2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh yess a macbook would be nice, but dell is a GREAT company with a mass of consumers. Is the committee meeting on March 17th or is their final meet on Feb 25th to make the March 17th decision?

Members don't see this ad.

macbooks and lecture podcasts...overall, a technology strategy that appeals to me much more than the approach in Nola. alas...

But it's in Shreveport. :thumbdown:

I'm not saying this about you (only mentioning it because you brough it up), but I would really hope that people wouldn't base a large of their decision on getting a Mac. :laugh:

I'm not saying this about you (only mentioning it because you brough it up), but I would really hope that people wouldn't base a large of their decision on getting a Mac. :laugh:

agreed, wholeheartedly. the people there are terribly nice, but I can't imagine a reason persuasive enough to make me seriously consider going there over New Orleans (much less the preferred computer brand).

still though, wouldn't it be awesome if LSUNO at least had the podcasts? although, there are these, some of which (I confess) I have watched. maybe it doesn't matter that much. you'd know better than me, I imagine.

Members don't see this ad :)
if nola had podcasts it would do wonders. personally I do best at auditory learning, therefor watching a lecture three times over would do wonders compared to being handed a packet of notes.

agreed, wholeheartedly. the people there are terribly nice, but I can't imagine a reason persuasive enough to make me seriously consider going there over New Orleans (much less the preferred computer brand).

still though, wouldn't it be awesome if LSUNO at least had the podcasts? although, there are these, some of which (I confess) I have watched. maybe it doesn't matter that much. you'd know better than me, I imagine.

if nola had podcasts it would do wonders. personally I do best at auditory learning, therefor watching a lecture three times over would do wonders compared to being handed a packet of notes.

The "no podcasts" thing was a huge deal to me before starting, and I was pretty worried. Now, I'm completely fine with it.

You'll learn (and some of you probably already know) that some lecturers just cannot present the subject matter in a way for you to grasp it straight from the lecture. Whether it's mumbling, not saying stuff on the slide or just being overly confusing, things the individual lecturer does can affect how much you gain out of the lecture. Notes help with that.

While it would nice to have both, it's not as big of a difference as I thought it would be. I see where you're coming from - it could be a big concern. But remember that everyone in your class is in the same boat, it's not like some people have extra access and you don't.

I can't say anything comparing to Shreveport because I didn't apply there. The only thing I can say about it is that it's in Shreveport - which was enough for me to not apply there. :laugh:

In my interview on 2/6 Dr. Eubanks said the committee was meeting on Feb 26th. I took notes in his address and this is what I wrote down. However, the 26th is a Saturday so I don't think the date is correct. Perhaps Friday the Feb 25th makes more sense. But, on the other hand, Dr. Eubanks said that the committee meets the 3rd Friday of every month, so I am not sure what's going on, really.

To those of you who got in, is the acceptance letter snail-mailed, or is it e-mailed? I check my e-mail religiously!

:luck:

Anyone signing up for Camp Tiger?

Yeah I sent my form in the day I got it :)

Y'all better sign up. :laugh:

It's pretty fun and the nightly events are great, too.

The only thing that is going to really suck this year is that we won't have charter buses because they had been reserved over a year in advance. We're going to have school buses. :thumbdown:

In my interview on 2/6 Dr. Eubanks said the committee was meeting on Feb 26th. I took notes in his address and this is what I wrote down. However, the 26th is a Saturday so I don't think the date is correct. Perhaps Friday the Feb 25th makes more sense. But, on the other hand, Dr. Eubanks said that the committee meets the 3rd Friday of every month, so I am not sure what's going on, really.

To those of you who got in, is the acceptance letter snail-mailed, or is it e-mailed? I check my e-mail religiously!

My interview was 2/14, the meeting is actually Friday Feb 25 for sure (I also took notes). Dr. Eubanks was very thorough in explaining the admissions process. I thought I would have tons of questions but he answered all my current questions and more. I will be waiting for the mail man every day during the first week in March! Hopefully I get the acceptance letter instead of the No further action letter. I am so anxious!

It will be snail mail.

Yea, all forms of communication with the school are via snail mail.

My interview was 2/14, the meeting is actually Friday Feb 25 for sure (I also took notes). Dr. Eubanks was very thorough in explaining the admissions process. I thought I would have tons of questions but he answered all my current questions and more. I will be waiting for the mail man every day during the first week in March! Hopefully I get the acceptance letter instead of the No further action letter. I am so anxious!

It will be snail mail.

I had the same feeling with Dr. Eubanks; he made the process seem very transparent, which is very different from the impression I got from Tulane!!

Thanks for the info... I guess I wrote down the wrong date. I was kind of hoping they were meeting today because waiting is never fun.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same feeling with Dr. Eubanks; he made the process seem very transparent, which is very different from the impression I got from Tulane!!

Thanks for the info... I guess I wrote down the wrong date. I was kind of hoping they were meeting today because waiting is never fun.

Good luck.

Good Luck!! I hope you get in!!:thumbup:

Signed up for Camp Tiger yesterday :)

I may be deferring, but I won't know for a good while. Should I still sign up for camp tiger? And if I do defer, would I still be able to do it, assuming my schedule permits?

I meant actual interviews but that is truly wonderful! I bet that was a nice surprise! :thumbup:

Redaction on my statement about TOPS money way earlier in the thread - only applicable if you graduate undergrad in less than 4 years

lovefororganic,

does this apply if you graduated from a LA high school but went to undergrad out of state? Can I still use the TOPS money?

Don't forget an ipad Too :D lol

what list do you mean?

They usually send out a list of the all the applicants who are interviewing that week. I.e. name and where the person went to school. If they don't send out an e-mail, it's posted on a bulletin board outside of admissions.

lovefororganic,

does this apply if you graduated from a LA high school but went to undergrad out of state? Can I still use the TOPS money?

My understanding is this. If you would have been eligible for TOPS for undergrad, but went out of state, and graduated in less than 4 years, you can use TOPS for medical school for a span of 4 years minus the time it took you to get through undergrad, so long as you haven't taken more than a single gap year.

My understanding is this. If you would have been eligible for TOPS for undergrad, but went out of state, and graduated in less than 4 years, you can use TOPS for medical school for a span of 4 years minus the time it took you to get through undergrad, so long as you haven't taken more than a single gap year.

I'm not an expert on this, but that sounds correct.

If people are getting interview invites this week, does this mean that the admissions committee met last Friday? If so, does that mean that this week they are also sending out acceptance letters? I am so antsy and just want to know when I should be obsessing about the mail-man.

I wonder if the committee meets at separate times to (1) invite new candidates and (2) to make decisions about acceptances. I would think they would do 1 and 2 in the same meeting, but Dr. Eubanks said the committee would meet this Friday rather than last.

What do you guys think?

Haha, I guess I'm already obsessing!

If people are getting interview invites this week, does this mean that the admissions committee met last Friday? If so, does that mean that this week they are also sending out acceptance letters? I am so antsy and just want to know when I should be obsessing about the mail-man.

I wonder if the committee meets at separate times to (1) invite new candidates and (2) to make decisions about acceptances. I would think they would do 1 and 2 in the same meeting, but Dr. Eubanks said the committee would meet this Friday rather than last.

What do you guys think?

Haha, I guess I'm already obsessing!

There are 2 separate meetings, one for interview invites and the other for acceptances/NFA. The one we are waiting on is this friday:xf:

Does the admissions office ever cash the $100.00 check for the deposit? They still haven't done so and its throwing my check book balance off :eek:

Also, I am glad to see so much activity on this thread, we are definitely beating Shreveport's thread :laugh:

Does the admissions office ever cash the $100.00 check for the deposit? They still haven't done so and its throwing my check book balance off :eek:

That's life for you. Most interest group checks take a while to cash, as do your class dues and other stuff. Learn to live with it.

I just had my Shreveport interview yesterday and although I wasn't impressed at first (as I was with New Orleans), it's starting to grow on me!

If I get accepted there, I probably will have a tough decision on my hands!

I interviewed this week after receiving my invitation 1/24. Like many of you, I'm awaiting a letter next week after this Friday's meeting. This is my second time through the cycle and I'm hoping I've done enough to get over the hump.

I interviewed this week after receiving my invitation 1/24. Like many of you, I'm awaiting a letter next week after this Friday's meeting. This is my second time through the cycle and I'm hoping I've done enough to get over the hump.

Same here second time applying. Interviewed 2/14. Good Luck!

I finally got my interview! I am scheduled for March 16th. Anyone else interviewing then?

Is it safe to assume the ADCOM will be meeting March 18th since they met today?

I just had my Shreveport interview yesterday and although I wasn't impressed at first (as I was with New Orleans), it's starting to grow on me!

If I get accepted there, I probably will have a tough decision on my hands!

My favorite things about Shreveport when I interviewed there were:

1.) Standardized patients that they recorded and you could go back watch (they don't do that in NOLA. Though 3rd or 4th year one of the NOLA interest group runs a thing for 3rd and 4th years to practice on standardized patients to prepare for STEP 2 CS)

2.) At the time, I liked that they video record and podcast their lectures. It was a plus before I was officially doing medschool. I wouldn't probably care as much now.

Shreveport and NOLA are pretty similar schools. The biggest differences TO ME after I interviewed is that they do systems based as opposed to traditional style and of course the cities are different (but I'm from North LA so I don't have this hate for Shreveport as a city). I'm not a huge Mac person, so that didn't sway me either way.

For me personally, my cons about Shreveport at the time were that I didn't like the fact that it's pretty much in the hospital, I never really saw any of the students around campus as we were touring, and I think the facilities are nicer in NOLA (due to Katrina mainly).

Either way, both are good schools.

My favorite things about Shreveport when I interviewed there were:

1.) Standardized patients that they recorded and you could go back watch (they don't do that in NOLA. Though 3rd or 4th year one of the NOLA interest group runs a thing for 3rd and 4th years to practice on standardized patients to prepare for STEP 2 CS)

2.) At the time, I liked that they video record and podcast their lectures. It was a plus before I was officially doing medschool. I wouldn't probably care as much now.

Shreveport and NOLA are pretty similar schools. The biggest differences TO ME after I interviewed is that they do systems based as opposed to traditional style and of course the cities are different (but I'm from North LA so I don't have this hate for Shreveport as a city). I'm not a huge Mac person, so that didn't sway me either way.

For me personally, my cons about Shreveport at the time were that I didn't like the fact that it's pretty much in the hospital, I never really saw any of the students around campus as we were touring, and I think the facilities are nicer in NOLA (due to Katrina mainly).

Either way, both are good schools.

Yeah, I was really impressed by the standardized patients that they had.

Do you think the systems based makes a big difference in the learning style? At Shreveport they were stressing the small class size + systems based + "family" atmosphere = awesome learning. I mean, I don't really know which one would be better until I actually start learning.

Of course, my parents want me to go to New Orleans because it's closer to home :)

Do you think the systems based makes a big difference in the learning style? At Shreveport they were stressing the small class size + systems based + "family" atmosphere = awesome learning. I mean, I don't really know which one would be better until I actually start learning.

It probably depends on the person a little bit. I want to say that Shreve students struggle a bit on the STEP scores the first couple of years they instituted, but I'm guessing that's been rectified.

I wanted the traditional style more than I wanted systems-based, which is one of reasons I chose NOLA over Shreve, but that's me personally. I would think it would be hard to understand the pathophysiology of certain systems (renal, respiratory) without knowing the physiology of other systems first (like cardiovascular). I guess it depends on how eager you are to learn about details of pathology and the order that they present the systems. The students that toured us seemed to like it.

But again, I've never taken anything systems-based, so I can't really say the pros and cons about it. At the end of the two years, you should have learned the same in both systems. Plus, the STEP is going to hinge largely on how you self-study for it as well.

I wanted the traditional style more than I wanted systems-based, which is one of reasons I chose NOLA over Shreve, but that's me personally. I would think it would be hard to understand the pathophysiology of certain systems (renal, respiratory) without knowing the physiology of other systems first (like cardiovascular). I guess it depends on how eager you are to learn about details of pathology and the order that they present the systems. The students that toured us seemed to like it.

I hadn't thought of it that way! Thank you!

I don't really know any med students who have done the systems based curriculum, but what you said makes a lot of sense. Do you think the SPs make a big difference? As you said, the interest groups host some SPs, so do you think that makes up for not having them part of the curriculum?

I guess overall, I'm not sure what I should look for in medical school!! This is more stressful than picking a college for undergrad and a first date! :rolleyes:

I don't really know any med students who have done the systems based curriculum, but what you said makes a lot of sense. Do you think the SPs make a big difference? As you said, the interest groups host some SPs, so do you think that makes up for not having them part of the curriculum?

I guess overall, I'm not sure what I should look for in medical school!! This is more stressful than picking a college for undergrad and a first date! :rolleyes:

The problem with any kind of 'doctoring' class, regardless of the innovations and fancy equipment/curriculum is that students will ALWAYS put that class last and only do the bare minimum of work to get by (which is probably why LSU-NO is beginning to give grades to the SPM class starting next year instead of just P/F). You might not think so, but you can ask anybody on the allo forum and I've seen it happen to every single one of my classmates. So a big question is will students put enough effort into the SP stuff to get anything out of it come 3rd year? I don't really know the answer to that, but I would guess probably not. If it does help, it will probably only be a little bit and you will learn the rest on the fly.

Basic science classes take precedence over everything until (obviously) you get to 3rd year and then everybody is in the same boat. This is just my take on the situation - I obviously have no experience with SPs.

I remember having to struggle with a school choice, it was rough. It's something that is very important, but no matter what decision you make you'll be happy with it a year later. Well, I guess unless you absolutely loathe the place.

Glad we're keeping this thread active! I hope there will be tons of acceptances next week!!!:xf::xf:

I don't think it makes a big difference from my perspective as of now. I don't know of any epidemic where NOLA's students are having trouble with their Step 2 CS, :laugh: . Seems like the students are most likely passing. So, I don't see it as a detriment.

Even if NOLA had standardized patients, I still wouldn't know what to be asking them or in what direction to go. We do role playing at NOLA. I just think sometimes that if I'm going to spending time doing it (or wasting), I would rather have a standardized patient as opposed to a classmate who read the script/case 1 min before we started role playing (I'm guilty of that as well).

Yeah. It's very hard (if at all) to get a grasp of what going to a school would actually be like having only spent 2-3 hours touring its areas. And half those areas, you'll probably won't visit the majority of the time while you are at school.

cheque got cashed today. Wonder what the number written on the top means? :uhno:

Thanks metallica81788 and Dr McSexy!!

I appreciate the advice! Hopefully I'll be able to decide. I'll be going back to NO (hopefully) to see how I feel about it again. So far it seems to be a good fit for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.