2010-2011 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Please check up to three (3) activities which are most important to you. The goal of this question is to get supplemental information about why these experiences were most important to you and how they helped you develop skills in leadership, commitment and as an individual.

LIMIT: 1000 Characters each

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
:hello: Starting @ Penn Med in August 2010. I'm a "veteran" of the Penn 2009-2010 application thread :laugh: - if you have specific questions feel free to PM me! I'll try to put some information about the Penn experience on this thread once I start :)

:hello: Starting @ Penn Med in August 2010. I'm a "veteran" of the Penn 2009-2010 application thread :laugh: - if you have specific questions feel free to PM me! I'll try to put some information about the Penn experience on this thread once I start :)

How were the Penn secondary essays last year? Easy or difficult?

Also, are there specific aspects that Penn likes? i.e. in terms of admissions, is it more of a stats school (like WashU) or more of a holistic school (i.e Chicago)

How were the Penn secondary essays last year? Easy or difficult?

Also, are there specific aspects that Penn likes? i.e. in terms of admissions, is it more of a stats school (like WashU) or more of a holistic school (i.e Chicago)

What the blobmister said/linked for secondary Qs.

As for Penn's "likes" - they seem to like a more diversified background, and also seem to like an older crowd - especially postbaccs or people who've taken time of or done other stuff (this is in stark contrast to harvard for example, where the average age is like 22 or 23).

But it's an ivy, and their mottos tend to be "we want the diversity and the stats" :D

btw this worked for me, but no guarantee this is how all the penn interviewers are: I said, point blank, that my first goal is to become the best clinician I can be. I understand that doing research is a very important part of being a doctor/supporting healthcare - but my main drive will be to become a great doctor first and to use research to enhance that, rather than the other way around. [That was me massaging my point that I want to be a doctor and do research if I get any free time]. So apparently Penn's ok with that (which is why I guess they are ranked well for both research and primary care?) - but of course tread carefully. Meh, it's too early to concern yourself about this stuff anyway.

What the blobmister said/linked for secondary Qs.

As for Penn's "likes" - they seem to like a more diversified background, and also seem to like an older crowd - especially postbaccs or people who've taken time of or done other stuff (this is in stark contrast to harvard for example, where the average age is like 22 or 23).

But it's an ivy, and their mottos tend to be "we want the diversity and the stats" :D

btw this worked for me, but no guarantee this is how all the penn interviewers are: I said, point blank, that my first goal is to become the best clinician I can be. I understand that doing research is a very important part of being a doctor/supporting healthcare - but my main drive will be to become a great doctor first and to use research to enhance that, rather than the other way around. [That was me massaging my point that I want to be a doctor and do research if I get any free time]. So apparently Penn's ok with that (which is why I guess they are ranked well for both research and primary care?) - but of course tread carefully. Meh, it's too early to concern yourself about this stuff anyway.

I love so many things in this post.

And hey, Cole, you and I can rest a little easier about our stats making the cut, huh? You rockstar, you. :cool:

I love so many things in this post.

And hey, Cole, you and I can rest a little easier about our stats making the cut, huh? You rockstar, you. :cool:

Both your stats are pretty damn good :thumbup:

Just don't be like that one kid I met during interviews who could barely hold a conversation for longer than 10 seconds. That definitely doesn't help

Thanks for the previously answer to my Q.

Also, I heard for Penn that if you apply and get rejected from the MD/PhD program, the admissions committee will not consider you for the MD program. :( Is that correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the previously answer to my Q.

Also, I heard for Penn that if you apply and get rejected from the MD/PhD program, the admissions committee will not consider you for the MD program. :( Is that correct?

Correct. I sort of agree with it. The degrees are so much different that I personally think it's somewhat silly to consider MD-only if that's what you really want to do. While MD/PhD stats tend to be higher at most places, I think Penn usually points out that the means for MD-only and MD/PhD are roughly the same in terms of GPA/MCAT. So you should just elect to apply for the program you're most interested in at Penn.

Correct. I sort of agree with it. The degrees are so much different that I personally think it's somewhat silly to consider MD-only if that's what you really want to do. While MD/PhD stats tend to be higher at most places, I think Penn usually points out that the means for MD-only and MD/PhD are roughly the same in terms of GPA/MCAT. So you should just elect to apply for the program you're most interested in at Penn.

yup; MDe's right. Don't know if I agree with it... because that requires me to think and I'm on vacation dammit.

And MDe: Grats dude! You going to Stanford eh? Didn't see that till now - happy things worked out for you! Also - know anyone looking for a place to stay in philly? I got 2 brs in my 4br apt available and I'm having difficulty finding people :(

yup; MDe's right. Don't know if I agree with it... because that requires me to think and I'm on vacation dammit.

And MDe: Grats dude! You going to Stanford eh? Didn't see that till now - happy things worked out for you! Also - know anyone looking for a place to stay in philly? I got 2 brs in my 4br apt available and I'm having difficulty finding people :(

Hey Sentinel did you post this on the class fb site? A bunch of people are starting to look now so they can move soon.

Hey Sentinel did you post this on the class fb site? A bunch of people are starting to look now so they can move soon.

Yea the problem is I'm trying to NOT live w/ med students :) I want a bit of variety at home! That's probably why I'm having difficulty finding roommates :( I've got hardcore requirements!

Nothing for me yet.

Same questions as last year?

Nothing for me yet.

Same questions as last year?

hahaha I'm too lazy to go check and see what they were, but as far as writing goes, they ask you to pick your 3 most important AMCAS activities and then ask you describe why they are important to you in 1000 characters. To me it just seems like it's the same thing we wrote in the description portion of our AMCAS activities section, but there you go.

I only glanced at it, but that was all that really stood out.

hahaha I'm too lazy to go check and see what they were, but as far as writing goes, they ask you to pick your 3 most important AMCAS activities and then ask you describe why they are important to you in 1000 characters. To me it just seems like it's the same thing we wrote in the description portion of our AMCAS activities section, but there you go.

I only glanced at it, but that was all that really stood out.

Yup. Same as last year. It's a little different than the AMCAS activities, so I'd mix it up a bit. More a way for Penn to see what are the "meat and potatoes" activities in your app that you're proud of.

@clint: they will see all three. So they should all be equally worked on... plus, everyone will write three (hell they'd write SIX if they could lol, this is SDN!)

received my secondary as well guys, gl!

@clint: they will see all three. So they should all be equally worked on... plus, everyone will write three (hell they'd write SIX if they could lol, this is SDN!)

I only wrote two.

I only wrote two.

Same here. In my case, there were clearly two activities that were really "important" to me. I don't really think they are necessarily going to hold it against you for only marking two...at least I hope not hahaha.

COMPLETE! one of my new favorite words...

/facepalm.

This isn't true. I only wrote 2. It's quality; not quantity. Definitely make sure it isn't a regurgitation of what you wrote on the AMCAS app. Expand it - take this opportunity to say why you are picking these 2 (or 3) activities of all the ones you listed. Why are these special; and how does it show you are awesome and not just another run-of-the-mill applicant.

Do you guys think we should definitely choose a clinically related activity as 1 of the 3 that we expand upon?

Do you guys think we should definitely choose a clinically related activity as 1 of the 3 that we expand upon?

I didn't. Then again, what (I thought) made me unique was not my clinical experiences, but my work / leadership / teaching experiences - so that's what I focused on.

Love to have a chance here. But its a long shot with my mcat

Do the local, state, national awards also refer to awards conferred by your undergraduate institution??

When I log into the supplemental application, it lists a bunch of my individual LORs as "not received" though they were received by AMCAS a while ago (weeks ago, in fact). Do I need to hit the "submit" button in AMCAS again to make sure they get transmitted or is something else going on?

When I log into the supplemental application, it lists a bunch of my individual LORs as "not received" though they were received by AMCAS a while ago (weeks ago, in fact). Do I need to hit the "submit" button in AMCAS again to make sure they get transmitted or is something else going on?

If AMCAS has received them, my guess is that your status in the secondary just hasn't been updated yet.

If AMCAS has received them, my guess is that your status in the secondary just hasn't been updated yet.

This is probably right. If in another week it doesn't update - I'd call Penn first to see if they've started updating their system with what AMCAS has. If they have and it hasn't shown up, THEN call amcas to see what's up.

Definitely still very early in the process; wouldn't be surprised if their system hasn't caught up on all the information.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I believe that you do have to hit the "submit" button again on AMCAS after you assign your letters to specific schools.

edit: page 57 on the pdf here http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2011amcasinstructions.pdf

For the question about awards received, does it apply only to college or can I list awards from high school as well?

For the question about awards received, does it apply only to college or can I list awards from high school as well?

I did not; but I'm a non-traditional student (I graduated HS in 2001...)

I think the general recommendation is to stick with post-HS awards. But if you have amazing awards from HS (like, national champion in tennis or something) - that could be worth talking about! I'd think that if you are listing a HS award, there better be a really good reason to list it... it probably won't be a good idea to list HS awards to just increase your awards count [then again; that's just my opinion]

Can you put dean's list and receiving an academic scholarship from your school in the awards section?

Can you put dean's list and receiving an academic scholarship from your school in the awards section?

Personally, I did not. I read the prompt as receiving an award from an "organization." I didn't consider my university an organization. Maybe call the admissions office to clarify?

Well I know that one of my three experiences will definitely be the one when I shadowed a pediatrician who is an alumni of penn state's med school. :laugh:

I also think maybe being a sunday school teacher's assistant could be a good experience? It's kind of risky since I'm not planning on becoming a teacher but it is one of the reasons why I wanted to become a pediatrician.

Keeping my :xf: that we all get in guys!!!

Personally, I did not. I read the prompt as receiving an award from an "organization." I didn't consider my university an organization. Maybe call the admissions office to clarify?

Any other thoughts on this?

I haven't accessed the secondary yet but have been working on the essays. In expanding on my activities, I have one thats about 200 characters over the 1000 character limit and another that is 200 characters short. Is it possible to enter it into the system this way? or is there no negotiating the 1000 character limit per activity? Also, would it be a problem with adcoms if they aren't discussed equally?

Status
Not open for further replies.