2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an interview next Tuesday! Anyone else?

I am kind of nervous and don't know what to expect. To the people that have interviewed already. What kind of questions are asked?

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is a goofy question, but when the admissions committee meets on a Friday, do the letters go out into the mail on Friday or do they go out the following week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we can send (by mail) transcripts from this fall semester directly to LSU NO? I have some good grades I'd like to show them! I would call, but I think they say to only call on Thursdays from 2-4. . .

Does anyone know if we can send (by mail) transcripts from this fall semester directly to LSU NO? I have some good grades I'd like to show them! I would call, but I think they say to only call on Thursdays from 2-4. . .

Yes you can. I called up and asked a few days ago and that's what they said. :)

Hi everyone,

I interviewed on Monday 12/13, and the committee was set to meet on Friday 12/17. Just curious to know if anyone who interviewed from the last week of November through 12/15 or so has received any letters?

From what I understand, the letters (accept/waitlist/reject) should be sent out this week... but maybe they sent them out last Friday?!

It would be a really nice Christmas present for the parents to bring home an acceptance letter you know.... :D

:xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:

I called them today and they said they were planning on sending the letters out today. With the mail being slower since its christmas time, she said we may or may not get the letters before christmas

Got my letter in today and it was a "no final action taken on my application" When does the admissions committee meet again?

I was disappointed but the letter did say the majority of students receive their notification of acceptance after a subsquent review by the adcom. It said most of the final actions taken occur between the months of January and June. So it looks like I am playing the waiting game!

Got the letter today!!!

Accepted :D

Had a few margaritas to celebrate ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my letter in today and it was a "no final action taken on my application" When does the admissions committee meet again?

I was disappointed but the letter did say the majority of students receive their notification of acceptance after a subsquent review by the adcom. It said most of the final actions taken occur between the months of January and June. So it looks like I am playing the waiting game!

They won't meet until after the holidays, but it is true that most final decisions are made after the holidays. I know a fair amount of people in my class that didn't get in until later, so you're still good.

Welp, it's better to be waiting on your acceptance letter than to be waiting on your interview invite. :oops:

Good luck. :luck:

I got the same letter not to long ago....I'm keep my fingers crossed! One of the doctors that interviewed me did say he would be pushing for my acceptance however!

I'm still worried -- they're still interviewing, right?

Yes, friend just recently received an interview (about a week ago if I remember right)

Can getting published significantly help an application?

Im just curious, if I get accepted and want to find a roommate, how do I go about doing that? Or is it better just to live on campus or etc? Anyone have any opinions on this?

Im just curious, if I get accepted and want to find a roommate, how do I go about doing that? Or is it better just to live on campus or etc? Anyone have any opinions on this?

You can definitely try and find a roommate through Facebook with the people at the school. We had a ton of offers and people looking for roommates throughout the summer.

You could also live on campus, which would be a nice cheap option for your first year until you meet people to live with for your second year. The dorms aren't that bad and you can just roll out of bed and walk to class.

If you do Camp Tiger in May, you can talk to plenty of people about finding a roommate.

Thanks Metallica, if I get accepted, I am definitely looking forward to Camp Tiger.

And in case anyone is wondering, I called the admissions office and they said the committee meets again on January 21

Thanks Metallica, if I get accepted, I am definitely looking forward to Camp Tiger.

And in case anyone is wondering, I called the admissions office and they said the committee meets again on January 21

That makes sense. Seems like most people in the school are still on holiday. Things will be in full swing again come Tuesday.

Good luck everybody waiting to hear something.

Is there anyone on here that interviewed on November 30?

Anyone else not heard back for an interview yet? I've been complete since August.

I interviewed on Nov 30 and after the committee met on Dec 17, I received a "No Final Action" letter. I know the admissions committee met again today, but does that mean I will be getting another letter in the mail with an update? I guess the best question to ask is if every file is reviewed every time the admissions committee meets or do the No Final Action files have no specific time for review?

Hi, I have an interview here in a couple of weeks (invited late December), and I was wondering if any of you who have interviewed at LSU-NO recently could give me some information on what the interview day is like. I've read through the interview feedback on SDN, but since I won't be receiving anymore info from admissions until a week before my interview, I'd like to know a bit more so I can prepare. How many interviews did you have? What were your interviewers like? I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks!

I'm also about to interview soon, and because I live a good distance away from New Orleans, I was hoping someone could recommend the name of a hotel/motel that's close to LSUNO.

Thanks!

Hi, I have an interview here in a couple of weeks (invited late December), and I was wondering if any of you who have interviewed at LSU-NO recently could give me some information on what the interview day is like. I've read through the interview feedback on SDN, but since I won't be receiving anymore info from admissions until a week before my interview, I'd like to know a bit more so I can prepare. How many interviews did you have? What were your interviewers like? I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks!

For my interview, we got there at I think about 8:30 AM (there were 6 interviewees, myself included), and everything started around 9:00 AM. There was a one-hour orientation / introduction / talk about the interview day and school at the beginning, and then we started a tour of the facilities with 3 med students. After the tour, we had lunch with the students, and then we continued with a tour of University Hospital's emergency room. They were more than willing to discuss anything to do with the interviews or school.

In the afternoon, there are 3 interviews. 1 is blind and the other 2 are open. I think they structure them so that your first interview is the blind one, but I'm not sure if that's the rule or if it's just that the only people with whom I've spoken have had their blind interviews first as well.

During the blind interview, I think my interviewer was trying to intimidate me... he asked me what I was smoking when I described a gap in my record... he told me I had a low self-esteem.... he said a lot of **** that might have been offensive. I laughed at him. I felt like a raving lunatic, but I just treated it like he was joking and laughed at him. It was the best way to cope, and it paid off cause I got in lol -

The other two interviews - where they had my grades, scores, personal statement, etc, in front of them - went really well because it was less about trying to throw me off track and more about discussing in depth the things I had done, and in a more round about way discussing what I valued. They really are looking for people who are a good fit with the students at LSU, and if you can identify that during the tour and be able to sell how you are a good fit, it'll help your case. I left feeling really good about the interviews.

Oh, also one thing I did to prepare was have a mock interview with some people who used these questions to do the interview:

www.colorado.edu/aac/PreMed_interviewquestions.pdf

Best of luck! :luck:

I'm also about to interview soon, and because I live a good distance away from New Orleans, I was hoping someone could recommend the name of a hotel/motel that's close to LSUNO.

Thanks!

Are you driving or will you have access to a car? There aren't many places within immediate distance of the school (if there were you wouldn't want to stay there anyway), but there are places nearby downtown. These might be a little pricey, but if you named your own price on Priceline you could get a good deal.

It if were me, I would try to find someplace downtown (which could be very close) with parking that's hopefully not too expensive.

If you're flying, you should try and call for a student host.

anyone get an invite to interview recently???? i'm freaking out!

anyone get an invite to interview recently???? i'm freaking out!

Hey! I received an invite today and my application was complete in early September so there's still hope!!

I recieved my interview invite today also! My interview date is Feb 14. When is yours?

I got invited today for Feb. 8th! I'm stoked! Has most of the class been selected? I am curious.

Hey! I received an invite today and my application was complete in early September so there's still hope!!

ahhhh I think I was complete at the end of Sept.... here's to hoping!

I recieved my interview invite today also! My interview date is Feb 14. When is yours?

My interview isn't until Feb 28. I should've called earlier because I was hoping to schedule it on Feb 14 but I'll take it!

I know this question should probably be in another thread, but I wouldn't know which one...

Can someone tell me how much money the average student takes out in loans at LSU NO or Shreveport? I heard that they look at your parents' finances and that's kind of annoying since I want to finance my education myself from now on, and I don't want my amount to be limited!

Thanks!

That should be interesting for you with your tour guides - both L1s and L2s have exams that day. Having 3rd years would be good for asking questions about rotations - the really important part.

I know this question should probably be in another thread, but I wouldn't know which one...

Can someone tell me how much money the average student takes out in loans at LSU NO or Shreveport? I heard that they look at your parents' finances and that's kind of annoying since I want to finance my education myself from now on, and I don't want my amount to be limited!

Thanks!

Our class took out about $40k for this year - that's the full amount including cost of living. I'm not really sure what the exact amount was, even though I just got my loan check today. If you really want, just ask and I'll look up the exact amount.

The parental financial information doesn't determine how much loan money you get, it's to see if you're eligible for scholarships and grants from the school itself.

Just got my interview invite! Scheduled for Valentine's Day so hopefully the love will be in the air :love: Hope to see you there!

If anyone is interviewing Feb. 7th, I'll be one of your tour guides that day. :cool:

Also, I'm not 100% positive on this. But we had a meeting yesterday with our small groups, one of the 4th years was told that this year's incoming class was expanding dramatically, or at least that was told. They said 250 this year. Not sure how much truth there is to that, because I don't think we can even fit 250 in the lecture hall. I'm just churning the rumor mill.

Also said that Tulane was expanding their class size and they are eventually doing 250 as well, but 125 will be in NOLA and the other 125 will be in BR. Again, not sure how much truth there is to that. Another turn of the rumor mill.

you're not coming in feb 8th, dr. mcsexy??? with the increased class size, does that mean more interviews or just the same amount? are the interviews moving quickly i wonder as it looks like a feb. 28th is opened so soon?

If anyone is interviewing Feb. 7th, I'll be one of your tour guides that day. :cool:

Also, I'm not 100% positive on this. But we had a meeting yesterday with our small groups, one of the 4th years was told that this year's incoming class was expanding dramatically, or at least that was told. They said 250 this year. Not sure how much truth there is to that, because I don't think we can even fit 250 in the lecture hall. I'm just churning the rumor mill.

Awesome, I'm actually interviewing that day! Any idea on how many interviews are being offered this year?

See you in a few weeks.

hmm...kind of makes me concerned. i suppose i will just trust in the wisdom of our LSU overlords. surely they wouldnt expand beyond capacity...right? :xf:

you're not coming in feb 8th, dr. mcsexy??? with the increased class size, does that mean more interviews or just the same amount? are the interviews moving quickly i wonder as it looks like a feb. 28th is opened so soon?

I'll be at the school. Just won't be touring. I know the tour guides for that day, though.

I have no clue if they are increasing the number of interviews, keeping them the same, or what-not. I would assume that it would stay relatively the same and that they would just accept more people overall.

That is, IF they are actually increasing class size. Again it's a rumor as far as I'm concerned.

hmm...kind of makes me concerned. i suppose i will just trust in the wisdom of our LSU overlords. surely they wouldnt expand beyond capacity...right? :xf:

Hopefully. Beyond the classroom space concern, the other concerns would be about rotations during 3rd and 4th year. Meaning that with more people, not only do they have to find places for the students to rotate through, it would mean that more people would do rotations away from NOLA and in BR and Laffy, and elsewhere. And the competitiveness for certain rotations would increase.

Then there's always the concern that with increasing class sizes across the nation, that it becomes more competitive for many specialties, especially since residency spots aren't increasing at the same rate.

MY point isn't to make y'all fret or anything. Like I said, it's more a of a rumor than anything else at this moment.

Awesome, I'm actually interviewing that day! Any idea on how many interviews are being offered this year?

See you in a few weeks.

I don't know how firm it is. But I have that there's 27 more interview dates, with the last being in April.

After the interview, how soon do they provide feedback and notify you of your acceptance/rejection/or no further action? I understand that the committee meets every friday or every other friday, but looking back at previous threads, am I right to assume that all forthcoming letters will either be acceptable/no further action or rejection?

Thanks

A friend of mine was told after interviewing that the next letter would be A/R/NFA. Got NFA, and in that letter (IIRC) was told that any future letter would be A/R (not NFA). I think it was about 2 weeks between interview and letter.

BOOOOO!

So I got a no final action letter a few months ago after an interview in October. How much longer am I going to have to wait to get a final decision letter?!

Frustration.

Argh!

Really in April? I didn't know that. So a good portion of the class hasn't been selected?

Status
Not open for further replies.