2010-2011 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

2.Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an interprofessional
team.

3. How did you hear of Rosalind Franklin University?

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The Rosalind Franklin class profiles are very outdated, so does anyone know how to access more recent class profiles to determine the matriculating GPAs and MCAT scores? (If possible)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have this years MSAR, pretty sure its like a 3.7 3.7 31.

I hope they reuse last years secondary because I already have it written

I have this years MSAR, pretty sure its like a 3.7 3.7 31.

I hope they reuse last years secondary because I already have it written

What were the essay questions?

The prompts are in the first post for the 2009-2010 Rosalind Franklin thread. I would link you, but Im on a phone and Im too lazy. Lol.

Can i be confident for most schools that the secondaries don't change from year to year?

Can i be confident for most schools that the secondaries don't change from year to year?

Yes, in general most of them will stay the same (if not just slightly change the wording a bit). I would feel safe using last year's to write a secondary essay earlier on.

Yes, in general most of them will stay the same (if not just slightly change the wording a bit). I would feel safe using last year's to write a secondary essay earlier on.

Thank you very much :)

I wouldn't be so confident with using last year's essays for RFU. They have changed their essays every year for at least the past three years in a row.

Does anyone know what the screening process is? I have a 3.92 GPA and a 27M. (10 P, 7V, 10B).

I am scheduled to retake the test on July 8th? would you suggest I do

Same as last year

1. At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an interprofessional
team.

Problem with the PDF: It's all in a PDF that doesn't accept text fields...Don't tell me they want it hand-written. You do need to print/mail it to the address..*foreign concept*

I had the same question too. Are we really supposed to hand-write the essays???????????

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same question too. Are we really supposed to hand-write the essays???????????

I saved the file and opened it up in adobe acrobat. In the "tool" section, click typewriter and it lets you type in your information -- or copy and paste it in

I have a mac and I can't find a way to download Acrobat :(
Can anyone help? A trial version would be great too

I can see it fine, I have Adobe Reader, but I can't type in it :(. That's why I wanted Acrobat.
How are other Mac people doing this?

In regards to the challenges one may face working in a team environment, I believe a lot of us will think it means "a flaw" that may impede our ability to work in a team, and I can see where that may come from. However, in writing an answer to the question and making a creative spin on it, I felt that the question could also be interpreted as "a challenge" (in general) that we may encounter in working with others. The answer to that question could easily be pinned on someone else..like we may encounter people who are difficult to work with for X reason or Y reason...

agree or disagree?

What do you guys think about using my answers from last year for this years secondary. I was rejected at RFU last minute, I remained in the small pool until april- so I think they were seriously considering interviewing me. Also- when I got my rejection feedback they said nothing about my secondary essays, but mentioned my PS could use some work (which I redid). Plus- I felt like I had really creative essays for these questions, adn there the same BUT i dont want to look like I didn't care enough to write new essays :confused::confused:

What do you guys think about using my answers from last year for this years secondary. I was rejected at RFU last minute, I remained in the small pool until april- so I think they were seriously considering interviewing me. Also- when I got my rejection feedback they said nothing about my secondary essays, but mentioned my PS could use some work (which I redid). Plus- I felt like I had really creative essays for these questions, adn there the same BUT i dont want to look like I didn't care enough to write new essays :confused::confused:

I'd reuse them only if you have nohting else to say...I would definitely try to "spin" your essays..in a new direction if you can.

"How did you hear about Rosalind Franklin University?"

I honestly first read about it in the MSAR, that's how I first learned about most schools, then researched them online. Is MSAR an okay answer?

I really don't like when schools ask these questions. I'm not even sure if there is a right or wrong answer.

I saved the file and opened it up in adobe acrobat. In the "tool" section, click typewriter and it lets you type in your information -- or copy and paste it in

Are you using Acrobat Reader or Acrobat Standard. I only have Reader, and the typewriter option does not come up.

Are you using Acrobat Reader or Acrobat Standard. I only have Reader, and the typewriter option does not come up.

Typewriter only comes up when you have in which you can enter text. This document does not have any "text fields" like the apps for UConn, Downstate, GWU...

Typewriter only comes up when you have in which you can enter text. This document does not have any "text fields" like the apps for UConn, Downstate, GWU...

Sooo, you're saying i gotta hand write it?

Same. As a re-applicant, is it necessary to change secondary responses?

I'm a reapplicant... already running out of steam on these secondaries. Contemplating reusing mine. I can't imagine coming at these questions from a different angle having gone through another year and raising my stats.

Printed and mailed today. :)

Are people handwriting this application?

For ALL MAC Users!!

Okay, I found a way to type in the boxes....I'm using Snow leopard so it might be different on 10.5 or 10.4

Anyway, click the "annotate" button on the top of your document (works in the Preview.app) then a little menu pops up on the bottom. Click the fourth button (it looks like a box with "Aa" in it) and drag a text box over the questions. Then format the text (I use Times new roman 12pt) and type away!

Hope this helps!

I have a PC and cannot access typewriter tool. Says tool available when document rights are enabled. Which they are obviously not for me. IDK what to do...

how many words/characters are you guys doing? Anyway to type on this pdf for PC users?

so how is everyone going about the inter-professional work challenge question?

Seems a bit odd....I mean, I dont want to come off sounded weak or anything

what does "interprofessional" actually mean? it seems like it can mean a lot. doctors working w/ other doctors for example a cardiologist working w/ a neurologist. or perhaps doctor working with nurses or a researcher... yeah?

what does "interprofessional" actually mean? it seems like it can mean a lot. doctors working w/ other doctors for example a cardiologist working w/ a neurologist. or perhaps doctor working with nurses or a researcher... yeah?

I think it means doctors working with non-doctors (like nurses, techs, pharmacists).

Well....I think this is an open ended question, with no "right" or "wrong" answer. I just believe they want a sufficient reason as to what your challenge is and maybe how you can overcome it using your past experiences. I'm writing about 1300 characters for this (spaces included).....I dont think I could fit more in that box

My weakness is that I care too much. or maybe I work too hard... haven't decided :D

i put a challenge might be to work with other professionals from other fields. but then i put how I get over that challenge by using integration skills from other aspects of my life.....i hope this is okay :confused:

last year I wrote that I tend to absorb blame and take failures personally. If I ever figure out how to put effing text in these boxes, I'm going to use it again I think...

has anyone figured out what to do about the boxes? we can't type in them. maybe we need to give them a phone call. handwriting would be super lame.

My greatest interpersonal challenge is listening to other people say their greatest interpersonal challenges are things like... "I care too much" "I work too hard" "I'm waaay too good looking" "I'm the smartest person alive" "I am God's gift to medicine..."

.... sorry... couldn't help myself. :cool:

Typing on pdf is fairly straightforward if you have Acrobat full version. But even without it, it is very easy to "type" rather than handwrite. Just print out the blank form first, and create a word document, adjust the page margin and text location, print and readjust until your text is exactly in the location of the box, then feed the printed blank form as paper to the printer. You can try and try again until you get satisfactory results. Hope this helps.

has anyone figured out what to do about the boxes? we can't type in them. maybe we need to give them a phone call. handwriting would be super lame.

OK. screw typewritter. With adobe acrobat I am now going to Tools -> Comment and Markup -> Text Box Tool and then I make a big text box square over the square that rosalind provides, and then I just paste my text in the formatting and size I want it in. Hopefully that helps someone.

My challenge essay is pretty lame... but then I mention surviving bed bugs in an interdisciplinary/international household... so hopefully that will make it less lame.

how did you guys hear about RFU? I heard about it bc of the MSAR and some counselors.....I'm just going to write a couple of sentences here.

how did you guys hear about RFU? I heard about it bc of the MSAR and some counselors.....I'm just going to write a couple of sentences here.

I would recommend looking into doctors you have seen and maybe one of them graduated from Chicago Medical School. It turns out the man that did my dad's surgery (that I mentioned in my PS) graduated from Rosalind and still is on the alumni board of directors. He's always mentioning to my parents that I should apply to rosalind. I'm just writing those two sentences... though I do know more people have gone there (but I'm from the chicago area)

Status
Not open for further replies.