2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1296918-cyborg_pirate_ninja_jesus_super.jpg

170370104_8d2a31362f_d.jpg

Sooooo, vc7777 had alluded to this earlier, but as this is a quickly moving, almost social thread, we like to play and we'd love it if you'd join us!

Should you land a top post, please post a picture! Well, that's what normal threads do. In our threads, you will declare an allegiance with either pirates or ninjas (or in this case cyborg-pirate-ninjas). It's a weeeee bit of a competition, but it's all in good fun.

NO POST PADDING!!!

Members don't see this ad.

CLAPPING_GIF_RE_OK_PEOPLE_I_NEED_YOU_HELP-s300x225-49282.gif

Well done, Myuu. This demonstrates both your dedication to helping Case applicants and your sliiiiiiight addictive tendencies. We loves yuu.

Just out of curiosity, do all the Case posters know each other IRL, or are your interactions strictly limited to SDN?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, do all the Case posters know each other IRL, or are your interactions strictly limited to SDN?
We know each other ;) We've been known to gather for Pho and Mediterranean food at random intervals.

There used to be more of us, but it's filtered down to a handful of ppl. dntpanic will likely poke her head in here too, but she's traveling atm.

Except me...I am terribly mysterious
:shifty:

Actually FluffyRabbit met Myuu over a nice dinner of Pho and didn't even realize it! Hohoho...good times. Good times.

Most of my class actually posted at least a few times in our application thread, believe it or not. And many will probably be making cameos this year at some point.

EDIT:

It's fun coming here and trying to figure out who-is-who! like going to a school for superheros. Yet, imagine if you will, they must all be in their alter-ego all the time. So you are constantly wondering could that be Acoustic? Maybe that's dntpanic, I bet he is LollyTheTrolly...mysterious, huh?

Last edited:
can you apply CCLM and UP?
You can apply to both.

Please note, our admissions process is entirely separate after the secondary.

You will receive two independent outcomes, meaning there are four possibilities:

Accepted both
Rejected both
Accepted UP not CP
Accepted CP not UP

Please note these are not in any particular order

You can apply to both.

Please note, our admissions process is entirely separate after the secondary.

You will receive two independent outcomes, meaning there are four possibilities:

Accepted both
Rejected both
Accepted UP not CP
Accepted CP not UP

Please note these are not in any particular order

ok cool, you're doing an MS in clinical research? That's something that I might consider, I have some clinical research under my belt

ok cool, you're doing an MS in clinical research? That's something that I might consider, I have some clinical research under my belt

I see that. Take a look at our website, and see if this interests you. We train completely separately our first two years from our UP comrades. No grades, no class ranking, and the smallest class I know of (32). We have a portfolio based system of promotion each year.

After our second year, we have the same rights and privileges as the rest of the Case students. CCLCM has an extra year, but the masters degree is free-of-charge if you want it. We are committed to training physician investigators. It is sort of a happy medium between a traditional medical school curriculum and a Mud-phud (MD/PhD) track (which by the way CWRU also has).

I see that. Take a look at our website, and see if this interests you. We train completely separately our first two years from our UP comrades. No grades, no class ranking, and the smallest class I know of (32). We have a portfolio based system of promotion each year.

After our second year, we have the same rights and privileges as the rest of the Case students. CCLCM has an extra year, but the masters degree is free-of-charge if you want it. We are committed to training physician investigators. It is sort of a happy medium between a traditional medical school curriculum and a Mud-phud (MD/PhD) track (which by the way CWRU also has).

ok cool, I'll definitely look into it

Man, cycle starts again...

Interviewed last time for CCLCM, still my number one choice this time! Fingers crossed....

Hey there - potential MSTP applicant here. I'm wondering how much segregation and/or integration there is between the regular MD program, the CCLCM program, and the MSTP? As you know, most schools don't have anything like Case's CCLCM (and I think it's an awesome program, by the way). I'm trying to figure out whether the existence of the CCLCM will have any impact on my experience as an MSTP student, and whether that impact would be positive or negative. Is there a lot of overlap between the two programs?
Thanks!

Hey there - potential MSTP applicant here. I'm wondering how much segregation and/or integration there is between the regular MD program, the CCLCM program, and the MSTP? As you know, most schools don't have anything like Case's CCLCM (and I think it's an awesome program, by the way). I'm trying to figure out whether the existence of the CCLCM will have any impact on my experience as an MSTP student, and whether that impact would be positive or negative. Is there a lot of overlap between the two programs?
Thanks!
MSTP students are 100% with the other students in the UP. Meaning that there are 8 MSTP in my class, who are part of everything that we do for the first two years. They have additional responsibilities, but they are right with us. After those 2 years, they go into another dimension to do their Ph.D. stuffs ;) then they emerge again when that is complete, to go on to finish 3rd and 4th year with the UP students who entered several years after them.

As for CCLCM, we (UP) actually don't interact with them very much. The campuses are separate, by a 20 minute walk or 5-10 min drive, and our programs are different. It's not that there's no love, it's that we don't have much opportunity. Unless we do on our own. Which is something that the student council (which is comprised of both UP and CCLCM) is working on changing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please note that some CCLCM students have elected to also pursue PhDs - although I know nothing about how they are funding their PhD but am pretty sure it isn't through the MTSP.

In fact, there is a second year who is moving to Oxford for his PhD and will return to our dimension when it is all done.

And yes, tuition including your masters (if you get one) are paid for at CCLCM.

Nope, Dr. Frank, director of the MPH program at Case.
Heh, my bad. :oops:

CCLCMer! <3 It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to see Resident under your name!
You had your doubts, did you? :laugh:

Considering that I had to graduate from medical school twice (first from CCLCM and then again from Case), let's hope this pattern of doing everything multiple times does not continue during residency!

We don't actually go to Case, and Case only exists on SDN, so it's a non-issue. :p

No, seriously, vc7777 and I hung out quite a bit last year, and I went ice skating with Myuu a few times before she uber-faceplanted while snowboarding. And as Auriga said, we may or may not have made a few pho runs last year. Although word is that a certain CCLCMer is completely pho-ed out. :laugh:

musik2468 said:
I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if CCLCM's existence would impact your experience as an MSTP. Can you be more specific? What kinds of negative or positive impacts are you wondering about?

As Auriga said, for the first two years, you probably wouldn't be interacting with the CCLCM students at all unless you were working in the same lab as one of them.

As for CCLCM, we (UP) actually don't interact with them very much. The campuses are separate, by a 20 minute walk or 5-10 min drive, and our programs are different. It's not that there's no love, it's that we don't have much opportunity. Unless we do on our own. Which is something that the student council (which is comprised of both UP and CCLCM) is working on changing!
I just want to clarify that the programs are only separated for the first two years. After Step 1 (generally taken at the end of second year), students from both programs do rotations and research together, and the MSTP students rotate with the rest of us as well. The only differences during rotations are that CCLCM students continue to be graded P/F, and taking the shelf exams is optional for us. UP/MSTP students are required to take the shelfs, and they have an H/HP/P/F type of grading system. But students from all three programs rotate at all of the Case-affiliated hospitals, work on the same teams on the wards, attend clinical lectures together, etc.

Oh hi there everyone!

I'm an incoming MS1 (ooooh I like that! MS1!) at Case Western's University Program so although I can't answer questions like "what's Block 2 like" or "what's a preceptorship" I can certainly be your source for any and all questions about applications, interview day, etc. seeing as how I just crawled out the other side of that infernal process. But I honestly know zilch about the curriculum so come ask me again in 8 or 9 months.

:luck: everyone! If you're going to apply here, yay! If you're thinking about it, DO IT. If you're just reading this thread to LOL at the crazy Case kids, refer to vc7777's avatar (i.e. "get off my lawn") and then reconsider your position because Case students are definitely some of the most normal, fun people I've met anywhere.

Hi! You guys have successfully made me very excited about applying to Case, especially the CCLCM program.

So...what percentage of people in the CCLCM program go for an additional degree?

Also, what options are there for figuring out *exactly* what you want to do? I've been working full-time in a lab for 1 year (which was also the lab in which I did my thesis research), very involved in several projects - listed as first author for a poster/presentation/abstract, will be listed as first author in a publication, but that paper's a long way off. I love the excitement of new discoveries.

However, I'm also intrigued by more patient-centered research, specifically end-of-life care. To make a longer story short, my mother died when I was 16. Some of her wishes for dying were not met, which I expected to be normal. Now I work in Boston and volunteer in a hospice residence. I know that the status quo where I lived does not have to be the norm. I'm interested in facilitating the transition to end-of-life care, maybe some public health initiatives, maybe facilitating patient-doctor communication. Just working on figuring out what my BIGGEST passion is regarding research. I'm already pretty certain that I want to be an oncologist.

Thanks for your input! I love this thread and the enthusiasm!

Hi! You guys have successfully made me very excited about applying to Case, especially the CCLCM program.

So...what percentage of people in the CCLCM program go for an additional degree?

Also, what options are there for figuring out *exactly* what you want to do? I've been working full-time in a lab for 1 year (which was also the lab in which I did my thesis research), very involved in several projects - listed as first author for a poster/presentation/abstract, will be listed as first author in a publication, but that paper's a long way off. I love the excitement of new discoveries.

However, I'm also intrigued by more patient-centered research, specifically end-of-life care. To make a longer story short, my mother died when I was 16. Some of her wishes for dying were not met, which I expected to be normal. Now I work in Boston and volunteer in a hospice residence. I know that the status quo where I lived does not have to be the norm. I'm interested in facilitating the transition to end-of-life care, maybe some public health initiatives, maybe facilitating patient-doctor communication. Just working on figuring out what my BIGGEST passion is regarding research. I'm already pretty certain that I want to be an oncologist.

I'm in the UP, but I wanted to let you know about the Hospice of the Western Reserve. Part of the clinical exposure during our first months as medical students is in the form of "RAMP" - there are 4 half day sessions where we spend time (usually) 2 students with 1 physician in OB/GYN, Primary Care, House Calls, and Hospice. I had huge respect for physicians in hospice, but thought it was something I couldn't handle doing myself. After the hospice RAMP, I realized just how deeply rewarding it could be. Their mission, and the way they carry it out, was beautiful. I was genuinely moved. I talked with the physician who spoke with us, who's one of the head physicians, and he was very open to having students shadow him.

:hello: Welcome! I am jealous of the RAMP program auriga mentioned. It is supposed to be great.

The number of students who seek other degrees is highly variable. Currently about HALF of my classs (!!) is enrolled in CRSP. 4 others are taking MPH classes. Some of the engineers are considering the biomed degree. But take all of this with a grain of salt - this is a personal decision.

Are you asking what are options for additional degrees? I'm hurtling down the highway at 80 mph (michigan and I'm a passenger - so its cool CCLCMer and Myuu so chillax). Because I have sasuage-like fingers this little keypad is especially difficult to use. So instead of telling you about the options, ill refer you to:

cclcm.ccf.org

Btw, this is our educational portal. It shows students a personalized schedule (I really mean personalized...room assignments, special preceptorships, etc...). This calendar is now google linked...which is sweet b/c is work seamlessly with my android phone.

Anyway, there is a guest login option. Log into it, and on the right banner is a bunch of links...one of them is a list of masters options currently available.

Sent from my 'driod phone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses and resources! You guys are great!

I have created a FAQ on the first page. Not to replace our awesome question answering, but because a lot of students start on page one of these threads, I wanted to give them something to see at a glance. I'll link to threads and also post stuffs in there, periodically.
Pls do ask questions anytime, though :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have created a FAQ on the first page. Not to replace our awesome question answering, but because a lot of students start on page one of these threads, I wanted to give them something to see at a glance. I'll link to threads and also post stuffs in there, periodically.
Pls do ask questions anytime, though :D

Merging into first post.

Last edited:
Bwahahaa. Mismerged then had to do some fancy remerging. It all works now, I promise.

Sorry if this was asked, but:

If I want to apply to CCLCM and Case for MD, is that same as two different applications, or is it just two different secondaries (one for CCLCM and one for Case MD)? I just want to know the answer mainly because of cost. :laugh:

Wooo for being the first school specific thread on multiple pages!

If I want to apply to CCLCM and Case for MD, is that same as two different applications, or is it just two different secondaries (one for CCLCM and one for Case MD)? I just want to know the answer mainly because of cost. :laugh:

The primary is the same. When you receive the secondary, there will be a box you can check indicating whether you would also like to apply to CCLCM. There is NO added cost to applying to both, it's all one application. Just realize that you can't apply to CCLCM only. Also, if you do decide to apply to CCLCM, there will be more essays. More bang for your buck!

One secondary, but an extra essay or two extra for CCLCM.:)

Wooo for being the first school specific thread on multiple pages!

The primary is the same. When you receive the secondary, there will be a box you can check indicating whether you would also like to apply to CCLCM. There is NO added cost to applying to both, it's all one application. Just realize that you can't apply to CCLCM only. Also, if you do decide to apply to CCLCM, there will be more essays. More bang for your buck!

Sweet! No problem on additional essays. I just didn't want to break the bank too much. :laugh:

One secondary, but an extra essay or two extra for CCLCM.:)

Thanks Myuu!

...Just realize that you can't apply to CCLCM only...
I think there may be some confusion with this statement. Let me clarify:
You must select Case on your primary (that is, there is no separate checkbox on the primary for CCLCM).

However, when you receive your secondary for CWRU, you can elect to apply to CCLCM only, Case only, or both programs.

As far as I understand, there is no requirement that you must apply to the UP if you are interested in the CP.

Hope that helps. :)

You must select Case on your primary (that is, there is no separate checkbox on the primary for CCLCM).

However, when you receive your secondary for CWRU, you can elect to apply to CCLCM only, Case only, or both programs.

As far as I understand, there is no requirement that you must apply to the UP if you are interested in the CP.

Ah got it. I was told previously that you couldn't apply to CCLCM without applying to Case, but I guess they meant that in the primary app sense, not the secondary. Thanks for clearing that up!

That is correct!:)

Is the interview format the same regardless of whether I'm applying for CP/UP? Are CP applicants interviewed at the same time as UP applicants? or do they get interviewed first?

Is the interview format the same regardless of whether I'm applying for CP/UP? Are CP applicants interviewed at the same time as UP applicants? or do they get interviewed first?

The CP office doesn't start reviewing applications until later, so CP-only and UP-CP applicants will interview later than people who just apply UP. In terms of actual interview days, your CP interview will be the day before your UP interview. Can't have you spending loads of cash to come here twice, after all.:luck::xf:

I'm a non-trad with a low-ish undergrad gpa (great post-bac GPA and MCAT make up for it to some degree). My MDApps has my stats and some advice on strengthening your app.
Stats are only one piece of the picture. If your stats are low, put extra effort into making sure the rest of your app is amazing. Case is a school that isn't only about numbers - you must have substance as well.

It seems like as far as overlooking numbers go, most of the accepted students (from what I've seen on mdapps and sdn) have done this^^.

I'd be hesitant to apply because I'm the opposite. Grades are good, verbal score is mehhhhhh.

The CP office doesn't start reviewing applications until later, so CP-only and UP-CP applicants will interview later than people who just apply UP. In terms of actual interview days, your CP interview will be the day before your UP interview. Can't have you spending loads of cash to come here twice, after all.:luck::xf:
I agree with Myuu, but I suspect this to be true mainly near the beginning of the interview season. But the message should be clear: don't freak out if people who applied AFTER you are getting interview spots for UP before you. It doesn't mean you are not being considered.

Patiently awaiting an opportunity to snag the top post.

are both CP and UP panel interviews with one faculty member? do you interview with multiple students?

are both CP and UP panel interviews with one faculty member? do you interview with multiple students?

No idea what CP does, but at UP you have one faculty and one student interviewer.:luck:

Many start out planning to do an MS, but few actually finish. :smuggrin:

In my class, about 1/4 of us got MSes. Four or five of us did CRSP, one person did BME, one did an MPH. There may have been one or two others.

Depends on when you mean. Once you've decided to matriculate to CCLCM, the school will ask you what areas of basic research you are interested in. You will give a few choices, and they will assign you a researcher for your first summer, which is the basic science summer. For the second (clinical research) summer, students typically choose their own mentor. Likewise for the research year.

You have a ton of exposure to potential mentors during med school. The first block of both preclinical years (first and second) is pretty much all research-oriented. During the rest of the first and second years, you have a weekly research seminar. You also can contact PIs on your own to set up research projects. In addition, you are not limited to doing research at CCF. You can do research at any of the Case-affiliated centers, including the Case med school, University Hospitals, Rainbow Babies, Metro (county hospital), and the VA. If you're interested in geriatrics, there will be plenty of opportunities for you. Likewise in onc.

Just want to confirm that this is correct. You must select Case on your AMCAS, and then you specify which program or programs (UP, CCLCM, and/or MSTP) that you want to apply to. However, it is NOT necessary to apply to the UP if you want to only apply to CCLCM, nor vice versa. In fact, many of the more research-oriented applicants will select MSTP and CCLCM but not UP.

For admissions purposes, the two programs function quasi independently, almost as if they were two separate med schools. There are two separate admissions offices and two separate adcomms. It is possible to be invited to interview by one program and not the other, and it is also possible to be accepted to one program and rejected by the other.

If you are invited to interview by both programs, you will have two completely separate interview days. The CCLCM interview day is conducted at CCF, and the UP interview day is conducted at Case, which is about a mile away. The admissions offices will try to coordinate your interview days back-to-back so that you don't have to make two separate trips to Cleveland. Case interviews UP candidates on M-T-F, and CCLCM interviews on M-Th-F, so generally you would either do M/T or Th/F.

The CP office doesn't start reviewing applications until later, so CP-only and UP-CP applicants will interview later than people who just apply UP.
Just wanted to emphasize this. If you apply to both programs, it may delay your hearing back from the UP just because CCLCM starts later and tends to get bogged down over time. In addition, your interview day will be later in the year if you need two interview days back-to-back. However, if you don't mind making two trips to Cleveland, or you live in the area, you can schedule your two interview days separately, which will probably allow you to interview earlier. I also want to say for the record that interviewing later at CCLCM will NOT reduce your chances of getting accepted. CCLCM specifically reserves 1/3 of the seats in the class to be given out at the end of February, after interview season is over.

I'd be hesitant to apply because I'm the opposite. Grades are good, verbal score is mehhhhhh.
Your MCAT score is low enough that either Case program is probably a reach school for you. But if you think either or both of them would be a good fit, you should still apply. About 10% of Case's incoming class are nontrads over age 30, and both programs value diversity highly.

I agree with Myuu, but I suspect this to be true mainly near the beginning of the interview season. But the message should be clear: don't freak out if people who applied AFTER you are getting interview spots for UP before you. It doesn't mean you are not being considered.
Just want to emphasize this again.

Patiently awaiting an opportunity to snag the top post.
Ha, good luck. Myuu is the queen ninja here! :ninja:

There are three CCLCM interviews, all one-on-one. Two are with faculty and one with a student. Typically, one faculty interviewer will focus more on your research, while the other will focus more on the medicine side.

One question about letter from research advisor:

I'll be starting my summer project in lab (also in Ohio, but not Cleveland!) early next month. My initial goal was to submit my AMCAS at the end of June. This doesn't give my PI too much time to write LOR, but I have worked with him several months already to devise research project (i.e. I'm not just going to work on his project; I actually spent months reading up sources and typing up several pages of research proposal for my own project).

Do you think it would be OK to submit that LOR or should I wait? I'm not sure how much better/worse the LOR would be over time, and I really don't want to wait till July to submit my AMCAS (I get my MCAT score in late June). Thoughts?

One question about letter from research advisor:

I'll be starting my summer project in lab (also in Ohio, but not Cleveland!) early next month. My initial goal was to submit my AMCAS at the end of June. This doesn't give my PI too much time to write LOR, but I have worked with him several months already to devise research project (i.e. I'm not just going to work on his project; I actually spent months reading up sources and typing up several pages of research proposal for my own project).

Do you think it would be OK to submit that LOR or should I wait? I'm not sure how much better/worse the LOR would be over time, and I really don't want to wait till July to submit my AMCAS (I get my MCAT score in late June). Thoughts?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the LoR is not required to start the AMCAS verification process. They only come into play once you are getting and returning secondaries. AMCAS has no use for the LoR themselves, they just pass it onto the schools.

In other words, submit whenever you can and make sure all your LoR are submitted within a few weeks of your AMCAS submission.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the LoR is not required to start the AMCAS verification process. They only come into play once you are getting and returning secondaries. AMCAS has no use for the LoR themselves, they just pass it onto the schools.

In other words, submit whenever you can and make sure all your LoR are submitted within a few weeks of your AMCAS submission.

Correct! Always good to have them in early, though!:thumbup:

I want to apply to both programs (Case and CCLCM), but in AMCAS do I select MD only or the MD/Masters when adding the school?

Thanks!

I want to apply to both programs (Case and CCLCM), but in AMCAS do I select MD only or the MD/Masters when adding the school?

Thanks!

MD-only unless you know already that you're applying to one of your grad programs as well.

So this is a really dumb question, but I'm not sure at all.
When I first submit AMCAS then with the fee of $160, that includes ONE school, right? In other words, if I submit AMCAS with a medical school, would I be able to submit my letters of recommendation when I turn in my secondaries (i.e. AMCAS would be verified by that time?)? Or should they be in before AMCAS becomes verified (so about two-three weeks after my submission)?

I guess I'm just not sure because I read somewhere that AMCAS isn't verified if the letters of recommendation that you planned to include aren't sent in by the time you submit the application? Maybe I read it wrong... I know I can add additional LORs, which doesn't affect verification though.

Thanks all! AMCAS is such a pain.. If this is too rudimentary, feel free to refer me to a page in AMCAS Manual. I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing yet (only part about transcript so far).

As I mentioned, I am a first year (for a couple more weeks) at CCLCM. Let me give you my week schedule as a sample of a first year CCLCM student:

Sunday Night
finish SAQs (multilpe choice questions for our own benefit) on last week's material. Research and Answer two CAPPs (essays that are anonymously reviewed by expert faculty on cumulative knowledge). Do reading for Monday morning lecture

Monday
8-10 Seminar - "Immunologic Mechanisms of Allergic Disorders"
We are in our "HIM Block" Hematology Immunology and Microbiology block. CCLCM uses a "two pass" method, systems based curriculum. That is, we do mainly "normal" (physiology) the first year, and re-visit the second year for disease (aka pathology). The "systems" based means we group learning around common systems. For example, Cardiology and Pulmonology (heart and lung) are combined in the first block.

Anyway, we broke up for this seminar on Monday into "small groups" (I know, 32 isn't big to begin with, but 8 is comparatively small). Each small group was lead by someone in Immunology. My group was lead by the director of our transplant immunology department.

10-12 Problem Based Learning
We break into 4 groups of 8. We were presented with a case in a narrative format without any prior knowledge of his condition. We developed questions about what we wanted to know (like "what is thrombocytopenia?") and hypothesis about the case (cheat for everyone: cancer is almost always on the differential :p). At the end of Monday PBL 4 people volunteer to take a particular topic, research it, and present the information as an 'expert' to all of us on Wed.

12-1 Lunch
Was provided lunch by the Geriatrics staff while listening to two presentations about obesity in the elderly and delirium.

1-5 Geriatrics preceptorship
Accompanied geriatrics fellow to nursing home. Was assigned a patient, did a full history, talked about her current problem list, did a mini mental exam, and performed a focused physical (cardiac, lungs, GI). Wrote up note into patient's chart (for real), and then went and found the fellow and gave her an oral presentation of my exam.

7-10 studied for Tuesday seminar
10-11 vegged out

Tuesday
8-10 We usually have Foundations in Clinical Medicine. However, being the last two weeks of the year, FCM was not scheduled. FCM is our medical humanities course. I actually like it a lot. I have no humanities in my background, but it is great to tackle some of these bigger ideas and concerns of becoming a physician. We had a playwright working with us this year and our reflective writing pieces were incorporated by him into a play he put on for the public a couple of months ago. How cool is that?

10-12 Seminar - "How the Immune System Works in Transplantation"
Large group (32) discussion of the current state of transplant science. CCLCM is an interesting place, because we did one of the first near-total face transplants. Some of my upper classmates were involved in the operation, I hear.

1-5 Longitudinal Preceptorship - CCF Solon Family Health Center
As first years, we spend every other week in clinic seeing patients. We observe our "preceptor", see patients alone, and see patients together. We develop skills that I think are pretty advanced for our stage of learning. My preceptor was delayed at a meeting off site, so I saw the first patient on my own before he was even there. Wow! Never thought I would be able to do that a year ago! This isn't mamby-pamby "shadowing" here. I took the chief complaint, full history, focuses review of systems (ROS), and did a brief physical exam. I actually heard my first extra heart sound and so I investigated further and did a complete cardiac exam. When my preceptor was back, I presented the patient, noted the heart sound, and was given mad props for finding it. :thumbup:

This was my last longitudinal preceptorship before break, and so my preceptor and I got to talking about what LC means. He said it isn't important to be ahead of everyone else at this stage. But rather, he said it will come in handy to have this all be familiar before we hit the wards. Why? Because then we can focus our energies on the art of medicine, the pathology, the issues. I said it was like children learning to read and then reading to learn. That point of inversion denotes the beginning of an explosive phase of learning. I'm not very good at the physical exams, or the oral presentations. But I have a confidence I didn't have before. And I am trying to get this all down before the end of second year. I hope to hit the ground running when 3rd/4th year rolls around. Pretty cool right?

5-7 Dinner
Met a classmate at a nice little open air cafe across from Great Lakes Brewery and the Westside Market. Had musssels and a delightful sandwich with a good beer. Indians were playing so lots of people were out.

Wednesday
8-10 Seminar - Pharmacology - Adverse Drug Reactions
"Large group" seminar given by a PharmD. Interactive seminar going over common symptoms and side effects of many of the antibiotics used in the hospital.

10-12 PBL - Part II
Four 15 min presentations on various topics are given by my classmates. Sometimes these are power point, sometimes "chalk-talks". Other times, they are more interactive, mutli-media, etc. We then turn our attention to the case again. This time, more information is revealed to us. It might be a new disease, a complication of treatment, or new symptoms. Wednesday is sort of like "sweeps week" on TV - there is usually a surprise or some other development that catches our attention. The four people who did not present on Wed are assigned topics to present on Friday.

12-5 Studying

5-7 Dinner
Took a friend to a nice taqueria called Mi Pueblo. There Mole is not the greatest, but it is not from a jar (I can tell). So I give them kudos for making it. Otherwise a pleasant dinner.

Thursday
Usually, Thursday is a free day from CCLCM. There are no seminars, no PBL. Many students take Masters classes on these days. I took CMED401 which was Intro to Clinical Research and I am planning on getting a masters in Clinical Research through the Clinic Research Scholars Program (CRSP - or "crisp"). CRSP is done for the semester, so I actually had nothing scheduled this morning.

2:45 - 5
Sub-Acute Preceptorship
Tonight I go to a "step-down" facility and have to do the following:

History taking and a physical
examination on patient – 60 minutes
Prepare for presenting to the preceptor – 15 minutes
Present the history and physical findings to your preceptor – 15 minutes
Preceptor feedback – 15 minutes

I'll tell you how it goes.

Until then, I am typing on SDN, working on my presentation for PBL, and reading up on seminar material for Friday

8-10 Seminar - "Virology II" focusing on HIV and other retroviruses
Based on the room assignment, it looks like it will be a "large group" discussion tomorrow.

11-12 PBL - I will present my information to the group, along with three other members. Then we will wrap up the case, discuss whether or not we hit all of the learning objectives the course directors wanted us to cover (we are not told ahead of time what they are).

1-2:30 Advanced Research in Medicine
ARM is an intimate venue to listen firsthand thought leaders talk about the current direction of their research. The research is usually tied to the block we are in. For example, Dr. Fairchild will be presenting some of his current work on allograph rejection tomorrow, and it ties in nicely with what we have been learning this past week. Two weeks ago Dr. Tuohy came and talked about about his breast cancer vaccine research here at CCF.

Lather.
Rinse.
Repeat.

I got really excited when I read this...It sounds amazing :love::xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.