2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you yall think about the MD/MPH program?

I'm very strongly considering one in behavioral and community science, assuming applications are still open for it. Going to make a decision about it over spring break.

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering the epidemiology concentration. I called them today and they said the applications should be in no later than April since class would start on May 25.

What are some of the benefits of getting the MPH with an MD degree?

Well, if you want to be an epidemiologist, it makes a lot of sense. Otherwise it probably won't really matter all that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am considering the epidemiology concentration. I called them today and they said the applications should be in no later than April since class would start on May 25.

What are some of the benefits of getting the MPH with an MD degree?

By April you mean April 1 I assume? Thanks for the info - been meaning to call and ask.

As far as professionally, I've heard the MPH gives some boost to getting academic positions, if that's something of interest to you, and it's potentially a thesis-based degree, so you should get some solid grounding in research methods/practice. Beyond that, I can only really speak about the behavioral and community science track and the benefits I'm hoping to get from it.

I am finishing a masters program from a department similar to LSU's "Health Policy and Systems Management." Even just having a better understanding of the complexity of the healthcare system and its parts should benefit me moving forward. Of course, I got much more out of it than that, but this isn't the time for me to start preaching. If anyone has questions about benefits of health systems programs, send me a PM.

I'd recommend poking around and looking at program accreditations. to make sure any program you're interested in pursuing is fully accredited. When I was looking at programs two years ago I was turned away from a LSU program because it didn't have the same level of accreditation as where I am now. Although, because you'll have an MD with the MPH, MPH program accreditation level likely won't matter.

Last edited:
I know this is random, but does anyone know what the name of the anatomy book or books that are used in the 1 year (gross lab) are?

I know this is random, but does anyone know what the name of the anatomy book or books that are used in the 1 year (gross lab) are?

I am a third year, but I imagine it is still Moore and Dalley's Clinically Oriented Anatomy for the text, Netters or Grant for the Atlas, and I cannot remember the name of the dissecting book. The text is pretty awesome, and I still use it all the time for random crap.

Congrats to all those who are accepted, good luck to those still waiting. I highly recommend Camp Tiger for all you Pre-L1s, it's a blast and you meet a lot of your classmates and the people in the class ahead of you.

It is still Moore's Clinical Anatomy. For lab you'll use a dissector (Grant's) and you'll use an atlas (netter's, rohen, or gilroy, all of these being the most popular). I preferred gilroy fwiw. I also used brs anatomy.

I would hold off buying most of your books, except for maybe the atlas and maybe the dissector. You may get the rest from your big buddy.

Last edited:
It is still Moore's Clinical Anatomy. For lab you'll use a dissector (Grant's) and you'll use an atlas (netter's, rohen, or gilroy, all of these being the most popular). I preferred gilroy fwiw. I also used brs anatomy.

I would hold off buying most of your books, except for maybe the atlas and maybe the dissector. You may get the rest from your big buddy.

Definitely hold off buying your books. If your big buddy is worth anything they'll give you all the books they have plus other stuff. Saved me a lot of money.

How do y'all feel about the pre-matriculation program? A couple of people are telling me to do it but I don't know if it's because they are just trying to promote the school. I just want to know if it's a waste of time or not? Will I feel burned out after 2 months since it's from June 6th to July 29th? Just curious...:scared:

I am planning on applying for it since it seems to be a pretty well rounded program compared to taking summer classes as previously planned. The stipend is pretty attractive as well so that I can get down to business without having to work part time anymore. A few friends that are currently med students there say that they wish they had done it from what people say that did attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if your 'advocate' is one of your interviewers? I feel like Eubanks told us that in the orientation talk, but I may be misremembering the details.

Last edited:
How do y'all feel about the pre-matriculation program? A couple of people are telling me to do it but I don't know if it's because they are just trying to promote the school. I just want to know if it's a waste of time or not? Will I feel burned out after 2 months since it's from June 6th to July 29th? Just curious...:scared:

I'm almost definitely going to be doing an MPH, but if I wasn't, I don't think I'd be interested in doing the pre-mat thing, but not because I think it'd be a waste of time. Particularly if you didn't take much bio in undergrad, it seems like it would be pretty helpful to get some kind of grounding before the intensity ramps up. I just think I'd be able to get by well enough without it not to subject myself to additional med school. Again, nothing against it, just would probably be my choice.

Does anyone know if your 'advocate' is one of your interviewers? I feel like Eubanks told us that in the orientation talk, but I may be misremembering the details.

That's what I remember.

I am planning on applying for it since it seems to be a pretty well rounded program compared to taking summer classes as previously planned. The stipend is pretty attractive as well so that I can get down to business without having to work part time anymore. A few friends that are currently med students there say that they wish they had done it from what people say that did attend.

I didn't do the pre-matric and I kind of wished I had now. I worked over the summer and made just as much or less money as I as I could have done getting used to everything and not having to deal with the stupidity that my job entailed.

If you're planning on working in town over the summer and don't get paid much more than minimum wage, I would recommend it.

Have they cashed your check yet? it's been 2 weeks and they still haven't cashed mine! how long has it been since they cashed your check, have they ever?

That's life for you. Most interest group checks take a while to cash, as do your class dues and other stuff. Learn to live with it.

Pre Medical: Yea they finally cashed the check after about two weeks!

Mine's been cashed as well for a while. Also facebook group bump since a lot of conversations are going on there too

1. Does anyone get rejected from the pre-matriculation thing? Since there's an "application" with an essay (!) that seems like it must be possible. One wonders about the selection criteria if that's the case (i.e., might it be the opposite of the admissions process...weakest and most in need of help succeed?).

2. I'm really surprised that there's a stipend. Anyone know how much it is?

PS--I'll bet this program attracts tons of gunners, which is likely not the target audience. ;)

Last edited:
1. Does anyone get rejected from the pre-matriculation thing? Since there's an "application" with an essay (!) that seems like it must be possible. One wonders about the selection criteria if that's the case (i.e., might it be the opposite of the admissions process...weakest and most in need of help succeed?).

2. I'm really surprised that there's a stipend. Anyone know how much it is?

PS--I'll bet this program attracts tons of gunners, which is likely not the target audience. ;)

It kind of does, but it's a mix. :cool:

How much time are you allotted for step i prep and when is that time? Immediately after you finish L2?

Would much appreciate it! Very set on the MPH, but if you get like 2 weeks to study for step I will prob have to nix it

How much time are you allotted for step i prep and when is that time? Immediately after you finish L2?

There is usually 6-7 weeks after the last day of class second year and first day of class 3rd year. You can take it anytime you want during that time, or even before you finish second year if you really want the summer off. You have to take some kind of pre-test now though (thanks a lot classes of 2011 and 2012), so it might throw the timing off.

2011 Match List - I figured y'all might be interested

East Jefferson Gen Hosp-LA Family Medicine
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Emergency Medicine
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Medical University of SC Medicine-Pediatrics
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Med/Rural-Bogalusa
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Emergency Medicine
U Texas Med Sch-Houston Internal Medicine
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Internal Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA General Surgery
UCLA Medical Center-CA Emergency Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Emergency Medicine
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Pediatrics/Dallas
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Surg-Prelim/Designated
Rush University Med Ctr-IL General Surgery
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Medicine-Preliminary
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Psychiatry
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Pediatrics
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Anesthesiology
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Anesthesiology
U Arkansas-Little Rock Orthopaedic Surgery
U Colorado SOM-Denver Pediatrics
Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys Internal Medicine
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Pathology
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Internal Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Dermatology
Morehouse SOM-Atlanta-GAPediatrics
Exempla St Joseph Hosp-CO Medicine-Preliminary
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Internal Medicine
U South Ala SOM Mobile-AlSurg-Prelim/Non-Desig
Palmetto Health Richland-SC Internal Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Preliminary
Univ Med Ctr-Lafayette-LA Family Medicine
Childrens Hospital-Oakland-CA Pediatrics
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion SOM General Surgery
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Internal Medicine
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Pediatrics
Banner Good Samaritan Med Ctr-AZ Internal Medicine
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC Anesthesiology
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Orthopaedic Surgery
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Medicine
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Obstetrics and Gynecology
Halifax Med Ctr-FL Family Medicine
U Colorado SOM-Denver Family Med/Swedish Med
LSUHSC Lake Charles-LA Family Medicine
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Surgery-Preliminary
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Pediatrics
University of Virginia Internal Medicine
University Hosps-Jackson-MS Otolaryngology
U Washington Affil Hosps Surg-Prelim/Urology
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Orthopaedic Surgery
U South Alabama Hospitals Internal Medicine
Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion SOM Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA Emergency Medicine
U Arkansas-Little Rock Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Family Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Pediatrics
U Mass SOM-Worcester-MASurg-Prelim/Non-Desig
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Emergency Medicine
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Anesthesiology
U Colorado SOM-Denver Internal Medicine
Baylor U Med Ctr-Dallas-TX Obstetrics-Gynecology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Medicine-Preliminary
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Anesthesiology
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA Internal Medicine
Emory Univ SOM-GA Orthopaedic Surgery
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Internal Medicine
U Tennessee COM-Memphis Rad-Diag/U of TN Meth Hosp
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Pathology
Emory Univ SOM-GA Transitional/Anesthesiology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Phys Medicine & Rehab Univ
Med Ctr-Lafayette-LA Internal Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Phys Medicine & Rehab
LSU SOM-Shreveport-LA Surgery-Preliminary
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Orthopaedic Surgery
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Obstetrics-Gynecology
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Internal Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Emergency Medicine
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
Medical University of SC Surgery-Preliminary
U Colorado SOM-Denver Internal Medicine
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Neurology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Orthopaedic Surgery
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Radiology-Diagnostic
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Otolaryngology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Pathology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Our Lady of the Lake Reg Med Ctr-LA Pediatrics
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Anesthesiology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Anesthesiology
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Medicine-Preliminary
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Ortho Surg/Harvard Combined
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Pediatrics
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Internal Medicine
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Obstetrics-Gynecology/Dallas
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Med/Rural-Bogalusa
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Internal Medicine
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Dermatology
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Anesthesiology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Otolaryngology
Our Lady of the Lake Reg Med Ctr-LA Pediatrics
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Pathology
Baton Rouge Gen Hosp-LA Family Medicine
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Neurology
Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys Internal Medicine
Univ Med Ctr-Lafayette-LA Medicine-Preliminary
Brooke Army Med Ctr Ft. Sam Houston TXTransitional Year
U Arkansas-Little Rock Pediatrics
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Orthopaedic Surgery
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Otolaryngology
U Texas HSC-San Antonio Surgery-Preliminary
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Neurology
Hosp of the Univ of PA Psychiatry
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Medicine
U South Florida COM-Tampa Medicine-Pediatrics

Last edited:
Hey,

Is anyone on here possibly looking for roommates?

Those are VERY impressive matching! Glad I'll be coming to this school! Woot!

I just scheduled an interview for April 4th. Does anyone think they'd come to a decision before the double holding date (April 15th)? I don't want to risk losing my other spot somewhere else!

Also, they wouldn't interview us just to put us on the waiting list right?

Thanks!

Yeah, that list does look awesome! I think it is possible for people to be waitlisted since their meetings to decide on applicants seems to be tommorrow. I'm not sure if they meet that frequently to have another meeting before April 15th, but it's something that they'll probably let u know at your interview.
One of my friends interviewed at the end of March last year, was waitlisted, and didn't get in...but on a brighter note, he'll be attending LSU this fall! Best of luck...

Last edited:
Everybody accepted and in town should come to the Camp Tiger auction tonight, it's a great way to meet some people (like us L1s that will be running the whole thing) and just hang out for the night. Y'all get reduced price tickets and a nice label so us students will know who you are.

New Orleans Museum of Art, 7pm (open bar btw)

I wish I could go to the auction, but I live four hours away. Hope to be at Camp Tiger though.

I'm so jealous of everyone that gets to go!!!

countinglambs, I'm about 8 hours away!

Although if anyone is in the Baton Rouge area over the summer, I'd love to meet people before class starts (considering I don't know anyone!!)

I just scheduled an interview for April 4th. Does anyone think they'd come to a decision before the double holding date (April 15th)? I don't want to risk losing my other spot somewhere else!

Thanks!

I interviewed late march last year, and it was for the waitlist. Two people from my interview day (that I can recognize..I'm not good with face recognition) are in my class now..so you do have a shot. I highly doubt you'd get a yes or no before Apr 15th though.

alphelix said:
...Baton Rouge
..I know New Orleans isn't far from Baton Rouge...but you meant New Orleans, right?:laugh:

Nope, I meant Baton Rouge!

I'll be in Baton Rouge for the summer before med school starts, so I figured if anyone else was, it would be a good time to meet them!

You have a spot somewhere else? Eubanks actually explains how to work that system at the interview - you can only hold one spot, but that doesn't mean you're committed to that school. E.g. if you have your one spot at School X on April 15, and LSU offers you a spot on April 16, you can switch your spot to LSU. You can't switch back, obviously, and they may take your deposit, but there's nothing else to worry about.

Haha, well, sure they would. I mean, there is no one on any waiting list anywhere, ever, who DID NOT get interviewed. And from what I recall he said about 25-33% of the class comes off the waiting list. I interviewed a few weeks ago and this is straight from Eubanks:

1) a bunch of people (myself likely included) are going to get "no final action" letters tomorrow or tuesday

2) they haven't offered all their spots yet, probably not even half of them, and so I don't believe there even IS a waiting list, even now.

3) the next deadline after April 15 is May 15, when the schools are required to have offered all of their spots, and by then you should either be in, out, or waitlisted.

So, the AdCom met this past Friday. He said they interview all the way through April, so I imagine they meet next at the end of April, and so you probably won't hear anything until May.

Yeah I have a spot somewhere else. I really don't think I'll get an answer before April 15th either. I'm questioning whether I should go to the interview, but since lsu no had always been one of my top choices, I don't want to be blind and pick the other school right away. Oh well...

What I should have said instead of waitlist should've been "acceptable list" or a "no action list". I know people being put on this since October and having to wait a few months. I figured they'd just be filling up the last few spots, but I know LSU NO picks from a large group of applicants, instead of mostly every two weeks like other schools.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Right, but all I'm saying is, you can hold your spot and still accept LSU's offer later on if you want. :)

I just recently had my interview a few weeks ago and this is what Dr. Eubanks told us..

- All spots must be offered by April 1st
- They will not decide a wait list until right before May 15th
- You can hold as many spots as you want until May 15th
- They met this past Friday and will mail out acceptance letters Tuesday and no further action letters Wednesday of this week. This mail out will be their biggest acceptance mail out bc they have to offer the rest of their spots (about half)

These dates don't exactly match yalls. But this is the info I got.

Hope this helps

All spots offered April 1st? Doesn't sound right, I interviewed about two weeks ago and Eubanks said that everyone should realistically expect an NFA letter this week, that it doesn't mean we've been waitlisted, etc.

I feel like I remember him saying something about April 15th... could be wrong, though. I wish I'd been taking notes. :oops:

All spots offered April 1st? Doesn't sound right, I interviewed about two weeks ago and Eubanks said that everyone should realistically expect an NFA letter this week, that it doesn't mean we've been waitlisted, etc.

I feel like I remember him saying something about April 15th... could be wrong, though. I wish I'd been taking notes. :oops:

By AMCAS traffic rules, they have to have made an initial offer on all spots by March 30th. After that, they're supposed to only offer a spot after one has been turned down.

The April/May 15th date depends on when classes start for the particular med school, it's April if they start in July and May if they start in August. So unless one of the spots in question is at a school that starts in late July, you can hold multiples till May 15th.

I have to say, I am confused because Dr. Eubanks said they have to have all available spots offered by March 17th, but it doesn't mean it will be the entire class that shows up in the fall. So 200 spots had to be given for March 17th, however 250 will be about the total actually given out as about 50 accepted will ultimately decide to go somewhere else.

I have to say, I am confused because Dr. Eubanks said they have to have all available spots offered by March 17th, but it doesn't mean it will be the entire class that shows up in the fall. So 200 spots had to be given for March 17th, however 250 will be about the total actually given out as about 50 accepted will ultimately decide to go somewhere else.

I'm 110% sure that you have to date incorrect. Its MAY 15th, not March. That means that they would have given out all their spots by the last week of February at that committee meeting that happened on February 25th. I took notes and am positive that date is May 15th. March 17 doesn't even make sense.

Yeah, he told my group march 15th as the date they had to have the initial offers out (which is the amcas date for having md-phd spots out). Either he misspoke or LSU chooses to do it before the amcas deadline, which is march 30th (per their website)

Yeah, he told my group march 15th as the date they had to have the initial offers out (which is the amcas date for having md-phd spots out). Either he misspoke or LSU chooses to do it before the amcas deadline, which is march 30th (per their website)

Yeah okay, maybe he was referring to the MD/PHD spots. But I am sure he mis spoke if he was referring to all 200 spots. That would be lots of work for them to have offered 200 spots by early March.

If anything from what I have heard. They offer spots later than any other schools due to their unique selection process.

He also said that they interview 400 students and accept 200, so the way I look at it you have a 50% or better chance of being accepted for the fall :)

Status
Not open for further replies.