2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you live? I live a few minutes away from LSU new Orleans and didn't get anything in the mail today. Idk....

I also live about a few minutes from new orleans and nothing yet...:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

As far as a committee is concerned. It's probably a bigger issue if you were eligible to use the committee, but decided not to. They may question why you didn't.

But if you can't use the committee or are ineligible, it probably is a non-issue. I mean, you can't really do anything about that.

And honestly, in some cases, it might be beneficial NOT to have a letter from the committee. When I interviewed at LSU-Shreveport, I was told that the committee is not afraid to come down hard in the letter in regards to certain applicants they don't feel are qualified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you used a committee letter in the past, though?

I'm sure there's someone out there who used the committee their second time and got in, but it probably wasn't the deciding factor.

That said, if you read through LSU Shreveport's FAQ, somewhere there's a part like:

Q: My school has a pre-med committee. Should I go to them?

A: Why not? We think you're weird if you don't.

Q: But they don't know who I am.

A: That doesn't reflect well on you, now, does it?

I was* on the fence about this myself; I ended up getting a committee letter after only a 3-semester postbac. I don't really know what they say (although if your professors give you good recs I strongly doubt they will disagree) but I knew that everyone else from the same school was going through the committee, and I didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

*not that I've been accepted yet or anything, but I agree with those who say you should do it if eligible and not worry about it otherwise. My undergrad didn't even have a committee, they maintain that their fearsome academic reputation obviates any additional cheerleading.

Last edited:
I really hope I get my letter tomorrow and its not NFA! I've gotten 2 NFAs already lol...don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

Have you used a committee letter in the past, though?

Yes, I first applied in summer 2008 so I used the LSU BR committee in Spring 2008. That year I was wait-listed and began a two year masters program. When I skipped the 2009-2010 application cycle, LSU BR destroyed my committee letter, so I had to have individual evaluations submitted to AMCAS.

I believe committee letters are more useful for applicants from outside Louisiana where the LSU SOM admissions committee is not as familiar with the science classes compared to classes at the in-state universities. But that's only my best guess.

Were NFA files even reviewed at the March 25 meeting? (meaning people who have been NFA for several months)

Nothing today for me neither. I hope that's a good thing.

I just recently had my interview a few weeks ago and this is what Dr. Eubanks told us..

- They met this past Friday and will mail out acceptance letters Tuesday and no further action letters Wednesday of this week. This mail out will be their biggest acceptance mail out bc they have to offer the rest of their spots (about half)

Hope this helps

So, I guess that this might not have been correct since there aren't almost any posts of acceptance in the past week. There were no posts on this sort of last meeting acceptances being given out in any other years, as well. In fact, I was in a group where Dr. Eubanks also mentioned March 15th as the final date that spots had to be given out. Therefore, almost all of the spots must have actually been given out on the Feb. 25th meeting? It still doesn't make much sense yet but good luck to others who are waiting like me; i'm guessing that all of us will be stuck in nfa limbo indefinetly.:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody interviewing on Thursday? I just signed up to give an interview tour. I didn't even know we did interviews on Thursday - must be something new to squeeze in a few more.

It's the packet with all the paper work we have to fill out (like immunization info, etc)

Ok guys, I just called admissions. I interviewed on Feb 14. She said they won't send a letter every time they meet and that I should get a letter in May. So I'm pretty sure that that means that it will either be a wait list letter or an acceptance letter. Hope that helps for all of you in my same situation. :xf::)

Ok guys, I just called admissions. I interviewed on Feb 14. She said they won't send a letter every time they meet and that I should get a letter in May. So I'm pretty sure that that means that it will either be a wait list letter or an acceptance letter. Hope that helps for all of you in my same situation. :xf::)

Hey, I interviewed same day.

My understanding (which could be incorrect) was that acceptance letters are still going out as spots open up; the may letters will represent the most movement simply because most will be rejected and the rest waitlisted. (I didn't hear anything last cycle between my first "acceptable list" response in March and my rejection letter mid-June)

Anyone who's heard different feel free to correct me, I wasn't under the impression that they waited on sending out the acceptances in April-May.

I understand your point and I am not sure of how this works too much either. My only confusion comes in because they are giving out interviews all the way up until April 23. It is only April 5, so They could not have issued all their spots yet before they have even finished interviewing candidates. They could but that means that they are interviewing people just to put them on the waiting list, maybe. I'm not sure. If any of you guys are interviewing soon let us know what Dr. Eubanks says, Please feel free to ask him. I wish I would have asked him more in my interview. I feel pretty clear but it is April and I am getting very anxious :whistle:

Below is my understanding from my own experience of previously going through the repeated NFA letters and wait list process, and I hope others correct me where I am wrong.

1) My understanding is that by some date, all spots are "offered;" there's been debate here in thread over that date, but I believe most have said March. Even though all spots are offered, some offered spots decline and spots open so acceptance letters continue to roll out until...

2) At some point all spots are accepted, this may be in March or April, I think it varies annually. Even though all spots are accepted, interviews continue because spots will open up after May 1 and people holding multiple spots decline LSUNO.

3) In May, the wait list is made from small advocate groups nominating to the larger committee those they selected to wait list. The larger committee orders numerically. Those not put on wait list are asked to apply again.

4) Then, the number of spots that opened after May 1 is used. If 40 spots are open, the first 40 on wait list automatically get acceptance letters and the rest on wait list are given a letter to tell them that they are on wait list.

5) As spots continue to open from students who have accepted spots to LSUNO but were subsequently accepted into other schools off wait lists and decline LSUNO, the wait list is used to fill these newly opened spots. As summer progresses, the bottom of the wait list is trimmed as it becomes less likely spots open. Along the way, it is recommended to meet with Dr. Eubanks to go over your application to see where to make improvements, but Dr. Eubanks says its not unusual for him to have a meeting with a student and then the student is accepted off the wait list the following week.

So here on April 5, there's still a lot of action and many spots are going to be opening up.

is it better to meet with Dr. Eubanks or Dr. McClugage to have your application evaluated? i have heard about students who have met with Dr. Eubanks to discuss their chances, and then i hear about others who met with Dr. McClugage to talk about their application and plan. if i wanted to do the same, who should i contact about possibly being evaluated?

Below is my understanding from my own experience of previously going through the repeated NFA letters and wait list process, and I hope others correct me where I am wrong.

1) My understanding is that by some date, all spots are "offered;" there's been debate here in thread over that date, but I believe most have said March. Even though all spots are offered, some offered spots decline and spots open so acceptance letters continue to roll out until...

2) At some point all spots are accepted, this may be in March or April, I think it varies annually. Even though all spots are accepted, interviews continue because spots will open up after May 1 and people holding multiple spots decline LSUNO.

These first two points seem to be very plausible as amcas traffic rules are just recommendations or set of guidelines that medical schools can choose to follow (for some traffic rules). So, it wasn't necessary that all of the LSU spots were filled by any date which we have mentioned previously in the thread. Nevertheless, it is hard to imagine any movement in between if there are no more meetings until May 15th - unless they are meeting before that date or would individually offer out spots.

is it better to meet with Dr. Eubanks or Dr. McClugage to have your application evaluated? i have heard about students who have met with Dr. Eubanks to discuss their chances, and then i hear about others who met with Dr. McClugage to talk about their application and plan. if i wanted to do the same, who should i contact about possibly being evaluated?

I know that almost all of my friends and I ended up meeting with Dr. Eubanks...not sure why.

I know that almost all of my friends and I ended up meeting with Dr. Eubanks...not sure why.

Maybe because he's the one that mainly does that. Also because he can probably give constructive criticism without making you feel worthless like Dr McClugage. But I really have no idea how Dr McClugage is regarding admissions - I've only dealt with him in the anatomy lab.

I think Eubanks just likes doing it. He takes his advising sessions seriously and will have read your file thoroughly. Have yet to meet McLuggage but Eubanks is great.

I did that with Dr. McClugage a long time ago, so am having trouble remembering specifics (aside from him encouraging me to apply ED and to consider MD/PhD), but I do remember him as candid and helpful, but pretty austere. Haven't had a one on one with Dr. Eubanks.

I was told that 200 spots have been offered already. AMCAS requires all schools to have offered the amount of spots in their class by the end of March.

Hi everyone! I interviewed at LSU Med New Orleans at the end of March, and wanted to send a quick thank you note to my interviewers...

there is ONE woman that i am just not quite certain of her name, so i was hoping that maybe one of you also had her as an interviewer.
heres her description:

shes a family practitioner, a very sweet older lady, short....you would almost just want her to be her grandchild....any ideas??

thanks so much i really appreciate it!!

LSUPLEASE89, you can call the Admissions Office and they will tell you the full names of your interviewers. Also, under the "Faculty and Institutional Affairs" section of the LSU-SOM website, under the link for "School of Medicine Committees," you will be able to find a pdf file listing the names and specialties of every member on the admissions committee.

Just call or email Ms. Stuckey and ask her to give you the names of the interviewers you had on that specific day. I did the exact same thing and she was very nice about it.

well, i didnt send a thank you note and i still got accepted! just to let you know its not really required. but i did send a thank you note last year. that might have helped. who knows?

Nothing yet from NO, but I got a call from Shreveport today! I really wanted to stay clos to home at NO though. When do I have to fully commit to s school?

Nothing yet from NO, but I got a call from Shreveport today! I really wanted to stay clos to home at NO though. When do I have to fully commit to s school?

Just give Shreveport the deposit and keep waiting for New Orleans if that's where you want to go. If you get the call/letter, worst case scenario is you lose your deposit there.

Where did this trend of sending thank you notes to interviewers come from? Doesn't seem like it would be beneficial before/after an acceptance. I just imagine the interviewer/admissions committee rolling their eyes at something like that.

I don't think many people who write them really expect something from it. It's like tipping at a restaurant you'll never return to. No repercussions either way. They're just donating their time (they are unpaid) interviewing people, and some people choose to thank them for that.

Just so you know I'm not being preachy and up my own ass, I did intend to send thank you letters, but got wrapped up in other stuff and kept pushing it aside until it seemed too late to do it.

No repercussions either way. They're just donating their time (they are unpaid) interviewing people

Erm... I was under the impression that they are all members of the admissions committee and thus each of them more or less holds your life in their hands. I wouldn't necessarily try to come off as too much of a suck-up. I think it would be proper to wait until a final decision has been made.

It's just like a job interview - and if you check - you're supposed to send a thank you note for that, also. It's not "sucking up".

I have never done that nor have I ever been advised to do so. I have, however, been hired.

I don't think my pre-med advisor had "be sure and send a thank you note or they'll think you were raised in a barn" in her zillion-page powerpoint on the topic of interviews, either.

Just seems a little gunner-ish to me.

I assisted in Residency Recruitment for Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at Tulane Hospital and if you sent a thank you note, it was considered proper manners and that you were very interested in coming to that program. All of the physicians told me that I must send thank you notes to my interviewers. I think if you forget, its not going to detrimentally hurt you but giving your interviewers another reminder that you are there and want to go to their school is beneficial. It definitely isn't considered sucking up.

From Virginia Tech's web-site concerning interviews:

Following an interview, promptly (within 2 business days) write the interviewer a letter expressing appreciation and thanks for the interview. The purpose of this letter is to:
Show appreciation for the employer's interest in you.
Reiterate your interest in the position and in the organization.
Review or remind the employer about your qualifications for the position. If you thought of something you forgot to mention in the interview, mention it in your follow-up / thank-you letter.
Demonstrate that you have good manners and know to write a thank-you letter.
Follow up with any information the employer may have asked you to provide after the interview.

I was such a good interviewer that I had interviewers writing me Thank you letters.

:likeaboss:

I don't think something as trivial as a thank you note has any effect on this decision, considering all the other factors that go into this like grades, recs, volunteering, interview, etc. At the same time, depending on the tone of the letter and if it doesn't come across as obvious brown-nosing, I think it's a nice gesture. Just don't expect any pay off from it, and if the tone of your letter is off the mark I think it could raise some questions to a more cynical interviewer. Some of them have been doing this for awhile and I think by this point their BS meter is finely tuned. I just look at it as sort of a "can't help you, can hurt you" scenario.

For a job interview in the real world, I think it's definitely favorable (almost required) to write a quick TY note, and I'd think the same rules apply for residency interviews because that is basically a job interview. But applying to med school =/= job interview, so those formalities don't apply IMO.

I don't think something as trivial as a thank you note has any effect on this decision, considering all the other factors that go into this like grades, recs, volunteering, interview, etc. At the same time, depending on the tone of the letter and if it doesn't come across as obvious brown-nosing, I think it's a nice gesture. Just don't expect any pay off from it, and if the tone of your letter is off the mark I think it could raise some questions to a more cynical interviewer. Some of them have been doing this for awhile and I think by this point their BS meter is finely tuned. I just look at it as sort of a "can't help you, can hurt you" scenario.

For a job interview in the real world, I think it's definitely favorable (almost required) to write a quick TY note, and I'd think the same rules apply for residency interviews because that is basically a job interview. But applying to med school =/= job interview, so those formalities don't apply IMO.

There was a NYT article several months ago that referenced data showing that if a person interviewed at med school on a rainy day, he/she had a worse chance of being admitted (essentially). The point is that, much as we'd like the world of admissions to be rational and "fair," it is often just as arbitrary and idiosyncratic as the people who run it.

Writing a polite thank-you note that leaves a good impression is not rocket science. And it's one more little thing that could give your interviewer a warm, fuzzy feeling about you, which might make your application get better attention in those fabled advocacy meetings. Or not. But I say it's worth the 10 minutes it takes to write them, if only because I'm a super nice guy like that.

Last edited:
Maybe because he's the one that mainly does that. Also because he can probably give constructive criticism without making you feel worthless like Dr McClugage. But I really have no idea how Dr McClugage is regarding admissions - I've only dealt with him in the anatomy lab.

Dr. McCluggage was one of my interviews. I loved the guy. Though, I have heard that to the unprepared he comes off as a bastard. He definitely isn't an "every man's man" the way that Dr. Eubanks is.

Does anyone know when the next committee meeting will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.