personalized letter.

sorry to hi-jack the thread, but to the DO schools that require a DO LOR, what happens if you dont have one? Should you just not apply to those schools, or apply and hope your other LORs help? I planned on trying to shadow a DO, but i got a great internship opportunity with an MD neuro. He will write me a LOR but I dont know how DO schools will feel about it.

Thanks!

sorry to hi-jack the thread, but to the DO schools that require a DO LOR, what happens if you dont have one? Should you just not apply to those schools, or apply and hope your other LORs help? I planned on trying to shadow a DO, but i got a great internship opportunity with an MD neuro. He will write me a LOR but I dont know how DO schools will feel about it.

Thanks!

The same thing happened to me,
so I only applied to those that didn't require a DO LOR
but honestly, if u applying for the 2010-2011 cycle, u still have plenty of time to shadow a DO...
LOR are not due till u turn in ur secondaries.. which will be likely in August.. this still gives u 3 months! pick up a phone and call upon several DO tmr and u can start shadowing next week! ( i actually called up a DO and started shadowing him the next day!)
I don't know how much time u r committed in shadowing that MD... but even just shadowing a DO for 3-4 hours a week (regardless if that DO will write u a LOR or not).. it'll show the admission committee that at least u have some direct experience with DOs and are not just applying as a back up..
that being said, it's not absolutely necessary to have a DO experience/ LOR..
I applied to 6 DO schools with only a MD LOR and got interview from 5 of them...so...it's possible
anyways, good luck!

The same thing happened to me,
so I only applied to those that didn't require a DO LOR
but honestly, if u applying for the 2010-2011 cycle, u still have plenty of time to shadow a DO...
LOR are not due till u turn in ur secondaries.. which will be likely in August.. this still gives u 3 months! pick up a phone and call upon several DO tmr and u can start shadowing next week! ( i actually called up a DO and started shadowing him the next day!)
I don't know how much time u r committed in shadowing that MD... but even just shadowing a DO for 3-4 hours a week (regardless if that DO will write u a LOR or not).. it'll show the admission committee that at least u have some direct experience with DOs and are not just applying as a back up..
that being said, it's not absolutely necessary to have a DO experience/ LOR..
I applied to 6 DO schools with only a MD LOR and got interview from 5 of them...so...it's possible
anyways, good luck!

i just scrub in for surgeries every friday with the MD.

I want to start shadowing a DO because the schools I want to apply to mostly (southern states) require a DO LOR!! figures...How long do you think I should shadow him before asking for a LOR?

i just scrub in for surgeries every friday with the MD.

I want to start shadowing a DO because the schools I want to apply to mostly (southern states) require a DO LOR!! figures...How long do you think I should shadow him before asking for a LOR?

scrub in for surgeries :eek:!!!! wow... must be some unique experiences!
the closest I got to see a real surgery is a C-section with one of the doc that i was shadowing...
anyways... when to ask a LOR is really tricky.... it depends on ur comfort level and from ur interaction with that doc...
I really dont have a straight answer for that one... personally, I asked my doc when I felt that we are more than just 2 strangers.. i actually got to know him a little bit more (ie family, why become a doctor, his medical journey... etc) before I ask... but that's just me...
good luck!

scrub in for surgeries :eek:!!!! wow... must be some unique experiences!
the closest I got to see a real surgery is a C-section with one of the doc that i was shadowing...
anyways... when to ask a LOR is really tricky.... it depends on ur comfort level and from ur interaction with that doc...
I really dont have a straight answer for that one... personally, I asked my doc when I felt that we are more than just 2 strangers.. i actually got to know him a little bit more (ie family, why become a doctor, his medical journey... etc) before I ask... but that's just me...
good luck!

yah i will say it's a very exciting gig!! I got very lucky to get this internship with such an amazing surgeon. However, I just want to make sure I dont ask him too soon...but I still want it to be before application cycle :) haha

a post-doc means they already have their doctorate, so yeah.

In case people haven't noticed ... someone made an account called 'JagerPlate' ... my name is 'JaggerPlate.' This person copied my avatar and status, and is now trying to post as me on the forums.

I apologize ... I know who the troll is, and he/she will be banned shortly.

Members don't see this ad :)
he's right. i will be banned. my posts may be removed. however, i just want him to know that he has low scores across the board and spends way too much time on a certain site. maybe that's why he will go to the type of school that he will go to. i like when he fights for the degree. he will have to do this on this website and in life for eternity.

Eternity??? Wow. It's funny how easy you were to spot. You're a bad troll. Plus, I guarantee my scores were above yours. 100% guarantee.

You actually kind of made my day. It's not everyday you get your own SDN stalker. I must be doing something right.

I got a LOR from my post doc and both she and my PI signed it. If you can get the PI to sign it too that'll be a bonus!

MedicineMike, what I would do, is when you contact the DO you want to shadow, tell them straight up that you are interested in applying to a DO school and would like to earn a LOR from them to accompany your application. Every DO has had to do this for their own applications, so you'll probably just have to do a similar amount of time that they did in order to get their own letter of rec from a DO.

For me, the DO I shadowed wrote me a letter after shadowing him for ~5 hours...All he had to do to get his letter was sit down with a DO for 15 mins and talk about what Osteopathic Medicine was.
Iv also had another DO offer to let me shadow her on a regular basis and she promised to write me a letter when I needed it...So, its going to differ for each individual. But, definately let them know ahead of time that your goal is to earn a LOR from them for an Osteopathic Medical school.

DOs seem to be extremely nice and willing to do what ever you need when they hear your interested in becoming a DO.

MedicineMike, what I would do, is when you contact the DO you want to shadow, tell them straight up that you are interested in applying to a DO school and would like to earn a LOR from them to accompany your application. Every DO has had to do this for their own applications, so you'll probably just have to do a similar amount of time that they did in order to get their own letter of rec from a DO.

For me, the DO I shadowed wrote me a letter after shadowing him for ~5 hours...All he had to do to get his letter was sit down with a DO for 15 mins and talk about what Osteopathic Medicine was.
Iv also had another DO offer to let me shadow her on a regular basis and she promised to write me a letter when I needed it...So, its going to differ for each individual. But, definately let them know ahead of time that your goal is to earn a LOR from them for an Osteopathic Medical school.

DOs seem to be extremely nice and willing to do what ever you need when they hear your interested in becoming a DO.

Wow, thanks for the excellent advice! I will definitely try this out and see how it goes!

DOs and pre-DOs are soo helpful around here!!

Hello Everyone! I am brand new to SDN, and did not see a thread for this topic. I am applying this upcoming cycle, and attend a University that is for some reason not familiar with Committee Letters (New Dean of Science).

So my question is, Are any of you familiar with the format of a committee letter? I have done research and know that it needs to be 2 science and 1 liberal arts. I already know who is putting it together, but he is unsure of how to go about it. Any suggestions on how to get this put together would be nice!

Hello everyone. I am a reapplicant and only applied to MD schools last year but this year I am applying to DO schools as well. I will be jobshadowing a DO physician next week and it will only be short term which means I most likely will not be able to get him to write me a letter of recommendation. How necessary is it to have a letter from a DO when applying to an osteopathic school? Are my chances drastically lowered because of this? I will have a letter from a MD though. Also, should I just go ahead and submit my application with an mcat score of 25? I'm retaking the mcat next month.

Thank you!!

Mcat: 25 -retaking next month
Cumm. GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.6
Extracurriculars: Jobshadowed 3 doctors, volunteered in 5 departments at 2 hospitals, tutor, publication, research in bio and org chem, poster presenter at 2 conferences for research, etc.

Hello everyone. I am a reapplicant and only applied to MD schools last year but this year I am applying to DO schools as well. I will be jobshadowing a DO physician next week and it will only be short term which means I most likely will not be able to get him to write me a letter of recommendation. How necessary is it to have a letter from a DO when applying to an osteopathic school? Are my chances drastically lowered because of this? I will have a letter from a MD though. Also, should I just go ahead and submit my application with an mcat score of 25? I'm retaking the mcat next month.

Thank you!!

Extracurriculars: Jobshadowed 3 doctors, volunteered in 5 departments at 2 hospitals, tutor, publication, research in bio and org chem, poster presenter at 2 conferences for research, etc.

I would retake the MCAT.

With regard to the LOR, you don't need one for all DO schools. However, you will have many more options if you have one. I don't think a short term shadowing experience with a doc would preclude him from writing a letter for you. You wouldn't lose anything by asking. I would. Good luck!

Thank you!!

definitely ask for a letter. If he says no, then whatever, but he might say yes and it'll make your life a lot easier. Some DO schools do not REQUIRE it, however they strongly recommend it, which means that other applicants who do have a LoR from a DO may be put ahead of you when comparing applications.

Retake the MCAT, however, if your sci/cum GPA's are in the 3.4 area or above and you have some stronng ECs then you have a good chance of landing some interviews with your current MCAT. Good luck!

I was wondering if I can count a psych professor LOR for one of my science LORs? The Psych class that I took from him was Advanced Neurophysiology and is taught primarily for Neuroscience majors, but I'm not sure its explicitly cross-listed. Can I still use it?

Quick question for the vets:

I graduated last May and have been working, I am getting LOR from previous professors who knew me well. Should I be concerned that I haven't had direct contact with them in the past ten months or so? I think they hold more weight (knowing them 3+ years, thesis advisor, and research mentor) than say the volunteer directors at the hospitals I volunteer at, or my boss of ten months.

Any thoughts? Will this significantly harm my application?

Posted this in pre-allo:

our letter service has two LOR forms to give our writers. One is with a ranking grid (space to rank the student in different categories like intellectual potential, creativity, communication, maturity, etc). I read that they encourage this form to be used for medical school since we don't have a premed committee and thus, aren't compared to other students in any other way.

Has anyone else used this form? Is it a big deal if I don't? Any adcom/LOR-reader people able to comment on which is preferred?

Last edited:
I am applying this summer to medical school and was wondering what you all thought about my situation for letters of recommendation. My dad, who is an osteopathic physician and graduated from WVSOM has written me a letter. My dad is THE biggest influence of me and why I want to become a doctor. I am also considering one from my uncle who is head of the family practice residency program here in Roanoke, Va (he also graduated from WVSOM, which is on my top two choice schools). I have a couple other letters from faculty but I was wondering what you guys thought about this. Should I send in the two from my family? Or do you think that would be looked down upon?

I am applying this summer to medical school and was wondering what you all thought about my situation for letters of recommendation. My dad, who is an osteopathic physician and graduated from WVSOM has written me a letter. My dad is THE biggest influence of me and why I want to become a doctor. I am also considering one from my uncle who is head of the family practice residency program here in Roanoke, Va (he also graduated from WVSOM, which is on my top two choice schools). I have a couple other letters from faculty but I was wondering what you guys thought about this. Should I send in the two from my family? Or do you think that would be looked down upon?

Letter from family members aren't going to count - medical schools will be supremely unimpressed. Big surprise, your dad has nice things to say about you.

Get letters from professors and shadow a DO to get a letter from.

I obviously know they most likely will read it and expect the things the letter says. I understand that. I am going to get another letter from a D.O. But, I just thought because they are so close in affiliation to the school, that maybe it wouldnt hurt.

i wouldn't send letters from immediate family members. i WOULD mention which family members graduated from which osteopathic school in your personal statement. also mention how this influenced your life.

if you do want to send letters from immediate family, i would maybe have your dad and uncle send letters directly to WVSOM admissions, and not to all osteopathic schools.

I agree with everyone else here, those letters will not carry any weight with the admissions committee. Like sonofva said, if your family influenced you heavily then talk about it in your personal statement. There will also be a spot on the primary and probably the secondary for wvsom that lets you indicate that your family members are alums of the school. You really need to get letters from professors and physicians who are not related to you.

I would not send the letters from your dad and uncle at all. There are better ways to mention that your father and uncle both graduated from there, perhaps in the WVSOM secondary.

hey guys, I got a quick question here. I am new to the DO thing here, and I was wondering if the letter of recommendation is electronic or snail mail on the DO application? Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Andrew

Long-time lurker, 1st time poster... be kind

OK, i have a question about one of my LORs from science professors... My research mentor is an MD/PhD on the faculty at the Medical School associated with my undergraduate institution, and has been my "instructor" and has given me grades for 2 biotechnology courses over the past year. He is a huge badass and really likes me for some reason and can't wait to write a great LOR for me (he said I'm the best thing "since sliced bread" - I'm really not, I mess up experiments all the time, but we've become very close)

But anyway, does this constitute a LOR from a science faculty member?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen

hey guys, I got a quick question here. I am new to the DO thing here, and I was wondering if the letter of recommendation is electronic or snail mail on the DO application? Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Andrew

Hey Andrew, the best way I've found to manage my LORs (after trial and error with a LOR service at my college) is interfolio. You're writers will only have to send 1 copy of their letter to Interfolio, and then you can designate to which schools each letter goes to, and whether to send it via snail mail or electronically (i think... i actually won't be using the "send" feature until June)

Every school I'm applying to accepts electronic copies sent through Interfolio.

In concurrence with those above, your letters should be a demonstration of your rapport beyond your friends and family tree. Flex your favor wrangling network skills and drum up some past professional ties, preferably esteemed ones. Colleagues are good but those with an executive sounding job title usually write the best LOR's. They love to show off their management speak with glowing reviews, usually divulging what they'd like someone else to say about them. For some reason they also feel it reflects positively on them. Asking those not in that position of power but whom still may have seen you as competent and capable of taking command of a situation when you were left in charge can sign their name below the awesome letter you write for yourself. But mainly you want to steer clear of appearing to ride those coattails any longer.

Why not have your dad talk you up to one of his colleagues and see if you can nab a letter from one of them? But yeah, don't send a letter from Daddy, though you should mention how influential he has been in your P.S.

I was wondering if I can count a psych professor LOR for one of my science LORs? The Psych class that I took from him was Advanced Neurophysiology and is taught primarily for Neuroscience majors, but I'm not sure its explicitly cross-listed. Can I still use it?

Sorry, Psychology is a Behavioral Science. Not only does it not count toward your sGPA (unless it's Physiological Psych), it's a no-go on the science LOR portion. However, it counts as your non-science one. I'm a Psych major, so I feel your pain. Best of Luck!

I shadowed an Osteopathic Physician back in August and it was one of the better shadowing experiences that I have had and I learned a lot from him. Since that time I haven't been in contact with him too much, would it be inappropriate to ask him for a letter of recommendation seeing how its been over a half year since I have shadowed him. Also, I plan on shadowing this physician again this summer.

I shadowed an Osteopathic Physician back in August and it was one of the better shadowing experiences that I have had and I learned a lot from him. Since that time I haven't been in contact with him too much, would it be inappropriate to ask him for a letter of recommendation seeing how its been over a half year since I have shadowed him. Also, I plan on shadowing this physician again this summer.

I would, especially if you are going to shadow him again this summer. LOR's aren't needed until secondaries, so if you start soon you still have about 2 months to shadow him before you have to ask.

How many LOR's does everybody plan on having? I was thinking 5 or 6. I have 3 from professor's since my school doesn't have a premedical committee.

How many LOR's does everybody plan on having? I was thinking 5 or 6. I have 3 from professor's since my school doesn't have a premedical committee.

I was suprised when I called LECOM-B and they said the average is 7-10. So I have reconsidered mine. I have LOR's from:

1. physics prof
2. chem prof
3. MD I work with
4. DO I have shadowed
5. Head faculty of my master's program
6. OB Director at the hospital that I worked under for 10 years
7. a peer

I could easily find multiple physicians to write them for me but they would all be ob/gyn physicians and I don't want to kill a horse with repitition. I wanted a variety of voices expressing my character.

Is there anyone who is only going to be sending 2 letters? I have one from my pre-med committee (which is a compilation of 7 letters) and one from the DO I shadow. Is it really necessary to send more or would I be fine with just 2? Thanks!

If I don't have a letter of rec from a DO am I screwed? I'm a non traditional student, am married, and work over 40 hours a week. I don't think I could shadow a DO effectively as our work hours over lap.

Hi there,

I see that you are very busy, but is your primary care physician a DO? Or maybe some shadowing hours on the weekend? You wouldn't really be screwed unless you apply to a DO school that REQUIRES and letter from a DO or MD. I hate it for you, but what about shadowing a hospital doctor? They work 24-7

best of luck

I am in a similar position. One thing that I am trying that may help you, is looking for DO's who work at Doc-in-a-Box's. While its not necessarily an ideal place to shadow, they are open on Saturday and Sunday, usually. I did take a sick day as well just to make sure I got in at least one day of shadowing at a FP clinic. Hope this helps. :oops:

If I don't have a letter of rec from a DO am I screwed? I'm a non traditional student, am married, and work over 40 hours a week. I don't think I could shadow a DO effectively as our work hours over lap.

A lot of schools don't specifically require a LOR from a DO to apply, granted, if you can get one it broadens where you can apply to. Perhaps you could track down a DO who happens to work evenings or weekends (granted this may be a bit of a strain working full-time and being married) that would be willing to let you shadow them?

Try an urgent care center or community clinic and do a couple evenings? It's not a killer to lack a DO letter for most schools, but having one will definitely help.