2011-2012 Albany Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks jinobi, really appreciate your insight!

Members don't see this ad.

UC listed.

Wow. Big dream crusher for this cycle.

Don't give up yet! I've looked on past threads, and there has been significant wl movement at Albany even through July. You can throw in the towel after August, but I think you still stand a really good chance of acceptance from any given waitlist. This process is incredibly stressful, and I personally think AMCAS should start operating like the Texas system because it is absolutely unbelievable that this process can run until August.

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear back today? I was told we'd hear bal by Thursday afternoon but I didn't recieve any emails

I'm also waiting today, but it doesn't look like any news yet. I heard on my interview that it'd be Thursday or Friday though.

has anyone received housing information or has looked into housing yet? where should we start? thanks!

has anyone received housing information or has looked into housing yet? where should we start? thanks!

I think Student Services should have a list of local landlords who are advertising and upperclassmen who are looking for roommates.
There is housing at University Heights http://www.uhcollegesuites.com/ but most people live in apartments/houses near campus. I'd say most people shoot for between New Scotland Avenue, Madison Ave, and Ontario Street or near Lark Street between Madison Ave and Washington. Some people opt to live out farther and commute in 10-15 minutes because they can find larger places out in the suburbs, etc. Check craigslist, come to Albany and driving around and looking for posted signs. I'm sure the facebook page will be a good place to organize rooming situations, especially for people who are hearing back late during the summer, and some current students may come here and post about the apartments they are leaving at some point, too.

Just make sure to get a good look, as you should do in any apartment hunt. I don't think there's a shortage of housing, but houses are older, room sizes may not be even, and you should make sure to check on utilities and all that fun stuff. I have off-street parking and while it didn't snow a lot this year, I hear it's a great help when it does because they're pretty strict about towing when the plows need to come through.

Does anyone know anything about waitlist movement at Albany? I would imagine that there is a lot of movement from the UC list in the next few weeks with the whole May 15th deadline, but would appreciate anyone's insight who may know more specific information.

Thanks, Sally Sparrow. When do people usually start looking for housing? After May 15th ?

Does anyone know anything about waitlist movement at Albany? I would imagine that there is a lot of movement from the UC list in the next few weeks with the whole May 15th deadline, but would appreciate anyone's insight who may know more specific information.

I don't know the specific numbers, but I'd say there's a fair amount of waitlist movement. A lot of people I've talked to in my class got in after May 15. So if you're still UC, you're in good shape.There will be a big chunk of folks getting in during late May. In early June, they'll convert the UC list to an "Alternate" List which they will pull from all summer and potentially through the end of July or maybe even the very beginning of August.

Thanks, Sally Sparrow. When do people usually start looking for housing? After May 15th ?

You can certainly start looking now if you like. It depends what your timeframe is. My classmates have been looking over the past month or two, but a lot of people were planning to move during the end of May/beginning of June. If you're not coming until August, then that might change things. I think it just depends on whether you know if you're coming here for sure, whether you're trying to secure roommates, etc.
If you're getting in off the UC/Alternate list late, I wouldn't worry too much - there will be upperclassmen or other first years looking for roommates, and there are plenty of apartments around. And if you don't like the place you picked for this year, you'll have plenty of time next year to take your time and find a better place, especially once you know your class better and have some friends to look with.

Anyone interviewed in the past two weeks heard back?
They said there was a "planned delay" for the final weeks
so we should be hearing back this week, but I still haven't got any news yet....

Anyone interviewed in the past two weeks heard back?
They said there was a "planned delay" for the final weeks
so we should be hearing back this week, but I still haven't got any news yet....

Same here... Maybe tomorrow?? They told my group that we would prob hear back last week, but at the very latest this week..

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed two weeks ago as well. Looking back at this topic, news seems to drop on Thursdays - maybe they're delaying until after May 15th?

One of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. Just withdrew my acceptance. I loved everything about Albany, and would have loved to go here. Ultimately, going to my state school is a better choice, especially with Albany's tuition increase. Best of luck to everyone, and I hope one of you on the UC list gets my spot! :luck:

One of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. Just withdrew my acceptance. I loved everything about Albany, and would have loved to go here. Ultimately, going to my state school is a better choice, especially with Albany's tuition increase. Best of luck to everyone, and I hope one of you on the UC list gets my spot! :luck:

Congrats! Cost of attendance should be your main concern when choosing someplace; medical education is pretty much the same at any US MD school you go to. Each place has something different to offer in terms of activities/nightlife/teaching method, but what'll matter are the people you befriend. They can make or break your med school experience.

Hey guys, I will also be relinquishing my acceptance tomorrow via phone and email. I will be attending another MD school. Albany was great, but i received scholarships elsewhere. I hope someone that has not received an acceptance yet gets my spot! Good luck!

Has there been any movement from the UC list as of yet? It seemed that from last year's thread that a lot of people moved on and off before the 15th.

Nada nada, i am actually dying to hear back from them. Just had my interview two weeks ago, and still nothing!

Nada nada, i am actually dying to hear back from them. Just had my interview two weeks ago, and still nothing!

I spoke with admissions just now, and they told me end of this week for those of us that interviewed two weeks ago.

wow, that is a long time to wait

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to everyone, Albany is a great school.

Accepted! and I will be attending there! hahhaha best day of my life

Accepted! and I will be attending there! hahhaha best day of my life

Was this via email? On the UC list and I haven't heard anything today.

Should we expect to hear back regarding UC to waitlist/refuse/admit statuses today? Or perhaps wait for this upcoming Thursday.

Albany gods, be kind...

After being placed on almost enough waitlists to start a baseball team, I FINALLY GET ACCEPTED! WHOOO!

After being placed on almost enough waitlists to start a baseball team, I FINALLY GET ACCEPTED! WHOOO!

Congrats! Hopefully there will be some UC movement soon. I assume today's were all for the last round of interviews??

Withdrew acceptance last minute today! Hopefully one of you guys gets it!!

Got a last minute interview at AMC at the very end of April and didn't hear anything until today when I got an acceptance letter! :rofl: I am quite certain that I will be keeping my seat in the class... but, to all of those who are still waiting, hang in there -- seats must still be open (or at least, they are opening)!

Does anyone know if there is a facebook group for Albany, if so can you please post a link

anyone know about the possibility of doing away rotations at albany??

anyone know about the possibility of doing away rotations at albany??

Don't know all the options, but you can do some of your third year core rotations at approved institutions (e.g. Family Medicine in CA). Albany Med shifted our M1-M2 schedules earlier in the year, so now we have time to fit in one more away rotation (you can do these anywhere) during M4. From the M4s we've talked to, they've been able to do anywhere from 1-4 away rotations during M4.

Don't know all the options, but you can do some of your third year core rotations at approved institutions (e.g. Family Medicine in CA). Albany Med shifted our M1-M2 schedules earlier in the year, so now we have time to fit in one more away rotation (you can do these anywhere) during M4. From the M4s we've talked to, they've been able to do anywhere from 1-4 away rotations during M4.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience or knowledge of how to go about deferring the acceptance for 1 year or even if it's possible at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience or knowledge of how to go about deferring the acceptance for 1 year or even if it's possible at all, it would be greatly appreciated.
Wouldn't that information be in your acceptance packet?

You heard something this morning?

I'm wondering when the UC list will get ranked/waitlisted. Haven't heard anything in some time.

I'm wondering when the UC list will get ranked/waitlisted. Haven't heard anything in some time.
I think they meet on tuesdays so tomorrow may be one of the first times they meet post may 15 and maybe by friday we'll hear. Just a guess though.

yea, I got the email acceptance this morning at around 8am here in Cali

Hello everyone,

http://www.amc.edu/academic/undergraduate/Faqs.html

Scroll all the way down - 4th to last item.

In summary, if you have a good reason, send it in writing to Admissions. I don't know specifically about deferring prior to arriving, but I can say that there are several people I know of who are either coming back from a year off or have left to take a year off for various reasons (see leave of absence: http://www.amc.edu/academic/undergraduate/Policies.html ), so I imagine they'd be supportive (as long as you aren't just planning to sit around on the beach all year or apply to other schools or something!)

http://www.amc.edu/academic/undergraduate/Faqs.html

A little past halfway.

The UC list is already ranked and has been the whole season. Just hang tight; sometimes it's about waiting for all the other school's waitlists to settle out, unfortunately.

I think they'll probably send out an email soon, but you should find out in early June about who is put on the "Alternate" list. This is the top section of the UC list who has a chance of getting pulled before school starts. I think you may need to send an email back or confirm in some way to make sure you're on it, so just keep and eye out. They will reject anyone who doesn't make it onto the Alternate list at this point, so good luck to everybody!

Can any current student explain the grading system

http://www.amc.edu/academic/undergraduate/EvaluationStudentPerformance.html

"modified pass-fail"
aka
"G = MD"

Of the 140 students in our class, the top 2 or so will usually get an EH (Excellent with Honors), the next 5-10 may get an E (Excellent), about 125 will get a G (Good) and then some people might get an M (Marginal) or a U (Unsatisfactory) (but they don't have to fail anyone if everyone scores well!!)
I think this distribution might change a little come 3rd/4th year (I hear more people get E's and EH's.)

Our grades in the first two years are pretty much based on final exams at the end of each theme. A couple of the earlier themes had midterms and finals, which were pretty much weighted equally. There might be a few other things that are worth points, like anatomy quizzes, but those are only worth a point each (and our most dissection heavy theme had 12 dissection quizzes, whereas there were probably around 250 points total.)

When our grades come out, we see our Z-score (think standard deviation) and a histogram with everyone in the class. Usually the breakdown is above +2 is an EH, between +1.5 and +2 is an E, from +1.5 to -1.5 is a G, -1.5 to -2 is an M, and -2 and below is a U. These are not hard and fast values (usually the thing is a bell curve and there are natural breaks around those areas.) If you get a U you have to remediate that theme, like over the summer. If you get a couple of U's you'd probably have to remediate the year. (I think the exact number may depend on how long the themes are that you need remediate?) I think once you get a couple of M's it's a similar situation.
Usually if you're not doing well, the Deans will start sending you emails and setting up meetings with you ASAP to get you tutoring or other support.

ETA: Here's some more info,in particular about clinical years and what shows up on your transcript: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10714453&postcount=642
All those things I posted last year as a pre-MS-I that I heard from a few members of class of 2014 from my interview day still stand.

Last edited:
Hey, just wondering if you were pulled off the UC list. If so, does that mean that people are still being accepted off UC before compilation of Alternate waitlist?

Hey, just wondering if you were pulled off the UC list. If so, does that mean that people are still being accepted off UC before compilation of Alternate waitlist?

Yea I was pulled from the UC list. I was placed in UC mid January.

Thanks SallySparrow for the helpful information. I appreciate it. Hopeful things go well and I can attend AMC in 2013.

Mackhouse, thanks for the info, and congratulations. I was placed UC in January as well. That's encouraging. Best of luck! Hope to cross paths there in 2013!

Status
Not open for further replies.