2010-2011 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone, i know its probably early for the UCs, but im going to be a M1 here in another month or so and ill probably be checking back periodically if time permits here. If you guys have any questions about ucd at all id be glad to help with what little i know as only an M1 :). Good luck youll be pleasantly surprised by ucd if you arent familiar with the area.

Thanks for the preemptive Elijah, I'm sure we'll have tons of questions!

Hey Elijah do you remember when secondaries started going out last year for the UC's? Seemed like it was around this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
all of them came out around now i believe. ucla, uci, and ucd all came out between 7/9 - 7/20. I know that for sure. Ucsf and ucsd idk, but i believe they were around the same time as ucla...actually ucsd came out earlier i think .

Sweet that's what I thought. Thanks and good luck at Davis. Congrats again!

I want to wish everybody the best of luck! I am a freshly minted first year and I am really loving it so far - I can say that because I elected to do the pre-matriculation program :) I'll try to help out with questions as time permits.

Last edited:
Hi there! Do you have any clue as to how Davis looks at multiple mcat scores?

For example, if you took it twice, do they only consider your most recent, do they take the best score from each section, or do they average the scores?

I have no idea how to go about figuring this out...it doesn't say it on their website.

Thank you :)

screened in! :) :) :)

what am I doing up so late? and more importantly, why did I get this email at 2 AM?

screened in! :) :) :)

what am I doing up so late? and more importantly, why did I get this email at 2 AM?

me too! i'm so excited!!....why am i up sooo late? (oh yeah...just got back from work :eek:)

though...i tried to log in but it's not working...hmmm...i'll try it again later...

screened in!! instate applicant!

Screened in also (IS)

We request at least three but no more than six letters of recommendation from persons who know you well enough to evaluate your scholarly potential and promise as a physician. These letters may be accompanied by an undergraduate school's premedical committee evaluation. Professors, instructors, thesis advisors, and supervisors of special projects, clinical, volunteer or employment activities whom you have worked closely with usually provide the most distinguishing letters. Letters from teachers who do not know you beyond grades and class rank are discouraged.

1. UC Davis School of Medicine, with the support of UC Office of the President, is launching a sixth Program in Medical Education: UC Merced San Joaquin Valley - PRIME. Would you be interested in learning more about the program and completing the secondary? If yes, please check the website (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/UC_Merced_San_Joaquin_Valley_PRIME/index.html ) for additional information/application material and indicate your interest below. If not interested, simply type "Not Applicable".
Limit your response to 500 characters.

2. How do you feel your family, community, academic, work or other life experiences will enhance the UC Davis School of Medicine community?

3. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning.

4. Knowing yourself and your personal life experiences, what do you foresee as challenges that you will face in medical school and in your future career?

5. What have you been doing since submitting your AMCAS application? (Please give specific contact information for the most significant experience).

^Thank you!

I got an email saying that I've just begun the screening process... Weird considering I sent my AMCAS out ASAP

me too! i'm so excited!!....why am i up sooo late? (oh yeah...just got back from work :eek:)

though...i tried to log in but it's not working...hmmm...i'll try it again later...

Make sure you select the correct admissions year. The "new" year is 2011

Members don't see this ad :)
Screened in, yay. Now, how are we supposed to answer the question about stuff in our app being concerning? That's a toughie.

Most of my chem classes were taken separately from lab (Ex. I took Chem A in Fall 2007, Chem A Lab in Fall 2008), and each has it's own grade and units. I could combine the class descriptions and units, but the grades and completion dates don't align. Does anyone know how to reconcile this problem? :confused:

Most of my chem classes were taken separately from lab (Ex. I took Chem A in Fall 2007, Chem A Lab in Fall 2008), and each has it's own grade and units. I could combine the class descriptions and units, but the grades and completion dates don't align. Does anyone know how to reconcile this problem? :confused:

Should be fine, I'd email them if you really want. They are very understanding of the requirement and will accept lots of substitutions, etc.

I also received the secondary and will be submitting in a few minutes (the pre-req section is so slow to load)

OMG .. I was pretty confident I was going to be rejected outright from all the UCs :)

But yay, *jumping on bandwagon* .. screened in, in-state

It's weird though .. they first sent an email with the secondary info, and then a second email saying "your app is under review." I checked the status website to be sure, and it definitely says "Secondary Materials Requested"

hmm

ew @ essay prompts

Yeah man I'm not sure, I was thinking about doing the W...but I hate calling attention to stuff like that. Hmm.

Those of you that got screened in, mind sharing your stats? :)

IS, 3.8 cGPA, 3.9sGPA....32 MCAT.

I am curious how they "screen"..do they screen based on stats or also how they "like" your application?

:scared: I hope they'll take me: CA resident, cGPA 3.99/sGPA 4.0....... MCAT 28 (but balanced 9-9-10) :(

Yay, finally some UC secondaries!

CA resident, Cal, 3.98, 40Q

Do you think it's OK not to write anything for "Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning"? I don't know what to put.

Yeah man I'm not sure, I was thinking about doing the W...but I hate calling attention to stuff like that. Hmm.

exactly my thoughts! I know one is not a big deal, and I dont wanna come across as defensive..

:scared: I hope they'll take me: CA resident, cGPA 3.99/sGPA 4.0....... MCAT 28 (but balanced 9-9-10) :(

You definitely have a shot but a lot of your success will obviously be dependent upon the complete picture. From my experience, I have seen that UC Davis is pretty good at evaluating some the intangible (i.e. extracurricular) elements of one's application.

I have the same MCAT and a lower GPA and I received a secondary (in-state, non-URM, not disadvantaged). They must be looking at other parts of the application. If you have strong ECs or personal statement, I'm sure you'll get one.

Theres hope for you yet..

3.3 cGPA, 30Q MCAT.

Screened in instate.

Got the secondary invite!
3.83/35Q IS
good luck ppl!

Screened in with a 3.6ish/31P...keep ya chin up :D

These 500 and 750 character limits don't give you much room--they really want us to be concise!

Screened in! Wow, I thought I wouldn't make it this far. 29Q, 3.9 -- IS. Either they liked it or they just want my money. Does anyone know how many get screened in?

3.25/34P

Out of State...

No secondary yet... : (

What were the avg admission stats last year? anyone know

So if our classes are all in semesters, they want us to convert them to quarters, right?

So if our classes are all in semesters, they want us to convert them to quarters, right?

yup.

Oh also, what is everyone putting for the date field on the experiences list if your experience is currently ongoing? It won't take anything except numbers.

Thanks munchymanRX.

And yeah, essay #3 is so annoying...

No. It asks you to specify "Sem" or "Qtr" in the row for Course Type. Use the guidelines under the Instructions tab for an estimate of semester units.

No. It asks you to specify "Sem" or "Qtr" in the row for Course Type. Use the guidelines under the Instructions tab for an estimate of semester units.

oh wait...

The competition scares me:scared:.
Good luck everyone!

screened IS with 3.65gpa 33 mcat

nvm..fail at reading

Last edited:
Kudos to those who have received a secondary, and hang in there for those who haven't--I bet it's on its way!

For the experience description section, should we be putting something much different than a shortened version of the AMCAS/activities section? I wasn't sure if they were looking for something different here....

:( I waited, waited, and waited....

I guess I'm not getting one then, just like what I expected :(

Sooooooooooooooooo SAD!

Is everyone answering number 3? What if I don't have anything in my application that is "concerning?" Yeah, I have a few Bs here and there, but I don't feel like that is something I need to talk about...

Kudos to those who have received a secondary, and hang in there for those who haven't--I bet it's on its way!

For the experience description section, should we be putting something much different than a shortened version of the AMCAS/activities section? I wasn't sure if they were looking for something different here....

From their instructions it seems like they want to know how the experienced helped prepare you for med school / what it meant to you. Since the character limit is so short I just focused on the general "feel" of what my experience meant to me and how that ties in with the skill-sets I have that will make me a good doctor... ie: From xxx experience, I learned xxx skill by doing xxx; this is great for me because I'm going to need xxx in med school. It is tough with only 750 characters though.

edit: just realized I didn't really answer your question. Yeah, I would try and focus on a slightly different aspect of the experience than you did in your primary. Maybe go into more detail on a specific experience and then say what it meant to you and how thats going to help for med school; or talk about a more minor nuance to the experience you didnt have room for in your primary. Anything that makes the experience more "three-dimensional." Simply rehashing what you said in half the amount of space would not be an efficient use of this space.

To those screened in, congrats!

Quick question: were your primaries verified already? Or did some people get screened in without verification?

Status
Not open for further replies.