2011, 2012, & 2013 Grads: How long did it take you to find your first RPh position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How long did it take you to find your first RPh position?

• 2013 - had a position or offer at graduation

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • 2012 - had a position or offer at graduation

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 2011 - had a position or offer at graduation

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • 2013 - less than 3 months

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 2012 - less than 3 months

• 2011 - less than 3 months

• 2013 - over 3 months

• 2012 - over 3 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2011 - over 3 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2013 and still unemployed

• Total voters
License in Nov 2013, had 3 interviews (turned down by 2), got hired as a prn pharmacist at an independent at the end of Dec 2013 (but will probably quit). So still looking for a real first time job.

Felt burned out after multiple residency interviews and no match. Interviewed for two positions in my hometown (clinic and hospital) with no offers. Took a job offer after my third interview for staff position in a rural hospital (about two weeks after graduation).

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed for Target and Duane Reade and Rite Aid in November of my P4 year at my school career fair, didn't hear back on anything. Had one residency interview way out in the middle of nowhere, was not impressed so I didn't pursue it. Had a residency interview at a hospital offering a residency for the first time, didn't hear back from them. Had an interview at a hospital who told me to call them back once I had my license.

Got offered a per-diem position at an independent pharmacy in July 2012, started there immediately as a grad intern. Got my license so I started working there as a pharmacist, called up that hospital whose director had me call his friend who is a director in another hospital. Interviewed with HR and the director 2 days after I called him, got the offer the day after the interview, started working there 2 weeks later.

I selected 2013 though my graduation year was 2012, felt it was more relevant since that was my residency completion year. I had 2 offers prior to completion (one FT and one PD) and I declined the FT offer due to inability to meet my compensation requirement and accepted the per-diem offer w/ FT hours promised while staff were on vacation.

Ultimately received 2 more offers within a month of finishing and after a week of negotiations finally signed/sealed/delivered on my current position.

At least that's how I remember it, I think I wrote about the job search process last year in the residency/fellowship section.

grad in 2011.. Had my job waiting for me months before I graduated...

graduated in 2013. Accepted a full time clin RPh position in feb prior to graduation.

2013 grad, licensed in August, already had floater position offer from graduation. Would love to finally have a home store, though.