2011-2012 Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

I just got accepted to Baylor (SO EXCITED) and withdrew from my other acceptances today. I'm from Florida so not super familiar with Houston but I'm trying to find places to live. Do any Houstonians know what neighborhoods are nice and where med students usually live? And also, what is this I hear about financial problems that Baylor is having? What does that mean?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Damndinosaur said that he is from Texas, the Dallas area...last year,some Baylor acceptances were clearly offered in late May-- 5 were reported on SDN between 5/26 and 5/28, then a sprinkling in June, and even as late as early July.

Sorry, I mean hello0.

Members don't see this ad.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Damndinosaur said that he is from Texas, the Dallas area...last year,some Baylor acceptances were clearly offered in late May-- 5 were reported on SDN between 5/26 and 5/28, then a sprinkling in June, and even as late as early July.

Yes, but almost all of those were IS students. I went back and look at 08-09, 09-10, and 10-11, and yes in 2010 and 2009 there were some around may 21 and 22nd and a couple on the 26th. But any in late May or Early June were all IS.

Thanks for the reply and followup info, FearlessHyena. A counterpoint-- not everyone accepted posts on SDN. Activity varies widely by school and does not correlate with class sizes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Aggies here? I'm a former student applying, and I need some info on what to input on AMCAS for the committee letter packet thing so I can get the letter of evaluation request form. OPSA said they could mail me the instructions, but that wouldn't work for me at the moment. I know most of y'all probably applied last year, but if you know what to put, or you know a current applicant that knows what to put, could you please hook me up with the info?

Just shoot me a private message or something. Thanks.

Edit: nevermind, I got it

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and followup info, FearlessHyena. A counterpoint-- not everyone accepted posts on SDN. Activity varies widely by school and does not correlate with class sizes.

This is very true. Hopefully some of us hear some good news soon.

FANTASTIC! Got acceptance call just past 5:00 EDT. As information-- OOS, Anglo female, 33 MCAT (11/11/11), 3.83 at America's most competitive (> 3.55 graduates Summa C.L.) public technical school (Geaux Jackets!), different major (Meteorology), heavy E/C's/leadership, but little research...no ties to Texas whatsoever.

Had sent several Update "Love Notes"...Dr. Michael said he was reading yesterday's latest before he called.

Easily the most exciting among several acceptances...time to shop for a condo in Houston!
WHOO-WEE!!! SO EXCITED!!! :love:
Keep the faith, y'all!!!

Hey guys!

I just got accepted to Baylor (SO EXCITED) and withdrew from my other acceptances today. I'm from Florida so not super familiar with Houston but I'm trying to find places to live. Do any Houstonians know what neighborhoods are nice and where med students usually live? And also, what is this I hear about financial problems that Baylor is having? What does that mean?
Anyone form UF? Also, are you going to be renting or buying?

FANTASTIC! Got acceptance call just past 5:00 EDT. As information-- OOS, Anglo female, 33 MCAT (11/11/11), 3.83 at America's most competitive (> 3.55 graduates Summa C.L.) public technical school (Geaux Jackets!), different major (Meteorology), heavy E/C's/leadership, but little research...no ties to Texas whatsoever.

Had sent several Update "Love Notes"...Dr. Michael said he was reading yesterday's latest before he called.

Easily the most exciting among several acceptances...time to shop for a condo in Houston!
WHOO-WEE!!! SO EXCITED!!! :love:
Keep the faith, y'all!!!

Amazing!!! I've sent 6 letters of intents/interest through a combination of snail/email. So, hopefully I'll hear this week.

OOS ---> buying in most cases [amirite?!] :D

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Student host explained that OOS folks often immediately buy (she had done so) to establish residence, thereby cutting tuition in years M2-M4 by $12k a year. There are reportedly some M4's looking to sell now (see FB perhaps). :luck:

i am OOS. did not buy. do not plan on buying

I'm interested in buying a condo within driving distance from school. It's not close to the rail, but I'm willing to pay for contract parking in one of the garages. Could any of the current students comment on the pros and cons of doing this? Is it difficult to find parking spots?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in buying a condo within driving distance from school. It's not close to the rail, but I'm willing to pay for contract parking in one of the garages. Could any of the current students comment on the pros and cons of doing this? Is it difficult to find parking spots?

Garage parking is super convenient, and it's not hard to find spots at all. I park in Garage 4, which is right next to BCM.. I park on levels 5-7 because I get there at like..11 AM, but there are always spots open.
Con: the price.

Garage parking is super convenient, and it's not hard to find spots at all. I park in Garage 4, which is right next to BCM.. I park on levels 5-7 because I get there at like..11 AM, but there are always spots open.
Con: the price.

Thanks! Yeah, I saw the monthly rates on the TMC website :(

Amazing!!! I've sent 6 letters of intents/interest through a combination of snail/email. So, hopefully I'll hear this week.
Sup bruh! Did you get in somewhere cheaper than the U? Still rootin' for you to get my spot at BCM:D

aha

I think I know what this means.

passing along FYI that Baylor has really been changing their acceptances recently relative to OOSer's up to ~24%...keep the faith! :luck:

http://www.bcm.edu/registrar/index.cfm?pmid=12492

OOS students by current classes--

M4 8
M3 13
M2 23
M1 45

Not that you shouldn't keep the faith, but the numbers probably differ so much by year because a lot of OOS people buy property and become in-state by ms2,3 etc. I think the OOS % has remained pretty stable, with minor fluctuations but not as much as above. Good luck regardless!

Not that you shouldn't keep the faith, but the numbers probably differ so much by year because a lot of OOS people buy property and become in-state by ms2,3 etc. I think the OOS % has remained pretty stable, with minor fluctuations but not as much as above. Good luck regardless!

That could be! Seems like an odd way to present the data...someone either was or was not a Texas resident upon acceptance and matriculation. If you are a current student, you should have a good idea. Thanks for the reply/clarification. In any case, we will shop for a condo this weekend-- marrying a Texan is too much to ask! (Just kidding! :)

Hi guys! I got accepted today :love: where's everybody living next year?! I'm completely new to Houston.

I got an acceptance call today as well! I'm OOS...so as a matter of curiosity, does anyone have advice as to how to find affordable condos near the school/graduating students looking to sell such condos?

Last edited:
Hi guys! I got accepted today :love: where's everybody living next year?! I'm completely new to Houston.

I got an acceptance call today as well! I'm OOS...so as a matter of curiosity, does anyone have advice as to how to find affordable condos near the school/graduating students looking to sell such condos?

Congrats to both of you!! I'm OOS but am beginning to lose hope. 38 3.6. blah. Good luck to all of you at Baylor. I won't post on this thread any longer, because it hurts too much. Cheers:)

Don't give up! I'm not 100% sure I'll take the acceptance offer because I have a sizeable scholarship elsewhere.

Congrats! You should join the BCM Class of 2016 Facebook group. A bunch of MS4's have been posting condos for sale on there.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/47921917836/

Also, check the houses/condos for sale on the BCM Class of 2016 website:

http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/index.cfm?PMID=5859

Got the call today!! Was totally not expecting it, but it was everything I had dreamed! Thank you to everyone who withdrew early enough to be considerate to people like me. I just withdrew from my other offer to hopefully do the same. IS

Got the call today!! Was totally not expecting it, but it was everything I had dreamed! Thank you to everyone who withdrew early enough to be considerate to people like me. I just withdrew from my other offer to hopefully do the same. IS

congrats to you and all the newest members of the 2016 class!

if you haven't yet, i'd recommend joining the FB group so you can start meeting your new classmates and getting the lowdown about BCM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/47921917836/

Congrats.

I take it most of the acceptances from now will be IS only?

No, quite the opposite actually. Baylor made an agreement with the other TX schools that after June 1, no one who already holds an acceptance at another TX school can be accepted off the waitlist. This is why Magma 16 said "Thank you to everyone who withdrew early enough to be considerate to people like me." So the chances for OOS people like you will increase next week :)

No, quite the opposite actually. Baylor made an agreement with the other TX schools that after June 1, no one who already holds an acceptance at another TX school can be accepted off the waitlist. This is why Magma 16 said "Thank you to everyone who withdrew early enough to be considerate to people like me." So the chances for OOS people like you will increase next week :)

WOW! Thanks for this tidbit:)

Would any current BCM students who started out-of-state but purchased property in TX mind commenting on (or messaging me) about their debt situation? That's really the only barrier that may cause me to decline my acceptance offer...

Would any current BCM students who started out-of-state but purchased property in TX mind commenting on (or messaging me) about their debt situation? That's really the only barrier that may cause me to decline my acceptance offer...

Fan, we sent you a PM... :)

Is there still much of a chance to get in off the waitlist?

Is there still much of a chance to get in off the waitlist?

Yes, there is still a chance, but it's not good. I've given up at this point and if it happens great, if not then I have another great school to attend. cheers.

What do the financial aid packages typically look like here? I submitted ~6 weeks ago but I haven't heard back. Are there typically a ton of grants or what? Also, how hard is to qualify for work study?

We just got back from "Planet Houston" (Superman II). We put a contract on a condo to establish state residence. Bus # 87 to class in 14 minutes from condo complex. BCM so assumes that an OOSer will establish residence that their scholarship offer was geared toward someone being redefined as IS by M2 year. Tuition savings makes it worth the downside risk on the condo to be sure. ;)

In case you missed it above, any late acceptances (post 6/1) off the WL should be OOSers. :luck:

There is still an ever-so-slight chance everybody! I got in last year June 14th!

Hi Guys!!

Congrats on your acceptance! My name is Crystal and my roommate and I are currently looking for a third FEMALE roommate for 3 bed/3.5 bath that is less than a 5 mile radius from TMC/UH/TSU. We are looking for a non-smoker with no pets, an overall neat individual. We are currently, second year students in pharmacy school, but prefer an individual who is also in a doctorate program as well. We are really laid back and chill. If you are interested please feel free to PM me and if possible we can meet sometime at the end of the week for a meet and greet!

Moving to Houston in a little over 2 weeks. So excited!!! :D

Moving from Houston in a little over 2 days. So excited!!! Haha! Houston is great, but I've been here way too long. Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.