2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I'm getting anxious so I applied to a one year masters program at tulane... I'm prepared to reapply but I hope I don't have to.

Which one? I'll be honest, I did the Pharmacology Masters at Tulane, and although I learned a good bit, it really was a waste of a lot of money. It will not help you one bit to get into Tulane (the other masters won't either). It actually hurts you more than helps you because they wait until very late into the cycle to even look at your application.

If you already have good grades and aren't looking to improve your GPA, I'd suggest doing something like working as a phlebotomist or some other health-related job or volunteer activity.

Members don't see this ad.

Which one? I'll be honest, I did the Pharmacology Masters at Tulane, and although I learned a good bit, it really was a waste of a lot of money. It will not help you one bit to get into Tulane (the other masters won't either). It actually hurts you more than helps you because they wait until very late into the cycle to even look at your application.

If you already have good grades and aren't looking to improve your GPA, I'd suggest doing something like working as a phlebotomist or some other health-related job or volunteer activity.

Thanks for the advice. My gpa could use improvement. I already work as a full time research assistant doing cancer researh at Xavier. I applied to the molecular and cellular biology one year master program. My situation is quite unique. Stright out of undergrad I went to a Caribbean med school for a year when I didn't get into LSU immediately out of undergrad. I have about 160k on student loans and can't afford to pay them back just yet, so I am preparing to do this program to keep the us department of education off my back. This program is only 14k, which isn't that bad.

Anyone else think that the committee met yesterday?? It's been 3 weeks since their last meeting (April 15th) and from reading last year's thread, they met around this time as well. I know I'm over-analyzing it, but I like to be informed haha....plus I'm procrastinating when I should be studying for my finals that I may or may not have to do well on :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. My gpa could use improvement. I already work as a full time research assistant doing cancer researh at Xavier. I applied to the molecular and cellular biology one year master program. My situation is quite unique. Stright out of undergrad I went to a Caribbean med school for a year when I didn't get into LSU immediately out of undergrad. I have about 160k on student loans and can't afford to pay them back just yet, so I am preparing to do this program to keep the us department of education off my back. This program is only 14k, which isn't that bad.

OK, curious question. In the shadowing that I've done, I've met a number of doctors in both ER and family medicine who are caribbean graduates. None of them really liked it, but felt like it was an opportunity to become doctors. If you don't mind my asking, why did you choose to only do a year in the caribbean and them come back and try again here? I'm thinking about it and while it doesn't seem ideal, it seems like there are definitely more applicants than spots available in the local medical schools and the carribean is at least a path to get there

Thanks,

Last edited:
OK, curious question. In the shadowing that I've done, I've met a number of doctors in both ER and family medicine who are caribbean graduates. None of them really liked it, but felt like it was an opportunity to become doctors. If you don't mind my asking, why did you choose to only do a year in the caribbean and them come back and try again here? I'm thinking about it and while it doesn't seem ideal, it seems like there are definitely more applicants than spots available in the local medical schools and the carribean is at least a path to get there

Thanks,

Wow, great question and I have all the answers because I did it. I was impatient and chose to try and do the direct route. DON'T GO TO A CARIBBEAN MEDICAL SCHOOL! I have 100k debt just from that school alone. It's a waste of money, you can graduate from there and practice but specialities are hard to get amongst other problems with that whole system. It is cheaper to stay here and go to a US medical school. I planed to graduate from there but I chose to come back because tuition is high in caribbean med schools and LSU is cheaper and the curriculum is better. I may want do specialities and will have an uphill battle doing that with a foreign medical degree. Living on an island is very expensive. Your teacher's are legit, I had professors from John's Hopkins, Yale, etc. It's not the best because you professors leave the island before you take your block exams, so any questions you have for them you have to e-mail them. If you have any more question's in box me. I am a New Orleans native and live 5 mins from LSU new orleans. LSU is just a better school in general.

It sounds like a fun experience though...besides the enormous amount of debt you acquired obviously.

Looking at previous threads, it looks like some acceptances were sent out after May 7th and again after May 15th. I think because May 15th falls on a Sunday, y'all should get a letter back later next week at the latest.

Looking at previous threads, it looks like some acceptances were sent out after May 7th and again after May 15th. I think because May 15th falls on a Sunday, y'all should get a letter back later next week at the latest.

Thanks! When I harassed the secretary for the millionth time she said I should hear something the third week of May.

lol!!!! I've been there, I know how you feel!!!

From an epic thread...

waitlistkitteh.jpg

waitkit.jpg

may15.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my ACCEPTANCE letter in the mail today!!!! Finally! I am soo excited!!!

I got my ACCEPTANCE letter in the mail today!!!! Finally! I am soo excited!!!

Congrats! I guess that mean we'll be classmates, because.....

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TOO!!!!!!!! :banana:

I pray my letter comes tomorrow. I'm officially nervous!

Congrats man. Did you ever hear back from Shreveport?

Thanks man! Nooope...I guess I'm still on the acceptable list up there. Good luck to you! I know you want to be at Nola, so I hope you get a letter with some good news soon :thumbup:

Ugh... now how am I gonna get to sleep in time to go to my clinic tomorrow? I'm probably gonna get a ticket driving back home to check the mail.

congrats to the newly accepted!

I just called the school, the secretary said they are mailing out letters now. Since acceptance letters were mailed Monday are the rest rejection letters???:confused:

Or waitlist... don't baww just yet, my last letter took 4 DAYS to arrive, and I only live on the northshore. (also ForeverLSU said his was sent on Tuesday!)

At least that's how I'm rationalizing my empty mailbox. Well, that and...

waitkit.jpg

Or waitlist... don't baww just yet, my last letter took 4 DAYS to arrive, and I only live on the northshore. (also ForeverLSU said his was sent on Tuesday!)

At least that's how I'm rationalizing my empty mailbox. Well, that and...

waitkit.jpg

Thanks a lot:)
I don't want to sound crazy but I started crying when I didn't see an LSU letter... lol. I just don't want to do a masters or take courses I don't need when I know I am ready for medical school and that medicine is where my heart is. I live in New Orleans, so idk, there could be a chance my letter is still in the mail. :xf::xf:

I live in New Orleans as well and have yet to receive anything.

It also may be possible that a few acceptance letters are still rolling out as people notify the school that they are declining their spots before May 15th...trying to keep the faith over here. :thumbup:

I hear yah! Even if I do get one it might go right back out to you guys. Idk.....I really want to go to NOLA and stay close to home, but I've heard from multiple physicians that I should go to Shreveport.

CONGRATS YOU ALL! for those who just recently received an acceptance letter.. did you guys get a NFA letter before hand? I am still waiting.. Sigh. Slowly losing hope guys!.. After all, I was interviewed REALLY late. -_-..

Again.. CONGRATS!! I bet you guys are excited!! Good luck with everything!

CONGRATS YOU ALL! for those who just recently received an acceptance letter.. did you guys get a NFA letter before hand? I am still waiting.. Sigh. Slowly losing hope guys!.. After all, I was interviewed REALLY late. -_-..

Again.. CONGRATS!! I bet you guys are excited!! Good luck with everything!

Thanks!! I interviewed in October. I received an NFA letter about 3 weeks after my interview and another one in February.

Thanks foreverLSU! I received a NFA letter a few weeks ago.. I interviewed in April.. This is why I am getting discouraged..:(

Thanks foreverLSU! I received a NFA letter a few weeks ago.. I interviewed in April.. This is why I am getting discouraged..:(

Don't get discouraged quite yet! I also interviewed in April and got a NFA letter the same time you did. Never lose hope! There is still time for things to happen and spots to open up. Good luck!

or don't get discouraged at all, there's also time for letters to arrive........ :xf:

Congrats to everyone who got in,
Just wondering what yall's credentials are

Thanks guys! and thanks so much vmorel1! I feel better.. It's just hard waiting.. for those who were accepted.. Is it true that the acceptance letter came in a big envelope? Just preparing myself for the worse if I see a small envelope from LSU..

Thanks guys! and thanks so much vmorel1! I feel better.. It's just hard waiting.. for those who were accepted.. Is it true that the acceptance letter came in a big envelope? Just preparing myself for the worse if I see a small envelope from LSU..

Regular sized envelope. It was a little thicker than usual though since there are 2 copies of the letter in there.

wow it looks like there were a few acceptances thats awesome! we'll get final decisions next week!:thumbup: there really is no ryhme or reason on when to get accepted.

Did you just finish the pharmacology program this year?

I just received a letter placing me on the waitlist so the waiting continues for me... Just in case anyone was curious I received the letter on Friday (05-13-11), post marked 05-12-11.

CONGRATS TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED!! :thumbup:

I just received a letter placing me on the waitlist so the waiting continues for me... Just in case anyone was curious I received the letter on Friday (05-13-11), post marked 05-12-11.

CONGRATS TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED!! :thumbup:

Thanks, that was very informative. I probably have the same letter en route. Goodluck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.