2010 Taus Method

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and lightly edited the original Taus method (from several years ago) and updated a few things. If I find time at the end of this 4th year to edit it again, then I'll post it up. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• New Taus Method - Copy.doc
    64.5 KB · Views: 4,830
Last edited:
What is the consensus on using 1999 edition HY Molec Bio now? I remember reading somewhere that FA in recent years have been adding lot more molec bio than what was present when Taus took his step.

took me a day to read. not worth it IMO
if u already have it or can borrow it, just read the chapter on 2nd messengers

Members don't see this ad :)
That schedule is way too light on anatomy. Then again, I don't really get the point of "the X method." Only you know what you're good at and what you need to work on. Being force-fed someone else's idea of structure may feel safe, but you're better off adjusting your schedule as you go to fit what you need to work on.

That schedule is way too light on anatomy. Then again, I don't really get the point of "the X method." Only you know what you're good at and what you need to work on. Being force-fed someone else's idea of structure may feel safe, but you're better off adjusting your schedule as you go to fit what you need to work on.

Some people like myself, who aren't usually organized, needed a template to get started and be productive. Personally I did the last 2 weeks of the plan for 10 days at the beginning of my dedicated period and took an assessment. Based on my 1st two assessments I then adjusted the 10 day plan to 14 days focusing more on my personal weaknesses.

Also, I believe even if you are 100% comfortable with a subject it is good to go over everything at least once. I think it's helpful to see what your weaknesses are after seeing everything once very recently and you can really hone into what you don't understand vs easy stuff you simply forgot

It is light on anatomy and many people do adjust that but anatomy is also one of the smallest portions of the test

Would you guys recommend annotating during second year so that you don't have to do it during your first pass? I've been using FA so far this year just to review key topics before exams, but I'm wondering if I should be more proactive and start annotating now since that could also help me learn the material better for class exams. Thoughts?

Maybe a dumb question, but should I be annotating FA with new topics from the review books?

I don't really recommend annotating anything due to the ridiculous amount of clutter you'll end up with. That said, lots of people seem to like it. Maybe if you run into a certain concept repeatedly or find a topic you know next to nothing about, jot it down for revisiting later, but I don't think writing stuff into FA is a wise plan. You could also note UW question numbers if you find something unique that you'd like to see again: a chart, a particular explanation, etc. Beside those things, just go back to the study source you found the info you want to see again instead of making your FA look like some mad scientist's journal.

thanks for this mcgillgrad. i just had a few questions though.
does one go through USMLE world once or twice while using the taus method?
also, i've noticed a significant increase in the amount of usmle world questions per day. why is that? and how does this 2010 method improve on the original method?

UW for the real deal stuff, but for the subject specific questions in the first run through/beginning...what do people like? Still Qbook? Is Kaplan's Qbank good for this? Something else? Thanks for the help...trying to get all my materials straightened out, the OCD in me kicking in.

Members don't see this ad :)
UW for the real deal stuff, but for the subject specific questions in the first run through/beginning...what do people like? Still Qbook? Is Kaplan's Qbank good for this? Something else? Thanks for the help...trying to get all my materials straightened out, the OCD in me kicking in.

was wondering the same thing

I'm using qbank right now was I do my 1st pass and I think it's great for that purpose. It's more directly focused on recall of FA material than UWorld is, and thus it works well for ensuring that you understand/retain the basics before stepping up to the integration-level questions UWorld offers. It also seems to have better anatomy, path, and physio coverage than UWorld, so you learn a lot of raw material just by doing the qs.

Sorry for the bump. Do the 146 questions mornings for the last 2 weeks carry over into the last 3 days? It seems like there's a pretty serious step down in time of studying, which I get from a tapering perspective, but makes me a little nervous.

How far out does this method start from test date?

How long should the run-throughs take in the Basic Timeline section?

i get the feeling that the full taus takes about a year.. maybe 6-9 months if youre really good.. i am 7.5 weeks out from my exam with 3.5 weeks of school left so i will be using the 2 week taus for weeks 2 and 3 of my 4 week study time. week 1 will be spent doing a lot of microbio and neuro and week 4 will be the last 3 day review plan with my test on thursday, may 19..
what do you guys think? god i hope i can do this...

Taus plan does not take 6 mo. to a year. I started back in January, and I take my test mid-April and its worked fine. First pass lasted from January till the end of classes in early March. Then I did a two week second pass. Now I'm on a two week 3rd pass. Then I'll do "Taus final two weeks."

I just wanna give this thread a bump and make sure I'm reading the method correctly:

Sorry for the dumb question, but the outline is saying that we go through the whole basic science topics first, then into Full systems right (on first pass)? Second pass is ONLY Systems only right?

Regarding doing QBank on the first pass, how many questions does one do each day? I plan on structuring my day like this: Study in the AM. Lunch. Do a block of Q's for the topics I studied (from Kaplan). Break. Review questions and each answer. Dinner. Do one more block of randoms from UWORLD. How does that sound for the first pass?

With 8 weeks, do I have enough time to do 3 diagnostics?

Thanks!

I just wanna give this thread a bump and make sure I'm reading the method correctly:

Sorry for the dumb question, but the outline is saying that we go through the whole basic science topics first, then into Full systems right (on first pass)? Second pass is ONLY Systems only right?

Regarding doing QBank on the first pass, how many questions does one do each day? I plan on structuring my day like this: Study in the AM. Lunch. Do a block of Q's for the topics I studied (from Kaplan). Break. Review questions and each answer. Dinner. Do one more block of randoms from UWORLD. How does that sound for the first pass?

Thanks!

1) you cover everything on every pass
2) number of questions 1st pass isn't that big a deal. its just whatever you covered in your reading. do those questions. eg if you just read resp anatomy. do only resp. anatomy. then read rest phys. do resp phys questions. its only to make sure you are actually absorbing what you read.
3) because its so integrative save uworld for after your 1st pass. use something else either rx or kaplan qbook or both.

thanks for this mcgillgrad. i just had a few questions though.
does one go through USMLE world once or twice while using the taus method?
also, i've noticed a significant increase in the amount of usmle world questions per day. why is that? and how does this 2010 method improve on the original method?

Sorry for the delay. I would try to go through UW two times. If you cannot do that, then go through your incorrect questions after finishing it the first time.

The new version just updates the NBME's, materials and number of questions you should be doing.

Thanks!

You go through everything in FA on all the passes. It gets much faster as you go on. By the 3rd pass, you are blazing through the material.

You can set up your days any way you like, but you should be blazing through 3-4 blocks a day sooner-rather-than-later. The high number of questions is part of the magic of the system. It gives you stamina and lets test a lot of material in a short period.

You can do a diagnostic per week if you like. I had enough time for all of them, but I also pushed myself with doing as many questions as I could stomach.

I agree it is too light for anatomy... But reading the whole HY Gross? It would take ages to complete that. FA+UW + Pelvic anatomy in HY should be enough. What do you think? I'd like to hear from someone experienced about this issue. thanks

I agree it is too light for anatomy... But reading the whole HY Gross? It would take ages to complete that. FA+UW + Pelvic anatomy in HY should be enough. What do you think? I'd like to hear from someone experienced about this issue. thanks

I too would like an answer to this. Is BRS as a review overkill? What is the best review setup so you aren't blindsided with a random question on the exam?

I heard that you must know the procedures, like anesthesia, lumbar punction and so on, and relate the anatomy with that. Plus pelvic anatomy. Anything more to add that's not in FA?

maybe look into USMLE road map for anatomy or CAMadeRidicSimple. Both of those texts are more concise and should highlight clinically relevant points.

Also has anyone tried using Netter Flash Cards for anatomy review...They also put clinically relevant facts on many of those cards. I just imagine it might take a while to run through those as well.

Last edited:

I found that the UW questions on anatomy, plus FA was pretty much enough for what I saw on the step.

Then again, it was a while back.

As an aside, you will always be blindsided by one question or another. That's how the test is designed. You cannot know everything.

But there are comments made nowadays saying that the anatomy in FA was nowhere near enough to prepare for the exam.

But there are comments made nowadays saying that the anatomy in FA was nowhere near enough to prepare for the exam.

My exam had lots of anatomy on it. I mean, way more than I ever expected. With that being said, I did great with UW and FA.

I only had a limited amount of time to study so I had to make sacrifices somewhere. If you have the time, I would absolutely recommend looking through the boxes on Anatomy BRS or HY Anatomy.

BUT, for me, it is not as high yield and ultimately too much info to master. If I had the choice between re-reviewing CHF/COPD/Diabetes or looking through anatomy for Step 1, I would sacrifice anatomy every single time.

woudl you guys recommend reading the blue pages in clinically oriented anatomy?

So the sense I'm getting from SD is the following:

1. Neuroanatomy: FA + HY Neuroanatomy
2. Neck: FA
3. Thorax: FA
4. Upper Limb: FA
5. Abdominal: FA
6. Pelvic: FA + Outside source (i.e. BRS, Moore's, etc.)
7. Lower Limb: FA

Is this pretty much it or would anyone else who has taken the exam add anything to the above list?

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I was wondering how well this method is still working in 2012. I know the original Taus method is 5 or 6 years old by now (and this one's newer) and just want to make sure that there hasn't been some drastic change in Step 1 that would make following this study plan inadvisable.

I'm thinking of starting up this plan in January and, after the first pass, replacing RR with Pathoma.

Advice/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.