2011-2012 Albany Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been complete since 7/17 and have heard nothing. I've got solid stats and am OOS (ca). Is it normal to still be waiting or is it a case of silent rejection? Should I contact admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Been complete since 7/17 and have heard nothing. I've got solid stats and am OOS (ca). Is it normal to still be waiting or is it a case of silent rejection? Should I contact admissions?

Considering that they're interviewing into May, I still think they have a few invites to give. Don't take my word on this though. It wouldn't hurt sending an update letter to show you're still interested. Good luck!

Considering that they're interviewing into May, I still think they have a few invites to give. Don't take my word on this though. It wouldn't hurt sending an update letter to show you're still interested. Good luck!

they don't accept update letters

Members don't see this ad :)

Sounds good, thank you for your help. I emailed regarding update letters- they do not accept them. Will keep thread posted

Sounds good, thank you for your help. I emailed regarding update letters- they do not accept them. Will keep thread posted

I sent in an update letter a few weeks ago (I didn't know they didn't accept them). They didn't take the update letter, but they gave me an interview invite a few days later...

I wonder if we should start a Facebook group...I want to meet all of you!

I sent in an update letter a few weeks ago (I didn't know they didn't accept them). They didn't take the update letter, but they gave me an interview invite a few days later...

Interesting... I'll give that a shot. When were you complete?

Interesting... I'll give that a shot. When were you complete?

I got a receipt of payment email in early September, but no "complete" notification, and didn't hear anything else until the II in early march. Good luck!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to cancel my interview (accepted offer from other institution)...but it seems relatively impossible to get anything but a machine with the number I've been trying. Can anyone help me out with how I might get a hold of a human being at AMC?

And also, hope one of you picks the interview up:)

Trying to cancel my interview (accepted offer from other institution)...but it seems relatively impossible to get anything but a machine with the number I've been trying. Can anyone help me out with how I might get a hold of a human being at AMC?

And also, hope one of you picks the interview up:)
Why not just email?

Hey,

I'm a current 3rd year student at AMC. I am looking for a roommate for next year. Some details are below and I'd be happy to answer questions (about anything not just the apartment) if you PM me.

The apartment is a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment only a few blocks from AMC. It's very affordable (in fact incredibly affordable) and in a great location (walking distance to AMC, Stewarts, Graneys etc). Since I'll be a 4th year, I will be missing for much of next year regardless so I'm an ideal roommate! You are also welcome to use any books I have from previous years (it's a good perk of living with an older student as well) The apartment has off street parking, laundry downstairs, and a backyard with BBQ and firepit. I am happy to send you photos and tell you more about myself via PM. The apartment obviously will be partially furnished with stuff I have already, so it's perfect for those of you coming from out of town (I moved in with older classmates when I was a first year, it worked out great since I was moving from CA).

Rent is only $370 a month and includes utilities and above mentioned amenities.

I will be moving into the apartment in June of this year! You are welcome to join whenever you need to after that date as I'm not sure when your start date is for 1st year.

Again let me know if you have any questions, good luck to those still playing the horrible waiting game... hold in there it's worth it!

Withdrew from my interview invite this weekend. It's interesting to see that the school is still sending invites.

I hope that my invitation goes to someone on here! :)

I'll be withdrawing from my interview invite that I got on Friday as well. It looks like they still have interview dates on April 19, May 2 and 3.

Best of luck guys!

does anyone know what day classes or orientation start at Albany?
I can't find anything on their website

I think I remember seeing that classes started August 1st.

So I'm interviewing Wednesday May 2 (check in 11:15) and there are no student host options. Couple of questions:
Is there any public transport from the airport to the school? How much is a cab ride?
How helpful/important was the student info session on Wednesday night? I am inclined to cut out right after the interview cause I don't want to take more time off work, but I would like to meet students etc also.
Would it be totally stupid to take a red eye the night before to save myself money and time? Does the admissions office have a decently good bathroom I could get ready in?
MY APOLOGIES if these have already been answered, I browsed through some forum pages and didn't find the answers. Thanks!

Yeah, that is what it said in the MSAR, but when I checked last year's application thread they said orientation didn't start until August 10th. :confused:

I guess I am just impatient lol

I can check for the exact dates when I get home, as Albany sends accepted students postcards with official dates on it. I believe orientation is August 8-10, and classes start August 13th. Will update this later on tonight if it's any different.

So I'm interviewing Wednesday May 2 (check in 11:15) and there are no student host options. Couple of questions:
Is there any public transport from the airport to the school? How much is a cab ride?
How helpful/important was the student info session on Wednesday night? I am inclined to cut out right after the interview cause I don't want to take more time off work, but I would like to meet students etc also.
Would it be totally stupid to take a red eye the night before to save myself money and time? Does the admissions office have a decently good bathroom I could get ready in?
MY APOLOGIES if these have already been answered, I browsed through some forum pages and didn't find the answers. Thanks!

I stayed at the Best Western Sovereign, and it was by far the best hotel experience I have had during my interview season. In addition to being affordable ($75/night), people were super nice. There was a pool and workout room, as well as a free breakfast in the hotel's restaurant. They have free transportation to and from the airport, as well as the medical center. Just schedule a pick up time with them or call them when you're ready, and they soon be there in a shuttle.

I found the student information session to be really helpful. It was nice meeting some of the student body, and getting a sense of what the liked/disliked about the school. Also, it helped me prep for my interviews in terms of the "Why Albany?" question. I never got asked it, but again, it was just nice being able to see how the school fit into my personal goals. If your interview is one Wednesday and not Thursday like mine, I wouldn't skip a day of work for it. You can still ask questions during the student lunch and tour.

There is a somewhat decent sized bathroom in the lounge where you will wait for a part of your day. You can hang stuff up next door, as well as leave your luggage in the office if needed (I think, I would call just to make sure). In my personal opinion, I wouldn't take a red eye the night before. I like to be well rested, and take some time out in the morning for myself to prep/destress. But, whatever floats your boat!

Hope this helped! If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or post on here. Good luck! :luck: I loved my day at Albany :)

A cab will be about $20. Probably the most convenient way to get to the school/medical center, but if you're concerned about cost...
For public transportation: http://www.cdta.org/rider_guide_airport.php Your best bet would be the 737, and then walk from around Henry Johnson/Central or Washington/Lark (it's probably 15 minutes and by May I imagine it will be a beautiful walk through Washington Park, as long as it's not too muggy or anything). You could transfer to the 100 at Livingston/Henry Johnson or the 13 at Washington/Lark, but I bet it's faster just to walk since those bus routes reach the medical center in some non-direct way. (Livingston/Henry Johnson is also in a worse part of town if you want to avoid that)
If you walk down Lark street (between Washington and Madison) you'll get a nice glimpse of the local bar/restaurant scene.

May 2nd is right before an exam for the first years; in fact we don't really have class that day (we have a single hour-long review session in the morning, which I'd guess most people are skipping in favor of studying on their own). The 2nd years will already have ended their academic year, and they're busy holing up and studying for boards. So it's going to be a little difficult to find students to meet. You'll have a couple of students to talk to during the lunch tour. I found the info session to be really useful personally, but it's really only going to be a half an hour to an hour with a couple of first years and then whatever questions the group of interviewees come up with. If you're concerned about flight times/cost/etc, I'm always happy to answer any questions. (I'm one of the people signed up to lead discussion that night anyway, so you'll probably hear the same sort of things whenever you talk to me. Just shoot me a PM)

There are two single/unisex bathrooms in the Admissions lobby. I've definitely seen other interviewees change and touch up in there, I think you'd be fine.

It's a 20-30 minute drive to the airport, so if you catch a red eye, just make sure you have about an hour of travel time budgeted just to make it on time regardless of whether you take a bus or taxi, plus whatever prep time you need.

Good luck!

I can check for the exact dates when I get home, as Albany sends accepted students postcards with official dates on it. I believe orientation is August 8-10, and classes start August 13th. Will update this later on tonight if it's any different.

I think that sounds more reasonable than orientation being August 1. Because August 1 is a couple of days before a 2nd year exam, and our whole class will have to be there to help present white coats!

ETA: They've been shifting our school year earlier and earlier (I think to give 2nd years more time to study for boards and to be able to fit in a few more rotations 3rd/4th year before Residency applications go out), so things have been in flux and I can't say for sure. Don't worry, the info will be out there soon - just relax and enjoy yourselves while you still can!

Orientation: August 6-8
Medical Cell Biology and Genetics: starts on August 9

Orientation: August 6-8
Medical Cell Biology and Genetics: starts on August 9

Ah, there we go. I knew the 13th for the first day of class sounded late and not quite right. Thanks!

Interview invite this morning! Very surprised, but so so excited for the opportunity.

OOS, decent stats, hadn't heard anything since September. Fingers crossed!

WTHECK!, got an interview invite.... I was sort of giving up getting any invite this year!

Someone give me some personal reviews of this school. I am stoked!

WTHECK!, got an interview invite.... I was sort of giving up getting any invite this year!

I'm 2011 AMC grad and feel I got an excellent education there, and the school only continues to improve. Since I left they have increased the number of USMLE-style exams, opened a simulation center (for use by the whole hospital but students benefit from it), and moved the start of 3rd year up to increase the number of clinical rotations available before residency applications are due. I am now in a large residency program with colleagues from med schools all over the country, including "big name" schools; each class has an AMC grad in it and we're all just as prepared as anyone else. That's my brief synopsis, good luck with the interview.

Interview invite this morning! Very surprised, but so so excited for the opportunity.

OOS, decent stats, hadn't heard anything since September. Fingers crossed!

Congrats on the II! do you mind sharing if it was via email or status page? Thanks.

Via email. To be honest I've pretty much stopped obsessively checking my statuses. By April I wasn't expecting anything else.

There are quite a few dates available, leading into early May. Is it in my best interest to interview here as early as possible?I need to make a decision regarding ticket prices versus rolling admissions shenanagins. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Via email. To be honest I've pretty much stopped obsessively checking my statuses. By April I wasn't expecting anything else.

There are quite a few dates available, leading into early May. Is it in my best interest to interview here as early as possible?I need to make a decision regarding ticket prices versus rolling admissions shenanagins. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

i ditto that, but i signed up for the may 2nd interview anyways, i have too much school work i need to get done.

I signed up for the 11.15 interview and I am trying to schedule a 7.20 flight back, do you guys think that will be enough time for everything?

Thanks

I signed up for the 11.15 interview and I am trying to schedule a 7.20 flight back, do you guys think that will be enough time for everything?

Thanks
Yeah you can probably leave your luggage with the front office and take a taxi directly to the airport.

Thanks

You should be fine. I had an 11:15 check in time and was done by 2pm. However, I only had one interview, whereas others had 2. Those who had 2 were usually done anywhere from 3-4. Just schedule a taxi and bring you luggage, like the above poster suggested, and you should be fine!

I feel kinda bad that I will be missing out on the student information session, should I be?

It doesn't matter when you interview. You are never interviewing for a Waitlist spot. If it's cheaper to go later, then go later, it's completely fine. They will in essence hold spots for anyone who is interviewing later in the season by the way that they dole out acceptances.

After you interview, they will meet the following week and give your application a score. If your score is above the admit cutoff, you will get admitted. If it is below, you may get put Under Consideration, or perhaps rejected (hopefully not!). They will initially be conservative about the acceptances they give out, but towards the end of May when people have dropped their multiple acceptances and the school has a better idea of how many seats they have, they will lower the cut off appropriately.

I was just reading some statistics, and noticed that you still only have 20 percent of getting in after getting a interview, so still small chance of getting accepted.

I was just reading some statistics, and noticed that you still only have 20 percent of getting in after getting a interview, so still small chance of getting accepted.

With 600 interviews, that means they only gave out 120 acceptances.

I think your statistics may be flawed. I would imagine 20% of the interviewees matriculate, but that considerably more may receive acceptances.

Thanks, Ive tried to not obsess over it, but I'm still hopeful for an AMC II; Just trying remain optimistic at this point. In any case, congrats to the both of you, and good luck!!

ur right ur right duh...

Accepted a week after my interview! I'm going here for sure...how come there is no facebook group for our class?

Accepted a week after my interview! I'm going here for sure...how come there is no facebook group for our class?

Apparently the administration makes one? That's what I was waiting for, at least...

i'll ask tmrw if they're making the official fb group soon. housing can probably wait until a month before, that's how long most landlords are willing to hold a lease for.

Status
Not open for further replies.