2010-2011 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? (No character limit)

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Woot!!:woot:

Good luck Class of 2015!

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer, but I'm not so knowledgeable about SLU yet. I'll have to start school first.:D

Woot!!:woot:

Good luck Class of 2015!

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer, but I'm not so knowledgeable about SLU yet. I'll have to start school first.:D

but i'm sure you're probably very knowledgeable about the admissions process... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone applying here. I am too!

My AMCAS has been verified! The status says that the application has been made available to the schools. I was surprised because the AMCAS website states that transmission of applications to schools begin on June 25. Anyway, I am so glad to be complete early.

My AMCAS has been verified! The status says that the application has been made available to the schools. I was surprised because the AMCAS website states that transmission of applications to schools begin on June 25. Anyway, I am so glad to be complete early.

It has said that since it was verified (a couple weeks now for me). I still think they are still going out on the 25th.

awesome! that was a smart move. i recommend going through last years thread and starting on the secondaries so you are ready to go as soon as you get the email.

good luck!

awesome! that was a smart move. i recommend going through last years thread and starting on the secondaries so you are ready to go as soon as you get the email.

good luck!

Thanks Forven. Yeah, I'm already working on secondaries and I intend to send them off the day I receive them. The schools would not know what hit them.

do any of you know how oos friendly they are in admissions?

Where can I find more info about this school? The site seems rather scanty.

JUST GOT MY INVITE TO THE SECONDARY! :)

I know they don't screen, but still, I'm quite excited

Members don't see this ad :)
secondary received, completed and submitted :) Hope to see some of you in the early interviews!

Did anyone write anything for the "additional comments" section? What's expected/typical for that?

Did anyone write anything for the "additional comments" section? What's expected/typical for that?

I made a brief statement regarding my out of state status. I come from a state that has no med schools, so I discussed that aspect of things...

Not sure what is expected, or even the length thats appropriate. I just wrote a paragraph.

Anyone know when first round interviews might be?

I did. I don't think there's anything typical about this section...just write anything you think they should know which you could not include in your main essay...like what in your background drew you to medicine, how you have prepared yourself, why you chose SLU, etc...

I made a brief statement regarding my out of state status. I come from a state that has no med schools, so I discussed that aspect of things...

Not sure what is expected, or even the length thats appropriate. I just wrote a paragraph.

Anyone know when first round interviews might be?

Not sure...probably Aug/Sept...they said we might not hear from them for months...did you apply EDP? I didn't. They would probably start off with EDP applicants.

No EDP here. That'd be sweet if they started is august... get it done during summer vaca. :)

your application is withheld from other schools until a decision is made on your EDP application.

oh haha so i'm doing regular admission then

do we need to send in our LORs with the secondary or how does that work?

hey do u guys know how flexible they are with their LOR requirements??

i have 2 prof LOR but they ask for 3..

good luck to all:luck:

What is the spreadsheet about?
I made the spreadsheet because there were tons of people asking everyday how long verification would take. So the spreadsheet contains 2009 info in graphical form. However, 2010 turnaround has been somewhat faster, suggesting that the AAMC is getting more efficient, or fewer people are applying or are applying later.

wow this secondary is so short, especially if i choose not to write a comment :thumbup::thumbup:

How do you think we should go about updating information on our application, like say if we got a job or something?

Should we add that to the "Is there anything else you would like to add" prompt, even if we already wrote a paragraph there about something unrelated?"

yeah i was going to ask the same thing re: whether we should include comments or not. i have connections w/a friend on the admission committee @ SLU so i am waiting to hear back from him but once i do, i will post a reply here for everyone to benefit from.

i am thinking one of two things:

1. admissions committee members already have so much to read: AMCAS application + personal statement, are they really going to sit and read more in your "comments" section?

2. maybe they really do read this section and it could sincerely enhance your chances at being admitted.

we shall see. more to come!

yeah i was going to ask the same thing re: whether we should include comments or not. i have connections w/a friend on the admission committee @ SLU so i am waiting to hear back from him but once i do, i will post a reply here for everyone to benefit from.

i am thinking one of two things:

1. admissions committee members already have so much to read: AMCAS application + personal statement, are they really going to sit and read more in your "comments" section?

2. maybe they really do read this section and it could sincerely enhance your chances at being admitted.

we shall see. more to come!

Would you mind asking if they care for an update about experience, such as a new job..and where the best place to put that would be? Thanks :D

Would you mind asking if they care for an update about experience, such as a new job..and where the best place to put that would be? Thanks :D

You can always write them a letter later to update them on anything you want. Most schools accept application updates all throughout the year. Just look at their admissions page to find what email or address they want those sent to.

Are all of you full time student's for next year? If not how long was your essay explaining that?

oh haha so i'm doing regular admission then

do we need to send in our LORs with the secondary or how does that work?

standard protocol for all schools:
1. recieve secondary applications
2. complete secondaries
2. contact your premed committee and tell them to send the letters to above schools
3. premed committee sits around, wasting time, slowly screwing you over until they finally feel like sending the packet.

standard protocol for all schools:
1. recieve secondary applications
2. complete secondaries
2. contact your premed committee and tell them to send the letters to above schools
3. premed committee sits around, wasting time, slowly screwing you over until they finally feel like sending the packet.

If they've already been submitted to AMCAS and AMCAS has"recieved" the packet, then isn't the rest of the whole LOR submission thing "automatic"?

Also, if we're enrolled full time in Fall Quarter 2010, but are graduating that quarter and will be doing "something else" in between January-Matriculation, do we need to explain that in number the "are you a full time student" question? Technically, I think not...but it's kinda a gray area, right? Do you think it's best to just...fill it out explaining we're graduating early and will be doing _____________...

Are all of you full time student's for next year? If not how long was your essay explaining that?

I wrote 519 characters just explaining briefly what I've been doing since I graduated and what I plan on doing with the rest of the year. I didn't go too in-depth with anything.

I wrote 519 characters just explaining briefly what I've been doing since I graduated and what I plan on doing with the rest of the year. I didn't go too in-depth with anything.

Sweet! I didn't want to seem lazy but I mine is really short too.

Nice quick secondary. :thumbup:

I decided not to put anything in the additional comments box. My current activities are listed on my AMCAS anyway. As far as "Why SLU?", I assume things like that will be asked during the interview anyway.

Should I use bullets for the "Please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)" section? (Box shows up if you select no for being a student during 2010-2011)

Should I use bullets for the "Please describe your current activities... (max 10,000 characters)" section? (Box shows up if you select no for being a student during 2010-2011)

10,000? wow... feel free to write a novel in there. Does the box allow bulleted formatting? I personally would type an essay, but thats me.

Okay, so as far as the additional comments, I feel like I can go two different routes (or maybe do both).

I'm a premed/music (concentration in vocal performance) double major. Unfortunately, I really didn't have any place (except one sentence in my personal statement) to address this... I'd love to use the additional comments section to delve into this more, however...

I'd also like to talk about why I want to go to SLU, because its one of my top choices.

SO my question is, for the additional comments section, should I address the music major, why I want to go to SLU, or both?? What do you guys think?

10,000? wow... feel free to write a novel in there. Does the box allow bulleted formatting? I personally would type an essay, but thats me.

I ended up with bullets and wrote about 500 characters. Hopefully they will like the brevity.

For those who have received the secondary: could you please post the complete prompt? I haven't received the invite (not verified) and I can't seem to find it on this thread or the big sticky.

For those who have received the secondary: could you please post the complete prompt? I haven't received the invite (not verified) and I can't seem to find it on this thread or the big sticky.

1. Please list the year/s of previous applications to this School:

2. Is any member of your family a student or graduate of Saint Louis University School of Medicine?

3. Will you be a full-time student for the 2010-2011 academic year? (If your answer is no, you'll be asked to describe your activities up-to-date).

4. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee? If you answer yes, a text box appears to enter in your comments.

5. Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations?

6. I have read and understand the academic and technical standards and can comply with those requirements.

Would you like to apply for the MD/PhD program?

You can always write them a letter later to update them on anything you want. Most schools accept application updates all throughout the year. Just look at their admissions page to find what email or address they want those sent to.

that would be [email protected]

good luck!

hey so my situation is kinda weird

im going to be finishing school at the end of my winter quarter...so i don't think that makes me a full time student for the entire 2010-2011 year...do i need to explain what i will be doing during spring quarter (i have no clue right now lol)...???

Status
Not open for further replies.