2010-2011 University of Miami Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who wouldn't want to go to school in Miami hahaha this was like the first school I picked

This is my #1 school, for sure.....

Can someone explain to me why UM favorites instate applicants? I thought UM was a private school?

This is my #1 school, for sure.....

Can someone explain to me why UM favorites instate applicants? I thought UM was a private school?

They are a private school, but they prefer in state applicants because they like people that are from/will stay in the area. They are very loyal to the citizens of Miami, so that's why they prefer in state applicants. At least that's what I thought, but I could be wrong...

Btw, watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbzih_LQ8kk :D

they dont really have a preference in state, but they do get state subsidies for in state students so its cheaper for instaters. thats why usually 70% of the class is in state

they dont really have a preference in state, but they do get state subsidies for in state students so its cheaper for instaters. thats why usually 70% of the class is in state

I don't know how to relate what the MSAR says about application/interview rates with what you said.

Instate applicants:1508
Instate interviews: 312
Instate matriculates: 137

Out-of-state applicants: 3087
Out-of-state interviews: 171
Out-of-state matriculates: 57

If UM didn't favor instate applicants then why do they offer a little less than double the interviews to OOS compared to IS yet there are more than double the numbers of OSS applicants?:confused:
UM's website does say they are currently pushing for a better qualified pool of matriculates, meaning they will offer more seats to OOS students, so maybe this is becoming a moot point.

Well a couple things, first the MSAR is outdated. Miami used to be IS only, but a few years ago they started to accept OOS students, though the number was CAPPED(I think 25%?). I think during my interview they told me that they have no such caps anymore. Secondly, while they don't exactly prefer IS applicants, it IS cheaper for ISers and due to other factors(proximity/familiarity, etc.) they get a higher yield in terms of matriculants vs. acceptees for IS students. So I guess in this way, they do make it easier for IS students.

Once you're at the interview stage tho, there is no difference, both get accepted at some crazy high rate(close to 80%)

Once you're at the interview stage tho, there is no difference, both get accepted at some crazy high rate(close to 80%)
Whoaaaaaa, really? Jeez, I really, really, really hope I land an interview!

So wait, is there different tuition (not total cost) between IS and OOS or was that eliminated, too?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea the tuition is about 20k apart (30 vs 50 per yr) because the state helps fund the instaters' tuition. the acceptance rate has been like 77% for both is and oos interviewees, so getting an interview is usually a pretty damn good sign. gl man!

Last edited:
They are a private school, but they prefer in state applicants because they like people that are from/will stay in the area. They are very loyal to the citizens of Miami so that's why they prefer in state applicants. At least that's what I thought, but I could be wrong...

You are absolutely right, especially U Miami graduates. All UMiami students get invited to a courtesy interview...

BTW, not my first choice, but definitely on my list..

I don't know that I've heard that all UMiami grads get interviewed. I don't know that I believe that when there are only 400 interviews and 300 people picked out of them or so based on that stats above. Plus I've never heard such before. But if someone could confirm or deny this that would be appreciated. That's the first I've heard of such.

Talk to premed UM students. My sister was a junior there a couple of years ago. The premed committee set the interviews up, some of them in the undergrad campus of Coral Gables.

Also, the number of students that you see reported as in state are not all from UM...but if u look at the class, the school is very well represented

Does anyone know how to apply/has anyone applied to FAU's new medical school now that they are no longer going to be associated with UM? FAU says the school will have it's first class for the Fall of 2011. So that would mean students would have to be applying now? I didn't see a Florida Atlantic Application thread.

I was wondering if FAU would have to do their own(non-AMCAS) separate application process for the 2011 class since they are not listed on AMCAS for this cycle. I'm just really interested to find out because I will not be ready to apply until next cycle through AMCAS. However, if FAU has their own separate application for the inaugural class, I would definitely consider applying for 2010/11 and not waiting until next year since a rejection wouldn't hurt me. That way if I didn't get into FAU, I could still apply next cycle through AMCAS as a first time applicant and not as a reapplicant. Here is the latest press release I could find for FAU's med school and they are claiming they are going to have a Fall 2011 class...

http://swise.fau.edu/communications/mediarelations/Releases0510/051016.php

Does anyone know how to apply/has anyone applied to FAU's new medical school now that they are no longer going to be associated with UM? FAU says the school will have it's first class for the Fall of 2011. So that would mean students would have to be applying now? I didn't see a Florida Atlantic Application thread.

Wow, that's interesting... I got curious, so I searched the FAU website and could find anything about it. They don't really talk about applications and whatnot under their Office of Medical Student Affairs website, but I found a news article saying that they expected their inaugural class to begin in Fall 2011. That's odd.

That is not the complete answer. Umiami is like Penn State University in that it is partly funded privately but partly funded by the state. It is not like BU in that it is completely private and does still receive some funds from the state to my understanding.

So while your answer is part of it, it is also partly what I've stated above.

Right!
There's an entire page on the Miller website dedicated to the details.

Source.

I don't think they will. They say they expect fall 2011 to be the inaugural class but there is nothing official besides a few news articles.

and I think it will be longer then that by another year or so before they can do that. Maybe the 2011 application cycle will begin that.

Even REL who is in the know said that the one article does not mean anything has been done yet to move this forward.

It is still probably through UMiami apps this year. The fact that they don't even have a website dedicated to them as a separate school should tell you a lot.

:confused: It doesn't really make sense though that it would be through Miami though, does it? The affiliation between the two schools has been severed except for the classes that are already there completing their education, and those individuals who did apply for the FAU campus this past year and then got accepted were absorbed into the Miami campus instead.

Jeez.... that is a lot of ****ing questions...

I read on their website that:
Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application? No. If you are a Florida resident you must have at least a 3.2 undergraduate GPA. If you are a resident of another state you will need to have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.6. All applicants must have a minimum composite MCAT score of at least 24.
Does this mean that I wont get sent a secondary if I am from out of state and don't have about a 3.6? In the MSAR it says everyone gets a secondary.

i haven't applied here but i wish i did, so if i get an acceptance i can say i'd be taking my talents down to south beach :laugh:

Miami just sent an email saying that they have received my AMCAS app. but they haven't sent out the secondary yet.

me too...

"Your AMCAS application for the 2011 entering class has arrived at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. A decision to send you a secondary application will be made shortly. In the meanwhile you should review the Admissions Office web site at:

www.miami.edu/medical-admissions "

I assume they're waiting for my MCAT score.

me too...

"Your AMCAS application for the 2011 entering class has arrived at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. A decision to send you a secondary application will be made shortly. In the meanwhile you should review the Admissions Office web site at:

www.miami.edu/medical-admissions "

I assume they're waiting for my MCAT score.

Not exactly. I just received the same email and I took the MCAT sophomore year. U Florida does the same thing and both schools said they screen..

Talk to premed UM students. My sister was a junior there a couple of years ago. The premed committee set the interviews up, some of them in the undergrad campus of Coral Gables.

Also, the number of students that you see reported as in state are not all from UM...but if u look at the class, the school is very well represented

UM graduates are not given a courtesy interview. I went to UM all 4 years and just graduated in May. The premed office does not arrange interviews... But I wish that were true!! Many of my UM friends that applied last cycle were not given an interview. Their GPAs and MCAT scores were around Miller's averages... solid ECs. UM is also my number 1 choice and I am applying this cycle. :xf: Good luck guys!

UM graduates are not given a courtesy interview. I went to UM all 4 years and just graduated in May. The premed office does not arrange interviews... But I wish that were true!! Many of my UM friends that applied last cycle were not given an interview. Their GPAs and MCAT scores were around Miller's averages... solid ECs. UM is also my number 1 choice and I am applying this cycle. :xf: Good luck guys!

Apparently things have now changed. My sister and her classmates got courtesy interviews a couple of years ago. They were arranged by the premed officce. I imagine that if they want to continue to raise the profile of the school, they would stop that practice.

Anyone getting secondaries? I got an email from them telling me to expect one.

If they are not yet listed on AMCAS as a separate school I'm guessing that the whole thing hasn't gone through yet. I'm sure it will be via Miami until the full separation goes through. If it is not listed separately on amcas assume that this separation hasn't become official yet.

And I just double checked AMCAS. I added every Fl. school and there was not a listing separately for FAU yet. So I'm assuming this year it is still via the UMiami secondary like when I applied the first time.

I doubt it, last year there was no Boca class of 2014, so the severance is final and highly unlikely to restart this year.

Right, I don't think they've ever given courtesy interviews.

When do they send out 2ndary?

Last year it wasn't until mid to late August(8/21 to be exact). It was a bit later than usual though.

Even Harvard's secondary already came out. What the hell is going on with Miami? Is everyone hanging out in South Beach??!!!

For what it's worth I called the admissions office today to see if maybe an email got lost somewhere or something. The person I spoke to said that they had to change some things with the secondary application and that they should be rolling it out starting this afternoon/weekend. She also said they would be doing it in a chronological order. I don't know how reliable this info is but we could be seeing things happening in the next few days.

Even Harvard's secondary already came out. What the hell is going on with Miami? Is everyone hanging out in South Beach??!!!

:laugh: I agree! I have been passing by the admissions office for the past month and they keep on saying "at the end of next week". Well 3 "next weeks" have passed and still nothing :(

is there anyway to check status? Im OOS and wont necessarily get a secondary...

This crazy that this secondary has not been sent out yet. Has anyone received it yet? Or, does anyone have any idea when this is coming out?

just got mine today as well!!! ...does anyone know if they give secondaries to everyone?

just got mine today as well!!! ...does anyone know if they give secondaries to everyone?

Don't think so. Three weeks ago, their email told me that "Your AMCAS application for the 2011 entering class has arrived at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. A decision to send you a secondary application will be made shortly. In the meanwhile you should review the Admissions Office web site..."

same! just got mine... does anyone know if they screen? trying to gauge my competitiveness lol

Status
Not open for further replies.